Choosing National Parks

Moab is fun! Last year we flew into salt lake, spent a day at park city, then drove to southern Utah for a 3 day overnight rafting trip thru west water canyon. After that we went to Moab and did some hiking, canyoneering, off road Jeep adventure, and a jet boat tour. If you like adventure, go to Moab. The kids had a blast. They were 8 and 10 at the time. CC958DB8-978B-49E1-8329-96E2EB9D1613.jpeg

I have not been to many national parks, but when I was 13 years old, I went with some of my family to see the Giant Sequoias. That was over 60 years ago and the images are still vivid in my mind. The majesty of those trees is breathtaking. Seeing them should be on everyone's bucket list. While I was there, a deer came up to me and ate out of my hand.

Wherever you go, make sure you make your in park lodging reservations as soon as you can. If you wait, you might be too late.

Living in Texas, I've decided my summer vacations will only be to places that are not hot. Moab, Bryce, Zion sound amazing, but they are places I'd rather go very early summer or fall. We did Yellowstone and Glacier July 2019 and it was amazing. We are not big hikers, but did a few easy trails, kayaked on lake Yellowstone, whitewater rafted near Glacier. And, it was green and cool - such a balm to this Texan's soul!

If you're going into Moab, take the scenic drive in rather than the highway. It's a spectacle unto itself.

On the Banks of the Colorado by mom2rtk, on Flickr

If you're up to a 3 mile round trip hike, definitely go out to iconic Delicate Arch.

Goodbye Delicate Arch by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I highly recommend a hike down into Bryce Canyon. I'm not a big hiker, but was able to do it and it was well worth the effort.

IMG_7924 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

We've never hiked Canyonlands but still took in some spectacular sights:

Shafer Canyon Overlook - Canyonlands by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Here's nearby Deadhorse Point:

Dead Horse Point by mom2rtk, on Flickr

And if you get to Page AZ, it's definitely worth the short hike out to see Horseshoe Bend:

Horshshoe Bend by mom2rtk, on Flickr

All I could think of is that it will be crowded in the summer. So decide soon, then look into booking rooms . I also suggest you stay close/in the parks which book up quick.

I have been to all of the ones you mentioned, National Park Groupie, and just loved Southern Utah. But it will be hot.

My next park is Grand Canyon. Been 40 years since I've been there, but a friend said it hasn't changed much ..Ha!

I love all these places you're considering,except Jackson Hole the town lol,we drove thru on our way to Tetons and that was it. Keep in mind that Bryce,while otherworldy and magical in its beauty,is quite small. Zion is bigger,Arches is HUGE. (we missed Antelope canyon last time, haven't gotten back yet:sad:) When we drove,we flew into Vegas, drove to Zion,then Hit North Rim GC, then Bryce, Capitol Reef,arches,and flew home from SLC. There are SOOOOO many smaller places to visit in between each of the "biggies" which is great when planning your drive.
Yellowstone? 6 days I'd focus on staying within the park and that circle drive,spend 2 days at each,Old Faithful,Grand Canyon of Yellowstone,a day at Mammoth is plenty (esp. in Summer)....that's 4-5 nights right there.

I have not been to many national parks, but when I was 13 years old, I went with some of my family to see the Giant Sequoias. That was over 60 years ago and the images are still vivid in my mind. The majesty of those trees is breathtaking. Seeing them should be on everyone's bucket list. While I was there, a deer came up to me and ate out of my hand.

Sequoia Is on my bucket list. I just can't get us far enough out West on this trip. I think we will plan a California trip and include Sequoia in that. We've never been to Sn Francisco so we could start there, do Sequoia and finish with a few days in Disney.

I'm so glad I found this thread:flower1:
My husband retires in a couple of weeks, and we are starting to plan a trip out West via Arizona to California. We want to hit the National parks, as many as we can! Can't wait to see the redwoods!
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful advice:butterfly

I'm so glad I found this thread:flower1:
My husband retires in a couple of weeks, and we are starting to plan a trip out West via Arizona to California. We want to hit the National parks, as many as we can! Can't wait to see the redwoods!
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful advice:butterfly
Be sure to get a Senior Pass if either of you are 62 or older. The one-year Senior Pass is $20 (instead of $80 for a regular annual pass) and the lifetime Senior Pass is $80.

The pass not only gets the passholder in free -- it gets everyone in your vehicle in free. And not only to National Park System sites -- it gets you in to most federally managed lands. There's a full list of agencies who accept the pass in this linked page:

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/senior-pass-changes.htm

I love all these places you're considering,except Jackson Hole the town lol,we drove thru on our way to Tetons and that was it. Keep in mind that Bryce,while otherworldy and magical in its beauty,is quite small. Zion is bigger,Arches is HUGE. (we missed Antelope canyon last time, haven't gotten back yet:sad:) When we drove,we flew into Vegas, drove to Zion,then Hit North Rim GC, then Bryce, Capitol Reef,arches,and flew home from SLC. There are SOOOOO many smaller places to visit in between each of the "biggies" which is great when planning your drive.
Yellowstone? 6 days I'd focus on staying within the park and that circle drive,spend 2 days at each,Old Faithful,Grand Canyon of Yellowstone,a day at Mammoth is plenty (esp. in Summer)....that's 4-5 nights right there.

In order to really see the north rim, you want to hike down. Give yourself a half day to do this trek. Go as far as the maps provided suggest. And bring plenty of water.

Be sure to get a Senior Pass if either of you are 62 or older. The one-year Senior Pass is $20 (instead of $80 for a regular annual pass) and the lifetime Senior Pass is $80.

The pass not only gets the passholder in free -- it gets everyone in your vehicle in free. And not only to National Park System sites -- it gets you in to most federally managed lands. There's a full list of agencies who accept the pass in this linked page:

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/senior-pass-changes.htm

Or get to the park before the rangers get there and go in for free. That’s what we did for Glacier. We didn’t need our passes at all.

If you’re on Twitter, follow the parks you are planning on visiting. You’ll get updates on closures and such within the parks. For example, Arches posts when they are limiting access or not letting anyone in because park capacity has been reached. Shenandoah posts when campgrounds are full.
In 2019 we stayed in a cabin 15 minutes from the north entrance of Yellowstone. This gave us easy access to the park, we entered each day before 9am. If you’re going to visit ANY of the major “attractions “, like Old Faithful, get there early. Parking fills up fast. Grand Prismatic was a circus.
Attendance was up in the parks this summer and that’s without any foreign tourists. If the borders open up then I’m thinking that next summer will be crazier.

Bryce combines much better with Zion, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Lower Antelope Canyon (do NOT miss), and possibly Monument Valley/Arches

I've done all of these except Lower Antelope Canyon. For the Grand Canyon, it was the south rim. I absolutely love them all and have gone to the Grand Canyon, passing through the east gate to the Painted Desert to get to Monument Valley and Sedona several times. :love:

Yet, Lower Antelope Canyon is the one I really wish I had visited instead of either Bryce or Zion - even though I loved them both. But, as someone else said, it's a half-day trip and not super close to other things.

But keep in mind that many of these places -- especially the Jackson/Grand Teton/Yellowstone area -- are at some altitude.

Jackson and Grand Teton are at 6200+ feet, and the lowest elevation in Yellowstone is 5200+ feet. Much of Yellowstone is higher than 7500 feet, which is higher than the base at Park City.

Yes, I drove in to Park City, UT to meet up with friends, meandering through Zion & Bryce on the way, so I didn't notice the altitude, since I spent several days slowly getting acclimated. But a few friends who flew in felt the altitude difference and it hit them quite hard.

I forgot about Antelope Canyon. Time table, if we went with Moab over Yellowstone, we could add Antelope but it would have to be between that and Zion.

This could very well be the last time I get a chance to do much of this area....simply because of wanting to do other things and the distance from home that these parks are. We already drove cross-country once. I am super excited about doing it again but I can't see us doing it a 3rd time. That is what is making this so difficult.....I want to see it all, but I need to figure out what is Can't miss.

That's how I feel. I think I have one more visit in me to this area before, or in between, moving on to another area. Lower Antelope Canyon would definitely make the list this time.

Yellowstone is on my list for other areas. But, as people have said, it gets LOTS of visitors, so that's a turn off.

I've done all of these except Lower Antelope Canyon. For the Grand Canyon, it was the south rim. I absolutely love them all and have gone to the Grand Canyon, passing through the east gate to the Painted Desert to get to Monument Valley and Sedona several times. :love:

Yet, Lower Antelope Canyon is the one I really wish I had visited instead of either Bryce or Zion - even though I loved them both. But, as someone else said, it's a half-day trip and not super close to other things.
Lower Antelope is a longish drive from places like Bryce, but not from N. Arizona.

I also love that east entrance to the South Rim, especially the Desert View visitor center. South Rim without the crowds, and there are several nice overlooks between Desert View and Grand Canyon Village.

The best-kept secret on the South Rim is Shoshone Point on the road between the village and Desert View. It's just an unmarked parking lot and trail, because NPS rents the site out for weddings, etc. There is a sign that says "Authorized personnel only" but no enforcement -- and probably no actual restrictions. You park there and hike about a mile to an amazing view, with tables and bathrooms -- and ZERO people. Might be the prettiest view on the South Rim.

From Desert View, Lower Antelope Canyon is a little less than a 2 hour drive. And from Lower Antelope to Monument is just another 2 hours, so that's a natural fit.

We were staying in Flagstaff, AZ for part of our trip and just did an up and back drive to Antelope from there (2 hours each way). We hit Sunset Crater Volcano NM and Wupatki NM as a side trip on the way up.

My favorite national parks ever---Banff and Jasper in the Canadian Rockies. Truly magical! Beautiful scenery, cooler summer temperatures and walkable downtown areas.

We did the Grand Canyon about 10 years ago, so we'd skip that part. It seems like there is so much to see in SW Utah, but the heat concerns me a bit.

We were staying in Flagstaff, AZ for part of our trip and just did an up and back drive to Antelope from there (2 hours each way). We hit Sunset Crater Volcano NM and Wupatki NM as a side trip on the way up.

The times I've gone to Grand Canyon & Sedona & Monument Valley, I usually head into Flagstaff overnight. It's in between Sedona & Monument Valley, and it is much cheaper to stay there than in a more touristy spot. Plus the scenic drive from Flagstaff to Sedona on Rt 89A, is NOT to be missed. :love:

But, as your map shows, heading north on Rt 89 from Flagstaff, it's either continuing to go straight up 89 to Lower Antelope Valley or forking right to go to Monument Valley. We've always forked right. <sigh!> Next trip will definitely include Lower Antelope Canyon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter