Are we crazy to consider Egypt June 24 2021?

Honestly, every person's situation is SO different. If you or someone in your party gets COVID-19, can you afford to pay for a place to be in quarantine for up to 2 weeks (or maybe more)? Can you afford to miss an additional 2 weeks of work? Will you be able to get decent treatment if you need to be hospitalized while in that country?
If the country you're changing planes in suddenly decides to not let planes land in their airports if they're traveling from the country you're in, can you afford to buy all new last-minute tickets to get home?
If people in the country you're in are suddenly not allowed to fly to the US (like from India) can you afford an extra month there?
That's just a couple of the situations you could find yourself in. If the answer is "Yes" or "I'm willing to take that chance" then more power to you, and enjoy your trip! If the answer is "No" or "I'm not willing to take that kind of chance" then "See the USA" is a great way to travel in 2021.

Sayhello

Fortunately we are cool with all those possibilities. I’ve just never wasted a lot of time on what ifs.

A side note about India - they still have flights coming in. As long as you’re a citizen or a perm resident (and a few other exemptions) you can fly to the U.S.

The definition of 'risk' is a situation involving exposure to danger. Everyone is entitled to take on as much risk as they like for themselves (perhaps taking risks for their family is a different matter). It is not 'scolding' to present factual realities of the issues involved in travel. As the definition says, possible danger is inherent in taking a risk; it only makes sense to be fully aware AND PREPARED if it actually happens to YOU.

Having traveled to over 60 countries, I remember when a friend was confined to a Cairo hospital for two weeks for an intestinal issue. Yes, she had the best travel insurance available; because the hospital could 'adequately' care for her, the insurance deemed no further action necessary. In the meantime, her worried husband was paying for all his expenses at a hotel in Cairo. We never travel without private medical evacuation insurance that would take us directly to the hospital of our choice anywhere in the world if we needed hospitalization. It makes sense to read ALL the fine print, think through all possible scenarios & have a plan B, C, etc.

The definition of 'risk' is a situation involving exposure to danger. Everyone is entitled to take on as much risk as they like for themselves (perhaps taking risks for their family is a different matter). It is not 'scolding' to present factual realities of the issues involved in travel. As the definition says, possible danger is inherent in taking a risk; it only makes sense to be fully aware AND PREPARED if it actually happens to YOU.

Having traveled to over 60 countries, I remember when a friend was confined to a Cairo hospital for two weeks for an intestinal issue. Yes, she had the best travel insurance available; because the hospital could 'adequately' care for her, the insurance deemed no further action necessary. In the meantime, her worried husband was paying for all his expenses at a hotel in Cairo. We never travel without private medical evacuation insurance that would take us directly to the hospital of our choice anywhere in the world if we needed hospitalization. It makes sense to read ALL the fine print, think through all possible scenarios & have a plan B, C, etc.

I don’t think anyone here said they weren’t getting insurance.

With all of the anit-maskers and anti-vaxxers (and now people who got the first but won't get the second) in the U.S., I can't imagine why anyone thinks traveling around the U.S. is a better idea - especially when millions of people will be doing exactly that!

U.S. - 328 million population 32.7M cases = .0997
Egypt - 100 million population 157k cases = .00157

U.S. - 328 million population 580,000 deaths = .00177
Egypt - 100 million population 13,779 deaths = .000137

At the above rate other countries shouldn't be letting their citizens come to the U.S. not the other way around!

With all of the anit-maskers and anti-vaxxers (and now people who got the first but won't get the second) in the U.S., I can't imagine why anyone thinks traveling around the U.S. is a better idea - especially when millions of people will be doing exactly that!

U.S. - 328 million population 32.7M cases = .0997
Egypt - 100 million population 157k cases = .00157

U.S. - 328 million population 580,000 deaths = .00177
Egypt - 100 million population 13,779 deaths = .000137

At the above rate other countries shouldn't be letting their citizens come to the U.S. not the other way around!
Because if I can't fly home from Utah for whatever reason, chances are good I could drive home. VERY hard to drive home from Egypt. And Utah has comparable health facilities to what I have in Ohio. And I don't have to deal with consulates and a language I don't speak. And my Health Insurance is probably good in Utah.

Sayhello

Because if I can't fly home from Utah for whatever reason, chances are good I could drive home. VERY hard to drive home from Egypt. And Utah has comparable health facilities to what I have in Ohio. And I don't have to deal with consulates and a language I don't speak. And my Health Insurance is probably good in Utah.

Sayhello

To each his own of course. I lived in India for over 7 years and my daughter was hospitalized there during that time. I’ve dealt with dozens of Consulates and visas and have had all kinds of experiences in 60+ countries so honestly very little scares me. And of course, even through all of what’s been happening this last year, if you could afford to pay for a ticket, you could always get home. And now they give deadlines of what’s changing so to some degree it’s less threatening. Fortunately, we personally have a lot of flexibility for school/work and can financially afford whatever is thrown at us. I just keep going back to people who ARE traveling internationally now and how different the situation is here. I’ve stopped believing in what we’re being told. That doesn’t mean we won’t travel responsibly. But it does mean that - for the first time since early Jan 2020 - we’ll travel. 🤷‍♀️

To each his own of course. I lived in India for over 7 years and my daughter was hospitalized there during that time. I’ve dealt with dozens of Consulates and visas and have had all kinds of experiences in 60+ countries so honestly very little scares me. And of course, even through all of what’s been happening this last year, if you could afford to pay for a ticket, you could always get home. And now they give deadlines of what’s changing so to some degree it’s less threatening. Fortunately, we personally have a lot of flexibility for school/work and can financially afford whatever is thrown at us. I just keep going back to people who ARE traveling internationally now and how different the situation is here. I’ve stopped believing in what we’re being told. That doesn’t mean we won’t travel responsibly. But it does mean that - for the first time since early Jan 2020 - we’ll travel. 🤷‍♀️
I totally get that, and I am glad you feel confident abroad in any situation, but I'm willing to bet that you will find that you are VERY MUCH in the minority on this board. Most people who post here will travel with ABD because they don't feel that comfortable traveling to a foreign country (or a particular foreign country) and like (and may really require) that they have ABD or someone like that to help them navigate the logistics of that unfamiliar travel. I just feel you're mostly preaching to the wrong choir here.

And there are some things that even ABD can't fix or change. (For example, the family that got quarantined in China for 10 days during their China ABD and the swine flu epidemic). And the people who went to England and, I believe Australia last year, only to have their trip cancelled once they got there, and have to hang around several days because it took that long to get a last-minute flight home because EVERYONE was trying to get home).

Have a good time in Egypt or Europe or wherever you go. *I* however won't be going there anytime soon, and I'm happy with that decision, and very much looking forward to my trip to Utah and New Mexico in October. Because America is *GORGEOUS*!!! I've been traveling abroad while I could for the last 11 years, because I knew the USA would still be there when and if I couldn't go abroad anymore. I always thought it would be because of my health or my financial situation; I NEVER EVER imagined it would be because of a global pandemic, but I am QUITE happy to get back to exploring the beauty of my own country for a while. It's too bad that you've written the US off, as it sounds like you haven't seen that much of it. To each their own.

Sayhello

Last edited:
I totally get that, and I am glad you feel confident abroad in any situation, but I'm willing to bet that you will find that you are VERY MUCH in the minority on this board. Most people who post here will travel with ABD because they don't feel that comfortable traveling to a foreign country (or a particular foreign country) and like (and may really require) that they have ABD or someone like that to help them navigate the logistics of that unfamiliar travel. I just feel you're mostly preaching to the wrong choir here.

And there are some things that even ABD can't fix or change. (For example, the family that got quarantined in China for 10 days during their China ABD and the swine flu epidemic). And the people who went to England and, I believe Australia last year, only to have their trip cancelled once they got there, and have to hang around several days because it took that long to get a last-minute flight home because EVERYONE was trying to get home).

Have a good time in Egypt or Europe or wherever you go. *I* however won't be going there anytime soon, and I'm happy with that decision, and very much looking forward to my trip to Utah and New Mexico in October. Because America is *GORGEOUS*!!! I've been traveling abroad while I could for the last 11 years, because I knew the USA would still be there when and if I couldn't go abroad anymore. I always thought it would be because of my health or my financial situation; I NEVER EVER imagined it would be because of a global pandemic, but I am QUITE happy to explore the beauty of my own country for a while. It's too bad that you've written the US off, as it sounds like you haven't seen that much of it. To each their own.

Sayhello

I totally understand that ABD people - as well as most of the cruisers - are generally not independent travelers. Perfectly fine with that. Just don’t like incorrect info being shared.

I’ve seen most of the U.S. and it’s just not “my” place - particularly with all that’s taken place the last few years.

Enjoy your travels wherever you go!

I am not from America, I'm from Ireland. For the last 20 years Ive done alot of solo travel in Europe and USA. Ive even lived in Germany when I don't speak the language. I am not the the typical ABD person, in fact organized trips like ABD are totally the opposite of how I love to travel. I miss travel so much, and I can't wait to get back on a plane again and have new adventures. But right now travel to a country which has an official do not travel status is reckless and irresponsible.

I totally understand that ABD people - as well as most of the cruisers - are generally not independent travelers. Perfectly fine with that. Just don’t like incorrect info being shared.

I’ve seen most of the U.S. and it’s just not “my” place - particularly with all that’s taken place the last few years.

I'm curious what "incorrect" information you feel is being shared. I haven't seen any, and that totally did not come across in your posts.

Sayhello

There's a huge difference between independent and unnecessary risk taking. I am totally an independent traveler. I like ABD and group travel for foreign countries simply because there's a lot that can go wrong, even in a country where you speak the language.

Wanting someone to watch your back in case of emergency is not being a baby that can't handle independent travel. It's being smart to make sure your trip runs smoothly.

And refusing to travel to a level 4 advisory country due to caution doesn't make you not independent either. It makes you someone who follows the suggestion of the government, who do not make these advisories for no reason.

And traveling internationally without insurance (which a level 4 country might void) is crazy risky. Especially during a pandemic.

This isn't about infection rates or the likelihood of getting sick. It's about being a traveler who does the best not to have a horrific experience.

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between independent and stupid. I am totally an independent traveler. I like ABD and group travel for foreign countries simply because there's a lot that can go wrong, even in a country where you speak the language.

Wanting someone to watch your back in case of emergency is not being a baby that can't handle independent travel. It's being smart to make sure your trip runs smoothly.

And refusing to travel to a level 4 advisory country due to caution doesn't make you not independent either. It makes you someone who follows the suggestion of the government, who do not make these advisories for no reason.

And traveling internationally without insurance (which a level 4 country might void) is crazy. Especially during a pandemic.

This isn't about infection rates or the likelihood of getting sick. It's about being a traveler who does the best not to have a horrific experience.
Um, YES! THIS! :lovestruc

Sayhello

There's a huge difference between independent and stupid. I am totally an independent traveler. I like ABD and group travel for foreign countries simply because there's a lot that can go wrong, even in a country where you speak the language.

And traveling internationally without insurance (which a level 4 country might void) is crazy. Especially during a pandemic.

Again, I never said anything not getting insurance. I referenced that even with a level 4 you can have valid insurance.

Again, I never said anything not getting insurance. I referenced that even with a level 4 you can have valid insurance.

And you have been told that the specific insurance you have, which comes automatic with your flight, Emirates Travel Insurance states in its terms and conditions

Exclusions
Page 8, Point Number 13
We will not cover the following:
Any Claim arising in connection with or during Your Trip to a specific country or area for which an official government agency has mandated a border closure or issued a travel prohibition or ban.

Just because you get automatic travel insurance for your flight, does not mean that the travel insurance is valid for the destination you are going to.

Again you are planning travel to a country which has been given the status of do not travel by your Government, yet you seem to think that you can still travel there and that you have valid travel insurance, when thats clearly not the case.

I

And you have been told that the specific insurance you have, which comes automatic with your flight, Emirates Travel Insurance states in its terms and conditions

Exclusions
Page 8, Point Number 13
We will not cover the following:
Any Claim arising in connection with or during Your Trip to a specific country or area for which an official government agency has mandated a border closure or issued a travel prohibition or ban.

Just because you get automatic travel insurance for your flight, does not mean that the travel insurance is valid for the destination you are going to.

Again you are planning travel to a country which has been given the status of do not travel by your Government, yet you seem to think that you can still travel there and that you have valid travel insurance, when thats clearly not the case.

I
Different person.

I didn't say you advocated no insurance. It was just a point that there's a lot more to consider traveling internationally to a level 4 country than traveling domestically.

You are ignoring how much less complex domestic travel is at this time.

I didn't say you advocated no insurance. It was just a point that there's a lot more to consider traveling internationally to a level 4 country than traveling domestically.

You are ignoring how much less complex domestic travel is at this time.
Nobody cares if anyone travels domestically - and of course it would be less complex. That would generally be true. It’s that people DEEPLY seem to care if sophisticated people make a decision to travel internationally.

Nobody cares if anyone travels domestically - and of course it would be less complex. That would generally be true. It’s that people DEEPLY seem to care if sophisticated people make a decision to travel internationally.
SOPHISTICATED PEOPLE???? :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Not judgemental much about people who choose not to travel internationally at this time, are you?

Sayhello

The OP asked for opinion. People are giving it.

And you are not "sophisticated" just because you are traveling internationally during a pandemic. That's insulting as heck.

If people are feeling deeply about international travelers here, it's because these international travelers are being condescending by acting like those chosing to travel domestically or not travel at all are babies and simpletons who just aren't savvy enough to handle international travel. Which is bull.

Please stop.

I have friends that just got back from Egypt last week. The pyramids were open and they got to see everything they wanted to see without the big crowds. Part of their vacation was a Nile River cruise. They had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter