• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ATC Swap Due! ALL Mailed Back. Thanks!

Michi Belle

"There must be more than this provincial life"
How to Make and Share Artist Trading Cards (ATCs)
ATCs Are Born to Be Shared Not Sold
An ATC is the same size as a standard trading card for baseball, football, & other sports & character themes. ATCs, like their commercial counterparts, fit easily into the plastic sleeves made for collecting cards.

ATCs & Mail Art
An ATC is just that, a trading card…An ATC is not meant to be sold or auctioned. It is meant to be given away or traded. A great & fun way to get into art & inexpensive compared to regular crafting. You can use other Mediums on the paper you use. It’s a great way to show your vision & creativity to others. Anything goes as long the art is original & yours.
The only rule when making an ATC is that is MUST measure 2.5 x 3.5 (pr 3.5 x 2.5 for vertical renderings). It is best to use cardstock, watercolor, or acrylic paper as the base of your card. It is possible to use cardboard or paperboard, but cardboard is not archival & will not last as long as good quality paper. I tend to use a craft glue on a stiffer paper like Bazzil & the glue tends to make the card stalk stiff. I have had good turn outs with that.

You can apply ink, stamping, cut up a card, oil paint, acrylics, watercolor, charcoal, pastels, pencil, or really anything that marks an image. The images can be in color, black & white, or layered colors. Attachments are good as long as the main card itself remains relatively flat.

It is important to put the following on the back of each ATC you make:
Your name
Your username on the website you are trading with
Your email address
The title of the work if it as one
The medium & the date
How many you made etc. #1 of 15
If you have created a series, any number of ATCs in the same theme need to be numbered with the original number etc. 1/5 2/5.
The reason for putting this info on the back is: you may want to contact the artist & see what exactly they used for that card.
Or maybe you like it so much you’d like them to make more for you in the future. You can purchase an ATC stamp for the info on the back of your cards.
There are some people out there that will throw a couple of commercially produced stickers on a card & call it art. For the person who spent an hour creating an original image receiving a card of stickers is very disappointing.
Please use good judgment on the ATCs you are making. Be creative as possible. If this is something you can see your self getting into, you can purchase an ATC carousel from 7 Gypsies. That way you can put the carousel on your desk & enjoy them. It will start to look like a “FAT” book. It’s so much to skim through them. Check out www.twopeasinabucket.com for ideas.
Also when you go to a crafting convention, some people wear a button that says “ I trade ATCs” & they come flocking. You want to make several of each one & keep them in a binder when you are trading. Make sure you keep an original for yourself. You can make them horizontal or vertical if you like.

These tips are from Pam Gaulin & were found on the internet.

I need to see if I can figure out more about the whole posting everything on the computer:scared1:
This will be my 1st time hosting a swap:scared:
I hope everyone can bare with me. Thanks everyone.
I just noticed the thread about what everyone thinks of the requirements for swapping. I only have read the 1st page but it was interesting.
I promise I will NOT make it feel like a school project or have over the top rules.
This is going to be the 1st ATC swap here & I want it to be successful & hope that we can have more of them. Thanks for stopping by!
Michi

Check in Dates:

1st Check in date is Monday March 30 (to make sure groups are good)
2nd Check in date is Monday April 13th (to see how your progress is)
3rd Check in date is Thursday May 7th (for your final progress)-
Due Date is Monday May 18th
Must mail by MOnday May 11th

May 7 check in-

Tinkerbean
Susie Stone
BAMB
M_M
DR
Marlynnp

Mailed In-
YodasMom
Mazda UK
Minnie Garden
rlove

Mailed back to you

Packaging

Atc's are pretty small so you can fit them in a snack or sandwich size ziplock. Then pack them all in a quart size baggie. I don't think it will be neccessary to mail them in a flat rate box. You can most likely put them in a bubble envelope. I would put in a check for return for the same amount that it cost you. Make sure to put in a return address label please.

:

I have listed what ATC's are on the top & what people have done with them. My requirements are going to be pretty easy. Please put them on a harder card stock or make sure they are matted. (Does not need to be double matted). But they DO NOT have to be matted.
If you do matte them ,it still needs to be 2.5x3.5 so make sure you include the matte in that size.
They need to have at least two embellishments, & you only need to make 1 card per group. Having at least two embellies is pretty easy. A lot of people end up putting a lot more. I am not going to restrict stickers, but please use them in good judgment. Atc's are suppose to be about Art, not just things we stick on there to make it easier.

Acceptable Embelishments Need to do only 1 ATC per group, you can do more if you like =)

Rubber Stamping
Stickles
Dry Emboss
Heat Emboss
Clear Tiles (Tilez)
Ribbon
Brads
Eyelets (ribbon does not have to be in the eyelet. Sometimes they look good by themselves)
Clip Art (use good judement please)
Stickers (not a fan unless they are vintage looking, but acceptable. Please use good judgement)
Oil Paints
Acrylic
Ink
Pastels
Charcoal
Pretty much anything goes. That's why I love these so much. That's why it's easy to put more than two embellies.

Here are some simple ATC's I did. That way you can get an idea....
DSC00598.jpg

DSC00598-1.jpg

DSC00599.jpg

DSC00600.jpg

The lovely ladies!

TinkerBean-E,E1,E3,F,G,H,H1,I,I1,J,J2,J1,K1,K2
rlovew-A,J
Mischief_Managed-F Part1,G Part 2
Disney Rider-A,E2,F part1,G2,H,I part 2,I1,K1,K3
Yodasmom-E,E1,J2,E3,J,J1,J2,K3
Marlynnp-E2,E3,H,H1,I1,I2,J1J2,,K,K1,K2
AWM-B,D,E,E1H,,J,K,K3
Michi Belle-A,B,E,F,H1,I2,K1
Mazda UK
-A,D,E3,G2,H1,I1,I2,J2,K2
MinnieGarden-B,D,J2,K1
BAMB--B,D,K3
Susie Stone-E1,F,I1,I2,J1,K

ATC Groups (please post what you will be doing if you already know) thanks![/COLOR]

Group A
Disney Princesses or Girl FULL

1.rlovew-Crown or wand
2.Disney Rider-
3.Michi Belle-Vintage Minnie
4.Mazda Uk
-Snow White

Group B- Disney Boys or Villians (Either One) FULL

1.BAMB
2.Minniegarden
3.Michi Belle-Mad Hatter or Rabbit
4.AWM

Group D-Anything Boy Non Disney FULL

1.BAMB
2.Mazda UK-Dinosaur Boy
3.Minnie Garden
4. AWM-Bug Boy

Group E-Ehtnic Full[/COLOR]

1.Japan-Michi Belle
2.Tinkerbean-
3.France-Yodasmom
4.China-BAMB

Group E1-Ethnic FULL

1.China or Japan(Asia)-YodasMom
2.Tinkerbean
3.India-BAMB
4.Africa-Susie Stone

Group E2-Ethnic Full

1.France-Disney Rider

2.Japan-Marlynnp
3.Norway-BAMB?
4.Polynesia/Tiki-Yodasmom

Group E3-Ethnic FULL

1.France-Marlynnp
2.Tinkerbean
3.Mazda UK
4.Africa-YodasMom

Group F- Holidays Part 1 FULL

1.Christmas-Tinkerbean
2.Thanksgiving-Susie Stone
3.Valentines-Disney Rider
4.New Years-M_M

Group G
-Holidays Part 2 FULL

1.Halloween-Tinkbean
2.St. Patricks-Disney Rider
3.Easter-Mazda UK
4.Independence Day-M_M

Group H Animals FULL

1.Cat-Tinkerbean
2.Bird-Marlynnp
3.Disney Rider
4.Frogs-BAMB

Group H1 Animals

1.Frog-Tinkerbean
2.Marlynnp
3.Lions-Mazda UK
4.Zebra-Michi Belle

Group I Months Part 1 FULL

1.January-Tinkerbean
2.February-Susie Stone
3.March-Michi Belle
4.April-Disney Rider
5.May-Marlynnp
6.June-Mazda UK

Group I Months Part 2 FULL

1.July-Disney Rider/Picnic
2.August-Michi Belle
3.September-Mazda UK
4.October-Marlynnp
5.November-Susie Stone
6.December-Tinkerbean

Group J Anything Goes (you pick your theme) FULL

1.Tinkerbean
2.rlovew
3.YodasMom-Music
4.AWM-TBA-Flowers

Group J1 (Anything Goes you pick your theme) FULL

1.Tinkerbean
2.Marlynnp
3.Ocean-Yodasmom
4.Cupcakes-Susie Stone

Group J2-Anything Goes FULL

1.Minnie Garden
2.Mazda UK
3.Marlynnp
4.Tinkerbean

Group K-Anything Vintage FULL

1.Pin Up Girl-Disney Rider
2.Susie Stone
3.Marlynnp
4.BAMB-1950's

Group K1-Anything Vintage FULL

1.Tinkerbean
2.Michi Belle-Soutern Belle Girl
3.Marlynnp
4.Minniegarden

Group K2-Vintage FULL

1.Mazda Uk
2.Marlynnp
3.Tinkerbean
4.YodasMom-Vintage Travel

Group K3 Vintage FULL

1.Disney Rider
2.AWM
3.BAMB-1910/1920's Fashion
4.Yodasmom-Art Deco

Have you decide how big the groups will be and what "themes" will be in each group?

Have you decide how big the groups will be and what "themes" will be in each group?

Yes, I have all of that done already. I will see if I can post them tonight or tomorrow with everything else. Plus I am going to see if I can post some examples. How do I post a pic on here? :sad2:

The pics have to be stored at a "host" like at photobucket or other places like that. Once you upload them from your computer to the host site, there will be a link you can use to copy and paste in your post here.
It the pictures are already on line somewhere - magazines, blogs, etc. right click on the photo, the bottom will say "properties", click on that. The copy the whole address. Paste that in your post and put
at the end with no spaces in between.

Did that help any? Or was it Greek?

psst-I know what you look like now. I went to your website the other day. :thumbsup2 Is that a nose ring? Didn't it hurt like crazy??? I want to put a sticky rhinestone on the side of my nose. I like the look, just not enough to put up with pain. You're way cuter than Belle. :)

The pics have to be stored at a "host" like at photobucket or other places like that. Once you upload them from your computer to the host site, there will be a link you can use to copy and paste in your post here.
It the pictures are already on line somewhere - magazines, blogs, etc. right click on the photo, the bottom will say "properties", click on that. The copy the whole address. Paste that in your post and put
at the end with no spaces in between.

Did that help any? Or was it Greek?

psst-I know what you look like now. I went to your website the other day. :thumbsup2 Is that a nose ring? Didn't it hurt like crazy??? I want to put a sticky rhinestone on the side of my nose. I like the look, just not enough to put up with pain. You're way cuter than Belle. :)

Awe, you are soooo sweet, thank you soooo very much for the compliment. Yes it is a nose ring. I absolutley love it! I would say DO IT! It's more freaky than anything. I told the guy to not show me the needle, but then when he was ready, he held it to me & said " R U Ready?" So then I was not happy about the size. It's about a foot long. When he pushes it throught the skin, you automatically start to tear becasue the nose is super sensitive. You don't tear because it hurts. It's quickley to heal & I just love it.
It's kinda nice to see what we all look like. I have no idea what anyone looks like except for my friend Kristy. I was going to suggest for everyone who signs up, if they want to include an ATC of a pic of their face on it. What do you think?
Yes, your explanation helped. But if I fall short, can I ask you again :scared:
Thanks a bunch. I hope we get a good turn out for this. I put extra groups in. But if it is too much I can always change the groups. Let me know what you think. I'll take anyadvice I can get. I'm a nervous wreck about it:scared1: haha.

Michi can you point me in the right direction of some examples. I thought I saw some but I can't remember where.

Ok, show me this website and nose piercing. I'm not a big fan myself, I don't even wear earrings anymore. But AWM, I think you would look cute with a nose ring! Not sure how DH would feel about it, but it would look cute!

Michi can you point me in the right direction of some examples. I thought I saw some but I can't remember where.

Ok, show me this website and nose piercing. I'm not a big fan myself, I don't even wear earrings anymore. But AWM, I think you would look cute with a nose ring! Not sure how DH would feel about it, but it would look cute!

Sure, go to www.twopeasinabucket.com & there are TONS of great ATC's to look at there. AWM saw my picture on my website slumberpartiesbymichi.com My pic will be at the very top. I wish I could see what you all look like :banana:

a few questions

are they all going to be vertical

and do we need to make the holes for the spinny thing or do the atc's attach to the cards with the holes

Oh she's so cute!!!! Dang, wish I were that cute!

Awwweee, you guys are so sweet. Thank you. I went & looked at that photo but which one is you Bamb? It looks like all of you had a grreat time!

You don't have to put any holes in them. Because some of us might put them in a plastic sleeve.I have an ATC punch that I can put holes in if I want to. So don't worry about punching it. Just make them the required size & we are all good, :banana:
You can make them horizontal if you wish but I think for our 1st swap we should make them vertical. Did you check the site, there are some cool one's right? I love the vintage look, it's my favorite.
I'm excited about this swap, but I am nervous about people not wanting to do it, & if they do, I hope I am a good host, :scared:

I am the blonde kneeling and Buffy is the Brunette closest to be kneeling too. :thumbsup2

New things do take a while to catch on, but once the first swap shows photos of the complete items, they take off.

I'm sure you will be a good hostess. Answer the questions to the best of your knowledge and keep the communication lines open. The swapping out & photographing can be the best part.

Hint - if you open the boxes as you get them, have an envelope & list to keep track of how much postage each person has sent you. If you take it out as soon as you open the boxes and put it all in one place, it is less likely that it will get lost if you move the boxes/packages around. :thumbsup2

I find it easier to keep each persons thing in the package they sent it in until I am ready to sort it- I will look at it beforehand but tend to leave things until I am ready to sort- much easier to do if you don't have a place to put them. I take a copy of the sign-ups and keep it in word so I can use that- I know many of us make check off lists to help us make sure the right things get into the right packages. (for example mine might say- rlovew: months 1, months 2, animals)

Rebecca

I find it easier to keep each persons thing in the package they sent it in until I am ready to sort it- I will look at it beforehand but tend to leave things until I am ready to sort- much easier to do if you don't have a place to put them. I take a copy of the sign-ups and keep it in word so I can use that- I know many of us make check off lists to help us make sure the right things get into the right packages. (for example mine might say- rlovew: months 1, months 2, animals)

Rebecca

That's a great idea as well. Thank you for that. My office/Ccraft room is a disaster right now. But hopefully I will be able to make a spot for this swap, & make sure it stays away from the little hands in the house.:rolleyes:
Do you guys like thgroups I have put out? Do you have any requests?

Ok so I bought a whole bunch of stuff today and a book. I really really like the look of everything, I just hope I'm talented enough to pull it off.
I'm going to practice this weekend.
Tim Holtz had some really nice stuff at Michael's.

Where do you get the ATC info stamp?

Oriental Trading has one for under $5, but the stamp says

Artist
Trading Card
Title:
By:
Address:
[3 lines]
Date:

Not sure if we can make that work - maybe put the medium in the address lines?

well i just had to go to the website and also check you out!
you are cute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter