Are there any other crazy people like us who rent a car for their stay?

We didn't rent a car *one* time. Been renting ever since. ;)

We always rent. We never know what we will be doing when we are at WDW. Sometimes we do little at the parks. And we usually eat more meals outside WDW than we do at parks/resorts. Besides, I might need to do the outlet circuit to save money to pay for the car rental! :rotfl:

This was a great time for me to read a thread like this. We have always rented a car at WDW but for our October trip this year, we were thinking about using ME. Thought it would be a good time to try it out since it was just my DH and me. But I just didn't feel good about not having a car to go wherever we want whenever we want. We are also staying at POP our first night and then transferring to our BCV on Sunday so it would be easier having the car. This thread makes me feel better about skipping ME and renting a car! Thanks!

Donna

For our first couple of trips together, DH did not rent a car. However, for our last two trips, plus this one coming up, we did. DH likes the flexibility of going to other places to eat or for the day, if we feel like it. I have to admit we do not usually use the car too much. It is nice when you want to get from your resort to another for a meal, though.
Have Fun!! :flower:

We usually rent a car too. I don't trust ME, plus we need to grocery shop. Renting a car is only usually about $20 more than a towncar once you figure on tip and everything. It's nice to have since we like to eat at other resorts and Jungle Jims at Crossroads. Maybe once the kids are older we'll stop renting a car but for now it works for us. :)

My DH is a steelworker with a CDL and drives all day from one plant to another (thank goodness he's not over the road). To quote him "...after dealing with idiots all day, I'm glad to let someone else drive me around."

Myself, I hate the thought of being 'stranded' without a car, but wouldn't dream of driving to the parks - amazed at their effeciency. We do like to go off site for other attractions and as stated in other posts, don't want to spend hours waiting @ the airport.

I keep teasing my DH about the perfect retirement job for him: WDW bus driver.

It depends. Sometimes we rent a car if we know we are going to off site shopping or dining. We haven't rented one for our upcoming trip and we'll see how it goes.

We always rent a car. This time there are 7 of us and we need to rent a minivan. We use the car for groceries, DTD and when we go to dinner. We always go to the AKL for dinner, California Grill and Emerils. It is just so convenient.

We always rent a car when we stay. Love the freedom to leave the World if we choose. We have done quick trips to outside dining, to outlets and shopping. Love to be able to go food shopping at any time, on the way in or while we are there. We had one uncofortable experience with WD transportation the first time we didn't rent a car. We had PS at Ohanna's and was staying at BC. Getting there was no problem, but returning in the late evening with three kids, we had to travel to DTD, than switch and wait for a bus to BC. It took 1 1/2 hrs that night and had very sleepy children and only one stroller. That sealed the rental car for future trips as we enjoy dining at many different resorts during our stay. :earsboy: :cool1:

I always like to rent a car when we go. I know you don't have to, the Disney transportation is great (mostly!), and you can get groceries delivered.

It usually just sits in the parking lot for most of the trip. So its not the most economical way to go, (but then neither is DVC!) but I like the piece of mind that I know if I want to go to Universal or anywhere else in the Orlando area, I can just jump in and go.

We always rent a car even if it's just two of us. Love the freedom of being about to go to the outlets, grocery shopping, etc. Although DH and I both commute to work, we don't mind driving at Disney because we are so relaxed and never in a hurry to go anywhere. We like to come and go on our own schedule and although the buses are great, we just the freedom of having the car, especially since OKW it's parked right outside.

We are renting a car fro our Dec trip. Got a intermediate from Thrifty for $13.99 per day, about $76 total w/taxes for 4 days.

Personally, I like having the flexibility of a car. Especially on the last day, when you can drive to a park and leave directly to MCO form there w/o having to go back to your resort. Can get at least 2 hours of extra park time that way. :dog2:

Then again....for our Jan trip, we may decide to use ME to save some $. We're planning to run the 1/2 Marathon, so we'll more than likely keep close to the BW on our last day.

When the kids were small and there was only MK & Epcot, there was really no need. That monorail was the best! But now we like to resort hop and hate the bus lines. We tried it for the first time 4 trips ago & will NEVER go without one again! (Yes, I said NEVER!)

We even convinced the now married kids that, for our big trip together in September 2006, the 8 passenger van will be a big luxury!

Just rented a CONVERTABLE for $239 (Alamo) for spring break week 2006. We do go to Clearwater Beach for the weekend though so a car is necessary. :sunny: :cool1: :sunny: :cool1:

We always rent a car too. We've got a convertible reserved for next Wednesday, in fact. It's not that expensive, at least compared to what you pay for everything else at WDW. We like to resort hop, and Disney transportation isn't so hot for that.

But here's one downside no one has mentioned: I've found that the people manning the rental counters are some of the worst you'll encounter on your trip. They're generally bored or rude or clueless or all of the above. And since it's the first thing we do after we get to MCO, it can get the trip off to a crummy start.

On the brighter side, the people that work the rental returns are just the opposite. They all seem to be efficient, nice and have a personality. And they're the last people we work with in Orlando, so we generally leave happy.

JandD Mom said:
Hi everyone! This is another in my series of "am I crazy" threads. In my last thread about cleaning I was suprised to find there are other crazy people who clean their villa like me. So I am hoping some others will be like me on this and help me avoid therapy. :crazy2:

DH insists we rent a car during our stay. I have tried to talk him into ME, but he is against it for a few reasons. Mainly, he does not want to wait around on a bus while it makes 3-4 stops, and he does not want to wait hours for our luggage to show up, if indeed it does show up. He also insists he likes the convenience of being able to drive hotel to hotel, and to the parks if we want.

However, the last time we rented a car at Disney, I don't think we even put 100 miles on it. :confused3

We started this practice a few years ago after discovering that renting a car for a shorter stay is less money and more convenient than a towncar.

Any other opinions?

Every time....Initially it was because I did not want son un-restrained in the car seat. Now, I enjoy going out to eat at restaunts that do not require a second mortgage!!

I will never not have a car again!!!

Kim

We must be crazy too. :)
We didn't get a rental car the 1st time we went to Disney, which was for our Honeymoon. The standing joke between us now whenever we have to ride in the car of a friend or family member is: "next stop, Downtown Disney!".
Every freaking bus we got on seemed to have to stop at DD. It made us nuts. Plus, DH is a wicked control freak when it comes to driving and can't stand having to be at someone else's mercy.
Now we have a 4 yo DS, so our own transporation is IMPERATIVE when dealing with a cranky, tired whinebucket at the end of a day.

My DW and I always rent a car as well because we like to go to other resorts for dinner. Disney transportation is not very efficient for doing this. It takes too long! :( We also like to be able to shop for groceries at WalMart or Publix.

That being said, my DW prefers to take the bus/boat whenever possible to the theme parks and so do I now. We may not always get our money's worth from the rental, but we have never regretted having it either. :)

I just wish that National had a frequent renters program. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter