Animal Kingdom - Most Underrated Park at Disney

I too once thought of AK as "zoo like", and we have a few very good zoos within driving distance from us so wasn't that excited. Then after I saw the Lion King Show, I changed my mind. :) I really enjoyed that, and this trip looking forward to Nemo musical and the Dinosaur ride that we missed last year. I would not say it is my favorite park but that's b/c I really love all the other parks and what each one has to offer us. And ultimately I do think that the MK is my favorite b/c of the Castle and my favorite ride, "It's a Small World".

~April~ said:
Ak is right up there with MK as our top parks.

I often run across posts with people saying how AK is a half day park, I sit here and scratch my head. I will never be able to figure out how people figure AK as a half day park or a park to miss all together.

differences in opinions and likes I guess, but for me AK will always be at least a full day park and one of the best Disney has to offer.

That's what happened to our last trip it was our first family vacation and I was told AK was a half day so I put it on a day we were going to MNSSHP. We missed out on so much and I was upset. We went back on our check out day to see A Bugs Life but still missed so much...

I love AK but have never spent a true full day there. I think last year we spent from like 10am-4pm and still managed to do everything we wanted to do. I don't ride or have any interest in riding Primeval Whirl (carnival type rides make me sick) or Kali River Rapids (I don't want to get soaked). We skipped Nemo because we saw it once and were so bored we wanted to leave halfway through. However, AK does have some of my favorites- Everest, Kilimanjaro, FotLK, Dinosaur, and Flights of Wonder. We also did both forest trails last trip and enjoyed them so much. This year we are spending a FULL day, 9am-8pm, at AK and I am looking forward to it. I would like to have a more leisurely go at the trails and have a chance to ride Everest after dark. We also plan to do the safari in the morning, midday, and afternoon to get the best chance of seeing some animal action. Then we are having a late dinner at Boma when we leave the park. :) I can't wait!

AK is our second favourite park (still love MK!) We adore the animals, the shows. It has our favourite parade, some favourite rides (Dinosaur, the Safari, EE) I'm constantly surprised by people who say it's their least favourite park (ours is HS!) and that it's just a "zoo" It couldn't be further from the truth.

For us we have a 3-way tie for favorite parks: MK, EP and AK. For us, MK is the quintessential theme park and we always open our visits there. When we go to EP we concentrate more on WS rather than FW because that's where we get our meandering enjoyment. We do most of the rides in FW but have never done Innoventions. Could we be missing something there? I don't know, but the kids have never been interested in exploring that area so it will probably forever be a mystery for me!!:confused3 DHS (MGM) for us is maybe a couple of hours a couple of days. We ride the biggies and then boogey to another park. But as a quick aside, we like to walk from WS to DHS, and vice versa, it's easy and enjoyable. However, when we get to AK all bets are off. We spend hours and hours there, meandering the trails, riding what we like, having little lookie-loos at the different architecture and little hidden treasures esaily overlooked, grabbing little tasties along the way, and gear down from high speed gottagettherefastsogogogo to enjoying the day and "smelling the roses". But I will grant that we probably slow down because it's too blasted hot to run in perpetual high gear!:lmao: We get so much enjoyment from the landscaping, shows, animals, everything about it. For us, we spend as much time there as possible because it truly is a park to slow down in and really savor.

I love AK (I am a wildlife photographer) but picking the best park would be like picking my favorite child. Well my favorite cat, I don't have any kids (at least none that I know about).

If you have never been to Animal Kingdom Lodge make a trip to Jamba House. You can spend as much time watching and photographing the animals as you want to. Also eating at Boma's is wonderful.

We love AK. MK is still the favorite for us...just because it is Disney to us. AK though in my opinion has the best mix of shows-thrill rides-family rides....we probably had our best day here on our last trip. Everyone was happy, everyone enjoyed theirselves...and felt like they got to do what interested them...a balance we never find in HS...and barely in Epcot.

The AK is my spouse's favorite! It really is a fun place, and the cool thing is that there is a lot of space to continue to expand. I wish it was open later than it is...but other than that it's awesome!

I agree 100%, as a matter of fact, the more times we go the more we like AK. Last year was the first time we spent two full days there. As my girls get older they seem to enjoy it more and more. For my wife and I it's probably a dead heat between Epcot and AK.

Love the rides, the shows, the atmosphere, Devine, the Tree of Life, seems like every time we go we stumble onto something new.

I love Ak, at least all the individual things in AK.

I dislike the layout and I don't believe the paths are appropriately scaled for the crowds. We always seem to encounter massive congestion problems in the same locations.

Its getting better.

(note the paragraph breaks between thoughts)

We have visited AK many many times since it first opened. AK is much like MGM (the studios) were. Very light on attractions the 1st few years.

But it has now developed itself to where it is no longer only a half day park. Like most thing deisney, the beuty of AK is in the details. you cant just go for the "rides".

I *WANT* To love AK. I think I should, I love the animals and the theming is great, but there's something about it that is just too stressful. I think maybe it's because of the hot blacktop and the trees that everything just seems...claustrophobic to me.

My son with minor sensory issues has trouble there, too.

I enjoy every part of it I've done, but we just can't get ourselves to stay there for a whole day. Still, we go every trip and try to do something new every time. Last time was Flights of Wonder and I kicked myself for not doing it before!!

For those who love the details, consider doing the Backstage tours of AK. Wild by Design tells you the story behind the details -- everything from the patterns in the paths to designing the towns -- and the other gives you a wonderful time backstage with the people who care for the animals. We got to pat a rhino, saw the night houses...it was terrific.

We went back to AK this year. We were in the park from 10 (grumbles at family for being late :rotfl:) to closing at 5. For a little different perspective, below is a list of things we would have wanted to do, but didn't have time for:

It's Tough To Be a Bug
Lion King show
Character trails
Kali
Flights of Wonder
Pangani Trail

Again, these were the things we did NOT do.

In other words, I would say we did about half the park in a (nearly) full day. I sort of understand why some call it a half-day park, but I strongly disagree.

If you have never been to Animal Kingdom Lodge make a trip to Jamba House. You can spend as much time watching and photographing the animals as you want to. Also eating at Boma's is wonderful.
I just read the menu for Boma's and I will be having breakfast there tomorrow. I will definitely check out the animals at Jamba House. Thanks for the tip:yay:

AK is our second favourite park (still love MK!) We adore the animals, the shows. It has our favourite parade, some favourite rides (Dinosaur, the Safari, EE) I'm constantly surprised by people who say it's their least favourite park (ours is HS!) and that it's just a "zoo" It couldn't be further from the truth.
I think the reason for people feeling like a zoo is that when people don't know the layout on their first trip or two, then they can end up in the places that are more zoo-like. For us, my parents planned our first trip, and they didn't know how everything worked. They didn't know the park closed early, which screwed up our day so much, and we didn't get to ride any rides. Well, they did, my husband, 4 year old daughter, and I got separated, so we didn't get to ride anything b/c we had no clue where to go.

So...our first trip went like this:
1. arrived around 11 AM (super late, but we were so tired!)
2. lunch at Tusker House
3. Safari
4. Rafiki's Planet Watch, Conservation Station, Habitat Habit, Affection Section (Snore!)
5. Separated from family, so we walked around a bit and explored some shops
6. It's Tough to be a Bug
7. My family finally tried to figure out where we were and had us meet them at Kali just in time to find out the park was closing and we couldn't ride.

If your only time at AK is spent in those areas, you maybe can see why some people would feel it is very zoo-like. Most of what we experienced was the Safari and #4 on my list. I hated #4. Hated it. I won't ever go back. We didn't get to ride all the wonderful rides, and I still haven't seen any shows. That is part of the magic I think. I am looking forward to experiencing them without wanting to kill my mother b/c it is too hot and she is crabby and evil. Haha!

I enjoyed AK much more last year though when I got to see more, so hopefully I will love it after this trip. I think I need some convincing!

For us we have a 3-way tie for favorite parks: MK, EP and AK. For us, MK is the quintessential theme park and we always open our visits there. When we go to EP we concentrate more on WS rather than FW because that's where we get our meandering enjoyment. We do most of the rides in FW but have never done Innoventions. Could we be missing something there? I don't know, but the kids have never been interested in exploring that area so it will probably forever be a mystery for me!!:confused3 DHS (MGM) for us is maybe a couple of hours a couple of days. We ride the biggies and then boogey to another park. But as a quick aside, we like to walk from WS to DHS, and vice versa, it's easy and enjoyable. However, when we get to AK all bets are off. We spend hours and hours there, meandering the trails, riding what we like, having little lookie-loos at the different architecture and little hidden treasures esaily overlooked, grabbing little tasties along the way, and gear down from high speed gottagettherefastsogogogo to enjoying the day and "smelling the roses". But I will grant that we probably slow down because it's too blasted hot to run in perpetual high gear!:lmao: We get so much enjoyment from the landscaping, shows, animals, everything about it. For us, we spend as much time there as possible because it truly is a park to slow down in and really savor.

I enjoy Innoventions. Even if you don't want to do the whole thing on your next trip, maybe it could be one of those things you try just because you have never tried it. We try to do several new things on each trip. Last trip I tried Ellen's Energy Adventure. No thank you. My husband took a 40 minute nap. There are only two things I will never do at Disney again. #4 on my list above, and EEA. Anyway, there are some really fun things to try in there, so even if you only try one, you can add it to your list of new things tried. We did more in there this last year, and I really enjoyed it.

This year my must do list includes: All of the things I have missed at AK, The Hall of Presidents, Tom Sawyer Island, Country Bear Jamboree, the parts of Fantasyland that opened after September, maybe Dumbo (I am not a fan of circle rides), maybe Liberty Square Riverboat, the KTTK tour, more of the shows in WS at EPCOT, and a couple new restaurants (Narcoossee's, Raglan Road, maybe Be our Guest, and one more that I am not sure of)

Anyway, just a suggestion!

I agree with others that it is HOT!!!! That really cut down on our enjoyment last time because we went there on a 97 degree day and it was just really painful. I couldn't figure out why the heat was so much worse at AK, but it definitely was!

That said, we loved AK and hope to do two days there on this trip. For me, it was the theming!! I was totally blown away when we walked into Asia- the theming and the details are just incredible! EE is our favorite ride, and being DLR regulars, we loved that Dinosaur is like Indiana Jones but scarier, lol. :) loved the safari and the Finding Nemo show (we ended up there just for the ability to be inside in the AC lol, but loved it!)... We're definitely watching the Lion King show this time. I definitely agree that it is underrated.

I *WANT* To love AK. I think I should, I love the animals and the theming is great, but there's something about it that is just too stressful. I think maybe it's because of the hot blacktop and the trees that everything just seems...claustrophobic to me.

My son with minor sensory issues has trouble there, too.

I enjoy every part of it I've done, but we just can't get ourselves to stay there for a whole day. Still, we go every trip and try to do something new every time. Last time was Flights of Wonder and I kicked myself for not doing it before!!

I have to things that I think will help you. First go at rope drop, second make a 11:30 or 12:00 reservation for Tusker House. Those two things make the park so much better, the table service lunch just makes it less stressful and cools you down.

I enjoy Innoventions. Even if you don't want to do the whole thing on your next trip, maybe it could be one of those things you try just because you have never tried it. We try to do several new things on each trip. Last trip I tried Ellen's Energy Adventure. No thank you. My husband took a 40 minute nap. There are only two things I will never do at Disney again. #4 on my list above, and EEA. Anyway, there are some really fun things to try in there, so even if you only try one, you can add it to your list of new things tried. We did more in there this last year, and I really enjoyed it.

This year my must do list includes: All of the things I have missed at AK, The Hall of Presidents, Tom Sawyer Island, Country Bear Jamboree, the parts of Fantasyland that opened after September, maybe Dumbo (I am not a fan of circle rides), maybe Liberty Square Riverboat, the KTTK tour, more of the shows in WS at EPCOT, and a couple new restaurants (Narcoossee's, Raglan Road, maybe Be our Guest, and one more that I am not sure of)

Anyway, just a suggestion!

We might try Innovations. I never say never to anything. We'll see what's flying and maybe try the rollercoaster thing. My wacky son might like that! And I can HIGHLY recommend Raglan Road. My daughter's an Irish dancer and we went for dinner a couple of years ago (excellent food) but she didn't get up and dance!! We're definitely doing the Wild Africa Trek this year and am sooo looking forward to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter