Are there any other crazy people like us who rent a car for their stay?

I always rent a car. I can't stand busses and love the freedom of the car. We usually go offsite to buy groceries, go to the outlets, some dinners. I book through National and in May only paid $97 for the week for an Impala (priceless contract code & $20 entertainment coupon). When we stay at OKW, we drive almost everywhere. At BWV, we do take the boats to MGM & Epcot (or walk), drive elsewhere.

We usually rent a car also. DH plays golf and likes to have a car to get to the courses. We sometimes go off site for dinner (we love Tony Roma's) and make at least one grocery stop, sometimes two. We sometimes take it to DTD to shop (too many bags to carry on the bus :rotfl: :rotfl: ). We don't put many miles on it but it is just more convenient for us. If you shop around you can sometimes get a good deal. Last trip, we did have to wait a good while in the airport for a car, think it was National, not sure though.

We always have a rental car. We have a "limo" (towncar) take us from MCO to the car care center, where I've rented on line prior to our visit. We use our car for store stops, tourning, sometimes AK visits and sometimes resort dinners. We'll never do any different! :)

We used to only rent a van when we were staying at OKW, but didn't when we were at BWV. Then came the 10 day stay where we "explored" Orlando and found the outlets. Now we always rent a car. Don't drive it much when we're at BWV, but we will ALWAYS drive to AK. After waiting 40 minutes for a bus, never again.

Add us to the crazy list. We always rent a car. We never use it to go to the parks but we do eat in different resorts and hate having to go to DTD to get the right bus it can take forever. We just like the convenience of being able go for groceries or the occasional walmart or target stop

Copperline said:
Now we have a 4 yo DS, so our own transporation is IMPERATIVE when dealing with a cranky, tired whinebucket at the end of a day.

I really did laugh out loud sitting here in my office at the phrase:

"cranky, tired whinebucket"!

whinebucket...that's good! I think I'll start using that phrase myself! :rotfl:

Back to the topic ;)

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Now that we have DVC and after experiencing our first trip with a kitchen, I really missed not having that freedom to run to the grocery store. I'm looking at rental cars for our family trip over Christmas. I just remember that prices were out of control for last Christmas, so we decided to forgo it.

we always rent a car too. The freedom of knowing you can go when and where you want is huge. Besides, we had to take DS to FL Hospital on our first trip... imagine that trip in a cab :scared1:
Not to mention the fact that whenever we are at WDW I just HAVE to go to Steak and Shake at least once ;)

We always rent one..... most reasons have been said, we just need a car in the parking lot, just in case.... too many health issues.. over too many years.

We do it every time. It's the easiest, fastest, and often cheapest way to get around. And you can come and go as you please.

We also rent a car. We like to use it for groceries at Walmart, offsite days out, Chinese buffet restaurants and Pizza's. Also like to do a little clothes shopping too. We do use it for the parks too.

We always rent a car and for our next trip were considering just doing the Magical Express.

But after much thought, how could we get groceries, shopping at the outlets, restaurant options other than Disney and the car won out again!

We usually drive. When we flew once we didn't rent a car. In the future I would estimate the cost of renting a car vs using taxis. The only problem I could forsee is that my wife likes to get off property at times. The infidel.

In 2000, used Disney transportation. In 2003 rented a car and loved having it. It offered us so much flexibility in being able to get from resort to park and anywhere else. Also, we could come and go on our schedule, not the bus schedule. And even better, none of us had to stand after a long day! So, if you're nuts, then I guess you can call me an almond! :rolleyes1

We don't rent cars. I think Disney transportation is great! We have a limo service pick us up at the airport. Something about that driver holding the sign with our name on it just starts our vacation off great! The driver will stop at the grocery store too. I've never felt that we needed a car while at Disney. We thought about using ME, but DH likes the limo. :)

JandD Mom said:
Hi everyone! This is another in my series of "am I crazy" threads. In my last thread about cleaning I was suprised to find there are other crazy people who clean their villa like me. So I am hoping some others will be like me on this and help me avoid therapy. :crazy2:.... :confused3

We started this practice a few years ago after discovering that renting a car for a shorter stay is less money and more convenient than a towncar.

Any other opinions?

We started with Mears, moved to a towncar and now rent a car. The rental car gives us greater flexibility and the ability to go off property. It is particularly helpful with a wheelchair -- the one area that Disney transportation is not quite up to its usual first class standards (but that is another story for another time).

By the way -- we also tidy up the villa each day and before we leave.

We always rent a car.
I spend enough time waiting in line and waiting for buses or boats at WDW, if I can alleviate that a little on vacation in other areas, the money spent on the car is worth it to me.
We drive back and forth from the airport of course..we also go grocery shopping once, hit the new outlets once, drive every time we go to Downtown Disney which is a few times per trip, drive to miniature golf, drive to the waterparks, and often to Animal Kingdom. We also drive if we have a meal ressie at one of the other hotels.

We always rent a car. I get migraines and one time I had one so bad, and we had to wait for 40 minutes at the MK for a bus. :confused3 I didn't even think about taking a cab because I couldn't think straight.

So now we always rent and drive ourselves, it's just faster IMHO.

We have used different forms of transportation from the airport, rental car, Mears, and one time even the Lynx bus (which was fine, but took about an hour and a half from airport to WDW -- but can you beat $1.50?) I always want a car -- for Sweet Tomatoes, the Prime 1 (old Belz) outlets, my trip to Publix, and just to zip to resort restaurants, or between parks when I'm trying to catch both Fantasmic and Illuminations. At first (88) DH was a huge fan of WDW transportation, but these days we'll use the monorail once or twice and maybe a bus to MK. When it's convenient, I have used Priceline, and won a compact rental car for $12 a day!

We just came back on Sunday and have to say that it was a nice feeling walking up to the rental counter instead of the ME counter. The ME counter line was HUGE! I couldn't believe it and it wasn't necessarily moving fast either. To be honest, I don't know the experience after that point. The other reason we rent a car is because after our DVC stay of about five or six nights we usually head out to one of the Universal hotels for two nights and thats when the benefit starts kicking in. :flower:

This is I think our 6th trip, and our first as DVC members in Jan 2006, and everytime we have a rental car. I think mostly because of the little ones it makes the most sense to not be stuck waiting for a bus with a cranky toddler. Plus, DH is quite impatient, and once you've been to the parks, it is really nice to have freedom with the car to explore the rest of the world.

One Point... try L&M car rentals.... their rates beat the other companies, and as a bonus, a second driver (if it is a married spouse) is FREE!!!! Other companies charge $7 per day for that. My DH really appreciates that one, because I can take the kids and he can stay in the room or whatever. He really felt like a chauffeur the first 3 trips when only he was allowed to drive the car. And their line up at the airport was nonexistant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter