Both parks, or just Disney Sea?

WAstateDVCDaddy

DIS Veteran
We have two long planned trips coming up. Paris in December, and a cruise around Japan the following July.

We’ve already booked 3 nights at DLP - we’ll be there over New Years, so avoiding the exorbitant Paris hotel pricing.

For the trip to Japan, we’ll have 5-6 days in Tokyo/Yokohame before (or maybe after) the cruise. My wife and I have been there many times, but really looking forward to letting our DD7 experience all of the fun for the first time.

So the big question is : Do we plan for an overnight stay at the parks, or just do a day trip at Disney Sea? Are we (me) going to feel like we missed out by not doing Tokyo Disneyland, or is it close enough to the Orlando/Anaheim/Paris experiences that we won’t miss much?

When we booked the cruise, I didn’t even think about school holidays, which start the week before we arrive in Tokyo, so I’m sure the parks will be packed. There’s more than enough to do even if we don’t go to the parks at all, but I really want to go to TDS, so that’s a must do. My DD has already said “skip it” when asked about going to the parks if we don’t have enough time.

Is TDR different enough to be a must do, or am I just experiencing FOMO?

Your family will have to decide on what you consider "different enough" and whether you want to do the park or whatever else is on your itinerary.

I consider the following unique at TDL:
Rides: Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast, Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Monsters Inc
Shows/attractions: Harmony in Color Parade, Mickey's Magical Musical World, Club Mouse Beat, Electrical Parade Dreamlights, Tiki Room with Stitch, summer seasonal show
Miscellaneous: Goofy's Playhouse, Minnie's Style Studio, Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall

I consider the following substantially different from other parks:
Rides: Jungle Cruise, Happy Ride with Baymax (similar to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree), It's a Small World
Shows: Jamboree Mickey (DisneySea version is better)

In terms of staying at the parks vs. a day trip, it also depends on what you're looking for in hotels. TDR area hotels have larger rooms that are great for families while hotel rooms in central Tokyo tend to be expensive and small so it may even make sense to stay near TDR if most of things you want to see are in Eastern Tokyo. If your cruise drops off in Yokohama rather than Tokyo, it could make sense to stay there and take the direct bus to the parks from Yokohama station. Those buses also have storage for suitcases so a hotel swap from say, the Sheraton Yokohama Bay to the Disneyland hotel or Miracosta is actually very easy.

Your family will have to decide on what you consider "different enough" and whether you want to do the park or whatever else is on your itinerary.

I consider the following unique at TDL:
Rides: Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast, Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Monsters Inc
Shows/attractions: Harmony in Color Parade, Mickey's Magical Musical World, Club Mouse Beat, Electrical Parade Dreamlights, Tiki Room with Stitch, summer seasonal show
Miscellaneous: Goofy's Playhouse, Minnie's Style Studio, Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall

I consider the following substantially different from other parks:
Rides: Jungle Cruise, Happy Ride with Baymax (similar to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree), It's a Small World
Shows: Jamboree Mickey (DisneySea version is better)

In terms of staying at the parks vs. a day trip, it also depends on what you're looking for in hotels. TDR area hotels have larger rooms that are great for families while hotel rooms in central Tokyo tend to be expensive and small so it may even make sense to stay near TDR if most of things you want to see are in Eastern Tokyo. If your cruise drops off in Yokohama rather than Tokyo, it could make sense to stay there and take the direct bus to the parks from Yokohama station. Those buses also have storage for suitcases so a hotel swap from say, the Sheraton Yokohama Bay to the Disneyland hotel or Miracosta is actually very easy.
Thanks - I was afraid of that list! If only we could stay an extra 3-4 days. Unfortunately the cruise is 9 days, and vacation days are always in short supply. Sounds like we may have to do an overnight.

I’ve always found the room rates in Tokyo to be pretty reasonable - especially with the current exchange rates. Guess I’ll have to start doing research on the hotels near the parks.

You could always compromise and get a night pass for Disneyland. Spend the day doing Tokyo stuff, have a lil nap at your hotel to re-energize and then do the evening at the park.

If the main goal is to see things that aren't in other Disney parks, there are some downsides to this. You'll basically be forced into long lines for Beauty and the Beast, Baymax and Monsters Inc. You will also have missed the daytime parades and will likely only be able to see Mickey's Magical Music World and the Electrical Parade.

There's also the issue of actually buying a Weeknight Passport ticket since those are only sold on the TDR website which likes to reject foreign credit cards.

You could always compromise and get a night pass for Disneyland. Spend the day doing Tokyo stuff, have a lil nap at your hotel to re-energize and then do the evening at the park.
There's only 2 ways you can get the pass and if the one doesn't work, you have to physically use a machine to get it.
Even then as others have said, you'd be in a huge disadvantage and basically couldn't ride much at all. The machine is only in Japanese and is confusing because it has corresponding letters that determine the price of the ticket.

OP, TDL has the better attractions imo but Sea has better themeing and Fantasy Springs. You also might be going when Japanese summer break begins for schools. It's really what you want to do most, but TDS and TDL just can't be done in one day.

There's only 2 ways you can get the pass and if the one doesn't work, you have to physically use a machine to get it.
Even then as others have said, you'd be in a huge disadvantage and basically couldn't ride much at all. The machine is only in Japanese and is confusing because it has corresponding letters that determine the price of the ticket.

OP, TDL has the better attractions imo but Sea has better themeing and Fantasy Springs. You also might be going when Japanese summer break begins for schools. It's really what you want to do most, but TDS and TDL just can't be done in one day.
If OP is staying onsite or at a good neighbor hotel you can easily buy night passes there, this is what I have done in the past. With the new land opening I realize past experiences might not be relevant, but for what it's worth, on our past trips I've been able to do pooh's and monsters in the last hour. Going during the week you could accomplish a few other rides and get some unique snacks as well. It would not be a total waste at all.

If OP is staying onsite or at a good neighbor hotel you can easily buy night passes there, this is what I have done in the past. With the new land opening I realize past experiences might not be relevant, but for what it's worth, on our past trips I've been able to do pooh's and monsters in the last hour. Going during the week you could accomplish a few other rides and get some unique snacks as well. It would not be a total waste at all.
You are guaranteed entry if staying onsite and can purchase stickers when you checkin. It’s only guaranteed through the onsite hotels. The partner hotels either don’t offer it or require it to be requested very early.

You are guaranteed entry if staying onsite and can purchase stickers when you checkin. It’s only guaranteed through the onsite hotels. The partner hotels either don’t offer it or require it to be requested very early.
I have been able to purchase weekday night passes from 3 different good neighbor hotels day of in the past including last June. Yes it is a gamble as it is not guaranteed. But after just looking on the website there are still some tickets available for even today. Right now is one of the busiest times of year as kids have just finished the school year and are on vacation until their new year starts in April.

I have been able to purchase weekday night passes from 3 different good neighbor hotels day of in the past including last June. Yes it is a gamble as it is not guaranteed. But after just looking on the website there are still some tickets available for even today. Right now is one of the busiest times of year as kids have just finished the school year and are on vacation until their new year starts in April.
The partner hotel changes are from late last year and this year. It’s possible but not always guaranteed. Also, with Fantasy Springs opening in June, crowds will be significant.

The partner hotel changes are from late last year and this year. It’s possible but not always guaranteed. Also, with Fantasy Springs opening in June, crowds will be sisignificant.
Thanks for sharing, never knew there was changes. With these new changes are the partner hotels along the monorail (Hilton, sheraton etc) not able to sell tickets including the night passes? Or are you just saying that guaranteed entry isn't offered?

Thanks for sharing, never knew there was changes. With these new changes are the partner hotels along the monorail (Hilton, sheraton etc) not able to sell tickets including the night passes? Or are you just saying that guaranteed entry isn't offered?
They all differ. You have to talk with them individually. I am staying onsite, so this is from others who contacted them. Hilton seems if and possibly no now. Sheraton you have to put in a request early, maybe when you book, and they can’t guarantee the tickets. Seems easier to buy them yourself at that point to ensure you have them. Their websites are not necessarily up-to-date either.

They all differ. You have to talk with them individually. I am staying onsite, so this is from others who contacted them. Hilton seems if and possibly no now. Sheraton you have to put in a request early, maybe when you book, and they can’t guarantee the tickets. Seems easier to buy them yourself at that point to ensure you have them. Their websites are not necessarily up-to-date either.
This is disappointing. I have never bought tickets ahead of time because my credit card has never worked. We usually just show up, and buy our tickets when we check in.

Which good neighbor hotels have you bought weekday night passes from post-pandemic? I thought the Hilton Odaiba also required booking a special plan to be able to purchase tickets and were only offering full day tickets so I just assumed the other good neighbor hotels required the same.

Which good neighbor hotels have you bought weekday night passes from post-pandemic? I thought the Hilton Odaiba also required booking a special plan to be able to purchase tickets and were only offering full day tickets so I just assumed the other good neighbor hotels required the same.
Sorry, I think I have confused everyone by calling the hotels along the monorail as "good neighbour" but infact they are called "official hotels of the disney resort". Pre pandemic I have bought passes from Hitlon tokyo bay and sheraton tokyo bay. Post covid I stayed at tokyo bay maihama in June 2023 and bought passes.

Sorry, I think I have confused everyone by calling the hotels along the monorail as "good neighbour" but infact they are called "official hotels of the disney resort". Pre pandemic I have bought passes from Hitlon tokyo bay and sheraton tokyo bay. Post covid I stayed at tokyo bay maihama in June 2023 and bought passes.

That's interesting. I thought the Tokyo Bay Maihama required booking a special stay plan to be able to purchase tickets. Since the 2022 reopening, the details section under most bookings explicitly states "you cannot purchase tickets with a guarantee of admission". Did it look like all hotel guests were actually able to buy tickets despite that language on the website or did you happen to book one of the special stay plans?

Also, did they issue you paper tickets with the Disney character designs? I used to buy tickets from the Sheraton, Disney Stores or Ticket Center to collect the designs but now, I can't be bothered to make an appointment to buy tickets at the Disney Store.

That's interesting. I thought the Tokyo Bay Maihama required booking a special stay plan to be able to purchase tickets. Since the 2022 reopening, the details section under most bookings explicitly states "you cannot purchase tickets with a guarantee of admission". Did it look like all hotel guests were actually able to buy tickets despite that language on the website or did you happen to book one of the special stay plans?

Also, did they issue you paper tickets with the Disney character designs? I used to buy tickets from the Sheraton, Disney Stores or Ticket Center to collect the designs but now, I can't be bothered to make an appointment to buy tickets at the Disney Store.
I did not buy any plans/packages, I didn't even book through their hotel. I booked a room only on hotels.com and then when we checked in we purchased tickets. Yes we were given the paper tickets with the Disney designs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter