Boycotting Florida but not WDW, a moral conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it was
I can't tell if that's sarcasm, but I can tell you the conference absolutely was booked prior to the start of the feud. The date and location were advertised on our website years ago (well before COVID).

Last edited:
Not going to Disney, because of the political climate in Florida is more about a feel-good statement, than actually accomplishing anything.

If anything, you are going to help the people you are trying to hurt and HURT the people you are trying to help.

If you want to accomplish something right to the lawmakers.... The ones that don't support your views and try to convince them to rethink the matter.

But all a Boycott will do is give those lawmakers a leg up on Disney, If anything.......

Well that and make more room in the parks for the rest of us...

I’m responding in the affirmative.
Although, your lack of self assurance make me question that position.
It's not a lack of self assurance, it's that typed words on a message board are very hard to interpret without any tone/body language, etc. In my experience (which yes, I admit I projected on to you), people who write short statements like that are typically being sarcastic. In this case I was wrong.

It's not a lack of self assurance, it's that typed words on a message board are very hard to interpret without any tone/body language, etc. In my experience (which yes, I admit I projected on to you), people who write short statements like that are typically being sarcastic. In this case I was wrong.
Normally I would just say okay. "OK"

But since that might be misunderstood since it is short.

I will point out the irony of a company potentially changing plans based, on complaints from their staff, about a destination that is currently in a losing battle with a state, based on actions taken based on a complaint from their staff....

I will also reiterate that in this case, any boycott would not affect the state, or the governor that won reelection by more than 20 points. However, it would affect the company the boycott is trying to support, and the locals more.... Again Ironic.

It's a real conundrum once we start down the boycott trail.
As far as the issue in question, FLs treatment of transgender folk we have a lot more to look at.
While many companies have very inclusive policies ( Amazon&Apple for example) the sourcing of parts and labor in countries with medieval attitudes towards trans issues makes it difficult.
How about anything made or transported with Saudi oil?
How do boycotts effect the trans CMs and locals?
I'd love for it to be simple to pick the corporate good guys but largely they only give support where it's economically feasible or apparent.
Disney itself has likely billions of dollars in material and labor in countries that have harsh penalties for any thing not cis and straight.
Not to mention child labor, genocides and other forms of human rights abuse.
Hard choices.

It's a real conundrum once we start down the boycott trail.
As far as the issue in question, FLs treatment of transgender folk we have a lot more to look at.
While many companies have very inclusive policies ( Amazon&Apple for example) the sourcing of parts and labor in countries with medieval attitudes towards trans issues makes it difficult.
How about anything made or transported with Saudi oil?
How do boycotts effect the trans CMs and locals?
I'd love for it to be simple to pick the corporate good guys but largely they only give support where it's economically feasible or apparent.
Disney itself has likely billions of dollars in material and labor in countries that have harsh penalties for any thing not cis and straight.
Not to mention child labor, genocides and other forms of human rights abuse.
Hard choices.
Thats a wonderful point, how many Disney toys, sold in the parks, are made by child labor ?

Wow, when was the last time you visited the west coast? There will always be seedy places somewhere on the planet as long as humans exist. Stay away from the unsafe areas and you'll have a marvelous time.
I think he means that he doesn't like how the west coast states vote so he'll boycott them while telling others it's wrong to boycott the states who vote in a way he likes.

I think he means that he doesn't like how the west coast states vote so he'll boycott them while telling others it's wrong to boycott the states who vote in a way he likes.
No it means I don’t like having my stuff stolen…..

lot closer to home….

and I have never said not to boycott just pointing out all the working people it will hurt….

since all the working people left the west coast for florida anyway…. Who’s left to hurt

No it means I don’t like having my stuff stolen…..

lot closer to home….

and I have never said not to boycott just pointing out all the working people it will hurt….

since all the working people left the west coast for florida anyway…. Who’s left to hurt
Yikes! First you called the state of California a seedy, unsafe place. Now you're insinuating that everyone in the entire western seaboard is unemployed, because all the good olde hard-working folks have moved to Florida?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 x ♾

Yikes! First you called the state of California a seedy, unsafe place. Now you're insinuating that everyone in the entire western seaboard is unemployed, because all the good olde hard-working folks have moved to Florida?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 x ♾
that would be my perception yes
except I think some stopped in texas …

For most DVC Members we have little choice, really. There are not enough non-Florida resorts to use our points, and we still pay property taxes to whatever they call Reedy Creek these days, so WDW is our destination. We simply stay in the DIsney bubble...Well, other than the airport.

All the family and friends I had in California (I grew up there but left 40 years ago) have passed away, so unless I can get a DVC Room at Disneyland, California is pretty much out.

Last edited:
Wow. Just wow.

I think I'll listen to the actual locals and not assume I know better what they can or cannot afford without tourism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter