Are there any other crazy people like us who rent a car for their stay?

Oh, yes. We have rented a car (usually named Kathy...long story) every year for the last 4 years. We just like having the convenience of being able to go whenever and wherever we want. We have friend who live not too far from Celebration so we usually drive there for some ice cream.

we always rent as well. the less time spent on buses with ds3 and dd1 the better!

plus i always go out for groceries, sometimes twice if we have a large group. superwalmart is my new best friend LOL.

i always rent a car, i go to one of the places online to name your own price and get a great rate. i tried the bus a couple of times just to try it out it sucks, plus i go to universal, seaworld, busch gardens, so having a car is useful.
just remember not having to take disney buses=priceless

We always rent, be it Disney or Las Vegas. It's a combination of control and convenience issues. We really like having no limitations on where we eat or what we do, and - sadly - we've enjoyed the WDW buses less and less the past few years.

Being DVC owners only enhances the value of a car - shopping, dining and the 3-hour drive from SSR (our home resort) to the rest of WDW! :rotfl2:

Most of our party did the ME to the resort while DH got the car. I really wanted GMA and GPA to have the Disney experience (little movie on the bus), but the driver never played it. We did get to the resort in less than 20 minutes. We think the driver only took out 2 or 3 cars to do it. However car was awesome to get to other resorts for dinners. We did experience one Sat that we couldn't get in anywhere in less than an hour and a half, so the car was great for going off property and groceries.

We've rented a car on our past three trips, and I personally don't want to go back to using Disney transportation again. I got frustrated waiting around for the bus. Now that we rent a car, we make a quick stop at one of the parks before heading off to the airport to go home. It's also allowed us to easily try out different restaurants at the various hotels. And last December it was quick and easy to go hotel-hopping to see the holiday decorations.

Not to mention that it now takes minutes to get from point A to point B instead of an hour (or more).

Some people think that using Disney transportation is part of the whole vacation experience, and if it works for them that's great. I like the freedom of being able to explore new places on the spur of the moment.

Everyone is different.

We always get a car. As others have said, it's much easier for groceries and going from resort to resort. Also, it's there for times when, oh, say your husband loses his cell phone somewhere in MK and MUST have it replaced immediately so he has to drive into Orlando while you hang around the condo waiting for him(not that I'm bitter). ;) I start looking at rates when I book the villa and check periodically through the year to see if I can do better. For us, it adds to the relaxation to know we can go when we choose, where we choose, without delays.

We clean our villa upon arrival we give it a vaccuum and a good wash down just for our piece of mind we also tear down teh beds and wash the bedding ourselves and sweep the floor. We also take out our garbage every day but we do not rent a car mind you we also drive down every trip so no need to rent one but we only ever use it when we go off property to go shopping. We use Disney transportation to get every other place on property.

We always rent a car. It is just too convenient not to have to mess with the buses.

We have gotten into habit of renting a car

Between the town car return costs plus figuring out how to get groceries (we go to Chamberlain's to buy Natural & Organic - they do not delivery), we are probably not spending too much extra

We also take the car to TL, BB, AK and sometimes DS/MGM and Epcot - for the MK we take Disney Transport

cheers
jaysue

We always rent a minivan.

love going to the grocery store whenever we want.

love eating at Olive Garden.

Hit a park after checking out & then leave for the airport.

baby falls asleep very comfy in her carseat in our quiet minivan.

teenagers fall asleep very comfy in their seats.

Mom & Dad have quiet minivan. :)

When we talk of cutting expenses. We tend to talk about driving instead of flying rather than not renting a car.

We rent as well I am a Hertz Gold card member and I love having a car. I also use it to go to the stores and also when i go to worship while I am there.

Another cleaning, and car rental family here!! clorox wipes & glass pluss wipes, never leave home without them. :flower:
Also, we ALWAYS rent a car, for every trip, but I must say, I love to ride the monorail on every trip also!! :goodvibes

My DH won't even consider Disney transportation while I on the other hand would like to try it out. It's all about the minivan. :rolleyes:

We rent a car all the time. I wanted to try the busses this last trip but dw was against it. I like to be able to come and go when ever I want, especially now with dd who is 2.

For those of you who always rent, what do you suggest to a "first timer?" On another thread someone adviced that Disney is quite large and easy to get lost in. They suggested that "first timers" use Disney transportation. As a "first timer" we do not plan on leaving WDW. We will spend most of our time at the parks, pool, or DTD. We have a DS 5 and a DS 2. We are staying at OKW. I love the thought of coming and going from the parks on our schedule, but it sounds like many who rent a car do not use it to come and go from the parks.

Any suggestions? Much thanks! ::MinnieMo

More crazies here. We always rent a car. Mostly for the reasons your DH gave too. But at the end of the vacation I always wonder why we rented it when it sat in it's parking spot most of the time.

With a 2year old I would definitely recommend a vehicle especially with OKW. We are going in jan with a 2 and 7 yo, and a vehicle I feel is a necessity because of the little one especially. It is worth the $200 to have access to our hotel room at a moment's notice. We always rent the car but have used disney transport and there is usually some kind of wait. So, if you have the funds, I would recommend the vehicle for now... when the kids are older, then you can do without it. Also, if you need to stock up on breakfast supplies, it's easy to drive to any grocery store to do so. My recommendation is L&M Car Rental because the married spouse can drive for free (normally that is $50 for the week). Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter