Brazil - the next likely pavilion

Oh I know, it's just that I figured they could put an Outback in the pavilion and make a bunch of money with it. There's the equivalent of a Panda express in the China pavilion, I was just going with that idea. And I'll admit when I thought of Australia, I did think of AK (Kangaroos, Koalas, etc.) Would be nice addition to AK.

Actually it was more wombats, kookaburra, echidna, platypus etc more so than the famous fauna that I would love to see. If I was the Imagineer I'd try to work with Indigenous Australians to bring their story-telling, Dreamtime and art/history to life. I think it would make an amazing area that would be something novel and new, while fitting in perfectly with Animal Kingdom's overall theme. But this would be something done without IP and no matter the level of involvement of Aboriginal Australians it could still be controversial.

Do people still think that's the case and Animal Kingdom struggles with its Identity ?

I would have said Epcot and Easily Hollywood Studios suffer far worse with an identity crisis.

I haven't been to Pandora yet but with what's been added to AK in the last year, I feel that all they really need to do now is bulldoze Dinoland and do something in that area. I feel there's enough rides and shows to make it a full day park

It really doesn't matter what people think...

From an operational standpoint, both mgm and DAK have suffered from an inconsistent approach since day one...Epcot has been allowed to end up at the same point after 20 years of complacency...

The assumed to be correct statistics on attendance are 20, 12, 11, 10..more or less...

From an operational standpoint...the 12 and 11 are and have been problems for a longtime because they are the most overhead intensive parks and they can't get them to budge...that will continue to be an internal headache/problem until they do.

Especially if parks become the profit driver...which they will within about 3-4 years at this rate with the decline of the US cable market.

Just curious... would the "new" country have to sponsor the new pavilion still? I'm just thinking about the fact that Brazil has had some economic struggles lately... or does this sometimes get sponsored by other groups representing the country.

Just curious... would the "new" country have to sponsor the new pavilion still? I'm just thinking about the fact that Brazil has had some economic struggles lately... or does this sometimes get sponsored by other groups representing the country.
The pavilions are mostly sponsored by organizations promoting trade and travel with the host country, such as a national chamber of commerce, but nothing says a pavilion has to have a sponsor.

Few of the countries actually ever had direct sponsorship involvement in the pavilions...it was actually companies based in those countries.

Morocco is the only country left that has any state funds invested...if the story is true

Since DAK...still...struggles to find its audience/identity...there would be no reason to undercut it by putting things that more naturally fit in there in Epcot.

Remember: AK was considered a risk for many reasons by the disney board when it was built...I'm fairly certain one of those reasons is the potential confusion regarding the scenario we are talking about here...

If they are gonna build countries - which honestly is perhaps the most far fetched idea that gets repeatedly around here - it makes no sense to put Brazil and austrailia in there with animal kingdom down the road. Other countries have fewer animals to use.
I don't think it has an identity crisis at all. The honest truth is animals and that kinda thing are sort of a niche market. Some people just don't like "zoos" and they won't go to that park no matter what you deal with it.

Which is a shame because it's one of the most beautifully themed parks and has a lot to offer as is. But not enough for the sprinting from ride to ride like no tomorrow crowd

I don't think it has an identity crisis at all. The honest truth is animals and that kinda thing are sort of a niche market. Some people just don't like "zoos" and they won't go to that park no matter what you deal with it.

Which is a shame because it's one of the most beautifully themed parks and has a lot to offer as is. But not enough for the sprinting from ride to ride like no tomorrow crowd

You are 100% correct...and that was. Problem with a zoo in the first place..

There's a reason why zoos are paid for by cities: they are a financial loss and only the public can really support them.

But at wdw...they need it to be well
Attended and turn a profit for the overloads...that was, is, and always will be a problem.

That's why i call it an identity crisis.

You are 100% correct...and that was. Problem with a zoo in the first place..

There's a reason why zoos are paid for by cities: they are a financial loss and only the public can really support them.

But at wdw...they need it to be well
Attended and turn a profit for the overloads...that was, is, and always will be a problem.

That's why i call it an identity crisis.
I gotcha. But see AK can still be complementary to what's there. I feel if they invested in another land (Australia as I've said before for example) and put in some more rides and whatnot it would make it more worthwhile to the ride crowd.

It's also so much about where you're from too. I have crap zoos near me, so AK really blows my mind (and it's probably in the top half of 'zoos' in the country anyways) but I can see if you're from say the D.C. area why it wouldn't be as much of a draw

Brazil is the most obvious choice. Brazil also offers one of the most ironic sponsorship opportunities. Anheuser-Busch InBev. Just let that wash over you there. So many layers of irony. Walt would be doing Produnova's in his grave over that one.

Cambodia...But then there's that unpleasantness of genocide to contend with, so unlikely.
Come on, really? They built a Germany pavilion and I don't know many people were upset because of the Nazis. Were the Tibetans complaining about the China pavilion? What about the Chinese in regards to the Japanese pavilion, or for that matter, the Koreans? Britain owned huge chunks of the world and left them in various states of disarray yet I don't think people are thinking of that when they stroll past a recreated Hampden Court. The reasons they wouldn't do a Cambodia pavilion have more to do with the fact that most Americans couldn't point out Cambodia on a map and I'm not sure amok would go over too well.

I gotcha. But see AK can still be complementary to what's there. I feel if they invested in another land (Australia as I've said before for example) and put in some more rides and whatnot it would make it more worthwhile to the ride crowd.

It's also so much about where you're from too. I have crap zoos near me, so AK really blows my mind (and it's probably in the top half of 'zoos' in the country anyways) but I can see if you're from say the D.C. area why it wouldn't be as much of a draw

AK can't be a "complimentary piece" though from that perspective. It can't be boardwalk, pleasure island or the west side.

Remember: AK was the last, largest piece of the "third phase" development of wdw...it was not low investment like mgm...it was built to rival or even eclipse not only Epcot...but perhaps the magic kingdom.

In an ideal world...both Epcot and DAK are within a couple of million of attendance of MK...and while Epcot gains people over the course of the day/evening...dak loses them. The numbers are actually worse than we think.

Come on, really? They built a Germany pavilion and I don't know many people were upset because of the Nazis. Were the Tibetans complaining about the China pavilion? What about the Chinese in regards to the Japanese pavilion, or for that matter, the Koreans? Britain owned huge chunks of the world and left them in various states of disarray yet I don't think people are thinking of that when they stroll past a recreated Hampden Court. The reasons they wouldn't do a Cambodia pavilion have more to do with the fact that most Americans couldn't point out Cambodia on a map and I'm not sure amok would go over too well.

Not to get political...but the ONLY country hands clean from persecution in their history is Canada...

...I'm taking a class on the history of Arrendale...so I'll get back to you on that.

And Cambodia is a no...Thailand would be the only possibility on that peninsula...and Malaysia and Indonesia would make a heck of a lot more sense as well.

And Cambodia is a no...Thailand would be the only possibility on that peninsula...and Malaysia and Indonesia would make a heck of a lot more sense as well.

I think it depends on what you mean by "make a heck of a lot more sense". I'd say Thailand at least has a presence in many people's mind, but probably not the other 2 (and Indonesia isn't on the peninsula so much as the archipelago off the coast). The whole Angkor complex offers more building possibilities, (I'd personally go for Thom over the others as I think the faces could be done well) as far as I'm concerned. Malaysia is a great blend but what outside of the Petronas Towers would you put there (now, since the mall there is great, I suppose it'd fit well with the WS). Not done Thailand personally so can't comment as to the possibilities outside of food. I think you'd have some dumbed down food, especially with the spice level...and the whole peanut thing with all the allergies here in the US I also think would cause issues.

I meant you would cater to a country that presents an upside. I believe the fact that Indonesia is the largest Muslim country on earth...and would be the first South-Eastern Asia country to be put in there...represents the most upside.

Just a theory

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter