Covid travel UK-US ... or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
im expecting this to last well into next year and can honestly see it being March / April before they even start to relax anything. They will want to get some travel going but not holiday makers.

im expecting this to last well into next year and can honestly see it being March / April before they even start to relax anything. They will want to get some travel going but not holiday makers.

The issue is that the U.S. allow many business activities under the ESTA programme. That is to say, a B-1 Visa is not typically required for UK nationals travelling to the U.S. on business. Hence there is no easy way to allow "non-holiday makers" without changing the Visa programme. I don't see that being realistic as its a lot more complex than it sounds. So I'm fairly confident it will have to be "all or nothing". With the increasingly loud drumbeat of pressure from industry and media attention, I can't see the ban holding for that much longer. But, there have been a lot of surprises along the way, so who knows :D

I don't see that being realistic as its a lot more complex than it sounds.
I think any change falls into this category. They are busy trying to get the US fairly well vaccinated, Delta is being a nuisance and now Afghanistan has gone pear-shaped, so it's much easier just to leave things as-is for now.

I'm not as pessimistic as @chefski (for now) but I don't see them doing much easing before December - and then only if things continue more or less along current trajectories.

I think any change falls into this category. They are busy trying to get the US fairly well vaccinated, Delta is being a nuisance and now Afghanistan has gone pear-shaped, so it's much easier just to leave things as-is for now.

I'm not as pessimistic as @chefski (for now) but I don't see them doing much easing before December - and then only if things continue more or less along current trajectories.
Its only this last week ive become pessimistic, Im obviously hoping im wrong and they open up this year but im not holding my breath :)

Truth be known we will have to wait and see and as my friends tell me my favourite saying is "What will be, will be"

The issue is that the U.S. allow many business activities under the ESTA programme. That is to say, a B-1 Visa is not typically required for UK nationals travelling to the U.S. on business. Hence there is no easy way to allow "non-holiday makers" without changing the Visa programme. I don't see that being realistic as its a lot more complex than it sounds. So I'm fairly confident it will have to be "all or nothing". With the increasingly loud drumbeat of pressure from industry and media attention, I can't see the ban holding for that much longer. But, there have been a lot of surprises along the way, so who knows :D
I didn't know that in which case if its all or nothing then the possibility of opening earlier is bigger. Thats good to know :)

From where to where? So disappointed for you.

It was London Heathrow - Orlando. The flights from Germany to London we’re still valid. But of course useless without the Orlando connection.

I reached someone at BA and the lovely lady told me that the flight got indeed canceled but they have a new one, an earlier one on the exact same day and she would book me on that one. She also had to rebook the flight from Germany to London otherwise I would have had 40 min in LHR to reach the other plane o_O she had to rebook the return flights as well as the Orlando - London flight got canceled, too. So for now it just looks like they are modifying their flight plan.

It was London Heathrow - Orlando. The flights from Germany to London we’re still valid. But of course useless without the Orlando connection.

I reached someone at BA and the lovely lady told me that the flight got indeed canceled but they have a new one, an earlier one on the exact same day and she would book me on that one. She also had to rebook the flight from Germany to London otherwise I would have had 40 min in LHR to reach the other plane o_O she had to rebook the return flights as well as the Orlando - London flight got canceled, too. So for now it just looks like they are modifying their flight plan.
So hopefully your trip will still go ahead. My December flight has been moved forward by 2 hours. And the return flight moved back a similar amount.

So for now it just looks like they are modifying their flight plan.
Probably consolidating part-filled flights.

But so annoying they don't tell you there is an alternative when they cancel one. Poor service ... and sales, since you might have zoomed off and booked with another airline when you got the cancel notification.

We are due to fly on Jan 6th with Aer Lingus and we honestly have no idea at this time what is going to happen. The covid cases in Florida have gone through the roof and we will be treated as part of the European body so no local agreement as they seem to be pushing with the UK after Brexit.

Its hard to know what will happen with Florida having 315,000 cases in a rolling two week period as of yesterday.

We are due to fly on 19th December. Honestly I'm 50/50 about whether it will happen. It will be the third time we have re arranged, so if December gets cancelled, I'm just going to take the refund for the flydrive and re book flights when the borders are re opened.
Our DVC is a whole other issue to sort out though!

We are due to fly on 19th December. Honestly I'm 50/50 about whether it will happen. It will be the third time we have re arranged, so if December gets cancelled, I'm just going to take the refund for the flydrive and re book flights when the borders are re opened.
Our DVC is a whole other issue to sort out though!
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Jan 6th for us but its in 2022 so the 2021 guarantee from Air Lingus is up 6 days before that. We're currently in Limbo to be honest.

Dont know what I will do, due to be there for Christmas but first balance for flights is due in 4 weeks and I dont think my nerves will cope with waiting for news after handing over so much money. Will be hard though if flights do start in November and I have let the flights go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter