Animal Kingdom - Most Underrated Park at Disney

If you ever visit STL, go to the Zoo. It's FREE!! You only pay for parking which is around $10.
Plus a fee for the Children's Zoo . . . plus railroad tickets . . . plus the stingrays . . . . :rotfl:

(I love the St. Louis Zoo too!)

(But it's no Animal Kingdom!)

Plus a fee for the Children's Zoo . . . plus railroad tickets . . . plus the stingrays . . . . :rotfl:

(I love the St. Louis Zoo too!)

(But it's no Animal Kingdom!)

there are very few zoos that have the level of exhibits like Kilamanjaro Safari or Maharajah Jungle Trek. Bronx and San Diego are at that level but not much else

AK was the only Disney park my wife and I hit when we went to Orlando in '98. We love zoos anyway (and yes, STL has a great one), but nothing quite compares to KS. Really enjoy the shows and several rides as well. Definitely my favorite park. Would love to see it expanded to cover more "continents" though :thumbsup2

Absolutely love AK! It is my favorite by far. But, I don't like Epcot much. So I guess everyone has their own tastes. On our next trip we might not even go to Epcot, but would never miss AK!

I was soft planning the days for our upcoming trip to Disney and came to the conclusion that Animal Kingdom is the most underrated (and perhaps best) park at Disney. I know that I never quite appreciated how neat the park is. Aside from the outstanding theming, Animal Kingdom contains a number of the best shows and rides at all of Disney. In fact, I'm not sure even Magic Kingdom (long my favorite) can compare. You've got thrill rides in Expedition Everest and Dinosaur (though not a big fan of that one), great shows in Flights of Wonder, Lion King and Nemo, the Pangani and Maharajah trails, Tough to Be a Bug, and one of the best rides around in the Kilimanjaro Safaris. I admit that a few years ago I said Animal Kingdom was just a "zoo" but was pretty clearly wrong about that. Although it doesn't have as many rides as Magic Kingdom, the rides are among the best Disney offers. The only rides (in my opinion) that compare to those at Animal Kingdom are Big Thunder Mountain (a classic) and Splash Mountain (my favorite). Magic Kingdom just doesn't have the shows to compare. While we like Mickey's Philharmagic there's nothing else at Magic Kingdom that has the "awe" factor.

I've loved AK from the very beginning, so totally agree with you!

Having a good cup of coffee while watching the gorillas have their breakfast, three other people around.....priceless.

Lots of AK lovers here I see. It's just amazing however, that over the past number of years, when ever questions are ask on this board like; How much time do people spend in each park (half days, whole days)?, or which park would you skip if you had to? By far, with out exception, AK is the one that the largest number people say they would skip, or spend no more then a 1/2 day in. Just an observation. I would be interested in knowing, what % of the people who love AK the most, are locals (live within 200 miles of the parks), or come to WDW consistantly more than once per year?

I would be interested in knowing, what % of the people who love AK the most, are locals (live within 200 miles of the parks), or come to WDW consistantly more than once per year?

1,000 miles away and have only been there twice.

We love the Animal Kingdom. So much detail to slow down and soak in. DH found a Safari helmet and the kids painted some of their favorite Disney characters on it. He's a big kid there:)

:wizard:
Holly

seus-mouse said:
We love the Animal Kingdom. So much detail to slow down and soak in. DH found a Safari helmet and the kids painted some of their favorite Disney characters on it. He's a big kid there:)

:wizard:
Holly

That's actually a cool idea. Nice!

I do like DAK a lot!:goodvibesi have not seen DeVine in years, but there are posts here that mention her. How have I missed her?:headache:

bobbiwoz said:
I do like DAK a lot!:goodvibesi have not seen DeVine in years, but there are posts here that mention her. How have I missed her?:headache:

She is still there I saw her last week

hookedonears said:
I would be interested in knowing, what % of the people who love AK the most, are locals (live within 200 miles of the parks), or come to WDW consistantly more than once per year?

900 mi. away. Historically, we come every 4-5 yrs

hookedonears said:
Lots of AK lovers here I see. It's just amazing however, that over the past number of years, when ever questions are ask on this board like; How much time do people spend in each park (half days, whole days)?, or which park would you skip if you had to? By far, with out exception, AK is the one that the largest number people say they would skip, or spend no more then a 1/2 day in. Just an observation. I would be interested in knowing, what % of the people who love AK the most, are locals (live within 200 miles of the parks), or come to WDW consistantly more than once per year?

I didn't really care for AK until I went on the Wild by Design tour a few years back now, it's my favorite park! I wrote a blog about it recently for The DIS. You can find it here:

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/08/25/seeking-adventure-rediscovering-disneys-animal-kingdom-park/

Oh and I'm not local. :)

Been wanting to like this park since it opened, but I just can't seem to find the love for it, like the other parks. When it first opened I dug it a little, but over the next several years I just grew tired of it, despite really enjoying the river rapids. I was really disappointed with the midway section, and to this day don't agree with that decision.

With that said, I keep trying to like it or at least, find NEW things about it to like. I do enjoy the bugs life show, and caught the Nemo show for the first time last year ( which is very well done). I feel like Dino land needs a solid upgrade. I look forward to Avatar land, but that is years in the distance. The train to no where...ugh. Really wish that train went around the entire park.

I think when I boil it down, I compare the eye candy visuals that are pretty much everywhere at Epcot/MK/HS, and i'm seeing mostly green shrubs and trees in between my travels to other lands in AK, I wish there was just something more...:confused3

I feel like Dino land needs a solid upgrade.

Dinoland does not fit... but it's okay. Dinosaur is a great ride, mimics the Indiana Jones ride in DL. Primeval Whirl is one of my kids' favorites.

I look forward to Avatar land

Ditto! Avatar land will bring a much needed boat ride to the park.

The train to no where...ugh. Really wish that train went around the entire park.

I don't think it should go around the park, but I'd love if it simply had a station on the other side... by Asia in the Maharajah Jungle Trek area. Then you could take the train from Africa to the Conservation Station, then when you come back, get off in Asia and you save some walking. It would also be a means of transportation, being a relaxing way to get from Asia to Africa and vice versa.

Still, AK is really a great park. If you force it to be as action-packed as the MK, you'll probly be disappointed... likewise if you try to do the AK in a 1/2 day and then hop, you're missing out on the biggest benefits of this park... That it is relaxing to just be there and take your time... It's different from any other park in that it is thoroughly tree covered and cool... The wilderness explorer kits are outstanding for younger kids. (if you're an adult they wouldn't really apply to you). We like to plug the AK into the middle of our trip because it breaks it up w a slower more relaxing day.

AK is my favorite park. My wife is a photographer and scrapbooker-for-hire. That automatically means that we take our time in every park. That also makes AK the most interesting park at WDW, because there are so many cool things to see! But in order to truly enjoy it, you MUST TAKE YOUR TIME! If you try to commando AK, you will be a hot, irritating mess! If you try to devote only a couple of hours there because you only want to ride EE, Dinosaur and the Safari and bounce to another park for your lunch ADR- I can guarantee that you will have a miserable time.

But if you make it a point to stay at AK the entire day- eat there and do more than just the rides, you will have a great time! Just make sure that you stay hydrated and prepare to be outside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter