Are we crazy to consider Egypt June 24 2021?

Just a word of warning to those travelling to countries that have been named Level 4 Do Not Travel. Check your travel insurance, as usually travel and medical insurance is void if you travel to a country a Government has an official Do Not Travel advisory. Even before Covid I would never travel internationally without travel and medical insurance, now, with Covid, it really would not be a good idea.

Last edited:
Just a word of warning to those travelling to countries that have been named Level 4 Do Not Travel. Check your travel insurance, as usually travel and medical insurance is void if you travel to a country a Government has an official Do Not Travel advisory. Even before Covid I would never travel internationally without travel and medical insurance, now, with Covid, it really would not be a good idea.

With 150 countries at level 4, it's hard to travel to a country that is not! It's absolutely asinine!

As far as insurance, just need to find a company that covers you.

"The good news is I spoke to Allianz Travel Insurance this morning (I’m a former brand ambassador) since I was worried that travel insurance to these Level 4 countries wouldn’t be provided. They confirmed the following to me: “Our travel insurance products exclude coverage for government advisories, so you wouldn’t be covered if you wanted to cancel your trip because you saw a government advisory for your destination.” However, you are still insured for your trip even if there is an advisory for your destination." (https://www.johnnyjet.com/do-not-tr...tment-just-added-a-lot-of-familiar-countries/)

Edited to add: And actually the only requirement Costa Rica has is that you must have insurance to cover your costs in case you get COVID while there. Trawick is the company most people choose. So you just have to shop around!

I am flying Emirates who automatically provides multi risk travel insurance (including COVID coverage) on all their flights (500k medical - including emergency evacuation). I wonder if other airlines etc are offering similar?

Obviously I will be closely monitoring the situation, but I’m planning to go to Dubai and the Maldives in late November.The Emirates are way ahead of us in vaccination and I’m vaccinated myself.

Egypt is a bucket list place for me - looking forward to hearing everyone’s experiences

I am flying Emirates who automatically provides multi risk travel insurance (including COVID coverage) on all their flights (500k medical - including emergency evacuation). I wonder if other airlines etc are offering similar?

Obviously I will be closely monitoring the situation, but I’m planning to go to Dubai and the Maldives in late November.The Emirates are way ahead of us in vaccination and I’m vaccinated myself.

Egypt is a bucket list place for me - looking forward to hearing everyone’s experiences

I think you need to read the Emirates Travel Insurance Terms And Conditions

Exclusions
Page 8, Point Number 13
We will not cover the following:
Any Claim arising in connection with or during Your Trip to a specific country or area for which an official government agency has mandated a border closure or issued a travel prohibition or ban.

United Arab Emirates and Maldives are listed on the American CDC website as Travelers should avoid all travel to these destinations. This means travel to these countries voids your Emirates travel insurance.

I think you need to read the Emirates Travel Insurance Terms And Conditions

Exclusions
Page 8, Point Number 13
We will not cover the following:
Any Claim arising in connection with or during Your Trip to a specific country or area for which an official government agency has mandated a border closure or issued a travel prohibition or ban.
I’m not worried at all. That would effectively moot their entire well-publicized program. I will also do the necessary planning closer to November, frankly it’s too early.

i know it must be hard for people who want to travel, but can’t for whatever reason. But the pandemic is ending (becoming endemic) (look at Israel!) and I’m feeling confident.

I traveled to WDW last month and it was amazing, I am going to Hawaii with my extended family this summer and planning on doing an international trip in November

So there's the question, does a level 4 CDC advisory equal a "prohibition or ban?" It doesn't seem to be a "border closure."

Its an official Government travel advisory, therefore it voids travel insurance. Whatever about domestic travel , I certainly would not travel internationally without insurance for tourist reasons when the country is listed as do not travel.

My family is in the same situation. My Government has a travel advisory against all international travel. I live in Ireland, my sister lives in England and my mom last saw my sister in February 2020. We will not travel internationally, even just to visit family without travel and medical insurance.

People really need to read the terms and conditions of their travel insurance and read the exclusions list.

I was actually going to mention this point. I wondered if insurance would cover any medical expenses in this situation.

I got quite sick years ago in Morocco, long time before COVID and I was taken care of by family members, so I didn't have to get to a hospital. Not all travelers are lucky and during the pandemic with resources stretched thin in some areas of the world, I can't imagine what it would be like to get sick now.

I was actually going to mention this point. I wondered if insurance would cover any medical expenses in this situation.

I got quite sick years ago in Morocco, long time before COVID and I was taken care of by family members, so I didn't have to get to a hospital. Not all travelers are lucky and during the pandemic with resources stretched thin in some areas of the world, I can't imagine what it would be like to get sick now.

Exactly, international travel without medical insurance was not a good idea before Covid, but now, with Covid, its just unthinkable. Is a 10 day holiday really worth basically risking your life for??? I get it, I haven't left my neighbourhood since December 2020, but people really, going on holiday to a country your Government has listed as do not travel is just so wrong, on many levels.

My country is the size of the state of Indiana, and compared to America we have nothing. Please just travel domestically, your country America has so much to offer, so many amazing places to visit, such different variations in weather from beach holidays to ski resorts and your national parks are just breath taking.

Exactly, international travel without medical insurance was not a good idea before Covid, but now, with Covid, its just unthinkable. Is a 10 day holiday really worth basically risking your life for??? I get it, I haven't left my neighbourhood since December 2020, but people really, going on holiday to a country your Government has listed as do not travel is just so wrong, on many levels.

My country is the size of the state of Indiana, and compared to America we have nothing. Please just travel domestically, your country America has so much to offer, so many amazing places to visit, such different variations in weather from beach holidays to ski resorts and your national parks are just breath taking.

I think we have vastly different risk tolerances if you have not left your neighborhood in a year and a half.

I think we have vastly different risk tolerances if you have not left your neighborhood in a year and a half.

I havent left my neighbour hood since December 2020 because there was a 5km travel limit. There were police checkpoints and people were fined for going outside the 5km limit for non essential reasons including exercise. The limit was only removed on April 12, but almost everything is still closed so there is no reason for me to go further just yet. Non essential retail is opening on May 17 but restaurants, bars etc wont open for outdoor dining until June.

Also I am not vaccinated and I dont expect to get my first dose until the end of June.

Last edited:
I havent left my neighbour hood since December 2020 because there was a 5km travel limit. There were police checkpoints and people were fined for going outside the 5km limit for non essential reasons including exercise. The limit was only removed on April 12, but almost everything is still closed so there is no reason for me to go further just yet. Non essential retail is opening on May 17 but restaurants, bars etc wont open for outdoor dining until June.
And I thought our California lockdowns were strict….I wouldn’t be able to get to the market with a 5km travel limit. And my hour of exercise walking each day was the only mask-free time outside. Thanks for posting - we are not always aware of the different types of restrictions in other places. Hopefully things will start opening up a bit more for you.

Um, by my calculations, that's 5 months, not a year and a half!

Now *I*, on the other hand, have *not* been anywhere outside my Metropolitan area since mid-March of 2020. So that's over a year. I just got fully vaccinated a couple of weeks ago, and haven't quite gotten past being a hermit for a year. But I've booked domestic travel for October. That took a *LOT* for me to do that!

Sayhello

Um, by my calculations, that's 5 months, not a year and a half!

Now *I*, on the other hand, have *not* been anywhere outside my Metropolitan area since mid-March of 2020. So that's over a year. I just got fully vaccinated a couple of weeks ago, and haven't quite gotten past being a hermit for a year. But I've booked domestic travel for October. That took a *LOT* for me to do that!

Sayhello
You are right — my bad - 5 months - I inserted 2019 in my head! Were things more open in Ireland prior to December, I wonder?

Everyone should get back into travel at their own pace!! I didn’t do any airline travel till I was vaccinated- even though I am at relatively low risk. But it’s feeling right for me. Feeling some degree of normalcy in Florida was wonderful.

There's just no way I want to travel within the U.S. I'd rather not travel at all and I'd surely die of boredom in a National Park! But here's the deal...my daughter has been remote learning for over a year and my husband and I have been working from home for the same amount of time. We have no elderly parents/grandparents left to worry about. I go to the grocery store and that's pretty much it. Since November, I was diagnosed with cancer and had surgery only to find out a couple of months ago it has metastasized. My husband and I are fully vaccinated. So if you think I'm going to listen to CNN/Fox or whatever crap the U.S. is tossing our way, you can forget it. I'm more likely to die from cancer than COVID, but hey, thanks for your judgement. (If the U.S. thinks all these places are so dangerous, maybe they should shut the borders?)

And BTW, my cousin lives in Ireland and has been back and forth 3 times in the last 6 months. Without insurance.

Everyone needs to make their own decisions. I can live with mine and I don't judge anyone else for theirs.

Having traveled throughout Egypt, you should take into account that the level of health care in most (or all) of the places you will be visiting may not be to the standards that you are used to whether related to COVID or not.

Most people think that if they become injured or ill and need hospitalization, their travel insurance will cover everything, check limits carefully. They also think it will cove medical evacuation home. 'Medical Evacuation' usually means that you will be taken to the nearest local hospital for care, if you need further care not available there, you will be taken by ground transport or economy class on the next available flight to the closest hospital able to treat you. It usually does NOT include taking you to your home hospital or hospital of choice and does not include a private medical transport flight.

Always read the fine print on travel insurance carefully and be prepared for any circumstance, especially when traveling with your family.

Having traveled throughout Egypt, you should take into account that the level of health care in most (or all) of the places you will be visiting may not be to the standards that you are used to whether related to COVID or not.

Most people think that if they become injured or ill and need hospitalization, their travel insurance will cover everything, check limits carefully. They also think it will cove medical evacuation home. 'Medical Evacuation' usually means that you will be taken to the nearest local hospital for care, if you need further care not available there, you will be taken by ground transport or economy class on the next available flight to the closest hospital able to treat you. It usually does NOT include taking you to your home hospital or hospital of choice and does not include a private medical transport flight.

Always read the fine print on travel insurance carefully and be prepared for any circumstance, especially when traveling with your family.

As I am vaccinated the Covid aspect is irrelevant. But I have been to lovely (but poor in infrastructure) countries like Cambodia and Burma and yes you should always take into account their level of care and medical capabilities and how that aligns with your risk profile. But some risk is always involved and people who travel are mostly extremely savvy and cognizant of that risk.

Egypt is adventure. Life is short. We’ve been putting a ton of our lives on hold and some people are deciding it is time to engage with the world again.

Some people will not agree with this and this is fine - but some people are just scolds (this does not refer to anyone here - just a growing trend).

Honestly, every person's situation is SO different. If you or someone in your party gets COVID-19, can you afford to pay for a place to be in quarantine for up to 2 weeks (or maybe more)? Can you afford to miss an additional 2 weeks of work? Will you be able to get decent treatment if you need to be hospitalized while in that country?
If the country you're changing planes in suddenly decides to not let planes land in their airports if they're traveling from the country you're in, can you afford to buy all new last-minute tickets to get home?
If people in the country you're in are suddenly not allowed to fly to the US (like from India) can you afford an extra month there?
That's just a couple of the situations you could find yourself in. If the answer is "Yes" or "I'm willing to take that chance" then more power to you, and enjoy your trip! If the answer is "No" or "I'm not willing to take that kind of chance" then "See the USA" is a great way to travel in 2021.

Sayhello

Honestly, every person's situation is SO different. If you or someone in your party gets COVID-19, can you afford to pay for a place to be in quarantine for up to 2 weeks (or maybe more)? Can you afford to miss an additional 2 weeks of work? Will you be able to get decent treatment if you need to be hospitalized while in that country?
If the country you're changing planes in suddenly decides to not let planes land in their airports if they're traveling from the country you're in, can you afford to buy all new last-minute tickets to get home?
If people in the country you're in are suddenly not allowed to fly to the US (like from India) can you afford an extra month there?
That's just a couple of the situations you could find yourself in. If the answer is "Yes" or "I'm willing to take that chance" then more power to you, and enjoy your trip! If the answer is "No" or "I'm not willing to take that kind of chance" then "See the USA" is a great way to travel in 2021.

Sayhello
Exactly. These are all extremely smart considerations. And many can be architected around (though some can’t).

I’m excited to see Hawaii again - but I need to see the World as soon as possible!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter