Cass, Rob & Kira - Christmas on the Wonder 2021 - The ups & downs of travelling during covid!

Now after reading this so we’ll written TR it’s official
dxl it will be either May or sept
i knew I was missing it but reading your experience onboard seing the yummy food ..the way you felt safe onboard now I have no choice lolll
thanks for making us dream with this TR ::MinnieMo:stitch2::earsgirl:

295eeab2-87ba-4ae7-b68b-342d145c9db5-jpeg.642134

And she’ll be so excited to get “all the guys”642137

December 23rd, Part 3

290.jpg

And then grabbed this shot.

I checked out the next day's activities on the app while Rob enjoyed some more reading on the verandah.

I sure missed having the paper Navigators :sad:

Great photo! They all are though

But no more paper navigators? 😭
So sad. I loved saving those.

December 27th, Part 1

Sadly, disembarkation day came. It was so unfair of them to be kicking us off this glorious ship! :sad:

I could feel the ship rumbling so I popped out onto the verandah and saw that we were in the turning basin and had just started to turn the ship around so we could back into the terminal.

513.jpg

Rob heard me go out so he joined me to watch us sail in.

514.jpg

This was a cool ship!

515.jpg

516.jpg

I wonder what it was transporting, it had a massive loading platform attached.

517.jpg

518.jpg

And back to Terminal 2, just like that! pixiedust:

519.jpg

Kira and I don't eat this early but Rob wanted one last sit-down breakfast so he went to the dining room all alone, not something he does often! Guess he really wanted that cream of wheat. :rotfl2:

520.jpg

521.jpg

522.jpg

Always sucks when you have to leave. :sad1:

We had been waiting to hear our character called so we could get off the ship. We were in no hurry but we were all packed, ready to go, nothing left to do so we left as soon as we heard them call it.
Jen and Claire were headed the same place as us but they would be taking a Lyft over and I figured we would just see them when we all got there so I didn't text Jen. I didn't want to knock on their door because I didn't know if Claire would be sleeping so we just left.

523.jpg

There's our room host, the best photo I got...woops! She was great!

524.jpg

We thought this was the line to get off the ship but it was the line to get into the dining room! :scared:

525.jpg

No lines to get off, yay!

526.jpg

It was around this time when Jen texted me and asked me where I was. I told her we were just out of customs and heading to the car. She hadn't heard our character called so didn't think we had left yet LOL! Woooops! Guess I should have texted her when we left but my brain was just focused on getting off the ship apparently. :p

527.jpg

From customs to car, it was about 90 seconds LOL!

528.jpg

I had stopped to take some pics and video and by the time I got moving again, Rob was already at the car hahaha! :rotfl:

529.jpg

The Express lot was the best thing ever and we will always do this in the future! :worship:

Here's a photo of the entrance, looking back as we left. Goodbye Wonder, not sure when we will see you again. :wave2:

530.jpg

The best thing about Galveston, for me, is the treeeeeeeees! :love:

531.jpg

It was weird heading towards the northern end of the island, we have always stayed down in the San Luis Resort area.

532.jpg

This time, we would be staying at the Galvez Hotel, which was recently renamed the Grand Galvez by the new owners. They were remodeling it, getting it back to the way it used to be in its glory days.

We knew about the construction but we decided to stay here anyway because it was supposedly haunted and that is Kira's thing. She is very much into the paranormal and ghosts and stuff and well, I'm a believer in that sort of thing too. She was VERY excited about this!

533.jpg

535.jpg

The only bad thing about this hotel is that they only offer two basic rooms, a king bed with a cot that you can pay extra for or two double beds. Rob and I sleep in a king bed at home so sleeping in a double just doesn't work for us so we went the King bed route. I did not know, however, just how tiny these rooms were! They were definitely made for 2! :crazy2:

537.jpg

538.jpg

539.jpg

536.jpg

Loved the door sign! :lmao:

540.jpg

541.jpg

542.jpg

Also loved the little fridge because it came with a little freezer and it kept my water nice and frosty!

543.jpg

The carpet, which matched the carts, were a little creepy, in fact the whole hotel was a little creepy. Very Stephen King/The Shining vibes all throughout, which Kira and I both loved! :goodvibes

The thing about her interest in the paranormal is that she is afraid of everything and won't watch scary movies but she did know about The Shining and The Stanley hotel, the inspiration for the Overlook hotel, because she watches YouTube videos. I, on the other hand, have watched just about every horror movie and tv series there is. I remember watching The Exorcist and Salem's Lot with my dad when I was 8 or 9. After becoming a parent back in 2006, I remember questioning his decision of letting me watch them :rolleyes2 Kira would probably 💩 her pants and be traumatized for life if she watched just about any horror movie. :rotfl:

544.jpg

I was super glad that our room was ready when we got there because we were able to unpack a little, get settled in before Jen and Claire arrived at the hotel. Their room wasn't ready yet so they joined us for a bit.

And no, this was not planned....:rotfl2:

545.jpg

Yay, you're baaaaaack! Those matching shirts are hilarious AND awesome!! Great minds think alike!!!

Sorry the cruise is officially over, but I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your adventure!

My guess is just one serving😉. With lots of milk!

Hahaahah, many servings...no milk :rotfl2:

Loved following along with your report. Glad Kira enjoyed the Vibe and made lots of friends. My kids still keep in touch with friends from Vibe. Pool time looked fabulous. We’ve never done trivia but it’s definitely on the list now.

That's awesome that your kids still keep in touch with their cruise friends! :love: I think Kira is still chatting with her friend too. :goodvibes

Trivia is definitely fun, even when you lose. ::yes::

Now after reading this so we’ll written TR it’s official
dxl it will be either May or sept
i knew I was missing it but reading your experience onboard seing the yummy food ..the way you felt safe onboard now I have no choice lolll
thanks for making us dream with this TR ::MinnieMo:stitch2::earsgirl:

Awww, that's great news!!! Hopefully sooner than later. :cool1:

295eeab2-87ba-4ae7-b68b-342d145c9db5-jpeg.642134

And she’ll be so excited to get “all the guys”
I'm so happy she loved all the guys! :lovestruc

Great reading!
Loving the food pics!

Thanks! It's making me hungry though, every time I post them :rolleyes:

Great photo! They all are though

But no more paper navigators? 😭
So sad. I loved saving those.

I know, right? I really missed them too! I hope they eventually come back but I doubt it. :sad:

Yay, you're baaaaaack! Those matching shirts are hilarious AND awesome!! Great minds think alike!!!

Sorry the cruise is officially over, but I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your adventure!

Actually, we recently found out that both our favourite movie is BTTF and she gave this to me on the cruise as a xmas present and she had also bought herself one but we didn't plan to wear it, I was running out of clean clothes and just threw this one on. :rotfl:

Yup, another one in the books but there may be another one on the horizon. :rolleyes1

Those shirts rock!!!!!

Thanks! I agree :teeth: It's even better because someone special gave it to me. :upsidedow

Awww.....the last morning is always so difficult. I usually have one child who just grunts through breakfast while the other silently sobs into her napkin (no joke). It's rough man!

The Shining is the first thing I thought of when you posted those photos :rotfl2: And the matching shirts by accident....you two are totally on the same wave length ;-)

Someone on our cruise was doing 7 B2B's until the last cruise from Galveston. :scared1::scared1::scared1: I wonder if you still feel like they are kicking you off after that many. :laughing: Looking forward to hearing about your stay at the Galvez as we've talked about going down for a weekend but it's kinda pricey!

December 27th, Part 2

We were all getting hungry by now and we already knew where we had wanted to go. During our last trip, we had breakfast at Miller's Seawall Grill and it was so good I wanted to lick the plate. 🤤

One of the many reasons I decided to book the Grand Galvez was the proximity to Miller's, it's basically across the street! Jen and Claire said they would join us so off we went.

546.jpg

It's definitely weird that the sidewalks are at the same level as the road. :eek:

547.jpg

There it is, one street over!

548.jpg

When we checked in at the Galvez that morning, the lady told us that Miller's had been closed for a week and she wasn't sure it was even open again. It had just opened that morning, just a few hours ago and it was already busy! We checked in, got our buzzer and then waited outside. I never noticed that there was a shark on the top. :rotfl2:

549.jpg

It was about 35 minutes before our buzzer went off and then we were seated in a booth for four, with Kira on the end. We ordered and then about 10 minutes later, our server came back and told us that they had run out of ham. Ummm, you literally just opened, how can you run out of ham already? I was fine with substituting bacon but Kira ordered a ham and cheese omelet so she had to change her order completely. With little time and some pressure to decide on a new meal, she settled for waffles. Unfortunately, these were super sweet! It was like eating a very sweet dessert and she couldn't really eat it. Rob couldn't eat his either. Even Claire, who has a sweet tooth, thought these were way too sweet and sickly. Mine was okay, the hash browns, which were the best part of my meal last time, were over cooked and crunchy.

550.jpg

551.jpg

552.jpg

Well, that was disappointing. Oh well. Back to the Galvez. Kira headed to the room while Rob and I went exploring as we hadn't really seen much of the hotel yet. A few minutes later, Kira texted us saying that her key didn't work, so Rob went and to help her.

553.jpg

The bar, which was empty now but would be filled to the brim with people for the rest of the day soon.

554.jpg

Doesn't it look a little creepy? This was on the way to the pool.

555.jpg

556.jpg

Very '30's or '40's kind of vibe here!

557.jpg

The other end of the pool, looking back.

558.jpg

The weird hot tub. I've never seen something in the middle of a hot tub like this. It was weird and it was just in the way, as we later found out.

559.jpg

This was when I got Rob's text saying his card didn't work either, so up I went. Loved this sign LOL! We were on the second floor and the elevators were really slow so it was just easier to take these stairs.

561.jpg

My key didn't work either so down to the lobby we went. Apparently, all the keys reset at 11:00 am. This would have been handy to know earlier so we could have just stopped at the lobby check-in on the way back :rolleyes2

562.jpg

Jen had texted me that her room was ready and was much larger than ours! She got the other option, two double beds.

563.jpg

564.jpg

If we ever stay here again, we will be booking this room, Rob and I would sleep in our own bed and then we would get the cot for Kira.

Jen had brought us some antigen tests so we could have some peace of mind or prepare for an extended stay. :rolleyes: They were all negative, so that was good. We still needed to take a PCR test the following day to get back to Canada but at least it was a good indicator of us not having covid.

565.jpg

We had to call and get the cot for Kira. There was only one place for it, at the bottom of our bed. The only problem was that it took up almost all of the floor space and it made it much harder for us to get around.

566.jpg

567.jpg

Once Jen was settled in, she texted us to see if we wanted to go see her room. Kira and I headed up immediately because we wanted to see room 501, which was, according to reports, the most haunted part of the hotel. 👻

It was just around the corner from Jen & Claire's room. :p

As we were taking pics, we heard people inside. I wonder if they knew they were staying in a haunted room? :rotfl:

569.jpg

This was the view from that window right beside the room.

570.jpg

Rob came up finally and we quickly got a selfie with the haunted room number and then headed for Jen & Claire's room.

571.jpg

We could see the Wonder docked at Terminal 2.

572.jpg

Here's a photo of the somewhat creepy and very slow elevator.

573.jpg

I had downloaded the Grand Galvez app before I left home. It had two audio self-tours, one of which was a ghost tour so I asked J & C if they wanted to join us.

The tour brought you to different locations around the hotel and told you stories about certain areas or portraits. It was a little cheesy but very interesting and I'm glad we did it! Rob doesn't believe in any of that kind of stuff, he's more....practical, but it was a cool way to kill an hour and explore the hotel more.

574.jpg

This is a popular place for weddings...

576.jpg

578.jpg

Inside the Music Hall...

579.jpg

They all left and I was all alone in this room so I could take a photo of these creepy heads above all the doors. I tell ya, it was a lot creepier being all alone in that huge empty room! :teeth:

580.jpg

The tour then took us outside of the Music Hall and to the outside of the haunted room 501, which is all the way up and left in this photo, and told us the history of this room.

581.jpg

582.jpg

Back to the last room where we listened to the end of it. There was one room that was locked and couldn't get into but I managed to sneak a photo through the glass and I could just barely see a portrait that they were talking about in this audio tour.

583.jpg

584.jpg

And that concludes our first ghost tour of the day. ;)👻

Awww.....the last morning is always so difficult. I usually have one child who just grunts through breakfast while the other silently sobs into her napkin (no joke). It's rough man!

The Shining is the first thing I thought of when you posted those photos :rotfl2: And the matching shirts by accident....you two are totally on the same wave length ;-)

Oh no! I don't blame her though, I am sobbing on the inside. :sad::sad::sad:

The whole hotel had The Shining vibes to it, while it looks beautiful, you can definitely feel the age and history of it as you walk through it. :rolleyes1

Someone on our cruise was doing 7 B2B's until the last cruise from Galveston. :scared1::scared1::scared1: I wonder if you still feel like they are kicking you off after that many. :laughing: Looking forward to hearing about your stay at the Galvez as we've talked about going down for a weekend but it's kinda pricey!

SEVEN back to backs???? :eek:

Who are these people and how can I get them to adopt me? :rotfl2:

I would probably still feel a little sad getting off the ship but I would be very happy to be going home after 7 cruises! ::yes::

The Galvez was way cheaper than The San Luis and Hilton, where we usually stay but I will say it was cheaper booking it through Expedia than on their website, which apparently guarantees the best rates. :scratchin

It had good and bad things about it, definitely worth a try. ;)

I'm sorry the breakfast ended up being so disappointing :( The pool area looks gorgeous, loving the nostalgic vibe. Now, are you certain there actually were people staying in 501? 🤔🤣🤣🤣

I bet that room was unlocked later in the day . I hope you checked. :rolleyes1

Last edited:
December 27th, Part 3

After the ghost tour, J & C went back to their room to chill and Kira went back to our room to do the same. Rob and I explored the rest of the hotel on our own.

586.jpg

This is inside one of the rooms down that locked corridor. We saw it open the next day but never actually went in.

587.jpg

588.jpg

The main lobby, the elevators and stairs are behind that center seating area. The rear entrance is also seen here, this was, up until somewhat recently, used as the main entrance, I believe, as the main one was covered or blocked or something.

589.jpg

We headed out the back entrance, this is where the parking area was. You can see our room on the second floor, left side behind that furthest palm tree.

590.jpg

Coming back in, we noticed there were stairs going down, so down we went and discovered the Hall of History, as well as the gym and special meeting space to plan weddings.

591.jpg

592.jpg

594.jpg

595.jpg

596.jpg
597.jpg

598.jpg

Back to the room, we saw the Wonder sailing out.

599.jpg

Despite the mediocre breakfast, we wanted to head back to Miller's so we could enjoy that amazing brownie that we had last time. J & C stayed in and ordered pizza.

600.jpg

As we were waiting for our table to be ready, we spotted the Wonder out at sea.

601.jpg

We ended up at the same table as our first visit in 2019.

602.jpg

The food was decent, nothing special.

603.jpg

604.jpg

605.jpg

But that brownie!!! :love:

We actually cut it in half before digging in and got a to-go container, put that half in and delivered it to J & C after we were done. I will say, the ice cream and the chocolate sauce really makes it better but they agreed, it was a very delicious brownie. ::yes::

606.jpg

Back to the hotel, all the lights were on 🤩

607.jpg

We all had pre-booked a Historical Haunted Ghost Tour so we drove over to the Sealy Pavilion to meet up 15 minutes before the tour, as instructed.

608.jpg

We noticed there were a LOT of people gathering around, waiting. We had assumed that this was the spot for several tours to meet up but it turned out that everyone that was waiting was on our tour. 😱

I did a quick count and there were about 50 people in total. I was not super thrilled with this at all. This definitely had a huge impact on the tour. There are several companies that offer these kinds of tours in Galveston, it's a pretty haunted place with a long, unique, sordid past but I chose this tour, in particular because I've seen tons of photos and read tons of reviews and it seems more intimate and it went to one particular house that Kira and I were very interested in seeing.

So we waited and waited for our Ghost Tour Host, which, according to their website, was Johnny Zombie. It was now the time of the start of the tour, 15 minutes after they told us to show up and no one was there. Finally this lady with blue hair, jogs in from the parking lot saying, sorry she was late, she got distracted and lost track of time.

Oh how nice. :rolleyes2

So, one person per party had to check in with her and then we all waited until that was done and we were all instructed to stand on the pavilion while she started talking about the history of Galveston.

She kept looking up, way above our heads, as she spoke, clearly trying to remember the script. While she would have been loud enough for a group half the size (which should have been the max cutoff) she could not project loud enough for 50 people to hear.

609.jpg

Once she was done with her history spiel, we all followed her to our first stop, Ashton Villa.

610.jpg

Once we were all crowded in together, she told us about the history of this place, built in 1859 by James M. Brown for his wife, Rebecca Ashton. It was the first mansion to be built on the island and one of the few to survive the 1900 hurricane that devastated Galveston. It is a historical building now that is rented out for private events. Once our guide was done with her speech, we were welcomed and urged to explore the grounds and take photos. She made a big deal at the beginning about how taking photos, especially flash photos, would be the best way to spot ghosts. Kira and I were eager to find some ghosts, Jen & Claire were a little petrified at the thought of it and Rob was just rolling his eyes. :lmao:

611.jpg

612.jpg

613.jpg

614.jpg

615.jpg

Kira took the following photo (I took several of the same window, and they looked nothing like hers, as did Jen) and you can clearly see something in the window. Kira is convinced it's a ghost and Rob is convinced it's just a reflection. You be the judge. ;)

699.jpg

I took many photos, several of this side of the building. In all of the photos, you can clearly make out the lace curtains....

616.jpg

But in this one, almost the exact same angle of the previous one, I spotted something in the top right window that has lace curtains.

617.jpg

Can you see it? I see two faces, the first one is that of a woman, about the same age as Rebecca when she died (65 yrs) and then another face, set in behind hers, standing behind her to her left, not as clear, of a man.

618.jpg

I have circled where I see the faces. Rob doesn't agree with me, he says I see it because I want to see it. :rotfl:

Well, I don't see it in my other photos, only this one. :scratchin

620.jpg

621.jpg

What do you guys think? Do you see it? Is this a bunch of hogwash? :rotfl2:

I say if you see it, then there is something to see ;-)

Yikes, 50 people in the tour seems like a lot. When we did a trip to Victoria at the end of last June we did a walking ghost tour one night and there were a max of 10 or 12 in our group, it was the perfect size. And the host was fantastic!! Next time you are in Victoria definitely do one of their ghost tours :love:

Is it me or does the outside of that mansion looked like the Haunted Mansion? :magnify:

I can see something in Kira's window picture and maybe something in yours but I don't see if in the magnified one just the first one.
We did a Ghost Tour once in Watertown NY and we did see something weird at one of our stops. We saw a light on in one of the buildings that wasn't on when we first arrived and nobody was in the building as it is closed at night. The Ghost Hunters who ran the tour said it was abnormal so may have been a ghost.

Such a pity that Miller's wasn't as good as it was before. All the Texas beach areas have been swamped with tourists since Covid, as people can get there without flying, but the restaurants have really struggled with staffing - at a time they could have been making so much money. :sad2: Thanks for all the pics of the Galvez, it's a really cool hotel and we will have to give it a try one of these days. The Tremont House is a pretty cool old building as well that the Mitchell's renovated and turned into a hotel. :thumbsup2 So the ghost tour sounds like it's a bit of a flop - especially your "ghost host" - how disappointing. I see stuff in the photos, but I'm in the same camp as Rob. :laughing:

What an awesome tour to go on! Seems like a lot of fun!
Nothing worse than looking so forward to a meal and it ends up being just meh. :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter