• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you sending your kids to school next month?

That’s pretty dismissive, especially considering that Canada’s official guidelines specify NO MASKS and NO SOCIAL DISTANCING because it is mentally and emotionally harmful for the kids. We’re going to be raising a bunch of neurotic, anxiety-ridden kids despite the fact that THEY are the ones who are least at-risk, How about the older people work to protect themselves and allow kids to be kids.? Teachers could wear N95 masks. Kids are so-far suspected to be less-likely to transmit the disease based on a number of studies now. Heck, we know they don’t catch it as often, so that alone means they aren’t as likely to transmit it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...-kids-less-likely-to-catch-it-than-adults-are

Canada, as a country, does not have national guidelines on masks or social distancing for children. Sick kids hospital in Toronto did put out suggested guidelines including very small cohorts or social distancing. They did not suggest masks for young children but the Ontario.ca website with their school recommendations said parents could send their children to school with a mask but that the mask wouldn’t be the school’s responsibility. They also suggested social distancing.

You take a chance going outside your house. Like I said which the part you left out. More kids will die from school shooting, suicide, going to and from schools than corono. You take a chance when going outside your house. In lot of different ways. Or maybe I could die inside my house from a home invasion, airplane crashed into my house, fire, etc. you can’t always live in fear, fear could cost you your life also. ,
No, I think most of the people who have gone back to work don't have the luxury of being in a safe setting in an office either. I think that is a new and unavoidable reality for the foreseeable future. Office workers, around me anyway, are the only ones who can still stay home. It is the retail workers who have to deal with an increasingly irate public and the factory workers sharing one large undivided space with dozens or hundreds of other people and the waitresses and the hairdressers and the DMV clerks and all those other people doing jobs that can't be done from a distance that are back to work, whether or not they feel like it is safe to be there every day. Teaching, likewise, cannot be done effectively from a distance. But I'm hearing from a lot of teachers that because they don't feel safe, they shouldn't have to go back... which is to say that they believe they should be an exception from the conditions that all other workers are having to contend with during this time.

We are supposed to go back (staff Aug. 10) most students will start Aug 24. The "youngest" learners will be in the same room/class/teacher the entire day. Older kids will be in co=horts, and a hybrid mix of on-line and in person learning. I teach pre-school. I believe it will be a nightmare. My biggest concern is keeping the helicopter parents at bay! But I think the school won't allow parents inside to drop kids off anymore.
We haven't had inside drop offs for years around here not even pre school.

We had a 5th grade reverse parade at one of the elementary schools that I teach. Teachers all met beforehand while getting organized and most did not put on their masks or social distance. I went into another school today to do some work and the office staff were not wearing masks. Granted, it was a ghost town but I had a mask on, and when I entered the office, no one put theirs on. I wouldn't rely on the adults in the room to be compliant with masks and social distancing. What you see online is a microcosm of what will happen in the schools. Parents will be sending in notes as to why their kids shouldn't be made to wear a mask. It's just not going to work.
I had to go back to the school right after our school year ended (early June) and no one wore masks. I was the only adult in the building that was wearing one, and this was while my area was still in the midst of a stay at home order, we were all supposed to be wearing masks if we had to go into work. We were all supposed to be social distancing but the principal called me to her office, invited me to sit down at her small table with her, and did not wear a mask even though she was sitting 3 feet across the table from me. How do you address that when it is your boss? I'm dreading August, dreading going back to school. It's going to be absolutely horrible. The best part is that I just found out my students aren't required to wear masks.

I don’t know what to do. Our area has been spiking lately. School starts in a month. We can do all online or all in person. My kids want to go in person. They would learn better in class. I don’t know if I’ll have the bandwidth to manage their online instruction especially since it’s supposed to be synchronous learning (live lectures) cause I am also working. I’m remote thru December now.

My kids are homeschool and have always been homeschooled so nothing really to decide for me as we will continue as we have been. Only difference might be if my oldest decides to take some college level courses those maybe online only. Most of the courses that oldest would be taking have sessions that are online for the entire term as well as sessions that are in class ranging from smaller sized classes to huge lecture halls. Oldest will be a Sophmore and youngest is going into 7th grade. Youngest will continue to go to Speech and Occupational Therapy every week using the same guidelines they have been doing which is parents have a choice to currently walk child to the door or have their child's therapist come to their vehicle (in our case OT does the pick up and ST does the bring back to vehicle that way I am able to communicate with both of them) but are not allowed inside. Kids wash their hands at the start and end of their sessions and the rooms are sanitized inbetween kids and other precautions taken. At this time masks are not required in my area though if parents wish to send thier child in a mask they can. We have been told that it is hard to do Speech Therapy with a mask (the therapist can not see tounge position and teeth spacing from what I understand). From what I understand if masks become manditory in my local area they will cancel therapy as they did when we were on a complete shut down.

We have gotten word that the state office of public instruction has issued guidelines for school for next year with local districts deciding on which scenerio will be used

1) all online schools are asked not to do this unless we end up with a complete schools shut down due to an increased outbreak

2) hybid of online and in class instruction which for elementary level would be 2 days of instruction in the classroom and 2 days of instruction online with a day inbetween for deep cleaning the school in small groups sizes of no more than 50 people provided that there is at least 6 ft of space between persons not in the same household. Secondary would be placed in smaller groups all taking at least the core classes on the same level so Sr Honors English, Sr Honors Physics 2, Sr Calculus, Sr Government/State History (one of the options in my area that can be taken the semester opposite government) and the teachers would roate. Smaller electives such as Spanish 4 (most students only take 2 years of a foreign language and then only if on the college option track) so the only Srs taking the class started as Freshman and if they took a different elective such as band, choir, or orchestra for their full year class that year they would not be in the Spanish 4 as a senior. Those courses would be online and there would be limited movement for classes such as PE and music classes

3) same as 2 but with increased numbers of students to be over 50 so classes such as music and drama that tend to meet in larger groups can have the entire class in larger districts meet at once instead of in smaller ensambles. In the larger districts that have over 1300 students in each high school building some of the music classes easily have 50-60 and even 75+ students in them. The smaller districts that have less than 150 students in Kindergarten-Senior Year even with having the middle schoolers in the same music class might have 25-30 max on a good year and other years they have 5-8 and end up taking the upper elementary students into playing recorders with the band for pep band.

4) classes are completely in person which would be for smaller districts only unless we go to the final phase of reopening which is phase 3 at which point only those who are at risk would need to continue to social distance and take precautions where that was not possible.

In all cases schools have to provide for students who themselves or have a family member who is considered high risk or who work with those who are high risk such as a parent is a medical personel work in a nursing home to do all classes either online or via other take home work if the student does not have intenet (we have areas that you can't even get a cell phone signal much less internet so those students would have packets to do and either be expected to mail them on a regular basis or turn them in at a drop off point.

Schools are being encouraged to have both wifi as well as laptops available for student use at meal pick up locations so that students without intenet access at home can have access for lessons that can not be done strictly using books and paper activities. I.E. if a teacher was showing a clip about the revolutionary war that student who didn't have internet access at home could watch it at the meal pick up point either in their vehicle on their device or if the family did not have a cell phone with data, a tablet, or a laptop on a district laptop and would just have to bring their own headphones.

All this was in a lovely 40 page document that was released to the school on July 2 and was made public on the news this evening (well a link if you actually watched the news on TV and not just read the article online like I did was mentioned. I just had to click on the link). At this time school districts have not announced their plans so it is going to depend on what is decided by the high school district I am in for my brother and sister in law to make a decision on their kids who will be a Freshman and a Senior this year. I have a feeling since the Senior takes college level courses as well that the choice is going to be up to the Senior as to take the high school level courses in person and college level courses online (normal is to have the high school students take these in a room all together with an aid proctoring the class and taking attendance for the high school credit portion) or to take all classes online at home. The one that will be a Freshman on the other hand is a different story and I think if at all possible that one they will have attend at least part time at the school with the other days my mom being in charge of making sure school work is done. Freshman has pulled teachers didn't assign any homework all the way through middle school. In a school district that is small and older sibling had at least 95% of the same teachers for the same subjects and had homework (Senior is an honors student and freshman has a well I have a c average attitude and isn't doing anything else). This would be done mainly so that Grandma could have a break a couple days a week from having to make sure that work got done as they would not put that responsibility on Senior and both of them work.

We're in CT, where school starts on Wednesday, September 2. My son is going into kindergarten, so this is my first experience with our town's public schools. I just received a survey in my email this morning, so at least I know they received his registration. He really needs to go back; he's been an absolute terror since May or so. I am unable to get him to actually learn anything - he did well in preschool, but I think at his age, he sees school as "that's where I sit and learn and see my friends" and home is "play-play-play-scream at Mommy-play." I don't believe that he will successfully wear a mask from bus stop in the morning until he gets home in the afternoon - he's good about wearing it in public, but he does play with it, pull on it, complain, etc. after 30 minutes. And I can't imagine all these 5-year-olds maintaining social distance (never mind that classrooms aren't actually big enough to space desks 6 ft. apart, seriously). I really, really, REALLY wish the state would consider half-days/morning and afternoon shifts, but at this time, to paraphrase the governor, "We're doing really well and there's no reason they can't go back as normal" :sad2:

Schools here have only been out about 2 weeks and start in September. Decisions about opening won’t be announced until the first week of August.

I don’t have school age kids anymore, but if I did, would seriously consider keeping them home, especially if I lived in a state where Covid cases are spiking. And I know that is easier said than done. I just hope schools can open safely, with adequate funding, and with proper PPE for the teachers and adult staff, as well as students. I feel for all of you being forced to make tough decisions.

The more I think and look into this, the more I would prefer for my daughter to do online school. If my school gives us the option to do it 100% at home I will choose that. I think they’re looking at a hybrid schedule though.

What I am seeing being thrown out there for in school seems like torture. Kids stay in one class all day, teachers move from classroom to classroom, no hot lunch, only boxed lunches that they will eat in the same classroom they’ve been in all day, social distancing so how much socializing are these kids going to have, in one class all day so what socializing will they have, wear masks all day, etc.

My daughter is a social creature and that’s why I was really pushing for in school. (she’s always been a straight A student, even with online learning, so that’s not an issue) But what’s being presented just sounds like torture for these kids. Especially my daughter. She was very much looking forward to high school because she would be switching classes with new kids each class (in 8th grade she was in an honors program so she switched classes every period but with the same kids). She has two honors classes this year which she’ll most likely be with most of the same kids for those two classes but she’ll have the rest of the day to be with other kids.

I know staying stuck in one room for 8 hours and having to take lunch in that same room is too confining for me. She’d do better at home. She can socialize after school and on weekends.

Last edited:
As a high school science teacher who works in a state that is saying we will be back physically in schools come August, I am scared and anxious about the working conditions I will be in. As any teacher knows, getting any type of cleaning/personal hygiene supplies is hard during a regular school year and pretty much 100% of the time, the money comes out of my pocket. I am saving all my Clorox wipes and rubbing alcohol for myself and my family since we have an infant at home. I can't be using that small stash for school too..it will run out within a week or two.

As a teacher, I found that the best way to be effective with kids is to get down to their level or be close enough to examine their work while holding a discussion about it. During lab time, be able to get into their work groups and help guide them when they run into issues. During the current state of things, I am not comfortable at all doing the things I would normally do at school. How effective is teaching in person going to be if I have to wear a mask (which I am totally good about) while social distancing from my students? How will they be able to work with their peers while social distancing?

. How effective is teaching in person going to be if I have to wear a mask (which I am totally good about) while social distancing from my students? How will they be able to work with their peers while social distancing?

also, how well prepared will the teachers be when they are switching classes with all of their materials? Can they even transport everything they will need? How restless will the kids be after having been in the same seat and room for 5 hours? How much will they be learning at that point?

I just think we are screwed either way. Neither choice will be the best choice. There are going to be cons on both sides.

The more I think and look into this, the more I would prefer for my daughter to do online school. If my school gives us the option to do it 100% at home I will choose that. I think they’re looking at a hybrid schedule though.

What I am seeing being thrown out there for in school seems like torture. Kids stay in one class all day, teachers move from classroom to classroom, no hot lunch, only boxed lunches that they will eat in the same classroom they’ve been in all day, social distancing so how much socializing are these kids going to have, in one class all day so what socializing will they have, wear masks all day, etc.

My daughter is a social creature and that’s why I was really pushing for in school. (she’s always been a straight A student, even with online learning, so that’s not an issue) But what’s being presented just sounds like torture for these kids. Especially my daughter. She was very much looking forward to high school because she would be switching classes with new kids each class (in 8th grade she was in an honors program so she switched classes every period but with the same kids). She has two honors classes this year which she’ll most likely be with most of the same kids for those two classes but she’ll have the rest of the day to be with other kids.

I know staying stuck in one room for 8 hours and having to take lunch in that same room is too confining for me. She’d do better at home. She can socialize after school and on weekends.
I think this opinion is spot on. The concessions necessary for in class to work are so disruptive that they seriously affect the experience. That, coupled with assuming risk, just not worth it. Easier to do school online where the experience will not be altered from its original intent. My daughter will be home in the fall as well. I already homeschool my younger twins, so they are not impacted.

Kids were home through war times, they were home when towns had no schools many, many years ago. Home education is not a bad thing. Children are resilient.

I totally agree with you. Distance learning was a complete flop for us in the Spring and if you had asked me in May, I would have told you I would do anything to get my kids back in the classroom. But fast forward to today where our numbers are rising and I’m starting to see the beginning of hybrid plans and I can’t imagine sending them back in. If my district offers remote learning, which they’re being encouraged to do, we will do that.

I sat down with my kids to discuss it and across the board, they don’t want to go back under these conditions. My oldest has said it would be harder to be around her friends but have to keep distance and not really be able to talk than it would be to not see them at all. It makes me sad, but I have to respect that. I have seen some parents discuss co-ops where they’re all doing remote learning from the school, but a small group of kids are doing it together. It would work better in the elementary level, but it’s an idea (assuming you know the risks the other families are taking).

On the educational side, I just don’t see how these hybrid plans work effectively. And since our districts are already being warned about going to full remote learning at some point, I’d rather see a well thought out remote learning plan for Fall. The final decision for us won’t be decided until August, with a mid-August start, so there is a chance our numbers will be so bad by then, there won’t be any choice to be had.

Our county’s plan was approved Friday:

Option A- In Class Mon. Tues. Distance Learning Wed.-Fri.
Option B- Distance Learning Mon.-Wed. In Class Thurs. Fri.
Option C- Full Distance Learning

Mine will be entering 9th grade. It would be four classes + lunch in room. 7am-12:30pm I’m not clear if they’d be switching classes or if the teachers would. Basically they’re going to shove both semesters of each subject into one. So four subjects the first semester and four subjects the second. No mention of electives so I’m not entirely sure of the full plan.

I have been really torn on the whole thing. On one hand feeling they need the structure and interaction, on the other very nervous to send them back. Like m*vida*loca when I really started thinking about it I realized there wouldn’t actually be any socialization. It just sounds like a miserable day and IMO could do more harm than good. We took it to a family vote where I felt we’d be deadlocked two for going back and two for distance but my DH took me by complete surprise by voting for full distance learning.

So that’s what we’re going to do. I’ve ordered two portable desks and two Chromebooks* that come with free Sony over the ears headphones. (Best Buy has student deals right now.) They will only be used for school work. I want them to have a “school” space where they’re not distracted by the rest of the house but can be supervised.

*I hope by doing this it will make more available from the district for kids who don’t have devices at home.

I do understand the worries teachers have during this time. But those worries aren't any different from those of a hundred other professions that have been told "go back to work or you're fired." That's the way of our economy. I don't understand why so many teachers feel like they deserve to be an exception, and I especially don't get the complaints I've read from teachers who are also posting pictures of their new haircut or long-overdue color, their first "girls night out" since before COVID, romantic dinner out with their SOs, etc.
I have a friend like this. Constantly preaching stay at home, wear your masks (which I do) but the second anything has opened up she’s been right on it, including two out of town, overnight visits complete with everyone gathered for maskless selfies at indoor restaurants. All the while complaining about the the non mask compliance in the state she’s visiting. :confused3 She is also a teacher so now we’re getting all the “teachers aren’t babysitters” and “I shouldn’t have to put myself at risk for your kid” posts. I’m a you do you, I’ll do me kind of person and I’m not against people doing what they’re allowed to do but it’s getting really hard not to point out the hypocrisy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter