Bathroom Design - update 12/7/20 Post #84 & 87

I paid $12,000 for my hall bathroom that is similar to but larger than yours. I did *not* have the subfloor taken up. Where you live also factors into price so it might be hard for us all here to give you a yes or no. I live in a relatively expensive suburb outside of a city so we don't get the best prices here.

I had a bathroom redone similar to yours about 7 years ago (the layout is the same but the room is a big larger). It was about $12K to remove and replace everything. I also live in a relatively HCOL area. We did not have to replace the subfloor.

After nearly 2 months they are finally starting on my bathroom today. And in an ironic twist of fate, I am home from work due to unexpected plumbing issues (flooding) where I work.

We've already run into issue #1 - asbestos in the ceiling. They were to put a ceiling fan in but now may not be able to due to asbestos in the ceiling insulation. He is looking at alternatives but I am not hopeful. Old House. Old Plumbing. Old Electric. Old Old.

After nearly 2 months they are finally starting on my bathroom today. And in an ironic twist of fate, I am home from work due to unexpected plumbing issues (flooding) where I work.

We've already run into issue #1 - asbestos in the ceiling. They were to put a ceiling fan in but now may not be able to due to asbestos in the ceiling insulation. He is looking at alternatives but I am not hopeful. Old House. Old Plumbing. Old Electric. Old Old.

View attachment 542587
Expensive in time and money, but if you can get the asbestos out, particularly where there is a fan, I'd do it.

Expensive in time and money, but if you can get the asbestos out, particularly where there is a fan, I'd do it.
I simply don't have the money to do asbestos mitigation. I barely have enough to pay for the bathroom remodel/fix to begin with. So if they can't figure out a way to do with without going through the ceiling/roof, I will have to be okay with not having one. I've gone this long, what's another 50 years.

The floor is in much worse condition than expected. It won't affect much, as the bathroom was being gutted anyway. But it does make me wonder if previous dry rot issues, that were to be repaired before I moved in, were actually done.

I just sent in photo's to the insurance, in hopes that they will cover some of the expense. **fingers crossed**

They might not have known either, I think you only have to disclose what you know.
Maybe. We don't technically know for sure, but are assuming it is based on age of the house (built in 1953) and the look of it. We could have sent a sample out for testing but that would have delayed them starting and since there is a very slim chance that it isn't, it just wasn't worth the expense.

Many good suggestions here. The only thing I will add is to use mildew resistant primer and paint for walls and ceiling, unless you are tiling all the way up. This helps especially to keep the shower area clean. Good luck OP.

I don't remember being told anything about asbestos when I bought the house 11 years ago. I am sure different states have different requirements.
The owner may very well have not known about it, but your home inspection should have caught it. However, after watching too many episode of "Holmes Makes it Right" a lot of home inspectors aren't very good

The owner may very well have not known about it, but your home inspection should have caught it. However, after watching too many episode of "Holmes Makes it Right" a lot of home inspectors aren't very good
I have the report he gave me somewhere. I should pull it out and see if it says anything about the insulation.

If it was in the ceiling how would the home inspector know? They don't open up walls.

If it was in the ceiling how would the home inspector know? They don't open up walls.
He looked in the attic as part of his inspection. I found the report and he only mentioned that it was blown in insulation and it "passed." Without testing he would not know for sure if it contain asbestos.

See post 84, it was in the insulation above the ceiling, not in the ceiling and inspectors are supposed to go into the attic and look for things like that and roof leaks. At least they do on all the home inspection shows.

My inspector poked his head up in the attic for a quick look, but didn't go up. It's not a space you can get around in easily (not the type of attic you could store things in or be able to finish). He did point out the probable asbestos tiles in the basement, but those aren't a problem since it couldn't become airborne.

My inspector poked his head up in the attic for a quick look, but didn't go up. It's not a space you can get around in easily (not the type of attic you could store things in or be able to finish). He did point out the probable asbestos tiles in the basement, but those aren't a problem since it couldn't become airborne.
My parents home had a similar attic, the buyers inspector found it, and we had to pay for the removal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter