Bathroom Design - update 12/7/20 Post #84 & 87

Things I'm glad I did or wish I had done:

• Recessed medicine cabinet
  • measured medicine cabinet opening to clear sink fixture ( I had to do a last minute return and buy something in stock) because door wouldn't clear the tall fixture
  • installed electrical outlet under sink for rechargeable stuff
  • Replaced standard shower stall with custom shower with niche for stuff, I gained about 10 inches of space, however I had to get a custom shower door that was 3x the price of a standard shower door. (probably still would've done it, but I was shocked at the price difference)
  • installed bidet seat (life changing)
  • Wished I thought of headed floor :(

You would have to define "small". He has a lot of materials to pay for upfront. It's not unreasonable for him to need a decent deposit to cover his costs for them. When we had our bathroom done, we picked out our tiles/sink/flooring/etc., and he actually purchased them, because he could get a contractor's discount, and knew how to measure for how much material he would need. While the OP might be fine purchasing her own vanity or toilet, I doubt she has the knowledge and experience to know how much tile or flooring to purchase, let alone what she would need (cement? grout? Those little spacers for the tile? caulking?). So, a deposit that's, say, 33% of the overall cost would not be unreasonable, IMHO. But, you're right about not paying the entire balance upfront.
When our house was being built, we would pay for materials as ordered, and then a set percentage of the labor/subcontractor costs at intervals set out in advance. The contractor always had what he needed when he needed it, and the final payment wasn’t made until the job was completed. I would never pay the full amount up front, but would always be willing to pay for materials as they are needed, with copies of all receipts, of course.

How do you decide on things like toilets? Tubs? They look all the same. How is one better than the other?

We had specific toilets in mind, so that decision was easy. We have the pressure assisted toilets they used at Disney when they first started installing them. Dad got literature from Disney with all the specs, and the contractor was able to get them. We also had specific tub needs. The primary bathroom is the only one with a tub, and it’s a corner soaking tub the size of a Jacuzzi tub, but not a jetted tub. There is a separate tiled shower in that bathroom, and the other full bath just has a double size shower with a built in seat, and no tub.

Once you know how you intend to use it, or what requirements you have (like low water usage or low profile toilet) the decision becomes much easier.

Once you know how you intend to use it,

That's the thing. I intend to use the toilet as a toilet and the tub as a tub. I don’t want or need anything fancy. Though I have tinkered with the idea of a bidet. Silly question is it cold water shooting at your bum or is is warmed somehow?

That's the thing. I intend to use the toilet as a toilet and the tub as a tub. I don’t want or need anything fancy. Though I have tinkered with the idea of a bidet. Silly question is it cold water shooting at your bum or is is warmed somehow?

Well what I meant was, for example, do you want a deep soaking tub to relieve arthritis pain, or a whirlpool bath for the massage, or are you a quick in and clean? Do you have room for an extra long tub so your legs can lie straight when you sit, or do you need an extra short tub for space reasons? We wanted the soaking tub and actually redesigned the bathroom layout so it would fit. We had to make all the decisions before we shopped for fixtures, so we didn’t even look at items that didn’t work with our needs. Once the decisions were made, there weren’t many options to choose from when we actually shopped to meet those needs. I think the only options we had that fit our needs was a tub with a seat molded into the side or one without, and we went with the seat. When faced with a lot of similar choices, I look at the materials and generally buy something in the midrange of prices made of low maintenance materials.

We picked the pressure assist toilets because we sometimes have inconsistent water pressure in the area and, how can I put this . . . , some people produced a lot of product. There were also restrictions on how much water per flush the toilet could use. So we needed a toilet that was low water use but able to handle the volume. At the time, there were very few pressure assist toilets available, but we figured if Disney liked this type in their high use hotel environment then it would work for us. On the plus side, we don’t notice the toilet flushing in the Disney resorts because it sounds like home. With toilets, I would ask about flush efficiency and water use per flush. It’s no good getting a low water use toilet if you have to flush it multiple times to get the job done.

As far as a bidet, I have seen them with powered temperature control, as well as with a mixing valve like a faucet. So I don’t think you would have to freeze your bum off just to get it clean. :) I am guessing the power temperature control is more expensive, but probably heats the water faster. You should Google some of the interesting units they sell in Japan. . .

There are different types, get the electric model with water heater and remote, you will need an outlet near the toilet.

And you want a sink to use as a sink, a couch to use as a couch... My home is 100 years old, our downstairs bathroom has a big pedestal sink with brushed nickel crossed faucet handles, which works well with the toilet.

Attachments

• C7007D65-CFED-4DA0-834B-12AC23309757.png
    C7007D65-CFED-4DA0-834B-12AC23309757.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 8
Though I have tinkered with the idea of a bidet. Silly question is it cold water shooting at your bum or is is warmed somehow?
Since you're having the entire bathroom redone, definitely get the one with heated water. You will need an outlet next to the toilet for it to be plugged in. They have different wash settings, heated seat, multiple water temperatures, blow dryer, etc. This is a perfect time because they seem to have them on sale online through stores like Costco before the holidays. Definitely worth the cost in my opinion.

Another thing I would recommend is a shower like the one below. It seems like an extravagance, but they're only around $250 which is not much more than what you will pay for a regular style shower head/faucet. We have a very basic, small bathroom but adding this shower and the bidet have made it a space that is both enjoyable and functional.
shower.jpg

Tile - Is the $6 tile really better quality than the $3 tile?

Tubs - Which is better acrylic or porcelain?

We redid our small master bath several years ago. We put in a comfort height toilet and pulled the tub and replaced it with a walk in shower. We love both!

We do not take baths so it’s perfect for us. We do have another bathroom with a tub in case we ever had a guest who wanted a bath.

We redid our small master bath several years ago. We put in a comfort height toilet and pulled the tub and replaced it with a walk in shower. We love both.

I haven't taken a bath since we moved in to this house. I would take it out and put in a walk in shower in a heart beat if it weren't the only bathroom in the house.

I usually get ideas from hotel bathrooms. Have you been in one that you’d like to have in your home?

I haven't taken a bath since we moved in to this house. I would take it out and put in a walk in shower in a heart beat if it weren't the only bathroom in the house.

Yes, it would have been a tougher decision had it been the only bathroom since resell potential would have come into play.

Honestly though, I might have still done it. The tub in the other bathroom hasn’t been used in years, and we were remodeling the house to fit the way we wanted to live.

We have a bathtub sized shower in the master bath, and a tub/shower combo in the front bathroom. Nothing in the powder room
About the only time we use the bathtub is when we pull a muscle and need to soak. It is a God send in that case. We had a portable hot tub for 25 years, took it to the dump 10 years ago, so that soaking option is gone. Our kids are grown and out of the house but I guess we may used the tub with our Granddaughter.

Yes, it would have been a tougher decision had it been the only bathroom since resell potential would have come into play.

Honestly though, I might have still done it. The tub in the other bathroom hasn’t been used in years, and we were remodeling the house to fit the way we wanted to live.
It really kills your sell price, I know several realtors and they say you need a tub to sell a house, or else you will turn away most buyers.

The best thing we did when we redid our bathroom was move the shower up, that meant knocking out a bulkhead they had put in .

My son is tall and said the standard hit his shoulder. . That was one of the reasons we redid the kids bathroom...lol

It really kills your sell price, I know several realtors and they say you need a tub to sell a house, or else you will turn away most buyers.
Yet on a multitude of HGTV shows they take tubs out because they say tubs turn off buyers. I think every house should have more than one bathroom, and one bathroom should have a tub.

Yet on a multitude of HGTV shows they take tubs out because they say tubs turn off buyers. I think every house should have more than one bathroom, and one bathroom should have a tub.
Yes but how many of those homes have one bathroom? We don’t use our tub at all but I don’t plan on living in this house forever. When we bought it there was only one bathroom, but added a half bath.

Yes but how many of those homes have one bathroom? We don’t use our tub at all but I don’t plan on living in this house forever. When we bought it there was only one bathroom, but added a half bath.
I can't think of too many with just one bathroom on those shows. I know my wife and I are always surprised on Love It or List It when David takes folks on a tour of a new house and they go (usually the woman) "I don't want a bathtub". One house had a bathtub and a spa and the lady was TOTALLY grossed out.

So I got the cost estimate from the contractor today and it is a bit more than I expected. Total cost estimate is about $20,000, of that $5,000 appears to be the subfloor. Is this inline with what it should be?

It is times like this I wish I had a partner. Sometimes I fear that contractors will see a single female and take advantage.

So I got the cost estimate from the contractor today and it is a bit more than I expected. Total cost estimate is about $20,000, of that $5,000 appears to be the subfloor. Is this inline with what it should be?

It is times like this I wish I had a partner. Sometimes I fear that contractors will see a single female and take advantage.
I think I paid about $15,000 15 years ago. Get 2 more estimates, but don’t base your decision on just price, and if 1 comes down much lower, be suspicious and make sure you compare apples to apples. COL makes a difference too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter