Cast members on DCL cruises

xiphoid76

DIS Veteran
Anyone else notice the trend of an increasing number of cast members on DCL cruises? I don’t remember many in the past but lately when we have been doing back to back cruises it seems like there are around 100 or so cast members doing the same. I understand they need to fill the ships and the price is right for the CMs.
I wouldn’t be bothered too much but it does take a little magic out of the sailing for us. Maybe we have just encountered entitled CMs on vacation - they have been very loud and take over the bars and get all the good restaurant tables and reservations. Ok, old man rant done for the morning :)

Anyone else notice the trend of an increasing number of cast members on DCL cruises? I don’t remember many in the past but lately when we have been doing back to back cruises it seems like there are around 100 or so cast members doing the same. I understand they need to fill the ships and the price is right for the CMs.
I wouldn’t be bothered too much but it does take a little magic out of the sailing for us. Maybe we have just encountered entitled CMs on vacation - they have been very loud and take over the bars and get all the good restaurant tables and reservations. Ok, old man rant done for the morning :)
How do you know that the people are CMs?

I have a couple friends who are CM's and they have said the CM rates have been few and far between lately. Also CM's don't get to select their Palo or Remy reservations, or anything else for that matter, any sooner than anybody else. It's all based on Castaway Level.

I'll take a different approach and thank the cast members for their hard work to make our Disney vacations the BEST ever. They deserve their vacations just as much as anyone else. If the good tables and reservations are taken up, it's probably by cruisers who are paying for concierge. Since you came here to ask, the narrative that CMs as a larger group are entitled and loud and destroy the magic is most likely your own. IMO it's in poor taste to generalize about any large group of people, and it's ironic that you take aim at those that are the heart of the Disney experience.

Maybe these are 20 something pearl or platinum castaway club members as they got their castaway club level cruising as children with their parents??

Maybe these are 20 something pearl or platinum castaway club members as they got their castaway club level cruising as children with their parents??
Could be anyone really. But if they were CM on vacation, it wouldn’t be immediately obvious that they were in fact CM. They wouldn’t have to follow any of the rules that CM usually do if they are in Guest areas on their time off

How do you know that the people are CMs?
I’m also curious how the OP arrived at such a large number of CMs on a single cruise.

One way I find out that someone is a CM is when they win at Disney Parks trivia.

I’m Platinum and on all my cruises the number of times I’ve somehow found out that a passenger is a CM is probably less than ten.

Im guessing the assumption was made that they were cm if it was a group of young people, in their 20's who didnt look like first time cruisers, who seemed to be very familiar with the ship and Disney in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter