Boorish behavior

There is certain behaviors that I try to avoid. I see it at WDW in the parks all the time. It sounds like it's spilling over into DCL, which means it will be time to move along some day. I find it sad that the entitled people can get away with this stuff. And no amount of explaining will get through to them. Frankly I bet if you posted photos online to shame them it still wouldn't have an effect. :sad2: I didn't see it on our cruise, but I saw a bit of this attitude at Heathrow and cringed thinking that the take away from those involved would be "those awful entitled Americans." Courtesy and manners are gone, and so it the understanding that it's not all about oneself. Frankly, from what I've read and heard on the podcast about Aulani, the same behavior is an issue there, too. It's not something I've generally seen in Hawaii (once in over 15 trips) even though many of our trips are during xmas or spring break when it's crowded.

I’m new to cruising, and DH and I got off our first earlier this month. Overall our experience was great! I don’t recall any particular behaviors I would single out as boorish except for the general observation that many families (different families) let their toddler children treat the ship as if it were their private play pen or daycare center. The parents would be in line waiting for a character meet while the toddler wandered around the entire atrium, or into someone else’s photo opportunity and a cast member had to keep bringing the child back to the parents in line. I even saw one situation where a lady in a scooter could have run over a toddler because they were wandering around her cart while the parents didn’t care. It didn’t happen, but as a scooter user myself I was very disturbed for this sense that the parents feel like they are paying to not have to take normal care of their children :sad2:

Did you notice if anyone actually even used those chairs all day?

I found 1 chair available on Castaway Cay on our last trip. One. Out in the sun beside the fence to the cabanas. There were plenty of chairs without people in them, but all were 'claimed'. Furthermore, they didn't just have the loungers, but many had those low beach chairs pulled right up to their lounger and had stuff on those, too. We went just before lunch, so we weren't early, but I had hoped there would be more selection than that.

I find that very hard to believe. Even with the Dream or Fantasy at full capacity, there are plenty of loungers on Castaway Cay between the 2 family beaches for everyone. We have never had any issues finding one. They might not be in the shade, but there are plenty of them. We have been on 8 Disney cruises and there were not even people occupying the loungers next to us. everyone just kind of took every other pair to spread out.

I’m new to cruising, and DH and I got off our first earlier this month. Overall our experience was great! I don’t recall any particular behaviors I would single out as boorish except for the general observation that many families (different families) let their toddler children treat the ship as if it were their private play pen or daycare center. The parents would be in line waiting for a character meet while the toddler wandered around the entire atrium, or into someone else’s photo opportunity and a cast member had to keep bringing the child back to the parents in line. I even saw one situation where a lady in a scooter could have run over a toddler because they were wandering around her cart while the parents didn’t care. It didn’t happen, but as a scooter user myself I was very disturbed for this sense that the parents feel like they are paying to not have to take normal care of their children :sad2:

I call those "free range" kids. LOL They are just left to roam at will. I seriously want to get into those parents' heads to see what in the heck they are thinking. I mean, you would think that the parents would actually love their kids and want to keep them safe. Not to mention the whole my kid is bothering someone aspect that should be common sense.

I find that very hard to believe. Even with the Dream or Fantasy at full capacity, there are plenty of loungers on Castaway Cay between the 2 family beaches for everyone. We have never had any issues finding one. They might not be in the shade, but there are plenty of them. We have been on 8 Disney cruises and there were not even people occupying the loungers next to us. everyone just kind of took every other pair to spread out.
That had been my expectation. I was shocked that they all had something on them... all the way from the stingrays up to the cabanas, except one chair in the sun (I didn't care at that point). I even asked a few people who were beside some claimed, but unused chairs and they said, yes, they were taken.

This was on Magic last week. 7 am. Net is still over the pool. The weather wasn't even that great and there were plenty of seats available all day.

That one has a built in easy solution, remove towels as part of opening the pool. Obviously someone just left them there the night before. Need to keep the ship tidy for the guests.

Did you notice if anyone actually even used those chairs all day?

I found 1 chair available on Castaway Cay on our last trip. One. Out in the sun beside the fence to the cabanas. There were plenty of chairs without people in them, but all were 'claimed'. Furthermore, they didn't just have the loungers, but many had those low beach chairs pulled right up to their lounger and had stuff on those, too. We went just before lunch, so we weren't early, but I had hoped there would be more selection than that.

Just FYI, we always get off as soon as they announce customers can disembark so I can tell you that those beach chairs are positioned by Disney at the end of the loungers when everything is set up and empty at the start of the day. So it is not the case that people are grabbing beach chairs and taking more than they need; they just come with the loungers. That said, I actually do use our chairs even if they are not always occupied. I will often sit alone with our loungers while the kids are in the water on on Pelican plunge, but when they come back, we do use all of the loungers and chairs in our little umbrella area because my husband and I stretch out on the two loungers and the kids sit in the chairs bundled in their towels to get dry and warm.

I'll believe you that by lunchtime the chairs were all full; that is definitely peak time because everyone who arrived first thing is still there and everyone who started later has arrived. I'd suggest if you are going to arrive that late in the day to do so after lunch. Lunch on CC is not anything special, so you can eat on the ship, and there will be people who have cleared out by then in the early afternoon (that is what we always do around 1/2pm to enjoy the empty pools and aquaduck).

Having sailed on seven cruises (six with Disney and one with Royal), I was lucky enough to only encounter strange behavior once, and unsurprisingly it was on Royal.

My husband and I ended up in one of the lounges for an adult-only comedy show, and some older man, probably in his sixties, proceeded to eye rape me (sorry, a less descriptive term doesn't come to mind) the entire show. He chose to sit just behind and to the left of both of us, and spent the majority of the time staring at me with quite a disgusting look on his face, despite his wife being right beside him, and it got to the point my husband about turned around and started an altercation himself. Thankfully as soon as the show was over, we left and I never had to see him again. I seriously have no idea what his issue was as everyone (including myself) was normally dressed, and an ugly look is a strange way to admire someone if it was look-induced.

Either way, I agree with many other posters that say that haven't seen too many instances of boorish, rude, or inappropriate behavior. You would think people would be more inclined to relax on their vacation and leave the hostility at the dock.

See, this bothers me on Disney -- we have had so many instances where once the parents are onboard, they treat the ship as their personal babysitter! I can tell you that when we were raising our daughter, we were obsessed about her not getting into anyone else's space or being rude. My husband has mobility and stability issues, so kids running around with the chance to bump into him and knock him over is not okay nor relaxing.

My husband has mobility and stability issues, so kids running around with the chance to bump into him and knock him over is not okay nor relaxing.

Exactly and that is what happened when my husband was pushed by the two kids in the theater causing him to fall. He was "younger" but has always had stability issues. Vacation or not, parents really need to step up and continue parenting.

Vacation or not, parents really need to step up and continue parenting.

I would have thought this would be common sense and courtesy, but sadly I hear parents saying it's their vacation too and they should get to enjoy it, with no consideration of anyone else who might not enjoy their kids screaming, kicking, or running around without supervision. :(

See, this bothers me on Disney -- we have had so many instances where once the parents are onboard, they treat the ship as their personal babysitter! I can tell you that when we were raising our daughter, we were obsessed about her not getting into anyone else's space or being rude. My husband has mobility and stability issues, so kids running around with the chance to bump into him and knock him over is not okay nor relaxing.

And then there are the ones who technically are parenting, but they are so insistent that their little one does EVERYTHING independently they cause hazardous conditions. Trust me, I teach special education, and we are all about independence - but there is a time and a place. And stairs on a cruise ship are not it.

An off-shoot of that is the "But we don't want to break her/his spirit..." school of thought where the little one is allowed to do whatever whenever. Saw this at a pharmacy today where rather than deal with a moment or two of child screaming because she got told no, a little one of no more than 3 was being allowed by mom to bounce a little ball all over the place, which created a double hazard of the ball and then the kid running after it. Again, there is a time and a place. And unless the "No!" is actually in a life-threatening situation, being told "No" AND having it enforced will NOT kill your child.

Last edited:
Mmm... next time I'll get off earlier for sure. I just didn't realize it was a requirement.
Yeah. We head off the ship immediately and get the seats we like. Early bird definitely gets the worm on cruise activities like this. No excuse for folks who claim seats and never come back, but we claim them as long as we are using for. We might all jump in the water or grab a meal, but never gone more than a few minutes or out of sight. We abandon them totally if we are doing an excursion or back to the ship for someone else to have.

Having sailed on seven cruises (six with Disney and one with Royal), I was lucky enough to only encounter strange behavior once, and unsurprisingly it was on Royal.

My husband and I ended up in one of the lounges for an adult-only comedy show, and some older man, probably in his sixties, proceeded to eye rape me (sorry, a less descriptive term doesn't come to mind) the entire show. He chose to sit just behind and to the left of both of us, and spent the majority of the time staring at me with quite a disgusting look on his face, despite his wife being right beside him, and it got to the point my husband about turned around and started an altercation himself. Thankfully as soon as the show was over, we left and I never had to see him again. I seriously have no idea what his issue was as everyone (including myself) was normally dressed, and an ugly look is a strange way to admire someone if it was look-induced.

Either way, I agree with many other posters that say that haven't seen too many instances of boorish, rude, or inappropriate behavior. You would think people would be more inclined to relax on their vacation and leave the hostility at the dock.

You say: "unsurprisingly it was on Royal"

Why "unsurprisingly"?

That is insane! I doubt half of those chairs will actually be used other then the kids running up and throwing their stuff on them.

Do the CMs not clear out the towels after certain time? Where are the people? They can’t all be in the pool

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter