CP Job Descriptions Thread

First of all, thanks for the quick response and all your help. A year in Germany sounds incredible!

The computers randomly assign your position though based on who needs a break (or bumping you through rotation you so someone goes on break).

So when you head into work each day, someone (or a computer) will tell you what position your working that day? When you go on break, do you get reassigned or is it that position for the whole shift?

And yes,...the costumes in entertainment are heavy!

How heavy? As heavy as like... a 24 pack of cokes or more? Anymore than that may be a problem for me as I'm quite small. haha.

Also, do you know how long characters are "on stage" at a time? I think I heard it was in 15 minute intervals but I don't really know where I heard that. If I could rest for a minute that often, it wouldn't be a problem how heavy they were I think.

I've never done it but, its easy, they will have a palm pilot style POS to keep track of inventory and how much money was made, and also to help with change, etc you will have a walkie talkie to communicate to a stocker if you need more food/beverages... its pretty easy except you will be outside all day, pulling the cart to a specific location and staying there essentially, its not that difficult a job, I would think.

Just for future reference, in case anyone is looking at this while thinking about doing a DLR CP.

Outdoor Vending/Ventures at the DLR doesn't use the mini MATRA (POS/Cash Register) systems that they use in Outdoor Foods at WDW. There are some stalls that will use the full size MATRA systems. Otherwise, all Cash Handling in that area is done by hand.

How often do you deal with problematic guests completely on your own? Is it policy to always call on a manager to deal with the problem? Is it at your discretion to upgrade guests to better rooms if a problem arrises or will a manager do that?

You do have some leeway to create Guest Service Solutions, a little bit more in roles such as Front Desk/Lobby Concierge/Guest Relations than most others. It very much depends on the situation and what the proposed solution is.

For example, let's say you have a family that got forced out of their room because of a sewage backup which resulted in an overflow, and is now at your Front Desk counter at 3 AM in the morning.

You probably couldn't comp the entire cost of their vacation without getting management involved. However, you could upgrade them to a different room/resort, and issue them comps so that they can get new clothes/luggage to replace the ones they left behind, without getting Management involved (though, you should probably mention it to them, and I'm sure that's somewhere in Resort Operations SOP). If need be, you could (and really should) comp them the cost of that night's stay.

So when you head into work each day, someone (or a computer) will tell you what position your working that day? When you go on break, do you get reassigned or is it that position for the whole shift?

For Attractions, you are rotated (I believe it's supposed to be every 15 minutes or so) through the various positions, so you are certainly not staying in the same position for the length of your shift. It's actually unsafe for an Attractions CM to be in the same position for an extended period of time (since they have to be alert), so you should inform your Coordinator/Lead or a Manager if that were to happen.

First of all, thanks for the quick response and all your help. A year in Germany sounds incredible!

How heavy? As heavy as like... a 24 pack of cokes or more? Anymore than that may be a problem for me as I'm quite small. haha.

Also, do you know how long characters are "on stage" at a time? I think I heard it was in 15 minute intervals but I don't really know where I heard that. If I could rest for a minute that often, it wouldn't be a problem how heavy they were I think.

It has been an amazing experience...but, clearly, so was my time at WDW!

So, everything at Disney is done on a computer. You will clock in and get all assignments on the computer. Someone mentioned rotating every 15 minutes?! I'm not sure what attraction that's for, but not even close to being correct for Safaris! That doesn't mean it's not true for other attractions though. Usually we would be at an assigned position for 1-2 hours before being reassigned. Again, I'm not sure how this works time-wise at other attractions. Most important though, you will likely not be in the same position all day--although it's possible in some spiel attractions.

As for costume weight. I haven't worked costuming for Disney, but I have worked with similar costumes elsewhere and I have a degree in costuming. The weights will vary depending on what you're working on. It's really hard to say. Somedays it could be more, somedays less...it all depends on what you're assigned to do.

I know characters work the same time on and then an equal amout off, but I'm not 100% certain. I used to know this, but I've sadly forgotten. Anyhow, I'm sure someone else remembers this, for sure.

I was perm greeter at Haunted Mansion on the extra hours hotline, but I can confirm that they rotated every 15 mintues. Someone would come out with a slip of paper and hand it to the next person and they would rotate to whatever the paper said.

As for characters, in the hot times I think it's 20min on 40 min off. During cooler times it's more like 30 30 or even 40 20. This is why it's VERY important as an attendant that you make sure you get those characters backstage when they are supposed to. As my fellow campus rep said, it's the only time you directly tell a Disney guest NO and have the full backing of the company, managers, and guest services. He said people yelled at him everyday and threatened to complain, but even if they did, nothing would be done because he is doing what he's assigned to do.

You do have some leeway to create Guest Service Solutions, a little bit more in roles such as Front Desk/Lobby Concierge/Guest Relations than most others. It very much depends on the situation and what the proposed solution is.

For example, let's say you have a family that got forced out of their room because of a sewage backup which resulted in an overflow, and is now at your Front Desk counter at 3 AM in the morning.

You probably couldn't comp the entire cost of their vacation without getting management involved. However, you could upgrade them to a different room/resort, and issue them comps so that they can get new clothes/luggage to replace the ones they left behind, without getting Management involved (though, you should probably mention it to them, and I'm sure that's somewhere in Resort Operations SOP). If need be, you could (and really should) comp them the cost of that night's stay.

Thanks for explaining this! I've been wondering for a while.

In training, do they explain what is reasonable comp for what situation and how to handle the comps or do you get a manager involved until you know most situations? I don't want to be left in the dust as far as what to say..

As for characters, in the hot times I think it's 20min on 40 min off. During cooler times it's more like 30 30 or even 40 20. This is why it's VERY important as an attendant that you make sure you get those characters backstage when they are supposed to. As my fellow campus rep said, it's the only time you directly tell a Disney guest NO and have the full backing of the company, managers, and guest services. He said people yelled at him everyday and threatened to complain, but even if they did, nothing would be done because he is doing what he's assigned to do.

Do they explain how to handle these situations.. like with specific things you tell the guests?

Anyone with experience in the character attendant role: Was this a big offset? I know there are downs to every position but I was really looking into this specific role. I don't know that I want to be yelled at everyday...

Its been a while since this thread was posted on but I figured most of you will be in Orlando around this time in your CP positions and could give real time answers and advice.

I, of course, have a hundred million questions. Ready?

2)On the attractions description on the role checklist, it says attractions is also a "theatre" show. I'm thinking that means Its Tough to be a Bug and Philharmagic, or does that also apply to live shows like B&TB, FOTLK, and Nemo?

Yes, shows fall under attractions. It could be a live show (like Finding Nemo), or a 3-D show (Muppets).

Character attendant:
1) Do you get trained on what to say to questions about why the characters can't talk, etc, or do you make it up as you go along?

2) The role checklist says attendants assist performers with putting on costumes? Does this happen often and can someone tell me what this means? Is it just zipping them up?

Thanks!! I know its a lot but I've been thinking about each of these and I was just waiting until more people had a fresh idea of the roles.

1. Yes you do. They teach you some things to say.

2. Not too often. Usually it just is helping with zipping and tucking. Most can take care of themselves. Most of the assisting takes place out on stage.

It depends on the time of year, and also if the character is inside or outside. If a character is outside, they will be out for 20 minutes (summer) and 30 minutes (winter). If they are inside, they will be out for about 35-45 minutes. Also, the times for a character like Mickey are different from a character like Peter Pan.

Thanks for explaining this! I've been wondering for a while.
Do they explain how to handle these situations.. like with specific things you tell the guests?

Anyone with experience in the character attendant role: Was this a big offset? I know there are downs to every position but I was really looking into this specific role. I don't know that I want to be yelled at everyday...

Yes they do. You go through it in training.

And not really. Yes, you have people complaining. But I can count on one hand how many times people really got upset (and unfortunately 2 of them happened in one day, my last week this summer). If you have any more questions, I can try to answer them. CA is an awsome role.

I was wondering if anyone could give some insight to Full Service Food & Beverage. Are you more likely to work in the parks or the resorts? What are the hours like? Are you going to work with many CPs or more FT CMs?

I was wondering if anyone could give some insight to Full Service Food & Beverage. Are you more likely to work in the parks or the resorts? What are the hours like? Are you going to work with many CPs or more FT CMs?

It could be either. There are plenty at both. In my opinion, I would say chances are a little better for a park one (as there are more there).

And for FSFB, you probably will be working with more FT/PT CMs then CPs.

What's involved in Merchandising? This is my second choice after Full Service Food and Beverage. Has anyone ever done Merchandising before?

What's involved in Merchandising? This is my second choice after Full Service Food and Beverage. Has anyone ever done Merchandising before?

I did merchandise my first CP (Spring 2005). I was mostly in Fantasyland, but also spent 2 weeks each in Liberty Square and Adventureland. I mostly worked the registers, but I also worked the shop floor and assisted the guests. And once in awhile, I did stocking.

Has anybody ever done main entrance operations?

I was accepted into main entrance operations, and i was a door hostess at the night clubs at Pleasure Island for a month (until they closed on Saturday). i scanned tickets, checked id's issued wristbands and kept accurate club counts.

Now I'm working attractions. Space Mountain. They switched my role, I didn't have a choice (not that i'm really complaining). My friends were moved to MK and are still in MEO, they're greeting people at the gates, taking tickets, and helping with parade audience control.

I was accepted into main entrance operations, and i was a door hostess at the night clubs at Pleasure Island for a month (until they closed on Saturday). i scanned tickets, checked id's issued wristbands and kept accurate club counts.

Now I'm working attractions. Space Mountain. They switched my role, I didn't have a choice (not that i'm really complaining). My friends were moved to MK and are still in MEO, they're greeting people at the gates, taking tickets, and helping with parade audience control.

Ok thank you so much! Im still deciding whether or not I want to go. What do you reccomend?

Ok thank you so much! Im still deciding whether or not I want to go. What do you reccomend?

i'd say definitely put it down as one of your options if you're interested in it. it was third on my list, but I still accepted and ended up lucking out and getting my number one pick anyways. I literally just had my first day of training today, so I really can't give any opinions on attractions, but I enjoyed my time as Main Entrance Operations at Pleasure Island. Everyone has different experiences though.

Ooo, you did get Space Mountain! That's exciting! How is training going?

Ooo, you did get Space Mountain! That's exciting! How is training going?

slowly! basically we're all on stroller parking duty for two weeks until they could squeeze us into a training schedule. :( I'll get there eventually!!

i'd say definitely put it down as one of your options if you're interested in it. it was third on my list, but I still accepted and ended up lucking out and getting my number one pick anyways. I literally just had my first day of training today, so I really can't give any opinions on attractions, but I enjoyed my time as Main Entrance Operations at Pleasure Island. Everyone has different experiences though.

Ok thanks!! :)

Newbie here! I have a question for anyone who's been a character attendant. Can you carry a camera around with you to take random pics of your characters and stuff? I notice a lot of people who were character attendants have a whole bunch of pics with their characters so I was just curious :)

Newbie here! I have a question for anyone who's been a character attendant. Can you carry a camera around with you to take random pics of your characters and stuff? I notice a lot of people who were character attendants have a whole bunch of pics with their characters so I was just curious :)

Congrats!! Character attendant is such a fun role. I have done it twice now.

As for cameras, you can. Just be careful of what/when you use it for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter