Anyone else using upcoming Disney trip as motivation to lose weight?

Quote:"It is not fair that the weight adds up so fast and subtracts so much slower but then who said that life is fair??"

So true slightlygoofy!!!

I am heading to WDW in May and I hope to lose 40lbs by then. I have lost 35lbs since February using sparkpeople.com. It is a wonderful website, with great tips and a nutrition tracker which I really credit for my weight loss. I have found that being aware of the fat and calorie content of the things that I eat helps me to make better choices. Sparkpeople also gives a daily calorie, fat, protein, etc range based on my current weight, foal weight and target date. There is also a huge supportive community and many tools and articles. I highly recommend it!

I started Nutrisystem on Wednesday and I am down 9 lbs this morning. I am sure it water but it encourages me to go on.

I look at my photos from last summer's trip and cringe! The dining plan is so worth it but my lord did I pack on the lbs!

I followed weight watchers to the letter this year and lost 22 pounds. We're doing the dining plan again so I'm thinking maybe I should try for another five before July just to have a comfortable buffer!

A couple of tips that have helped me...drink water, lots of water! I'm a late night snacker so I've tried to cut that out and it has helped too. Now I paint my nails while watching tv in the evenings and that keeps me from sticking my hand in the cookie jar.

Good luck to everyone, we can do it because we're worth it (and so are our vacations!)!

We were GARGANTUAN in our May 07 photopass shots.
We went to the Dr and got a modified WW plan (no meetings - no fees). We changed our lifestyle without punishing ourselves AND we both are losing weight.
After 25 years, my husband is the man I made him.....242 lbs and me at 181. SO we began eating low/lower fat, stopped snacking, started keeping cases of water in the car to drink instead of the drive-thru.
DON"T give up - women have to battle twice as hard!
The Doctors were astounded that all our lab values ended up where they wanted them.
The bad food just doesn't taste right...and we where able to eat pretty well and make good choices for our 9/07 trip.
So far I am 169 and he is at 222....with 155 and 200 as our goals.
Good Vibes to all the night snackers-Special K and Kashi Go lean is great with skim milk (and we like the sugar free-fat free Jello pudding as a reward for the week!):goodvibes

well i started Nutrisystem 2 weeks ago. first week I lost 13 lbs this week only 2. but I did cheat with dinners out.
next week back on it strictly.

We had our semi annual Area TOPS meeting last night and I are proud to announce that, yours truly, won the award for losing the most weight in her chapter. I think that if I had not been at Disney World for nearly a month with all that wonderful Free Food I might have taken the top honors for the area as she only lost four pounds more than I. I wish I could tell you that I lost massive amounts of weight but it was 'only' 22.50#'s from January until July.

I like TOPS because you can do any diet you want, I do a combination low carb but count WW points too. It is only $24 a year and a minimal fee ($1.25 max for us) a month. If you can get a group of at least 6 together you can start your own club if you live in a rural area. I found my club by doing a web search and it gave me the location of nearby clubs.

Whatever works for you! I am cheap and this works for me. :wizard:

I am trying hard to be glad for who ONLY lost 2 pounds while eating out. Honestly, I am. Men!!!! :rotfl:

Slightly Goofy

I am also using our upcoming trip in April 08 as a motivator for losing some weight. After a miscarriage, a pregnancy, an ectopic pregnancy (which resulted in emergency surgery), followed by another surgery to remove ovarian cysts and finally a hysterectomy all within a period of four years ....this poor tummy of mine has seen better days. I am trying to eat more fruit and vegetables and cut down on the pasta, potatoes and other starches. My worst habit is not the sweets, it's the potato chips!! I am also elminating soda from my diet and drinking more water. This along with a moderate exercise program should hopefully help me to lose the 20-25 pounds that I need to.

Goodluck pskork, I too am addicted to potato chips and it's a hard habit to breakpopcorn:: If I really need a chip fix, I opt for Fat free Pringles. But I still need to have at least one soda pop a day, even though I drink diet. But you sound like you've got a great plan and I'm sure you will be successful.:thumbsup2

Good grief, after all that surgery, I'd be saving my money to get a tummy tuck! You already have the scars, might as well have a good memory attached to the scars.

Your changes sound good. I know you can lose that weight! (And then get the tuck, lol!)

pskorf, I have been there and done all that many years ago. Potato Chips are a weakness of mine so I just keep FF Pringles around now as they do not taste a thing like real chips so I can eat a couple or leave them alone altogether. If I do not have it in the house I cannot eat it.

I have continued to lose these past few weeks and am even further down into 'new' pounds than before. I am close to being at my goal for the end of the year and hope to lose a couple of extra pounds to help on our upcoming December trip. I am still fat though. Just not quite as morbidly so. :thumbsup2

Hang in there folks. It took me decades to get smart enough to do something about this and you all are younger and decades smarter so you are on your way. You do not have to be 'good' 100% of the time but 95% is a good goal to work toward. It is not falling off the wagon that means failure but not getting back on.

SG/Linda

I'm still hanging in there with my weight loss goals for my April-May 2008 trip. I'm working with my doc and I have upped my fruits and gotten rid of the white food. (lol all my faves) It seems to be working. I have arthritis in my hips and balls of my feet. Alot of the white foods (white breads, rice, potatoes) are very inflamitory. Now that I have cut them out or at least way down I can do more exercise and I have been 4 days with no advil in my tummy! I'm down 4 pounds in the last month so my goal of a pound a week or 4 a month is in sight. I would like to cut down on the amount of coffee and soda I drink so that is a goal for November. I have upped my water intake and now I will cut the soda... in two weeks I plan to being down to 1 cup of coffee a day.

This morning my family and I walked the hilly perimeter of our 38 acres. I made it the entire way and didn't have to stop for fear of heart attack! I plan to be up to 5 miles a day before our Disney trip.

HMMM I'm looking at 30 pounds gone by the time I leave at this rate.... :banana:

Onward and Doward for all of us!

I love potato chips too!!! I really don't crave sweets too much anymore but those salty snacks are always calling my name. I only buy the single portion sized bags of baked chips (thank goodness Frito Lay now has them available this way!). They mainly go in the kids' lunches...but every now and then I'll eat one and know that I have to have a controlled portion.

And of course, I'm always looking for a good bargain and it seems like lately they've had some great deals on the full sized bags of chips...it's really hard for me to walk away (and don't even get me started on what a temptation the clearanced Halloween candy has been!!!). But I just have to remind myself that I'm still saving money and calories by just buying less of the regular priced low-fat snacks than over-stocking on cheap stuff we really don't need.

So hang in there everyone and keep up the good work!!! :thumbsup2

Someone mentioned TOPS for diet support. Has everyone heard about sparkpeople.com. Its free and an amazing online support and educational system. Check it out. I just hit 46 lb:cool1: and couldn't have done it without SP. It is a constant uphill battle. I have been working on it for 7 1/2 months ago with a disney trip as my motivation. I visualize me in a red mickey t-shirt tucked in. Lame I know but it has worked. We even have a disboard team "disboard disney-aholics". If anyone needs more info feel free to PM me.:thumbsup2

Good grief, after all that surgery, I'd be saving my money to get a tummy tuck! You already have the scars, might as well have a good memory attached to the scars.

Your changes sound good. I know you can lose that weight! (And then get the tuck, lol!)

I have thought that I would love to have my skin taken away but after recovering from a hysterectomy a year ago....I think not. I have heard that a tummy tuck is a very difficult surgery to recover from. The hyst was enough for me. I'm not giving them another chance at me. I will take my flab. Spanx is wonderful smooth out all the lumps and bumps.:rotfl2:

neonurse, I know the program you are talking about and know folks who have used it but I need the accountability of getting on scales in front of other people. I have been in TOPS for over two years. It is much like WW only much,much cheaper. I know folks who do not like it because many of its members are older but anyone can set up their own chapter if they can get at least six members and make it whatever they want. It is non profit.

I am with you on the tummy tuck. In my case it would be much more than a tuck though. I had a sister who had it and a thigh job done a year or so ago and she nearly died of infection so I am scared. If I should have to have another abdominal operation (hopefully not) I might let them trim it off while doing whatever else though. The thigh thing seems to be the most prone to infection. I have not worked this hard to die of vanity.

SG/Linda

Slightly goofy- Its great that you found something that works for you. I never knew about sparkpeople and like to let others know that it is out there. If it hadn't been shown to me by a coworker I still would be in the dark. Weight watchers didn't work for me. I think because I work shift work and found it difficult to get to meeting with a regular group to feel part of a team. I think thats what I like about sp, they are there whenever I need them (online). But I know what you mean about being accountable. I joined the dis team and we have a weigh in once a week.

I agree about post op infections. I had a bladder infection that went to my kidneys...for a month. OUCH!!! I was sooo sick. 3 courses of antibiotics. I never want to have another operation. I am with you!!!

Good luck to you and your goals.:thumbsup2
I am hoping my eating stays in control when on vacation!!! My goal is not to gain...not setting goals to high!!!:woohoo:

I think that maintaining on vacation is the perfect goal. If we set the goals too high we are setting ourselves up for failure. I am struggling with these last few pounds before the end of the year but have figured out that I have a 4 week period between my last weigh in of the year and the first of next year. Wiggle room, that is what I need!!

SG

Anyone have any advice for me? For the past year, I have been 150 pounds (before the year, the highest I was ever at was 130, with 116 being the low point, I am 5'2"). It seems like I can eat at McDonalds for 7 days a week (slight exageration, but hopefully you get the point), and never go over 150 (no, my scales not broken I checked). I can also eat healthy, do cardio and yoga 5 out of 7 days of the week, and not lose a pound (this had been done steadily at one point for over a month before I gave up). Anybody have any suggestions? I am at about the end of my rope and I too would like to look good in my Dec. Disney pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter