Cloning of rides at Disney Theme Parks??

But how many Disney projects use relativly unknown voice or screen acting and still hold relevence? Is the Voice of the little mermaid still relevent. Do you think that first time viewers of Mary Poppins care how relevent Julie Andrews is?

Exactly! Your examples point to instances where it didn't and doesn't matter. To me, it completely matters in Cranium Command.

This is only speculation, but I'd venture to guess that if I wasn't familiar with the SNL Hans and Franz sketches, hadn't watched Norm every Thursday night through the 1980's and hadn't suffered through a couple of Police Academy movies, I wouldn't "get" most of the stuff in Cranium Command. Nor would it be anywhere near as funny to me. Perhaps I'm wrong. But, if I'm right, it will continue to lose its luster and won't be able to stand the test of time.

It's nice and all, I'm just arguing that it can't be mentioned in the same breath as PoC, HM, or Splash.

Oh, and one more thing. I don't like the fact that it relies on personas created outside of Disney for it's impact. That's what I don't like about Rock n Roller, Star Tours or yes, even Tower of Terror. I really wish ToT was done without the Twilight Zone storyline. I think it could have worked generically and I would have much preferred it.

I didn't know who Hans & Franz were nor Charles Grodin were when I saw Cranium Command the first time, but that didn't affect my enjoyment of Cranium Command any. Hans & Franz seem like Arnold Schwartzenegger types and I suppose if he fades then it could become a problem but I think Arnie is one of those people who future people will remember the same way people of mine can recognize Jimmie Stewart or Fred & Ginger; some people just stick.

Cranium Command is one of the better "famous people" castings, IMO (I normally hate them). Younger generations may not get George Wendt/Norm but I think it works that a fat guy would be manning the stomach operations. And you don't need to get Bobcat's shtick to think a crazy guy manning the adrenal gland is funny either.

Thanks Jeff. I wish the Disney suits over here will realize high quality is the best way to go. The irony is high qualify will pay big dividends in the long run. If you can't build it right, then don't build it at all. Check out this website to see the cool rides over in DisneySea www.barrybedford.com. The difference between DCA and DisneySea is like night and day. You're right....it's all about the budget. But you get what you pay for. I think if Walt were alive today, he would have scrapped DCA and built DisneySea over here. What do you think?

King Triton

Normally I would agree with the "Outside Disney" Theory except for 2 things. In the Disney/MGM Studios, they Celebrate movies, not Disney. Having Twilight zone and Star Wars is the Entire point. In fact Its Eisners Lets use the Studio's to promote every crappy show or movie we make plans that have me worried about that park. The best parts of the Studios have nothing to do with Disney and that's the way it should be IN THAT PARK.

As for cranium command, I agree with hopemax, yes, many of those actors are associated with the shtick they potray, BUT, they do it so well that they trancend there previous characters.

Plus, to me its different when its schtick as opposed to say mimicing an entire film or T.V. Show.

Seinfeld Presents Cranium command wouldn't work for me as an example.

I agree Cranium COmmand is no Pirates or HM, but then very few other rides come close. Indy does to a certain extent Jungle cruise does. Small world Love it or hate it is close. The old JII did.

Still, just cause it ain't number one doesn't make it bad.

Baron, your initial analysis was correct. Cranium Command is a hidden jewel at Epcot, and is still Cranium Command one of my top five attractions at WDW. Okay, if not everyone's top five attraction, it should still be the #1 show at WDW. Splash & POC are still my top two...hasn't changed since Yoho!'s last poll.

I believe Cranium was made by the same guys as Atlantis & B&B, Wise & Troubadour. Isn't that right? They made the little show, (and the pre-show for anyone that hasn't seen it -- NOT TO BE MISSED!), and someone saw it and scooped them up for directorial assignments.

I believe that is how the story goes. I'm sorry that more people don't know about this one...it largely goes unlooked by the non-Disney regular crowd.

I love Crainium Command! So does my wife. Our 12 year old daughter though, thinks it's only mildly amusing...The show is passe & doomed, IMO. No matter how good the casting was, they'll need to recast with more relevent actors in the near future...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

I would agree with gcurling post, in its entirety!!! Excellant points!!! What do you think disney would do if lets say the members of Aerosmith were all caught doing drugs or one of them was the cause of a fatal accident?? Disney is very worried about their image and that wouldnt benefit them if this happened would it??? When you use outside persona's you can never know what it could lead to. You can control a cartoon charachter also easier.

The best parts of the Studios have nothing to do with Disney and that's the way it should be IN THAT PARK.
Well YoHo, you've identified my chief problem with the Studios. It's that Disney had to go outside of "Disney" in order to react and compete with the guys down the street. I suppose that's what they wanted, but why? Most of Epcot has nothing to do with Disney either, but it doesn't rely on content created by other entertainment companies.

Because Disney is not and Never was the only studio in Hollywood. a themepark based on the Glory days of Hollywood would be really lame if it only delt with one company. This is in fact one of my biggest problems with Universal.

That and the Fact that Universal Studios Florida Does NOT have the same theme as Disney/MGM studios although Mikey has done his best to change that.

Combined with the fact that Disney did not venture into every Genre in the old days.

The Studios used to be so nice. It was old hollywood. it had excellent SHOW, it was fun. NOW half of it is an undisguised promotional vehicle for Disney produced media. I'd tolerate the kids stuff, except that I don't see what any of it has to do with the actual SHOW trying to be presented. The studios is a Theme gone wrong and is my greatest example of how Eisner has ruined the Parks. I don't agree with all of Landbaron's complaints with this park. It actually would take very little in the way of changes for me to regain my faith here.

I'll shoot my point from this direction:

If Disney decided they wanted to do a studios theme park (and they only did it to beat Universal to the punch) and they knew that in order to recapture the glory days of Hollywood they would have to include attractions based on films outside their library. Thennnn..... maybe they should not have built this park in the first place.

Intrestingly, the reason you dislike Universal Studios is the reason I kind of like it. It's more pure. It's a theme park by Universal about Universal.

I'd try to draw an anology using some other company. But, honestly, I can't think of one stronger than:

It's like Disney building a theme park and then using a bunch of other companies' movies in it to make it work.

Here's a question. Is the Magic Kingdom/Disneyland a themepark about Disney?

If you answer yes, then the Studio's should never have been built, because it is redundent.
If you answer no, then a Park about Old Hollywood that is not Disney Specific makes complete sense. The only Difference is that unlike the old west or Grand Adventure, or the future or even the future that never was, Old Hollywood was populated by studios that have copyrights and trademarks.

Personally, Universal certainly has more homegrown property to use. At the same time, they clearly have a different theme. (That being the Theme of Universal Studios) as opposed to the Theme of Old Hollywood.

Things Disney could add to make The Studios more in Line with its SHOW, yet satisfy gcurling would be.
Walts original House somewhere.
More street Performers.

Things YoHo would like to see that may or may not meet the All Disney Standard.

Some Old time radio fun.
More low ticket rides Think Superstar limo, but not crappy.

I guess I'm still not quite making my point, or we just plain disagree.

A theme park about Old Hollywood is a fine idea.

HOWEVER...

If Disney's gonna be the one to do it, and they MUST use:

Indiana Jones
Star Wars
Muppets
Aerosmith
Casablanca
Twilight Zone
Footlight Whatever
Public Enemy
Alien
Wizard of Oz
etc.
etc.
etc.

THEN

maybe Disney shouldn't do that park.

It's kinda like Nike World featuring attractions based on Adidas and Reebok. Disney-MGM Studios was a reactionary effort to snag some of Universal's market share. And in doing so, they had to rely on previously created content... content from outside. Isn't Disney in the business of creating content?

I understand your point, BUT the question isn't should Disney have built the park to fend off Universal. Its Should Disney build a Disney Park that celebrates these things even if they have to use other's content, because
1: Disney is the best at making these parks
2: It rounds out the Disney World Expireance

gcurling, are you sure Eisner hasn't jacked your username? this is the exact kind of thinking that put the BAH right in front of Mann's. (not Judging the BAH itself)

I don't think the source of the content is really relevent as long as its appropriate. The content being create dis the rides. in the Case of the Studios, MGM and Lucas (Sort of) are the Equivelent of the Bros. Grimm

Gcurling!! I agree absolutely!!

It should have been a HUGE pavilion at EPCOT (as it was first conceived). It was poorly thought out in the first place and has lost direction ever since!!!

Man gcurling, it must drive you nuts that star tours and Indiana Jones are in the disneyland park...

Drat, I thought I might get Landbaron to Waver on this one.

Personally, I don't see this fitting in at Epcot, so I'm glad it isn't there.

I like its original theme.
I have zero problems with using outside content prefer it in fact.
I don't think that the Studio ever did match up with Universal well in theme. I think it had a better theme.
I like the theme of the studios better.

d-r, but I fall into the trap of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." And that's why much earlier in this thread I said I'd like to see Indy come to WDW.

If I had a choice, I'd much rather see the same level of immersive theming using the same ride system but have it based on a Disney film. And, no, Dinosaur does NOT count. But, if the only way I'm gonna get it is for it to be an Indy clone... so be it. BUT, DON'T put it in the Magic Kingdom or Epcot.

Landbaron, I never liked the idea of the movie pavillion between Imagination and Land. All of the other pavillions focus on broad, general concepts: Imagination, Sea, Land, Communication, Energy, Transporation, Health and Space. Even though Transporation is currently one specific kind of transportation, "Movies" is too specific and doesn't fit Future World to me.

YoHo, I do see your perspective. And, yes, alot of great content out there and Disney did some good things with it at the Studios.

But, Disney-MGM Studios still begs the question from many guests "What does Star Wars have to do with Disney?" "IS that a Disney movie?" I just don't think Disney really should have planted the seed for those questions. Disney-MGM Studios (to me) is an example of following, not leading.

As far as I know, Jacob and Wilhelm never put a face on Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty or Snow White. And, those fairy tales are super short 5 page stories written 200 years ago. Walt took those tales and turned them into fascinating stories. Those three ladies have become synonomous with Disney. I can't imagine that ever happening with Star Wars or Aerosmith.

MGM used to be my favoite park, now it's my least favorite. I liked that the Studios didn't rely completely on the Disney vault. The Disney that I like best is the Disney that recognized that the world does not revolve around Disney. That other people and other groups were capable of accomplishing worthwhile things too. The Monsanto parts of DL's Tomorrowland, Carousel of Progress, Epcot. I really appreciated that Disney would be even willing to showcase someone else's work. To recognize that Disney was only one cog in what makes Hollywood a fun place to be. I have far more respect for the one who says, "I may be great, but so were X, Y, Z; lets celebrate all of us" then the one that says "Hey, look at me! Aren't I so cool." and scoffs at everyone else. Now this need that just about everything be based on a Disney® product, comes off as extremely egotistical and in-your-face self-promotion. It turns me off big time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter