Animal Kingdom - Most Underrated Park at Disney

We might try Innovations. I never say never to anything. We'll see what's flying and maybe try the rollercoaster thing. My wacky son might like that! And I can HIGHLY recommend Raglan Road. My daughter's an Irish dancer and we went for dinner a couple of years ago (excellent food) but she didn't get up and dance!! We're definitely doing the Wild Africa Trek this year and am sooo looking forward to it.
Yeah, even if you only try one new thing, at least you can say you tried it! Last year we tried Club Cool, some new things at Innoventions, Ellen's Energy Adventure, Journey into Imagination with Figment (we just never knew it was there! It isn't advertised well. We loved it though!), Agent P's World Showcase Adventure, Eating around the world (Food and Wine festival), Pirates League, MNSSHP, Winnie the Pooh, Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, Barnstormer, Splash'N'Soak station, Teacups (I had avoided them b/c of my hate of circle rides), Stitch, Buzz (my first time, not my family's), Primeval Whirl, Backlot tour (My mom and I got to be the actors!), One Man's Dream, Whispering Canyon (yuck.), and Mama Melrose (yum.). Wow! We actually had a lot of firsts this last trip!

I just love forcing myself to do new things. I usually am glad I did. Of course, I will still do all my faves repeatedly, but I want to experience everything at least once!

Thanks for the recommendation! It confirms to me that I made the right choice! That is awesome that your daughter is an Irish dancer. That is a beautiful art. My children are in the martial arts. So far we have 4 blackbelts in the family, myself included, and are on the verge of 4 more black belts. 2 kids will be testing for their junior black, and two will be testing for their second blacks, but this time it will be adult black belt, so it is a major accomplishment. Keeping kids busy helps them stay on track!

Considering my website, I have to agree.

DAK is my favorite park. The design and aesthetics are better than anywhere else in WDW. The beauty of the park is in the details

The unfortunate thing about the park is why I love it. Its not like other parks. Its not meant for touring plans and going from attraction to attraction.

Its meant to meander and appreciate. Enjoy the funny signs in Dinoland, the details of the Maharajah Jungle Trek or the details of Harambe or the Flame Tree BBQ.

The stores too are great. IMO, it has the three best shows in Disney

and its food, especially CS is top notch

Jambo :)

Considering my website, I have to agree.

DAK is my favorite park. The design and aesthetics are better than anywhere else in WDW. The beauty of the park is in the details

The unfortunate thing about the park is why I love it. Its not like other parks. Its not meant for touring plans and going from attraction to attraction.

Its meant to meander and appreciate. Enjoy the funny signs in Dinoland, the details of the Maharajah Jungle Trek or the details of Harambe or the Flame Tree BBQ.

The stores too are great. IMO, it has the three best shows in Disney

and its food, especially CS is top notch

Jambo :)
Agree re the counter service food. Columbia Harbor House at MK is good but nothing else compares to the options at Animal Kingdom.

And even if you aren't an animal person, Flights of Wonder, Safari, and the trails are really, really neat.

DAK showcases birds better than anyone. Flights of Wonder and th free flight avairies really lets u appreciate them

I think maybe it's because of the hot blacktop and the trees that everything just seems...claustrophobic to me.

Some people have mentioned it being really hot at AK...is it because of the blacktop? It's Florida, so I'd expect it to be hot at any of the WDW parks (that's why we NEVER go in the summer).

My family always thinks it's a 1/2 day park. I always feel like we've missed something there. We usually just get to do a few rides and maybe one show. I hope to see more this next time when we go for morning EMH and then a late breakfast at Tusker House.

What are the trails some people have mentioned on this thread? Are they nature trails? How long are they? I love hiking...not sure I could talk everyone into that when they are in "theme park mode."

I don't enjoy Rafiki's Planet Watch and Conservation Station. I won't ever go there again. That part felt like a zoo to me, though I did enjoy the train ride.

I would definitely urge folks to give Planet Watch/Conservation Station a try. You can watch live veterinary procedures, and they bring out animals for folks to touch (like reptiles!). They also have a really good little "show" on the small stage by the petting area. It's about a 15-minute presentation with the zookeepers bringing out animals and talking about them. I've seen several birds, a hedgehog, a porcupine, and others animals during that show. They'l even stay after the show to answer questions bout the animals. Very informative and fun.

As you can tell, I'm a bit AK fan! I can never figure out why some folks dislike it so much. But I definitely think it's a park that you need to slow down to enjoy; if you rush from ride to ride, you'll miss 75% of the cool things AK has to offer! Things like DeVine, Flights of Wonder, the veterinary procedures at Planet Watch, etc.

I think it is accurately rated. Some people do not care for it and some love it. I think it averages out.

Some people have mentioned it being really hot at AK...is it because of the blacktop? It's Florida, so I'd expect it to be hot at any of the WDW parks (that's why we NEVER go in the summer).

My family always thinks it's a 1/2 day park. I always feel like we've missed something there. We usually just get to do a few rides and maybe one show. I hope to see more this next time when we go for morning EMH and then a late breakfast at Tusker House.

What are the trails some people have mentioned on this thread? Are they nature trails? How long are they? I love hiking...not sure I could talk everyone into that when they are in "theme park mode."

The 2 main trails are: Pagani which is next to Kilimanjaro Safari - you'll find, among other animals and and exhibits, an active aviary here, as well as (our favorite) meerkats and mountain gorillas. It's not too long of a trail but you'll want to take your time and see everything.

The 2nd mail trail is the Maharaja Jungle Trek where you'll find bengal tigers, free roaming birds, bats, and other interesting animals. Both these trails are, in my opinion, not to be missed.

There is another trail that you can pick up by the Tree of Life that features flamingoes, ring tailed lemurs, and a very ugly catfish shark. You'll also find kangaroos, otters, etc. Lots of really neat animals. The walkways to Discovery Island are the home of interesting animals that you really have to stand quietly and LOOK to see them. You'll be able to spot right away some very colorful macaws, you'll find wallabies, a realy ugly iguana, saddle billed storks, etc.

If it hasn't already been stressed, this is a park to take your time in and really look to see what's here. It's wonderful! And by all means try Rafiki's Planet Watch. The train ride alone is worth the trip.

We really enjoyed Animal Kingdom on our last trip this past MLK weekend. Everyone in our little trio agreed it was our favorite day. I really had the feeling that everytime you turned a corner, there was something to look at, but not in the big splashy headliner ride kind of way.

After KS, we headed towards Asia, and spent some time playing African Drums; we caught the end of Divine's act; we saw monkeys swinging over head from temple ruins; we saw birds and more birds; and lots of animals. My DD is at the age where it was all really fun for her, so of course, it was fun for us all!

After our day at AK, we headed to the Hoop De Doo Review; which was so much fun too. It really was a great day!

I enjoyed AK more the last we went but it wasn't quite so hot. I'd like to try it one day when it's real cool because I bet that it would be much more pleasant.

I really do like FOTLK, the safari, Dinosaur and the trails. I haven't really found a place that we MUST eat at.

I am not sure if it is the blacktop or not. All I know is that it is very deceptive when you first walk in with the tree cover. In fact I actually remarked on how lush and shady it was. Then I got over by EE and wanted to die. First of all...I think it is harder for me to breathe b/c of the moisture from the plants b/c I have asthma. Not everyone will have that problem though. Second, at EE it feels as though there is absolutely no shade. I felt like I was being baked by the sun.

I would definitely urge folks to give Planet Watch/Conservation Station a try. You can watch live veterinary procedures, and they bring out animals for folks to touch (like reptiles!). They also have a really good little "show" on the small stage by the petting area. It's about a 15-minute presentation with the zookeepers bringing out animals and talking about them. I've seen several birds, a hedgehog, a porcupine, and others animals during that show. They'l even stay after the show to answer questions bout the animals. Very informative and fun.

As you can tell, I'm a bit AK fan! I can never figure out why some folks dislike it so much. But I definitely think it's a park that you need to slow down to enjoy; if you rush from ride to ride, you'll miss 75% of the cool things AK has to offer! Things like DeVine, Flights of Wonder, the veterinary procedures at Planet Watch, etc.
It is just a personal preference. I am not trying to stop anyone! I personally don't enjoy those kinds of demonstrations. I get the same thing when we go to our local zoo. I'm not kidding! My zoo does the exact same thing! I understand that some people really eat it up, but it just isn't my thing. It never has been. I honestly have never been a fan of going to the zoo. I have had two pleasant trips to the zoo my whole life! My best trip was just this last summer when I found out that one of our elephants used to be a WDW elephant!!! It made my day!

It really is nothing against animals or Disney, it just is not what I like. My whole family was a little disappointed in that section, which is weird with my kids being homeschooled. I think my littlest two were the most thrilled, but they prefer the other sections, so we will just hit those from now on. I am sure I will enjoy AK a lot more when I can see the shows and concentrate on theming and rides. That is what I go to Disney for.

So...those who may enjoy that section, feel free to go! I don't enjoy it, so I will keep away! It is better for everyone that way!

ZoZo said:

Jambo fellow DAK fan

For vet procedures if u want to see them get there early. They like to have all day for the animals to recover. So they do them early usually finishing by noon. And usually during the week

We liked Animal kingdom well enough but it has been a park we skipped. We have planned a full day in the park on our upcoming trip because I think now that our kids are a smudge older they will appreciate the park in a different way. Also we have Donald's safari breakfast booked and that was one of my favorite character meals :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Jambo fellow DAK fan

For vet procedures if u want to see them get there early. They like to have all day for the animals to recover. So they do them early usually finishing by noon. And usually during the week

Usually, but not always. We saw an antelope getting stitches right before park closing a couple of weeks ago.

When we were living in Orlando, AK was always our park of choice if we had an itch to hit up a park for an afternoon.

Usually, but not always. We saw an antelope getting stitches right before park closing a couple of weeks ago.

sure, that was unplanned. Planned exams and procedures are early to give time to recover from anesthesia

DD16 and I love AK! On our last Disney trip we made it our first park to visit ( we usually go to MK) I love everything about it ( except for dinoland lol) :rotfl:

We don't really like Dinoland, but my kids are older and we don't like Fantasyland either. In fact, only ride in Fantasyland we do any more is Peter Pan. I can't stand Small World and Pooh is just ok.

We went to AK three visits ago when the girls were 3 and 4. I was really disappointed. There just didn't seem to be any small kid areas for their age. Oh and it was hotter than you know what! I swore I would never go back.

A friend changed my mind and told me to at least go back and see the shows. So two trips ago we planned a half day. We went, saw Finding Nemo and it was FANTASTIC!!! LOVED IT!! But...my girls still weren't old enough to enjoy more than just the Dino's that go in a circle.

Last trip we skipped it all together. I still really want to see Lion King, or It's a Bugs Life. We don't go for the "Zoo atmosphere". We have an incredible Zoo here in St. Louis that we frequent all the time. If you ever visit STL, go to the Zoo. It's FREE!! You only pay for parking which is around $10.

Anyway, I'm going to try and talk the husband into visiting this park one morning so that we can give it another shot. Our girls will be 8 and 7, so more things to do.

Is Kali Rapid Rivers (??) themed like Splash Mountain??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter