Anyone else using upcoming Disney trip as motivation to lose weight?

Good luck all.......on maint. with WW ( after loseing 52lbs. 1 1/2 yrs ago) but decided 4 weeks ago to try and lose 5 xtra lbs. for our 10-10-07 trip to WDW. Have not been too successful, only lost 3 lbs (that I will probably gain back on the first day at the F&W fest.) but not giving up hope. I still have 4 1/2 days left. And if I don't hit my goal....at least I'll be in the mode to jump back on my WW when we get home. BUt on vacation, No Dieting Allowed, just food and fun. Enjoy everyone....we can always diet when we get home.:woohoo: :woohoo: :cheer2: :woohoo: :woohoo:

PS. a couple of the girls at work have tried nutrisystem and Jenny Craig, have paid lots of money and not lost much after 6mos. My boss (female) and I did WW and hit our goal in 6 mos. and have maintained very well, (went from a size 14 to a size 6). I don't go to meetings....just joined online (much cheaper).

wezee, congrats on losing the weight AND keeping it off. Just because you did not lose as much as you wanted does not mean you did not succeed. You done great gal~! I am former Buckeye myself.

BTW, one of the best meals I had at DW was at Flame Tree at AK. They have a fantastic fruit platter with a honey yogurt dip for a good price too!! Not your usual common fruit pieces either.

SG/Linda

Thanks Linda....always feels great to get a big thumbs up. I am positive that ya all will look just great for vacation. Keep up the good work.;)

I never even thought to look and see if there was a thread for this. I have adapted a healthy lifestyle (not diet- diet is short term) for the past 6 months with disney as my motivation. So far I have lost 42 lbs. I was following WW and then a coworker told me about sparkpeople.com. Basically the same a WW except its free and has alot of online support. Its a calorie counter, nutritional education and fitness counter and so much more. My visual motivation (which is pretty pitiful) is me in a mickey t-shirt...tucked in!!!:banana: I haven't been able to buy one because they were too tight. Now I can. I still have 40 lb to lose but I made it half way. It funny how happy disney can make us when we aren't even there. I started planning this trip a year ago when I was recovering from a hysterectomy and was very sick with post op infections and getting depressed. Now are trip is only a month away. WOOHOOO!!:cool1: Can't wait to compare my pics from 1.5 y ago to this year with mickey.

Dieters--- after years and years of dieting and gaining it all back plus more I have found the secret...THERE IS NOT SECRET CURE!!! It takes time and persistence and you have to find a way to eat differently for the rest of your life not just till you lose the weight. Thats why it comes back. Can't believe it has taken me soooo long to figure this out. So that means that you can have things that you crave sometimes but most of the time you eat healthy and stay away from simple carbs (they just make you crave more)! I have a few coworkers who have followed Sparkpeople.com too and have lost lots of weight. It really just shows you in small steps how to change to a healthier lifestyle.

Good luck in your weight loss goals. You just need to find something that works for you. Thats the key!!!!:teacher:

MICKEY WON'T RECOGNIZE US!!!:love:

I tried nutrisystem! I thought it was terrible! the food was awful!!! it made dieting that much harder for me.. I dont want to discourage you i am just trying to warn you to not waste your money. Some people love nutrisystem and I dont get it. Nutrisystem to me is a diet!!!! I felt deprived the whole time i did it. and adding water to so called "eggs" was just disgusting. the only two good things on nutrisystem in my opinion were the pizza and chocolate cake but if you think about it is full of carbs and junk

If you are looking for something similiar to nutrisystem try zone chefs or zone delivery.. the food is 100% better and you will not feel like you are depriving yourself. I have done the zone delivery for the past month and lost 9 pounds!

I tried nutisystems, and found it to be VERY salty, I couldn't handle it I was getting very bad headaches, it made me sick :sick: not mention the amount of water I retained from the food, I found my looking very bloated. I'm not discouraging anyone, this is how my body reacted to the foods.

neonurse, you are so right in your advice. Wish I had learned it earlier but better late than never. I do not diet. Diets do not work cause you go off them and gain it all back. It is a way of life, forever. It does get easier though.

wezee, it is always wonderful to run into someone who has not seen us in awhile as it reminds us of how far we have gone. It is sometimes hard for us to realize that ourselves. I carry an old picture of myself and have kept an old pair of slacks for those days when I get down and discouraged to remind myself so that I can keep on track. I am formerly from the Athens area. Where might you live?

SG/Linda

I tried nutisystems, and found it to be VERY salty, I couldn't handle it I was getting very bad headaches, it made me sick :sick: not mention the amount of water I retained from the food, I found my looking very bloated. I'm not discouraging anyone, this is how my body reacted to the foods.

I didn't get headaches but I was miserable when I was on it. To sum it up it was TERRIBLE!!!! They claim it has some nutrional value but dried up vegetables and beef can not be 100% healthy for anyone. Most of the items had alot of carbs in it and the taste!!!....... i dont even want to go there!!!

Read this article on Customer dissatisfaction with nutrisystem.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/11/nutrisystem_problems.html

Nutrisystem is def not doing well I think the word is finally getting out that it is awful even the stock price of nutrisystem has recently fell dramatically as well.

Like SlightyGoofy said the key to everlasting weight loss is a lifestyle change!!!

neonurse....thanks for the tip, definantly going to check out that website. Congrats on the great job with your weight and hope your upcoming trip is a magical one.

Slightlygoofy.....we are in NW Ohio about 20 miles east of Toledo. Have a couple of friends in Athens, but have not had the chance to visit there...yet.

well I plan on doing Nutrisystem only for 1 month. I just need to get in the frame of mind for small portion meals. Hopefully this will help then I will be able to maintain on my own. I am going to the gym starting on Tuesday again.
I just need a boost in starting.

Thanks Wezee. You have lost alot to weight too. I can't wait till I hit 50. Thought I would be there already...but its taking its time coming off. Thats ok cause they all add up in the end, RIGHT?:cool1:

wezee, whatever you do, if you visit Athens, avoid Halloween. It gets rather bizarre and sometimes more than a tad bit rowdy and obscene then. :confused3

neonurse, I have found that the pounds that come off slowly seem to stay gone while the fast ones bounce right back.

Today my weight seems to be about 3 pounds down from what I weighed before I left on my 24 day trip. Not bad, not bad at all. Hope I can keep it off until weigh in. I have lost close to an additional 25# this year and am hoping to make my goal of 30#. It is so hard when you have a huge amount to lose as it takes so long. Keeping it off is harder though.

Slightly Goofy

neonurse, I have found that the pounds that come off slowly seem to stay gone while the fast ones bounce right back.

This is so true!!! Sometimes I get really frustrated when I only lose a 1/2 pound a week or so but always tell myself that slower is better. I've lost 35 lbs. now since April and hope to get off another 15 and I really don't care if it takes me a year to do it because I know I have a better chance of keeping it off.

I've gone from a size 18 to a 12 and people keep asking me how I've done it. I didn't use any special diet aids or foods -- I simply quit buying junk!!! I have a huge sweet tooth so it has been really had to pass up cookies, candy, and ice cream but I just don't even go down that aisle in the grocery store.

I will treat myself to a fat-free frozen yogurt from time to time and just yesterday bought a small pack of the new raspberry M&M's...but I actually split it up between my family (we each got six). It wasn't a lot, but it was enough for me to try the candy and not feel guilty about it.

We've also gone to eating mainly chicken and lots of fresh vegetables/fruits. Would I love to hit the drive-thru at Wendy's or Burger King? You betcha! But I don't because I know it won't be worth it.

I've also started walking every day. I go first thing in the morning and it was really hard at first, but I'm up to about 4 miles a day and I always feel so good when I'm finished (tired, but good!).

Sorry -- I didn't mean to ramble on, but I just wanted people to know that you don't need to rely on anyone or anything else to accomplish your weight loss goals...you can do it yourself (and it truly does get easier with each passing day). :goodvibes

This is so true!!! Sometimes I get really frustrated when I only lose a 1/2 pound a week or so but always tell myself that slower is better. I've lost 35 lbs. now since April and hope to get off another 15 and I really don't care if it takes me a year to do it because I know I have a better chance of keeping it off.

I've gone from a size 18 to a 12 and people keep asking me how I've done it. I didn't use any special diet aids or foods -- I simply quit buying junk!!! I have a huge sweet tooth so it has been really had to pass up cookies, candy, and ice cream but I just don't even go down that aisle in the grocery store.

I will treat myself to a fat-free frozen yogurt from time to time and just yesterday bought a small pack of the new raspberry M&M's...but I actually split it up between my family (we each got six). It wasn't a lot, but it was enough for me to try the candy and not feel guilty about it.

We've also gone to eating mainly chicken and lots of fresh vegetables/fruits. Would I love to hit the drive-thru at Wendy's or Burger King? You betcha! But I don't because I know it won't be worth it.

I've also started walking every day. I go first thing in the morning and it was really hard at first, but I'm up to about 4 miles a day and I always feel so good when I'm finished (tired, but good!).

Sorry -- I didn't mean to ramble on, but I just wanted people to know that you don't need to rely on anyone or anything else to accomplish your weight loss goals...you can do it yourself (and it truly does get easier with each passing day). :goodvibes

You are SOOOO RIGHT!!!! Its all about the little changes in our life that add up to pounds lost. I still will occassionally let the kids have their fast food but when I go I get a healthier choice like BLT (no mayo) at McD's, chicken burger at wendy's and a veggie burger at Harvey's. I usually steal 2 fries from the kids and savour every bite and that seems to be enough for me. Your right...its not worth it. I still can't believe that I have lost 42. It doesn't seem really. I feel better and look a bit different. I still feel fat some most days. It was funny I put on my jeans from the spring and actually sqealed (my son thought a spider scared me). My pant are way too big. I can fit both my arm down inside the waist all the way to my knees. Now it is fun to buy new clothes. My DH hates that I am shopping for clothes all the time...but I tell him I truely have nothing to wear. Hahahahaha:rotfl2: Anything that is too big I give away. I am not going back to my fat clothes!!!
I also find that rewarded myself with food and used to to cope with stress. If you find out what your eating patterns are and write down what you and when it makes it easier to isolate the problem. Its still hard but now when I catch myself I seem to be able to stop it sooner and get back on track.

Quote: "neonurse, I have found that the pounds that come off slowly seem to stay gone while the fast ones bounce right back."
Slightlygoofy: Thanks for the words of encouragement. Way to go!!! Down 3:cool1: after being on holiday!!! I hope that happens to me!!! You should be sooo proud of yourself. Any tricks that worked for you.:confused3

calypso*a*go-go, feel free to ramble. That is what we are here for and you never know when something you say or ask might help one of us others.

neonurse, with all the walking I have never gained weight while on vacation. Says a lot about my 'real' life. If only I lived in EPCOT year round. :thumbsup2 With the heat and the stress of coping with my dh's oddities I just do not get hungry on vacation. I am content with a bite or two of something really good and have learned to be very picky and not eat stuff just cause it is there. It has to be 'worth it'. Being pretty much housebound and overworked at home tends to make me want to eat more and more often I think.

I shop at garage sales and thrift stores and buy clothing that is too small. I have an entire closet upstairs with it all sorted by hanger color and when I lose a certain amount I go shopping there before filling in with brand, spanking new clothes. I could never afford to buy an entire new wardrobe for each size change.

calypso*a*go-go, I have some good news for you. The next time you HAVE to go to McD's order yourself an ice cream cone. I swear this is true, the healthiest thing they have there is the ice cream cone. It is only 140 calories and if you are like me it is satisfying and you do not need anything else at all. If I am hungry for protein I get the double cheeseburger without bun, they serve it on some lettuce with a tomato slice. I do low carb so it works for me.

There is a website called 'Dotties' that has an awesome amount of info for those who are doing WW or Low Carb with calorie counts for recipes and restaurants. I use it often. Hope this helps someone.

I am off for some aerobic exercise as the yard needs mowing. Joy!! :dance3:

Slightly Goofy

Slightlygoofy--Thanks for your words of wisdom!!! Sounds like you have made some positive lifestyle changes. :banana: Just think of calories you are burning cutting the lawn!!! Do you have an MP3 player. I love mine...best $40 I have ever spent. Makes me actually enjoy walking and I don't get bored.

All the clothes that I bought were at the end of the season...needed shorts and stuff for disney in Nov. and I got lucky they were already marked down and then an additional 50% off YAHOOO!!! ( I am a bargain shopper and cheap) This is the first bunch of clothes I bought since starting my weight loss in the spring. I feel I deserve to treat myself for doing a good job. I am not spending $14 a week on WW so that money can be spent on me.:lmao: Actually am usually the last person in the house to get anything new. I always hated buying clothes and the act of trying clothes on so now I am actually happy and having fun trying on new clothes. Something about having on a new outfit lifts your spirits. I am turning back into the confident, proud woman I used to be. I have been hiding in big baggy clothes hoping no one would notice me and now I am feeling more confident. I think rewarding yourself for a job well done isn't bad. They say you shouldn't reward your weight loss with food so every 10 lb I buy a little something for me. A purse, earring, something under $20. I think part of my problem before was putting myself last and I won't stay there anymore. I am just as important as my kids. I deserve to look good too. The better I feel about myself will have a postitive affect on my kids. My healthy eating has affected everyone including my DH he is down 18lb and didn't even know it until he went for a physical. I think as busy moms we sometimes get lost in the shuffle. Thats why my signature says " Finding myself again. I was lost but now I am found"!!!!!

last september '06, upon returning home from disney, i had gained an embarassing 12 lbs (yes - that's right: 12 lbs!! oink, snort, grunt)

now, we're leaving in less than 3 weeks and since then, i've lost those 12 lbs, and an additional 8 lbs, for a grand total of 20 lbs! (ta da!)

food & wine, here i come!!!! :banana:

last september '06, upon returning home from disney, i had gained an embarassing 12 lbs (yes - that's right: 12 lbs!! oink, snort, grunt)

now, we're leaving in less than 3 weeks and since then, i've lost those 12 lbs, and an additional 8 lbs, for a grand total of 20 lbs! (ta da!)

food & wine, here i come!!!! :banana:

Well done Suzi!!! What will you do differently this time so that it doesn't happen again? I need some words of wisdom because that is what I am afraid will happen to me when I go. It has taken me 6 months to lose this and I don't want it to find me again.:goodvibes

neonurse, I hear you on not having respect for yourself and putting everyone else first. I done done that and did it extremely well, so much so that the only person I can depend upon is myself. This is a thoughtful assessment and not something I have arrived at easily. If I falter it is the nursing home for me and that I know well. In the meantime I am responsible for taking care of a husband and grandkids. I must lose the weight and keep going, it is my only hope. I have carefully looked at the evidence and do not think myself delusional, just correct. It is difficult fitting any life for myself in among my duties though. If it were not for my warped sense of humor I might have taken a long walk off a short pier decades ago but since I cannot swim I have not. lol I am glad that you are not as slow a learner as I. :hippie:

suzimar57, that whole 12 pounds is not likely to have been just the food you ate. The 8 I gained at the first part of this trip had to have been water weight to have come on so quickly and come back off nearly as fast. I ate what I wanted but was mighty picky about what I did want. Much of my food was reasonably healthy with a few exceptions. Mickey Bars count as calcium right?? :confused3 Maybe something as simple as drinking water with your meals will flush your system.

It is not fair that the weight adds up so fast and subtracts so much slower but then who said that life is fair??

Grass mowed, bushes trimmed. I am shutting down for the day now. Miles to go before I sleep though. Another day tomorrow. I'll think about it then. :)

Slightly Goofy/Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter