• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Condition of BCV

Interesting pictures of the carpet. Hard to find a more bland industrial design. Hopefully an imagineer will walk through and kill that design.

I had written inquiring about the refurb of the BCV. I got a personal phone call this weekend, actually Saturday afternoon from the vacation club. He explained that they will be doing a full redo of all of the villas, similar to the process that they did at OKW. It will be section by section and it will not be major construction. the final approval is waiting for the meeting and funds. he said that chances are that it will not start for atleast another 7 months after the approval because they have to start up a schedule so they don't overbook the resort. we are going in May also and i was hoping it would start before we went so I could ask for a refurbished room. Well only time will tell. It also sounded like they will be putting the laminate floors in the villas similar to OKW. I want to stay here but I don't want to stay in an old worn out room... Dh doesn't like BW and we love this area. i will be checking with them again around Feb and see what's up with a schedule and make my decision then.

Thanks for posting the carpet pictures. The carpet outside our villa looks different. It's a real bright blue and yellow, and the walls are painted yellow. I'll have to go take some pictures-it looks really nice.

In a few days when we're home I'll post some pictures of "our" carpet. I love it, and I hope that's the one they choose.

We just got back from BCV as well. My DH and I both were talking about how worn out the Villas looked. Our studio didn't even have a lamp shade on the big lamp in the corner of the room. We were very disappointed with the carpet and cleanliness of the elevators. Made us wonder where our fees are going each year.

It's always a challenge to balance immediate maintenance needs with the long-term cost (and benefit) of a pending refurbishment project. DVC refurbs require 3 years of prep work leading up to their commencement. That includes interaction with Imagineering to design and sample changes to the villas, testing different materials and furnishings, obtaining bids, budgeting, planning to block-out villas for work, etc.

In our own houses, when it's time to replace carpet we look at a few samples and write a check. Planning is a bit more complicated for a Disney facility--particularly a timeshare.

This BCV refurb has been in the works for two years now and the start timeframe has been communicated as "fall 2014." I would imagine some aspects of the resort look a bit run-down now. But the only solution would be spending tens-of-thousands of dollars (of owner dues) to replace carpets, wallcoverings and similar items now...and then rip it all out in 12 months for newer replacements.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be staying in refurbished rooms until October or November of 2014. And in those early months, only a handful of refurbed rooms will be available. The project will probably take 9-12 months to update all rooms.

Adjust expectations...and reservations...accordingly.

In a few days when we're home I'll post some pictures of "our" carpet. I love it, and I hope that's the one they choose.

Is it like the carpet in the halls of the hotel section? I think that is a blue background although my attention last week was more drawn to the bleach spots where someone did "special" cleaning. :rolleyes1

Wouldn't it be a novel idea for Disney to choose 3 designs with acceptable wearability and cost and let owners vote for their favorite pattern on line.

We checked out of the Beach club villas yesterday after a 10 day stay in a 4th floor studio overlooking the quiet pool. The room was in much better condition than l expected based on what I had read. We checked into BLT yesterday and the room is slso in good condition. I find it frustrating that many of these issues wouldn't exist if people were more respectful of their accommodations and surroundings.

Well at least we are not paying rack rate that would be around 7,000 for the week in a two bed room!

Ok folks you all have me nervous ... We are loyal BWV owners but booked BCV for Christmas as a different experience....tell me I won't be happy with the condition of the room. Anyone have a crystal ball from HM to check ?

Listen it's really fine everyone is just being 100%honest and super picky. I was there exactly 1 year ago today and it was just fine. Going back in may I just felt it was a bit tired. Plus you stay for the pool and the fact you in Epcot in 3 minutes.

Ok folks you all have me nervous ... We are loyal BWV owners but booked BCV for Christmas as a different experience....tell me I won't be happy with the condition of the room. Anyone have a crystal ball from HM to check ?

I prefer the Magic 8 ball - it said "Reply hazy try again". ;)

We feel the rooms we have at BWV are very comparable to BCV and I wouldn't worry. The studio I just had at BCV was fine and I had no complaints. I felt that the hall carpet at BWV which was installed a few years ago was showing the same sort of wear and tear in May that is at BCV so if you're happy at BWV I don't think it should be any different at BCV.

I find it frustrating that many of these issues wouldn't exist if people were more respectful of their accommodations and surroundings.

Agreed. We own at BCV, love BCV, and are here now. Our room is clean and perfectly fine. Most of its cosmetic issues are dings in the walls or on the woodwork - there's even a continuous scratch at about the right height for a stroller. People need to treat the rooms with respect.

The hall carpet is worn but I've seen them steam cleaning it. It also doesn't help that I saw a young kid pouring a soda on the hall carpet either - again that goes back to treating one's surroundings with respect.

They are not refurbed or rehabbed at the rate hotels are and I think people need to accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Wouldn't it be a novel idea for Disney to choose 3 designs with acceptable wearability and cost and let owners vote for their favorite pattern on line.

I like that idea. Has any one ever pitched that at an annual meeting?

Heading back from a short trip for the marathon and was hanging out at the beach club for Saturday night carpets did look worn but who cares they are carpets. Once super concerning thing I was talking to a front desk worker in street clothes and said I was coming back in May to stay in the villas she said change to the boardwalk. I was it can't be that bad but she told they do get a lot of complaints from people who think they should have everything perfect. I was like as long as the shower works sheets are clean and lights turnoff I am fine!

I'm glad someone revived this thread-I'd totally forgotten the picture!

As you can see, they also changed the wall color by the rooms to yellow, and the hallway to white (off-white) over tan. The front desk told me that they plan a major soft goods renovation in 2014, and I suggested they let members vote on the carpet samples. Some people think the one we like is to "Yacht Clubby".

With that approach, it's very possible that 60+% of members find their favored option was not selected. Doesn't leave a very warm and fuzzy feeling when people are asked for an opinion and then later discover that their opinion didn't really matter.

DVC has never been run as a democracy and I wouldn't anticipate that ever happening. Disney isn't going to invite controversy and dissent by presenting multiple alternatives...they will make decisions they feels are in the overall best interest of the whole.

Heading back from a short trip for the marathon and was hanging out at the beach club for Saturday night carpets did look worn but who cares they are carpets. Once super concerning thing I was talking to a front desk worker in street clothes and said I was coming back in May to stay in the villas she said change to the boardwalk. I was it can't be that bad but she told they do get a lot of complaints from people who think they should have everything perfect. I was like as long as the shower works sheets are clean and lights turnoff I am fine!

We were booked at the BoardWalk 3-4 years ago during its refurb and had to switch resorts due to the disruptions. They were working on the room above ours and the afternoon was filled with circular saws, hammering and more.

Front desk said there were no other rooms available. We reluctantly accepted an upgraded room at Kidani.

Hard to predict situations like this but I am now wary of refurb situations like this. I wouldn't reschedule a trip out of fear of room condition...but if I know a refurb is going to coincide with my stay, I'll lean toward booking elsewhere.

I stayed at BCV for one night (had always wanted to stay there, and that's the longest I could get - I was moving from GF to SSR - so it was a nice transition).
The biggest complain I had was the carpet - it was beyond gross on the first floor. It looked so covered in dirt and grime that it was beyond cleaning.
The furniture was in OK shape - a little dinged and banged, but not too bad.
The bedspreads are horribly ugly!

The main lobby elevators in the villas were down the entire time I was there. I had to lug my bags up the stairs which wasn't so much fun - you would have through that the cast member would have directed guest with bags to the other elevator instead of he stairs.... but anyway.

As long as they replace those HORRIBLE wicker style chairs in the room, all will be well - those chairs are awful and so uncomfortable!

Moving on....

There are so many factors that go in to resort maintenance that can't even begin to be imagined.

The cost of mass renovation and refurbishment is astronomical.

HOWEVER, Disney Vacation Club has the HIGHEST buy in cost, AND the highest yearly dues in the industry.

To have high expectations in terms of maintenance, service, and overall resort conditions isn't out of the question.

While I totally agree that if you want hotel quality each and every stay, DVC isn't the best fit for your needs/wants.... I also don't want to pay and pay and pay dues to see the resorts constantly drop in quality, comfort, and value.

If I owned points at OKW and it was my home resort I would be beyond angry about the renovations there.
We stayed in a 1BR less than 2 months after all of the renovations had been completed and the stick down wood-look vinyl tile that was installed was already starting to peel up from the floor in several areas. It is too rigid to stick over uneven spots or bumps in the subfloor. It is too soft on the surface to be long lasting - they will almost definitely have to replace it within 3-5 years, it just isn't a quality product.

The soft good refurb at VWL was a good move - nothing was too terrible.

The changes made in the recent soft good renovation at Saratoga Springs move that resort from rejects from Grandma's attic, to a modern resort.
I like the shift to the darker color palette.

The changes made in the recent soft good renovation at Saratoga Springs move that resort from rejects from Grandma's attic, to a modern resort.

I like the SSR refurb too. Hoping they do a similar job at BCV although it would still need to be "beachy". No reason it couldn't be "sophisticated beach club".

I stayed at BCV for one night (had always wanted to stay there, and that's the longest I could get - I was moving from GF to SSR - so it was a nice transition).
The biggest complain I had was the carpet - it was beyond gross on the first floor. It looked so covered in dirt and grime that it was beyond cleaning.
The furniture was in OK shape - a little dinged and banged, but not too bad.
The bedspreads are horribly ugly!

The main lobby elevators in the villas were down the entire time I was there. I had to lug my bags up the stairs which wasn't so much fun - you would have through that the cast member would have directed guest with bags to the other elevator instead of he stairs.... but anyway....

There are two sets of elevators at BCV. The bedspreads are gone at BCV and replaced with triple sheeting.

SSR already had darker colors with the darker woods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter