College Program Questions Thread Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this is somewhere, but can someone give an idea of what the first 3 days are like? Timeframes, places to go, what all gets done, etc?

I'm trying to decide on a check in date, but just found out that Disney Homeschool Days are the 12-13 (I wanted to check in on the 12th) and my girls are going to go, so I'd like to have a general idea of what a schedule might look like in case I need to change my date.

Sure (this might be a little different for people living not in CP housing):
Day 1- Check-in (get housing ID, fingerprinted, get apartment and key, paperwork, and so on) and housing meeting

Day 2- Find out work location, more paperwork, sign up for any classes if you're taking any

Day 3- Traditions

Day 4-6- start of training (varies for everyone)

Hey guys, Im sorta, kinda, not really new here and Ive been seriously thinking about the college program. The only problem is that Im not sure if Im "the right stuff" or even eligible. But I might be getting a bit ahead of myself here. Let me give a bit of info on myself to see if it is really my thing as well.

Im a 19 year old Community College student studying general courses (English, bio, ect.) in Virginia. Im taking a music class as well which I find very intriguing and so far has been very rewarding. I love music in general, everything from jamming to Trans-Siberian Orchestra on my guitar to singing along with Switchfoot on my drive home(Something that I try to keep to myself :D).

Im aslo a bit of an artsy guy. I love to do the occasional doodle or sketch and its something I really enjoy doing, especially Disney characters(Stitch in particular). I have also dabbled in Biology and Marine Biology and have a GREAT love for animals. Ive been to Disney about five times in the last five years and have loved it EVERY time.

Now, from what I gathered the program is an internship of sorts. You start off the first year working directly with Disney as a vendor, cook, ect. and the next year you start the internship. But this is what I gathered when I asked about it a year or so ago when I was down there.

So thats pretty much me and what Ive found out so far, but I would like to know more. I would love to hear about the real deal behind the program, not a cutesy girl giving me a glorified sales pitch (Although the cutesy girl would be nice :D). So any info behind the program would be much appreciated. Also give me your thoughts if it really seems like something suited to me. I would LOVE to advance my life and work in one of my favorite places to be. Thanks in advance!

~Matt~

Now, from what I gathered the program is an internship of sorts. You start off the first year working directly with Disney as a vendor, cook, ect. and the next year you start the internship. But this is what I gathered when I asked about it a year or so ago when I was down there.

Matt,
You were a wee bit misinformed, so it's good you've come to the Fount of Knowledge known as the DisBoards! The College Program is basically Disney's way of filling the workforce for cheap while providing a foot in the door or a nice line on a resume.

It's a 5 month program (or 7 if you go with "Advantage") where you work in a shop, at an attraction, in quick or full service food, as a lifeguard, etc. Any one of a plethora of jobs they offer for College Program students. Once your time is up, you go back to your life, or you can extend, or you can see if you can get a "real" job with the company.

To qualify, you need to be a student at the time of application and have an interview, then they decide if you fit in. If you love Disney, are enthusiastic, and can communicate fairly well, you'll be in good shape.

So essentially its a job oppertunity(I can not spell, I apologize) where I go for half a year and possibly work toward a real career in Disney? Does the job pay for room and board (From what I heard this was true) as well as get college credits? Or is it essentially JUST a job oppertunity?

Thanks a lot for the response!

So essentially its a job oppertunity(I can not spell, I apologize) where I go for half a year and possibly work toward a real career in Disney? Does the job pay for room and board (From what I heard this was true) as well as get college credits? Or is it essentially JUST a job oppertunity?

Thanks a lot for the response!

If you want a long-term career with Disney, then it's a perfect opportunity. It also looks excellent on a resume! As far as the apartment goes, the price varies but you are guaranteed enough hours per week to pay your rent. You may get college credits for the CP. The college I'm enrolled at now doesn't count Disney as an internship but the college I'm transferring to next fall DOES, so they'll be giving me credits once I enroll there.

PS sorry if there are missing letters in this or any of my other posts, I spilled juice on my keyboard and it skips letters sometimes lol

The room in board provided is by way of apartments that you share with 1-7 people, depending on the size of the apartment. Rent automatically comes out of your paycheck in 4 increments per month (once a week).

Its a paid internship with the following "roles" available:
Quick Service Food and Beverage
Custodial
Merchandise
Attractions (rides)
Vacation Planner (selling tickets)
Hospitality (working in a hotel)
Housekeeping (cleaning in a hotel)
Bell Services (hotel)
Character Attendant (those who assist characters)
Main Entrance Operations (tickets, greeter, parking)
Transportation (monorail, boats)
Full Service Food and Beverage
Lifeguard (waterparks)
Recreation (marina operations)
Costuming
Character Performer (requires you to pass an audition)

Theres tons of information on the official website:
http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com

It sounds like you would have a lot of fun on this program!

Hi all. I was wondering - my son in doing the Spring '09 College Program. January 5 - May 15th. He has to check out on May 15th. Do you think he would have to work on the 14th? Or do they have anything special planned for the day before check out for those going home? He was thinking of leaving to drive back home on the 14th, but I'd hate for him to miss anything.

Thanks!

I was scheduled to work 50 hours my last week of the program. My last day was supposed to be a 12 hour closing shift (getting off at 10:45 at night) and had to be out of my apartment by 9:30 am to catch my plane home.

For some reason Mary Brown decided that people don't need time to pack and such.

I was scheduled to work 50 hours my last week of the program. My last day was supposed to be a 12 hour closing shift (getting off at 10:45 at night) and had to be out of my apartment by 9:30 am to catch my plane home.

For some reason Mary Brown decided that people don't need time to pack and such.

Was Mary Brown your scheduler? Mine was named Emma Smithson (how I remember that, I have no idea!) Schedulers seem to not be quite with it. I requested a day off weeks in advance for a worker's comp related doctors appointment and Emma didn't feel like it was necessary to give it to me off. Silly lady.

I know that we are supposed to wear dressier clothing to Tradions...is a nice sun dress considered dreey enough? or is it more business formal

I know that we are supposed to wear dressier clothing to Tradions...is a nice sun dress considered dreey enough? or is it more business formal

I would go with slacks and a blouse, and nice shoes. Oh, and a belt if you tuck in your blouse. If I recall right, they will give you a list of what is appropriate and not appropriate for Traditions. Expect to bring about 3 days worth of nice stuff. One of those days, however, you will be allowed to wear tennis shoes when you tour the park/resort you will be working at.

This probably can't be answered but does anyone know what that apartment's policy on hanging photos in the apartments is? I don't know if we're allowed to put nails in the wall for photos as long as we fill them in when we move out. I wanted to hang some stuff on the wall :)

Is there anyone here willing to give some opinions on the Program as a whole?

Was it worth the move/change of life?

Where are you now?

Are you staying with Disney or persuing a career/education elseware?

Does it really feel like a job, or is it a really unique experiance?

Is there anything you regret?

Is there anything that really stands out?

This probably can't be answered but does anyone know what that apartment's policy on hanging photos in the apartments is? I don't know if we're allowed to put nails in the wall for photos as long as we fill them in when we move out. I wanted to hang some stuff on the wall :)

There was nothing allowed on the walls when my DDs did their programs. I think they had a bulletin board? I'm also thinking there was no sticky-tack allowed.

Is there anyone here willing to give some opinions on the Program as a whole? I'll give you my daughters' take on their programs...

Was it worth the move/change of life? both say, yes, absolutely, it was life-changing in a good way.

Where are you now? Both are at WDW now, one is F/T at the resort call center, the other is at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, but will be on the Kim Possible attraction opening team next month.

Are you staying with Disney or persuing a career/education elseware? Both are taking online classes toward their degrees. Oldest will be a lifelong CM, if they'll have her. My other one isn't so sure, this week she wants to be a teacher. ;)

Does it really feel like a job, or is it a really unique experiance? Oldest worked at the Confectionary on Main Street and it was a truly unique experience for her. She enjoyed her job and seeing the castle on her way to work every day. My other daughter started off her CP at Once Upon a Toy and was not happy at first. It seemed "ordinary" to her, and not that different than her former job. She did eventually pick up some magic and wound up extending into the Boutique, which she ADORES.

Is there anything you regret? My oldest regrets not keeping her record card spiffy so she wasn't allowed to extend. :rolleyes1 I don't think there are any other regrets...

Is there anything that really stands out? MAGIC. I got several phone calls a day telling me about the magic they were able to create. From the little girl watching my oldest make "fairy floss" (that's what she called cotton candy) to my second calling me in tears telling me about the Princess who was celebrating recovering from cancer there was so much magic every day.

I grew up in Germany. My Dad was USArmy and we were there for 7 1/2 years. In that time we saw SO many countries and every long weekend, we were going somewhere new. There were many, MANY families/soldiers who griped and complained about how awful it was and they never left the post. They'd go back to the States and tell everyone how horrible it was being stationed overseas. The thing is, they never took the opportunity to look for the magic. The same applies to working at WDW. It's work and it's HARD work with long hours and sometimes what seems little to show for it in your paycheck. If you look for the magic, though, none of that will matter.

I don't really recall the rules. Pretty sure no sticky tack allowed. I do remember that we passed our inspection with my roommate having a push pin stuck in her calendar on the wall.

There was nothing allowed on the walls when my DDs did their programs. I think they had a bulletin board? I'm also thinking there was no sticky-tack allowed.

I don't really recall the rules. Pretty sure no sticky tack allowed. I do remember that we passed our inspection with my roommate having a push pin stuck in her calendar on the wall.

Thanks, i'll just have to set my stuff up on a table or something

graygables - thanks for posting that! I'm starting to get nervous and your post reassured me a bit

Is there anyone here willing to give some opinions on the Program as a whole?

Sure! I feel that the CP is a great experience, and it has changed my life. Because of the CP, I figured out what I wanted to do in life (I was undeclared before my first CP). I met so many wonderful people (many of whom I still see every time I go to FL).

Was it worth the move/change of life?

It sure was! I am not a cold-weather person, and plan on moving to FL as soon as I graduate.

Where are you now?

I am currently back at school in NJ. I only have 22 more credits left, and will be done either May or Aug. I am still seasonal though, and also a campus rep (just finished my third semester, and will do my fourth in the Spring).

Are you staying with Disney or persuing a career/education elseware?

My goal is to go FT at WDW. I hope to stay in the entertainment department.

Does it really feel like a job, or is it a really unique experiance?

It didn't really feel like a job to me (especially my 2nd and 4th CPs). I love helping make magic for the guests. Also, where else can you see all the entertainment while at work? For example- when I was in custodial at Epcot, I could see the shows in the countries while doing streets (Off Kilter in Canada, Holy Grail show and British Invasion in UK, ect). It was also great seeing Illuminations every night.

Is there anything you regret?

Not really. There are a couple of things I wish I had tried. But hopefully I will be able to do them next time.

Is there anything that really stands out?

Making friends with people from around the world, getting to go to the theme parks whenever you want, trying new things, just the whole overall experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter