Aulani Rent DVC Hotel Room April

tntstults

Mouseketeer
I just submitted my deposit to David’s dvc rental for Aulani for early April 2022. We are hoping for a hotel room. Has anyone been successful in renting a dvc hotel room in April at 11 months out? I know there aren’t many dvc hotel rooms.

That's one of the toughest bookings in the whole DVC system. People walk it, and it's hard to even do that.

I would have tried to get points from a person on the boards who was willing to walk it. It might already be too late.

@DVC Doctor - I don't understand what "walk it' means either. Not sure why you think the question is funny.

Because this question gets asked so often

I am sure it is covered in detail here and a simply google search will produce the answer very easily. Also, this applies to other timeshares, just not Disney.

Because this question gets asked so often

I am sure it is covered in detail here and a simply google search will produce the answer very easily. Also, this applies to other timeshares, just not Disney.

We're Marriott owners and I've never heard the phrase, "walk it". I also did a Google search and that provided no information at all. Sorry to have asked the question.

We're Marriott owners and I've never heard the phrase, "walk it". I also did a Google search and that provided no information at all. Sorry to have asked the question.
Walking is unique to DVC and possibly to other points-based timeshares that allow checking in any day of the week and booking for any number of nights as well as changing those reservations to move them one night at a time. For instance, if I want to stay in a certain villa Dec. 20-27 but am worried that I’ll get shut out by others, on Jan 1 I can book it for Dec. 1-8. The next day I can move that reservation forward one day, dropping one day and adding another, thus reserving that villa for Dec. 2-9. The next day I move it again, to Dec. 3-10, and I move it every day (actually, I could do it every 6 days) until I’ve reserved the actual dates I want. I’ve never seen a way to do that with any of the other TS I’m familiar with that book on a weekly basis (and are limited to certain days of the week to check in).

That's one of the toughest bookings in the whole DVC system. People walk it, and it's hard to even do that.

I would have tried to get points from a person on the boards who was willing to walk it. It might already be too late.
The OP is looking for a stay in April 2022, so at this point I I would say it is not too late.

Walking is unique to DVC and possibly to other points-based timeshares that allow checking in any day of the week and booking for any number of nights as well as changing those reservations to move them one night at a time. For instance, if I want to stay in a certain villa Dec. 20-27 but am worried that I’ll get shut out by others, on Jan 1 I can book it for Dec. 1-8. The next day I can move that reservation forward one day, dropping one day and adding another, thus reserving that villa for Dec. 2-9. The next day I move it again, to Dec. 3-10, and I move it every day (actually, I could do it every 6 days) until I’ve reserved the actual dates I want. I’ve never seen a way to do that with any of the other TS I’m familiar with that book on a weekly basis (and are limited to certain days of the week to check in).

Thank you for the detailed information. Marriott also uses a point system but we've never done this. (I should add that Marriott also has the typical week system but gave the option to have those weeks converted to points several years ago.)

Walking starts months ahead.

An additional issue for OP is that with only 8 units, if one is available it may be just the one on the desired check in date. It is very rare all 8 will be available for one check in date.

Another issue is that OP is using an agency rather than a private party rental. No one renting via an agency is setting an alarm and hovering at 7:59 am for the hard to get booking. The price per point paid is exactly the same for booking something noncompetitive at 10am local time, after a shower and a coffee and clearing the inbox.

Last edited:
The agency has told me that it’s automated to attempt to secure the reservation as soon as the time opens.

How would I find an owner that would walk the points for me without going through a rental agency? Thanks,

Hi, we were successful renting a hotel room for 4 nights in March of 2019 via David's. We rented it about 6 months prior to going. It was a spur of the moment hey maybe we could squeeze in a quick trip to Aulani thing. Now I guess after reading these comments we got pretty lucky!

How would I find an owner that would walk the points for me without going through a rental agency? Thanks,

It is going to be very hard, if not impossible to find someone that will rent points and also "walk" the reservation for you as that requires significant effort on a daily basis.

It is going to be very hard, if not impossible to find someone that will rent points and also "walk" the reservation for you as that requires significant effort on a daily basis.
Especially since they'd have to find a spot to start walking in the next month.

I'd also expect to pay more for something requiring that level of effort, thereby probably wiping out any hoped-for savings in getting the DVC hotel unit. And, to be frank, the 8 DVC hotel units are the least desirable hotel units at Aulani; the trade by which DVC received them didn't get them "better" units. I'd be cranky paying the equivalency of a Standard or Island Gardens Studio rate for the crummy location/views of the hotel units.

(And to be clear: DVC has 8 specific units. It's not that if you book a hotel unit on points they will put you in any hotel unit. They will put you in one of these 8 units.)

I just submitted my deposit to David’s dvc rental for Aulani for early April 2022. We are hoping for a hotel room. Has anyone been successful in renting a dvc hotel room in April at 11 months out? I know there aren’t many dvc hotel rooms.

For 2022 Aulani

April 1-7 - hotel rooms are 18 points per night and the cheapest studio is 22 points (+4 points per night)

April 8-23 - hotel rooms are 21 points per night and the cheapest studio is 24 points (+3 points per night)

April 24-28 - hotel rooms are 17 points per night and the cheapest studio is 19 points (+2 points per night)

Thus, on average a standard studio will only be 3 points more than a hotel room and renting at $17pp that is only $51 per night more, so I would simply ask for hotel room if available and then a standard studio next and NOT worry about walking a reservation.

Walking is primarily done by owners for themselves and I have never heard of any rental doing this as it is so much more effort without any extra compensation.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter