• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Pass Worth It?

Echoing what others are saying here: if you account for the discounts, included memory maker, and can manage at least two trips in a calendar year you'll come out ahead!

Another perk is being able to go to the parks on your arrival and departure day without "using" a whole day ticket. I love being able to just drop my luggage off at the resort and then go spend an evening in a park. It was also nice to run into MK on departure day and pick up a few last minute gifts. I do agree with the others, I have made the 8 hour drive to WDW three times this year and will be back again in Feb and then in April.

Anyone here on the west coast? I'm planning 2, 6 to 7 day trips next year, maybe even 3 so an AP makes sense. But I can't find a WDW AP discount on AAA. Is that discount just for east coast?

When I ran the numbers for our family, the only way it worked out to be an advantage would be if we made two trips within 12 months. Even with the AP dining and resort discounts, memory maker, etc... , it just didn't come out to our advantage for AP's versus 10 day package with park tickets.

Now, make it two trips in one year, and suddenly the cost was better with AP's. Every situation is different and you really need to know the specifics (dining costs, length of stay, AP discount versus general public discount) to make a clear call.

Another thing to keep in mind... if you planned on taking advantage of a free dining offer, that won't work with AP's

Dan

So I already have 2 trips planned to Disney World for next year and was wondering if it would be a better deal to get an annual pass than buying tickets for each visit or just buy tickets? Any advice would be a great help
I recently did the math and figured if you are going AT LEAST 7-8 park days in one calendar year, it is about the same cost. Two 4-day trips(with hoppers) are about the same cost as annual pass .. add in the perks (parking, memmory maker, discounts) and flexibility and it is a no brainer.

The only downside is the huge up-front cost.

I recently did the math and figured if you are going AT LEAST 7-8 park days in one calendar year, it is about the same cost.

There are way too many factors to make a statement like that. We plan to stay 9-10 nights and it still didn't make sense for us to purchase AP's. Not even close. Here's why:

• We don't normally park hop so we can purchase base tickets
  • We stay onsite so the free parking is of no benefit
  • We don't purchase memory maker anymore, so that is something we wouldn't have purchased
  • We spend, maybe, $100 in merchandise during our stay so that AP discount is minimal.
  • OOP, we can spend around $1800 in food, but there is no guarantee that the 20% AP discount will continue into next year. At 10%, at we are only saving $180 in food, and at best $360 for a 20% discount.

A 9 night stay for our family of five at POR, with 9 day park tickets is $4502. That assumes that I will get a 10% room discount, the bare minimum general public discount.

Platinum Annual passes alone are $4148, and doesn't include any lodging, which in our case is another $2200 or so.

So no, there is no way the numbers work for us. Now, if we made two decent length stays in one year, then yeah, we would come out ahead.

So, there are too many scenarios for blanket statements

Dan

Last edited:
There are way too many factors to make a statement like that. We plan to stay 9-10 nights and it still didn't make sense for us to purchase AP's. Not even close. Here's why:

• We don't normally park hop so we can purchase base tickets
  • We stay onsite so the free parking is of no benefit
  • We don't purchase memory maker anymore, so that is something we wouldn't have purchased
  • We spend, maybe, $100 in merchandise during our stay so that AP discount is minimal.
  • OOP, we can spend around $1800 in food, but there is no guarantee that the 20% AP discount will continue into next year. At 10%, at we are only saving $180 in food, and at best $360 for a 20% discount.

A 9 night stay for our family of five at POR, with 9 day park tickets is $4502. That assumes that I will get a 10% room discount, the bare minimum general public discount.

Platinum Annual passes alone are $4148, and doesn't include any lodging, which in our case is another $2200 or so.

So no, there is no way the numbers work for us. Now, if we made two decent length stays in one year, then yeah, we would come out ahead.

So, there are too many scenarios for blanket statements

Dan

I would add to my blanket statement that if you are making at least TWO separate trips.

Sure a single 9 day trip is cheaper.

My point is two 4-day trips (with hoppers) is about the same as an annual pass. The extras (whether you normally get them or not) is just gravy.

If hoppers aren’t your thing then two trips of 5+ days each is where the math falls.

Although it doesn't go into the calculations about whether an AP is "worth it," there's some intangible value to having that card in my wallet too... like I'm carrying around this secret power with me to enter the theme parks whenever I want.

Sadly, my annual pass expires next month and I won't be able to squeeze in one last trip (since I live in California). But I agree that the "savings" that you get definitely encourages you to visit more often. This year, when I saw a cheap flight for $204 round trip, you bet that I hopped on that plane across the country just for an extra 3-day solo weekend. Of course, I ended up spending for a hotel room, meals and a couple of t-shirts too. All "discounted" of course. I don't take for granted that I'm pretty lucky, but that impulse vacation wasn't free.

After taking a short break for my wallet, I'm sure I'll become an AP holder again sometime again next year!

Although it doesn't go into the calculations about whether an AP is "worth it," there's some intangible value to having that card in my wallet too... like I'm carrying around this secret power with me to enter the theme parks whenever I want.

Sadly, my annual pass expires next month and I won't be able to squeeze in one last trip (since I live in California). But I agree that the "savings" that you get definitely encourages you to visit more often. This year, when I saw a cheap flight for $204 round trip, you bet that I hopped on that plane across the country just for an extra 3-day solo weekend. Of course, I ended up spending for a hotel room, meals and a couple of t-shirts too. All "discounted" of course. I don't take for granted that I'm pretty lucky, but that impulse vacation wasn't free.

After taking a short break for my wallet, I'm sure I'll become an AP holder again sometime again next year!
Yes, I totally agree with you about your SECRET POWER....I wish I lived closer (Minnesota) so I could visit more often... airfare is a biggie for me... so the years where I can plan more trips ahead of time within the 12 month time I'll probably do it again... But for the next few years, I have tried to justify paying that $705 to renew, and I just can't. :guilty:

I'm hoping that I can get in a trip or two before the huge Star Wars crowds descend.... (not a big crowd lover....)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter