Cases rising or dropping by you?

Not near me so kinda off topic, but I see a news alert saying Israel has just implemented another hard lockdown for "3 weeks"

Not near me so kinda off topic, but I see a news alert saying Israel has just implemented another hard lockdown for "3 weeks"
I just saw that. Sounds like April all over again. Praying we won’t see this again.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map
My neck of the woods up here in the north is doing great (the big white patch in New England) but I see a lot of red down south and quite a bright quilt of color in Texas? So I'm not sure what data you are looking at?
Overall numbers have been down consistently for the past few weeks. They are not where they should be yet but they have been lower. I give credit to the mask mandate.

I don’t know about my particular county anymore. They’ve reported our Rt went from 1.21 three weeks ago to .8 last week, so hopefully we start seeing some movement in the right direction. But right now we’re still on (and will be for awhile) Purple on CA’s new tiered list. Our deaths have increased, although rare remains steady I think. Unfortunately almost 90% of them have come from long term care facilities.

The state overall is doing great and a percent positive under 4% on both 7 & 14 day averages. Hospitalizations and deaths are also down.

Obviously I’d like to be further ahead, but I’ll take movement in the right direction for now!

People were complaining before that the low skills people working minimum wage jobs were getting a windfall with that extra $600 a week. What happened to that windfall, or was that not true? A friend's son got that $600 on top of the $375 of his regular unemployment, and banked quite a nice amount. So now I'm confused. Unemployment gives you about half of your usual income, so that $600 would only be less than a full paycheck if you made more than $1200 a week, or about $62K a year. I know it wasn't for a full year, but it was more than some people made weekly. But I do get that it is not simple. People have to work in order to fuel the big capitalistic society we've created. That's how it's done here. I feel like we could do this differently, but politics are not allowed to be discussed. Sometimes I feel like a sacrificial lamb to the altar of capitalism though. I know I can quit if I don't like it, but I've always loved my job. Just hoping not to die because of it.

Unemplyment insurance is different for each state. Florida’s max is $275 a week. The $600 a week in federal money ended in July. $275 a week is not enough to support a family.

My job is probably higher risk than yours. I have two choices. A) quit my job B) take precautions and show up.

I still stand by my cure is worse than the disease comment.

When we sheltered in place, I had a substantial increase in domestic violence arrests. People were stuck in homes with abusive paramours. Now tell me, did sheltering make them any safer?

We have lower income families unable to have their children remote learn because they don’t have the means. We risk having a greater divide between the haves and the have nots.

To tie this to Disney, furloughed CMs now have a food pantry so they can feed their families.

This is a complex issue and I don’t have the answer. What I don’t appreciate is your comment that because I don’t agree with the way things were handled that I want people to die.

Next spike will be when university kids return home for the holidays. Some are already returning due to the kids failure to social distance and wear masks

Florida's seven day average appears to be 2566 at the moment. Depending on what NY pegs Florida's population at, it should some off the list around 2147 cases per day as a 7 day rolling average.

If the colleges test aggressively, it will be months and months and months and months before Florida drops off the NY list. If the colleges close one eye, turn their head, and squint, Florida might be off the list in a month or so at this pace.

Thank you so much for the explanation 😀👍

And I stand behind mine. Depending on your source,the numbers can skew differently. I do agree,the 0-9 age range looks to be in LESS mortal danger than other groups. That said, the statement "there is no danger to children unless an underlying condition" is false. I think back to that group of children who developed sever neurolgical symptoms and went thru h**l to survive,and to this day ,NO ONE KNOWS WHY. There has been no clear explanation offered.
So sending kids back to school,IMHO is a crapshoot at this point. Nothing,or something terrible may be the result of this decision. Who wants to be the one whose kid (thru no fault of their own) decides which outcome it is?
If we knew more about the why's and how's of this virus,it would be less chancy.I wouldn't risk my kid if I had a choice.

But tracing has not show a large outbreak according to the interviews and articles I’ve read.

Maybe I’ve missed it, but I haven’t seem anyone report on the boards becoming ill from Disney after the reopening?
#1- there is no contact tracing when people visit Disney or Uni,and then go home. It's all voluntary.
#2- you won't see many reports here on the boards,or anywhere of people becoming ill after a trip to Disney. Those that do, tend to keep that info to themselves.

#1- there is no contact tracing when people visit Disney or Uni,and then go home. It's all voluntary.
#2- you won't see many reports here on the boards,or anywhere of people becoming ill after a trip to Disney. Those that do, tend to keep that info to themselves.
Also remember several people on here have said they lie about where they are going on vacation. There was a whole long thread about it a while ago where people admitted to lying rather than admit they were going to a covid hotspot.

Next spike will be when university kids return home for the holidays. Some are already returning due to the kids failure to social distance and wear masks
That might be baked into the numbers to a certain extent. Many Universities are sending positive kids (within X miles) home to quarantine already.

That might be baked into the numbers to a certain extent. Many Universities are sending positive kids (within X miles) home to quarantine already.

It’s going to vary geographically. For example, MSU is putting kids in a 14 day quarantine.

I really think this is a terrible year to send kids to university. We should be through most of this by the next school year.

Also remember several people on here have said they lie about where they are going on vacation. There was a whole long thread about it a while ago where people admitted to lying rather than admit they were going to a covid hotspot.

The thread was about people feeling shamed for going on any vacation, so they just didn't tell people on social media. They didn't "lie".

When we sheltered in place, I had a substantial increase in domestic violence arrests. People were stuck in homes with abusive paramours. Now tell me, did sheltering make them any safer?

We have lower income families unable to have their children remote learn because they don’t have the means. We risk having a greater divide between the haves and the have nots.
These are two little-understood issues within this broader topic.

I know you didn't mean to say that YOU got arrested, LOL, but domestic violence is definitely up significantly in the last six months, as are domestically-related homicides.

And both the domestic violence issue and the lack of remote learning resources are much more prevalent among lower income people. Lower income groups are getting hit harder by Covid, harder by domestic violence, and their children are suffering more from remote learning.

And even those students who have the necessary resources may be suffering, according to some studies. This is from CNBC just this morning:

https://grow.acorns.com/coronavirus...archterm=loss of lifetime income due to covid

The thread was about people feeling shamed for going on any vacation, so they just didn't tell people on social media. They didn't "lie".
I thought that was the thread the poster was talking about which is why I asked them which one they were talking about so I could make sure I was remembering correctly. That thread was NOT about lying.

I thought that was the thread the poster was talking about which is why I asked them which one they were talking about so I could make sure I was remembering correctly. That thread was NOT about lying.
I’ve seen posts that have said that they don’t tell their employers where they are going when they take vacation. Not necessarily that they lie about where they have been. But on the other hand I could totally see people doing just that.

Weird. I had two trips this year. One to LA in Feb. And one to GNP in Aug. No friend shaming. It helps that I went to GNP with a lot of friends.

What I’m trying to figure out is how to sign up for the study, where you turn off Facebook for 6 weeks before the election, and they pay you to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter