Are we crazy to consider Egypt June 24 2021?

Soooo

I almost hate to restart this thread....but...we were booked on the Egypt trip to depart last year, having been one of those lucky ones that got in first for the cattle call and got our pick of dates and the lowest rate when the trip was first released. We were also booked on the inaugural trip for Rhone River. Both were cancelled. Our Rhone trip was rescheduled and cancelled by ABD two more times. We then tried AMA and it was cancelled. After the Egypt trip was cancelled, we moved the reservation to Poland/Prague/Austria for late September 2021. That's not going now...but the exact same date of the now cancelled Poland trip is available for Egypt.

We are debating moving it to Egypt. The vacationista tells me they have 33 confirmed/paid people for the September 21 trip and it is still a go, and she said it was a likely go as well. She did caution me with all the disclaimers about health and conditions can change at any time, and was clear that no promises or guarantees are made. She also told us that as of right now there are no changes to the itinerary due to the pandemic, closures, etc so we would experience the trip as posted except a bit more with the movement in Cairo of some artifacts the names of the locations to see them may change.

We haven't made a choice - and if we go it probably will follow the Egyption curse and with us on the trip cancellation would happen.

Our trip insurance for Egypt was vouchered and is still good....

We will make a decision soon, and we alone are stuck with the consequences. I have learned a lot from these boards over the years, good and bad. All people are different and have different views on many things. I have followed some advice on the boards that literally saved my ***, and followed some that was not a good outcome, but I always appreciate the diversity of thoughts and experiences. Thus, my friends and compatriots, I ask for some input from these boards on a couple of points:

1. When we booked Egypt the first time (and our reservation number for these other trips is still that original reservation number) we were at the early booking discount lowest rate. Obviously that's not in place now. They've had my money as paid in full for 16 months....although it is LESS than what we paid for Egypt as we received a partial refund when the less expensive Poland trip was booked. Even at the original rate, it's still $3g pp more...should or would ABD honor that rate if we moved to this date. We are longtime loyalists and think they should. This may be a deciding factor for us on many levels with ABD. Otherwise, we are looking at an additional $11g which is really hard to justify as we are not the uber wealthy. (Nothing against those that have money - but I can only eat so much peanut butter for lunch). We will make the economic decision on the economic calculation of is it worth it to us. If they give us the proper rate, we are 99 44/100s going to go. If not, we are presently hovering at below 40% on taking the trip.

2. Over the last, geez, 15 years, we have seen a lot of good trips and only a couple of trips we thought were truly great and knocked our socks off. Here I am referring to the posted trip, not what actually took place. The 2017 Australia trip was one of those, and we went, and they promptly changed it after we returned. Still my favorite trip ever ever ever. Today we wouldn't book the current Australia if the price were cut 80% - but that's us. (Yes, we are the ones in the trip report that went OYO tandem skydiving onto the Gold Coast Beach when ABD took us there). Different people like different things. We felt the same way about the original Scotland trip, but we didn't get there in time and now it just doesn't have the magic appeal. The Rhone River trip hit us the same way as the Australia trip - and it's gone away, slipped downstream likely to never be seen again. We did try 4 times to take that trip. We are on the New Zealand trip 10/31/2022 before they change it too. We really like the Egypt trip as currently envisioned. My concern is that this one in a similar manner may change after its been run. But sometimes change has been positive - as reported in Iceland and Norway. But this trip really has a good plan.

2. With many less people there we will not have the crowds. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? We will stand out more as tourists, yet we may encounter much less of the chaos. Or is that chaos part of what makes Egypt special?

3. Any comments or concerns on Turkish Air? We usually fly Lufthansa and they are available but the schedule is tough. Emirates has some great prices, but the layovers are really really long. Air is also a factor on our decision to go or not.

4. We are not concerned about the safety aspects of the mid-east. It is what it is. (I still just cannot fathom being on the Sinai peninsula and not climbing Mt. Sinai but after countless debate years back the risk/reward calculation pointed unequivocally toward DO NOT DO THIS). We are vaccinated as are our families. We are weighing concerns about end of this year second wave of the pandemic/new variants appearing that are not covered by the current vaccine, etc. This puts us slightly more inclined to travel now, before things again fall apart, which we realistically understand could include us getting wiped next. We don't want to die at our desk at work waiting for things to clear. But we also don't want to do something incredibly stupid. Our trust in the ABD brand is honestly a bit tarnished after the last 18 months on their honesty, their handling of ABDers arriving in Australia and then cancelling the trip, handling of the trip processes, etc. So we think while there is comfort that ABD is not likely to now deliberately put us in harms way on a trip that should not go, we are less sure about that right now. On the other hand, this may be as good as it gets.

5. The USA. Not going down the political path, but for us the last four years was as bad as I can ever imagine. I still see what to me is shallow selfish intolerance reigning in the USA and in a couple of years it may be worse and may come back. I would not feel safe doing anything in those conditions. We feel like we have aged 12 years in the last 4, and as such we may be reaching the end of our adventure tolerance. Or maybe it's already here. I see a nation that has changed, in some ways good and some ways very bad.

Please share with me your thoughts on any or all of these points. Thanks for taking the time, and for being generous with your willingness to weigh in, good, bad ugly or indifferent - we gather it all to ponder to reach our next steps. Thank you.

Well, I went to Morocco in March, so I'm not inclined to think it's crazy to go to Egypt in June. We traveled with Classic Journeys.

It was nice there were so few tourists there. It was not nice that there was still a curfew so no late night strolls, dinners out, people watching. It was not nice that so many places (tourist "must see" spots, restaurants, street vendors, shops, you name it) were closed. That might be different even a few months later and in a different country.

Flights were all over the place at the time. That might not be the case now. Our return flight was changed so frequently and ultimately to such a bad schedule (17hour OVERNIGHT layover in the Paris airport) that we canceled it halfway thru our trip and found a different airline with a direct flight home. Good thing, as 2 days after we canceled it, all flights to France were canceled and we'd've been scrambling to find something.

Had a friend fly Turkish Air. She loved it and said the first class lounge in Istanbul was the nicest she's ever been in, hands down.

Not sure how many people you're talking about, but I'm not sure I'd pony up an additional $11K for the trip. That's a whole other vacation for me somewhere. I tend to think of money as "how much travel/what will that get me?"

I’ll ask some questions back, to maybe help with your decision process -

1. What are cancel provisions of your original reservation? If your $$ is there, I think the cancel provisions of that original booking might apply. New reservations, you get their temporary full refund up to PIF date which is currently 65 days prior, so if you booked new now you’d have until mid-July to make that firm decision. Not sure how that works with a credit & original booking number.

2. I’d really push for the original opening day booking price, though you wouldn’t get any early booking discounts. Call out your many attempts to rebook from the original, numerous prior trips, ask for a one-time exception to get back to your original booked trip, still want to go with Disney but can’t if you’d have to pay current pricing, & see what they say.

3. Could you go next year when some of the departures have lower pricing? I guess is this also maybe ask yourself why the urgency to go this fall? You’ve already thought through some of it, are there any other factors simmering below the surface, or it a strong desire to travel somewhere this year, after so cancelled trips? Which many of us can identify with! Or is it if you didn’t do Egypt this year, you wouldn’t make it until 2023? Really liking this itinerary has also got to be a strong factor; they’ve already changed the Japan itinerary after just one year, and I really liked that original itinerary (though not all did). I’m also with you on NZ, really don’t think my 2021 trip will happen so am already trying to figure when I can fit it in to 2022 & still get the current itinerary.

4. With so many cancellations, can you still ask for your credit back? If you get your credit back, might that make you eligible for early booking discounts on some of the 2022 departures if you can move to one of those with a new booking.

5. Will you enjoy it if you go, or will there be some underlying frustrations at the higher pricing or AbD in general that will take away some of your enjoyment? It’s not worth it at any price if you won’t be enjoying it.

6. Kind of a weird mind game, but spend a few days saying yes you’ll go, then a few at no you won’t go, and see how you feel with each decision. Your gut will help tell you which is right for you. If you have to work hard to convince yourself you want to go or going is the right choice, then maybe it isn’t the right time for the trip. Your “yes” decision should just feel better if it’s the right one for you.

7. If you’ve not already done so, look at the current but ever changing health & safety protocols - are you OK with them if they stayed the same as they are now? Some would not be.

Good luck with the deciding - it’s still not easy.

Really enjoyed the thoughtful posts. I'm going to think about it and chime in if there is anything I think I can add. My only immediate concern was what I thought was an escalation of COVID cases in Egypt, but it looks like they've been coming down after a small rise a few weeks ago. Its numbers actually look pretty good (5 per 100k over last 7 days) when compared to the US overall (32 per 100k).

Soooo

I almost hate to restart this thread....but...we were booked on the Egypt trip to depart last year, having been one of those lucky ones that got in first for the cattle call and got our pick of dates and the lowest rate when the trip was first released. We were also booked on the inaugural trip for Rhone River. Both were cancelled. Our Rhone trip was rescheduled and cancelled by ABD two more times. We then tried AMA and it was cancelled. After the Egypt trip was cancelled, we moved the reservation to Poland/Prague/Austria for late September 2021. That's not going now...but the exact same date of the now cancelled Poland trip is available for Egypt.

We are debating moving it to Egypt. The vacationista tells me they have 33 confirmed/paid people for the September 21 trip and it is still a go, and she said it was a likely go as well. She did caution me with all the disclaimers about health and conditions can change at any time, and was clear that no promises or guarantees are made. She also told us that as of right now there are no changes to the itinerary due to the pandemic, closures, etc so we would experience the trip as posted except a bit more with the movement in Cairo of some artifacts the names of the locations to see them may change.

We haven't made a choice - and if we go it probably will follow the Egyption curse and with us on the trip cancellation would happen.

Our trip insurance for Egypt was vouchered and is still good....

We will make a decision soon, and we alone are stuck with the consequences. I have learned a lot from these boards over the years, good and bad. All people are different and have different views on many things. I have followed some advice on the boards that literally saved my ***, and followed some that was not a good outcome, but I always appreciate the diversity of thoughts and experiences. Thus, my friends and compatriots, I ask for some input from these boards on a couple of points:

1. When we booked Egypt the first time (and our reservation number for these other trips is still that original reservation number) we were at the early booking discount lowest rate. Obviously that's not in place now. They've had my money as paid in full for 16 months....although it is LESS than what we paid for Egypt as we received a partial refund when the less expensive Poland trip was booked. Even at the original rate, it's still $3g pp more...should or would ABD honor that rate if we moved to this date. We are longtime loyalists and think they should. This may be a deciding factor for us on many levels with ABD. Otherwise, we are looking at an additional $11g which is really hard to justify as we are not the uber wealthy. (Nothing against those that have money - but I can only eat so much peanut butter for lunch). We will make the economic decision on the economic calculation of is it worth it to us. If they give us the proper rate, we are 99 44/100s going to go. If not, we are presently hovering at below 40% on taking the trip.

2. Over the last, geez, 15 years, we have seen a lot of good trips and only a couple of trips we thought were truly great and knocked our socks off. Here I am referring to the posted trip, not what actually took place. The 2017 Australia trip was one of those, and we went, and they promptly changed it after we returned. Still my favorite trip ever ever ever. Today we wouldn't book the current Australia if the price were cut 80% - but that's us. (Yes, we are the ones in the trip report that went OYO tandem skydiving onto the Gold Coast Beach when ABD took us there). Different people like different things. We felt the same way about the original Scotland trip, but we didn't get there in time and now it just doesn't have the magic appeal. The Rhone River trip hit us the same way as the Australia trip - and it's gone away, slipped downstream likely to never be seen again. We did try 4 times to take that trip. We are on the New Zealand trip 10/31/2022 before they change it too. We really like the Egypt trip as currently envisioned. My concern is that this one in a similar manner may change after its been run. But sometimes change has been positive - as reported in Iceland and Norway. But this trip really has a good plan.

2. With many less people there we will not have the crowds. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? We will stand out more as tourists, yet we may encounter much less of the chaos. Or is that chaos part of what makes Egypt special?

3. Any comments or concerns on Turkish Air? We usually fly Lufthansa and they are available but the schedule is tough. Emirates has some great prices, but the layovers are really really long. Air is also a factor on our decision to go or not.

4. We are not concerned about the safety aspects of the mid-east. It is what it is. (I still just cannot fathom being on the Sinai peninsula and not climbing Mt. Sinai but after countless debate years back the risk/reward calculation pointed unequivocally toward DO NOT DO THIS). We are vaccinated as are our families. We are weighing concerns about end of this year second wave of the pandemic/new variants appearing that are not covered by the current vaccine, etc. This puts us slightly more inclined to travel now, before things again fall apart, which we realistically understand could include us getting wiped next. We don't want to die at our desk at work waiting for things to clear. But we also don't want to do something incredibly stupid. Our trust in the ABD brand is honestly a bit tarnished after the last 18 months on their honesty, their handling of ABDers arriving in Australia and then cancelling the trip, handling of the trip processes, etc. So we think while there is comfort that ABD is not likely to now deliberately put us in harms way on a trip that should not go, we are less sure about that right now. On the other hand, this may be as good as it gets.

5. The USA. Not going down the political path, but for us the last four years was as bad as I can ever imagine. I still see what to me is shallow selfish intolerance reigning in the USA and in a couple of years it may be worse and may come back. I would not feel safe doing anything in those conditions. We feel like we have aged 12 years in the last 4, and as such we may be reaching the end of our adventure tolerance. Or maybe it's already here. I see a nation that has changed, in some ways good and some ways very bad.

Please share with me your thoughts on any or all of these points. Thanks for taking the time, and for being generous with your willingness to weigh in, good, bad ugly or indifferent - we gather it all to ponder to reach our next steps. Thank you.

You can try asking them to see if they will give you EBD rates for the September date since you are loyalists to the brand since it wouldn't hurt. The worse case is they can say no because EBD is only for that certain booking date and is based on those first groups that purchase. But from my experience with them your gonna have to work your way up in ranks to a supervisor to probably get the rate.

I think the vacationista has to tell you at the moment that the trip is a go since they haven't heard anything else yet. When would the full amount of trip be due? If you purchase airline tickets will they be refundable?? My only concern is ABD loves to cancel after you make a full payment, and if you can't get airline tickets refunded that's a huge no in my opinion. I wouldn't want to get a voucher credit that forces me to travel with that airlines for a destination in the future where I'm uncertain which countries I would be traveling to.

You mention trip insurance with Egypt is still good.... but if you book on the new Sept date, will that same policy that you originally booked cover the same thing, or will there be new rules that will or won't apply/cover to you?

I just wanted to follow up on our experience. I want to say that Egypt is absolutely AWESOME. We loved everything we did and did 98% of the things we wanted to do. It was one of our best vacations ever. Covid-wise, we felt very safe. First - there are NO crowds! So places where they might be a 2-3 hours wait to get in, we just walked in. There are signs for masks and social distancing all around. There are also social distancing markers at mosques, in hotel elevators, etc. We spent a lot of time outside - at historical sites, etc. and were almost never in a place where there were people on top of us. You are required to wear a mask in Uber cars and entering all Temples/historical sites. I am sure all of that will change as more people start to travel but I'd feel more comfortable going sooner rather than later. I have no doubt we encountered less people than if we were at WDW! Crowd-wise it was the perfect time to go.

I understand people who want to travel with ABD - for whatever reason - but comparing their Egypt itinerary to what we did I'll note that their itinerary will be a lot of traveling and a lot of rushing. We did a similar itinerary in 16 days (not 10) and could have easily spent more time in each place. The other thing to take into consideration is the HEAT. We went the end of June into almost mid-July. We had many days with temps over 111 degrees - at 10 a.m.! It only gets hotter into August. I'd seriously consider going outside the summer if possible. It's NOT the same heat as in TX, FL, etc. And you are outside in places where there is very little to no shade. Be prepared - Pedialyte/Gatorade powder is helpful.

In any case, I think those who go will love Egypt. Great people and food, and incredible sights!

I just wanted to follow up on our experience. I want to say that Egypt is absolutely AWESOME. We loved everything we did and did 98% of the things we wanted to do. It was one of our best vacations ever. Covid-wise, we felt very safe. First - there are NO crowds! So places where they might be a 2-3 hours wait to get in, we just walked in. There are signs for masks and social distancing all around. There are also social distancing markers at mosques, in hotel elevators, etc. We spent a lot of time outside - at historical sites, etc. and were almost never in a place where there were people on top of us. You are required to wear a mask in Uber cars and entering all Temples/historical sites. I am sure all of that will change as more people start to travel but I'd feel more comfortable going sooner rather than later. I have no doubt we encountered less people than if we were at WDW! Crowd-wise it was the perfect time to go.

I understand people who want to travel with ABD - for whatever reason - but comparing their Egypt itinerary to what we did I'll note that their itinerary will be a lot of traveling and a lot of rushing. We did a similar itinerary in 16 days (not 10) and could have easily spent more time in each place. The other thing to take into consideration is the HEAT. We went the end of June into almost mid-July. We had many days with temps over 111 degrees - at 10 a.m.! It only gets hotter into August. I'd seriously consider going outside the summer if possible. It's NOT the same heat as in TX, FL, etc. And you are outside in places where there is very little to no shade. Be prepared - Pedialyte/Gatorade powder is helpful.

In any case, I think those who go will love Egypt. Great people and food, and incredible sights!
So glad you had a wonderful experience--thanks for coming back to post. I hope to get to Egypt one day. I agree with you about traveling sooner rather than later. I had a similar experience. I think that time has passed though--from what I'm hearing lots of US tourists around the globe right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter