Are we crazy?

Haygar2

DIS Veteran
I am having serious Disney withdraw. My husband swore he wouldn't go until the mask mandate was completely gone. We can only go in the summer and it's now our idea of a good time if we have to wear masks when it's 100 degrees outside. Well....we have been trying to plan a 4 day getaway somewhere and just couldn't decide on any one place. Except for Disney. We are looking at 4 days and not doing any parks. Just hanging out at our resort, Disney Springs, and a water park. Are we crazy or would you do it?

We were in the same boat and went to Disney to escape the cold. The trick for us was finding masks that we could wear in the heat. Etsy sells some that are more breathable. They are not medical grade but are fine for what we do at Disney, mostly outside and socially distanced. Disney Springs does play an annoying recording every few minutes reminding you to wash your hands and wear masks. Once while entering should be enough, but no. We skipped the parks but enjoyed the pools and the restaurants. Not ideal but still glad we went.

Depends on if you are staying on property or not. I can't see paying the prices to stay on property and not go to the parks. Now, I can see staying in a nice resort in Orlando and doing some of the things around Orlando there are to do. We don't do water parks and haven't been to DS since it was DD so neither of those sound good to me. Orlando has a few good museums and a decent science center. There are all sorts of cute small towns around Orlando to explore.

Depends on if you are staying on property or not. I can't see paying the prices to stay on property and not go to the parks. Now, I can see staying in a nice resort in Orlando and doing some of the things around Orlando there are to do. We don't do water parks and haven't been to DS since it was DD so neither of those sound good to me. Orlando has a few good museums and a decent science center. There are all sorts of cute small towns around Orlando to explore.

I agree with this. There is no way I would pay the up charge to stay onsite if I wasn't going to the parks. There are other really nice resorts in Orlando with beautiful pools, etc. that will give you more bang for your buck than staying onsite. Honestly, if you don't want to wear masks in the heat, I would consider going to a cooler place and saving Orlando for another time.

I am having serious Disney withdraw. My husband swore he wouldn't go until the mask mandate was completely gone. We can only go in the summer and it's now our idea of a good time if we have to wear masks when it's 100 degrees outside. Well....we have been trying to plan a 4 day getaway somewhere and just couldn't decide on any one place. Except for Disney. We are looking at 4 days and not doing any parks. Just hanging out at our resort, Disney Springs, and a water park. Are we crazy or would you do it?
No you are not crazy!

We mostly do what you are thinking about doing: pools, dining, drinking, shopping, with only a few hours at the parks.

We get pretty sweaty under our masks, and they are not particularly comfortable in the Florida humidity and heat. The key to remember is that you do not have to wear a mask while on the pool deck (unless you are going to the bathroom) and you do not have to wear masks while actually eating or drinking.

If you go, you can use Disney transportation to dine at some of the hotels that perhaps you have never visited.

Big River Grille at the Boardwalk and Geyser Point at the Wilderness Lodge are nice places for outdoor dining in the evening. GP does not accept reservations while BRG accepts reservations on opentable.com.

Both have pretty good views.

BRG 02.JPG

GP 01.JPG

Try the hotels at Universal. They are just as nice with better service. There is just no way I would pay to go to WDW and not go to the parks.

Do realize it won’t be a maskless trip. You still have to wear a mask at all times you are not in your room, at a pool or sitting down to eat. You have to wear one walking outside at any Disney resort and Disney Springs, while waiting for transport to the water park or Disney springs, at the water park when- entering/exiting the park, getting food, using a restroom or going in a shop.

I don’t think resort only trips would be my jam this year due to the capacity restrictions at the pools and restaurants. Just sounds frustrating.

I don’t think resort only trips would be my jam this year due to the capacity restrictions at the pools and restaurants. Just sounds frustrating.
It really depends on what time of day you head to the pools. Most pools are pretty empty before 11 AM, and if you are avoiding theme parks and going in the summer, it makes a lot of sense to head straight to a pool after breakfast. We've done this a few times and usually get our pick of chairs.

Heading to a pool after lunch is entirely different, and there tends to be no space until the usual summer afternoon storms arrive or the sun gets low in the sky.

The OP wrote:

Well....we have been trying to plan a 4 day getaway somewhere and just couldn't decide on any one place. Except for Disney. We are looking at 4 days and not doing any parks. Just hanging out at our resort, Disney Springs, and a water park. Are we crazy or would you do it?​

The question becomes: where can you go and not wear masks? Most indoor places are still requiring masks, meaning you need to head to some place that's mostly outdoors. Camping? The beach? Something else?

WDW pools enables the OP to spend hours relaxing poolside, with convenient bus service to explore other WDW locations such as other hotels, restaurants, and Disney Springs. DS is really hot in the day during summer, so it's something that's better experienced at night.

With this in mind, a WDW non-theme park trip this summer could be:
  • Sleep in.
  • Have a late breakfast.
  • Spend hours poolside.
  • Go back to the room to shower and dress (typically when the afternoon rains arrive).
  • Head to Disney Springs or one of the hotels for shopping, dinner and drinks.
In addition to the 2 outdoor restaurants I mentioned above, there are a few Disney Springs restaurants that do walk-ups, and a couple that are easier to book than others.

It's only a 4-day trip, and it's amazing how relaxing WDW can be if you avoid the theme parks.

Last edited:
I'd do it without thinking twice. I know what you are saying about the masks in the 100% humidity but if you are doing a resort only trip, I think you'll be fine.

It'll be nice to sleep in if you want and just take your time. If you can, I'd upgrade my resort to either a deluxe or DVC ( renting could be an option ).

Sounds like heaven to me ! I would 1000% do it and love every minute of it! Just to be in that sunshine and disney bubble 😍.

Your husband is a smart man. Got back a couple of weeks ago and never again until no masks and everything reopens.

Fastpasser !!! Miss ya, and so glad YOU are the one posting this !!! Thinking for weeks about a July trip, and with limited experiences (I remember seeing you at SW Dessert party--- we are HUGE dessert party fans !!), and the masks--- especially the masks--- dont think anyway we will be able to do it !!

Sounds like heaven to me ! I would 1000% do it and love every minute of it! Just to be in that sunshine and disney bubble 😍.

Its not that great. God forbid you pull your mask down to wipe the sweat, or grab a sip of water. You'll have a cast member on your butt in no time. They dont even take consideration with the fact that people needs to do basic things like drink water involves pulling your mask down. You cant ALWAYS stop walking to take a sip. Its a little frustrating and really spoils the magic.

Its not that great. God forbid you pull your mask down to wipe the sweat, or grab a sip of water. You'll have a cast member on your butt in no time. They dont even take consideration with the fact that people needs to do basic things like drink water involves pulling your mask down.
We have seen something different during our several trips since WDW reopened.

During the first few months, mask compliance was fantastic and Cast Members strictly enforced it.

During our most recent trip in March, mask compliance is down (but still very high). There were plenty of people sitting or standing still on the sides of walkways eating and drinking, and Cast Members were not as strict about wearing masks at the parks. Fatigue has set in.

The sweat builds up pretty quickly on your mouth and chin, and it’s almost impossible not to pull out your mask for a second and wipe away the sweat.

It is much better at hotels and indoor restaurants where it’s air conditioned, and at pools where you can take off your mask.

The OP mentioned doing a non-theme park trip, which should be ok except for Disney Springs, which gets just as hot as the theme parks.

Otherwise, spend time indoor in your room, at your hotel, or in a restaurant, or spend maskless time at a pool. This is the best way to avoid the issue of masks in heat.

Fastpasser !!! Miss ya, and so glad YOU are the one posting this !!! Thinking for weeks about a July trip, and with limited experiences (I remember seeing you at SW Dessert party--- we are HUGE dessert party fans !!), and the masks--- especially the masks--- dont think anyway we will be able to do it !!
Thank you and I miss all of you too. I've been told by PEO CMs that dessert parties and other special events are In the planning stage and that restaffing is underway.

I wouldn't necessarily say you are crazy, and it's your money so do what brings you the most joy.

All I know is that personally I would not pay the rates Disney charges for their hotels if I wasn't going to the parks. That trip might make sense for DVC owners who have the points and have already committed the money, but if you are paying out of pocket, the on-site resorts simply do not provide enough bang for your buck. For example, the YC is a perfectly nice resort with a fun pool and access to the Boardwalk area, but when the rack rates for the summer rarely fall below $600 per night its simply not a nice enough resort to justify its costs without factoring in the park proximity. For that amount of money you could stay at an actual luxury resort in Orlando or maybe even another destination in a cooler place (where the masks wouldn't be as much of an issue) or where masks aren't as strictly enforced. Also, while Disney Springs is fun, it's not exactly my idea of "relaxing" and their mask rules are just as strict as the parks (to say nothing of crowds).

I totally get the Disney withdrawal, but avoiding the parks won't prevent you from having to wear a mask in most places except your room and the pool, to say nothing of how expensive they are compared to far nicer resorts that don't have the benefit of proximity to WDW parks. That said, you aren't crazy if this is what you want to do. Just make sure you know that Disney's strict mask policy is stricter than most destinations and it isn't limited to the parks.

Thank you and I miss all of you too. I've been told by PEO CMs that dessert parties and other special events are In the planning stage and that restaffing is underway.

It was truly a pleasure speaking with you that night !!! That would be SWEET !!! Thank you !!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter