Crazy direct incentives at BWV

I have a December UY. If they allow a courtesy bank, then I would get 2020 UY points (banked to 2021), 2021 UY points while only paying around 1/12 of maintenance fee (since it’s already November 6). If this works the way I think it does, then the deal is pretty insane.

I don't understand what DVC is doing.

As someone who is not a RIV fan let me walk through a mindset of DVC if they are now saying they are having issues with RIV (I don't think that was the case previously).

They prop up BWV as a "low" price to get people in the door on the Boardwalk. Tell them to check out Riviera before they do anything so send them midday on the Skyliner (when its walk on) over to Riviera. For a tad "less" upfront on the contract they can get an extra 25 years at Rivera at this amazing new resort.

Honestly I think its a sales tactic to get people to buy Riviera. If they were to do this at BCV it wouldn't work because BCV has a killer feature over Rivera which is that big pool.

ROFRed at 140-150.

Also remember maybe a ton of BWV owners took Disney up on selling back their contract? Since Disney was basically offering what they paid likely originally if not more many might not have even thought about it and just took the cash without a google search.

Well after a night of re-crunching numbers and planning out next 3 years of WDW trips, we decided to only get 100 pts at BWV. Let me be clear, this add-on will NOT save us any money and is NOT an investment. This will however allow us to book BWV at 11 months, get the Standard Rooms, and free up our 160 BLT Points for other trips. We have Pre-Paid of BWV Lodging for the next 21 years period! The buy-in cost per point Lifetime is $9.78 (plus yearly MF's) with little hope of any resale return (hence we plan to keep it until it expires). Compare that to our BLT buy-in-cost per point Lifetime of $2.49 (plus MF's), and we can still get a fair resale price should be decide to sell. Sure wish I had done this resale back when you could get BWV for a song.

And so now that we have these extra points, of course we will be going more often. So for 2022, we will be getting the Sorcerer's AP's and they ain't cheap compared to the DVC AP Vouchers I still have saved away from 2011. Again, we are NOT saving any money, and that's alright. We're in our mid-60's, still waiting for grand kids, and we have the funds to enjoy ourselves. And we really enjoy WDW, and BWV now that the Scary Clown is gone!

Even with these 'new' higher costs, our trips to WDW are still a bargain compared to the other vacations we take (River Cruises, etc.). It's just part of the Retirement Life of Leisure mix. Oh and I'm a planner, so my spreadsheets are really going to some serious upgrades and loving attention.

So excited to be BWV owners. Points are already in my account, I've banked into 2022 and booked a Sept 2022 trip (love the low point chart). Interestingly though was that the BWV Standard View Studios went from fully available last night to mostly gone today. I think a lot of people jumped on the incentive bandwagon and are booking.

Congratulations!!! we love BWV, resale owners since 2011.
Standard studios go fast, faster than fast, many are walked. And....because of all of the 2 bedrooms being lockoffs (the ONE major complaint I have w BWV...besides the weird bathroom layout,) 2 bedroom standards are also nearly impossible to get. First time we walked a reservation was to make sure we get our 2 bedroom next June...we never look to book just studios, and it's always been pretty easy to get any view 1 bedrooms.
Enjoy the points, and the wonderful BWV location!!!

Even at 300 points its still around the same price as Riviera. Don't think I would do it.

I’m leaning towards them offering an extension on BWV....but not for another 5 plus years. You really can’t compare OKW to BWV. OKW’s footprint is huge. I don’t think too much thought went into the extension process at OKW. They probably assumed too much. Or perhaps they only intended on keeping a certain amount of buildings intact and doing something different for the rest....either razing the buildings...the no elevator thing is an issue. Maybe replace them with something taller. 😟. Look what they did with parts of CBR.
BWV could be renovated certain sections at a time or certain floors at a time. 12 years ago we would have jumped at an extension offer. But since then we’ve added BLT and RIV.....so this will be our legacy for the kids and grandkids. I’ll be 85 when BWV expires.....I’m hoping I live long enough to see what happens.
I think RIV sales would be much better if not for the pandemic. Too much uncertainty since January 2020 and much fear.
Whatever their plan is, it sure is being kept secret. Maybe they will announce something at the condo association meeting in December.

I’m leaning towards them offering an extension on BWV....but not for another 5 plus years. You really can’t compare OKW to BWV. OKW’s footprint is huge. I don’t think too much thought went into the extension process at OKW. They probably assumed too much. Or perhaps they only intended on keeping a certain amount of buildings intact and doing something different for the rest....either razing the buildings...the no elevator thing is an issue. Maybe replace them with something taller. 😟. Look what they did with parts of CBR.
BWV could be renovated certain sections at a time or certain floors at a time. 12 years ago we would have jumped at an extension offer. But since then we’ve added BLT and RIV.....so this will be our legacy for the kids and grandkids. I’ll be 85 when BWV expires.....I’m hoping I live long enough to see what happens.
I think RIV sales would be much better if not for the pandemic. Too much uncertainty since January 2020 and much fear.
Whatever their plan is, it sure is being kept secret. Maybe they will announce something at the condo association meeting in December.

The only way to extend though is the ground lease and that means that you end up with the same situation with some not deciding to extend. Size of resort isn’t really the issue.

Plus, the extension helps things stay the same for points. I just can’t imagine them doing that when all the newer resorts have higher ones.

Now, I do think there is the possibility we could see them allow people who buy at BWV or BCV new, the opportunity to stay there while they renovate parts of it. Basically given people some extra years. Or, people buy BWV but stay at BCV during renovations? Something creative like that?

They prop up BWV as a "low" price to get people in the door on the Boardwalk. Tell them to check out Riviera before they do anything so send them midday on the Skyliner (when its walk on) over to Riviera. For a tad "less" upfront on the contract they can get an extra 25 years at Rivera at this amazing new resort.

This BW pricing is buried in forums like this. It's hard to even find on the DVC sales website. This isn't getting anyone in the door, and its looks like it still isn't in active sales.

DVC isn't known for this kind of used car salesman tactic, but if they wanted to do it, they already could with Vero.

So, to go back to my point, I don't know why DVC is selling this so cheaply, while simultaneously buying it so high on the other side in ROFR.

The only way to extend though is the ground lease and that means that you end up with the same situation with some not deciding to extend. Size of resort isn’t really the issue.

Plus, the extension helps things stay the same for points. I just can’t imagine them doing that when all the newer resorts have higher ones.

Now, I do think there is the possibility we could see them allow people who buy at BWV or BCV new, the opportunity to stay there while they renovate parts of it. Basically given people some extra years. Or, people buy BWV but stay at BCV during renovations? Something creative like that?
Ok...I’m not well versed in the timeshare rules. What I’m trying to say is they could work on BWV a little at a time. Or they just close it in 2042 and make their upgrades/ changes. Then sell from scratch. I might not even be alive in 2042, but I would break my heart if they razed the whole thing and put up something ugly like Swan and Dolphin.

This BW pricing is buried in forums like this. It's hard to even find on the DVC sales website. This isn't getting anyone in the door, and its looks like it still isn't in active sales.

DVC isn't known for this kind of used car salesman tactic
Yes, I had been thinking the same thing....it shows up on the membership “add on benefits” section. And I’m sure most of the kiosks in the park are pushing Riviera.
Time will tell.

Even at 300 points its still around the same price as Riviera. Don't think I would do it.
Equally lots of people won’t buy RIV for restrictions and point charts.
I think this pricing just brings BWV from a never buy direct position to an interesting alternative to the active sales

Equally lots of people won’t buy RIV for restrictions and point charts.
I think this pricing just brings BWV from a never buy direct position to an interesting alternative to the active sales

Which I find strange as RIV currently is the best deal direct for sleep around points and is close to Epcot/HS. So even with resale restrictions if you sell you likely will actually still get more money back over buying elsewhere.

BWV is only really interesting if you love it. I could have bought cheaper then this current price like 1 year ago and passed then because the expiration date really kills the value (own resale at BWV though).

BWV is only really interesting if you love it. I could have bought cheaper then this current price like 1 year ago and passed then because the expiration date really kills the value (own resale at BWV though).
Agree! Even though we just bought into BWV for $200 pt (100 pts), the math does not support a wise financial decision. At Lifetime Cost per Point of $9.78 plus MF's, this is almost equal to renting point cost. Point of reference: Our BLT Lifetime Point Cost is $2.49/pt plus MF's, and has the potential for a profitable resale down the line. The younger me would be getting a smack down if I had tried this. I'm still in my 10 day back-out window, but buyer's remorse is only at 3/10, and besides, DW would divorce me costing a whole lot more.

Our Top 10 Reasons for Buying BWV Incentive Direct were.... (Drum roll please) :rockband:
1) We love BWV - location, location, location! And Jelly Rolls. And no Scary Clown.
2) Want/need the 11 month booking window.
3) Get our Sept UY. Little to no Sept UY's available Resale.
4) Get a lower 100 pt contract, Very few if any small point contracts available on resale.
5) Get our points now for booking next year. Already booked Sept 2022 Std Studio 9 pts/nt!
6) Free up our 160 BLT pts for other trips. May even sell BLT in future as we get older, keeping BWV to expiration (we'll be 84).
7) Ease of Direct Sale Transaction. So simple and easy to drop $20K plus!
8) Use our Disney VISA 6 mts no interest and Disney Rewards.
9) We had the funds with little to no impact on our long-term retirement budget.
10) and most importantly - because DW said do it! At least she's fine with Studios.

For those really wanting BWV, IMO you'd be better off financially going resale (~$140/pt) if you are patience, desire a larger point contact and really don't care about your UY. Otherwise, cough up the $$ and buy direct like we did. YMMV.

Which I find strange as RIV currently is the best deal direct for sleep around points and is close to Epcot/HS. So even with resale restrictions if you sell you likely will actually still get more money back over buying elsewhere.

I completely agree, just saying RIV isn't for everyone.
The resale market is so inflated atm this becomes an alternative if you are looking to buy it anyway.
Who knows what 2050 will be like, we're just assuming the parks will still be there, VR won't be better than real life experiences or Climate change means July and August are uninhabitable.

I wonder if they are testing waters for different strategies on how to price future resorts if they are going to be conversions like VGF?

I also have a feeling that overall direct sales will show down again like we saw in September.

Agree! Even though we just bought into BWV for $200 pt (100 pts), the math does not support a wise financial decision. At Lifetime Cost per Point of $9.78 plus MF's, this is almost equal to renting point cost. Point of reference: Our BLT Lifetime Point Cost is $2.49/pt plus MF's, and has the potential for a profitable resale down the line. The younger me would be getting a smack down if I had tried this. I'm still in my 10 day back-out window, but buyer's remorse is only at 3/10, and besides, DW would divorce me costing a whole lot more.

Our Top 10 Reasons for Buying BWV Incentive Direct were.... (Drum roll please) :rockband:
1) We love BWV - location, location, location! And Jelly Rolls. And no Scary Clown.
4) Get a lower 100 pt contract, Very few if any small point contracts available on resale.
5) Get our points now for booking next year. Already booked Sept 2022 Std Studio 9 pts/nt!
6) Free up our 160 BLT pts for other trips. May even sell BLT in future as we get older, keeping BWV to expiration (we'll be 84).
9) We had the funds with little to no impact on our long-term retirement budget.
10) and most importantly - because DW said do it! At least she's fine with Studios.

For those really wanting BWV, IMO you'd be better off financially going resale (~$140/pt) if you are patience, desire a larger point contact and really don't care about your UY. Otherwise, cough up the $$ and buy direct like we did. YMMV.
I think reason #10 was probably more like #1 ! :)

DVC isn't known for this kind of used car salesman tactic, but if they wanted to do it, they already could with Vero.

So, to go back to my point, I don't know why DVC is selling this so cheaply, while simultaneously buying it so high on the other side in ROFR.
For potential new members, the Boardwalk offer is pretty visible. The most recent email I received from DVC advertised up to $5800 in savings on Aulani, and said "Plus, enjoy savings at the European-inspired Disney Riviera Resort." As soon as I clicked "Learn more" to see Riviera savings, it led to a page featuring Aulani, Riviera, and Boardwalk incentives. So it's almost like Boardwalk is being featured as much as Riviera.

Side note: I got a DVC information DVD earlier this year and it didn't even mention Riviera (or the Skyliner). Must have been an old one.

It's going to reach a point that it's unsustainable to keep increasing 2042 resort direct prices because the math eventually catches up (e.g. can't easily sell for $300 per point with 10 years remaining). Where that point is, we don't know, but when we reach it Disney will either need to decrease direct prices of 2042 resorts or heavily discount. This feels like Disney testing a heavy discount to see what the effect on sales, both direct AND resale (downward pressure on resale will help lower any buy back costs and of course make direct look closer to a better option(.

Great points! If you want a standard or boardwalk studio at BWV, you have to own it there. We also have a Sept UY and it definitely limits our resale options. Congrats on your direct purchase, enjoy!!

So a 2042 OKW owner is now locked in at 2042? No options to purchase the extension?
I wouldn't be surprised that at some point in the future DVC will offer 2042 owners to extended their contracts 20 2057 again. The first time they offered time around it was not very popular, but as we get closer to 2042 I am sure more people will be interested. DVC does not have to invest anymore $ to do it as all the legal paper work has been done.

I am honestly surprised that it has not already been done with DVC trying to make up to the shutdown.

As we can see with all the incentives and expansion of the Grand HOA DVC is looking at ways to leverage all aspects of make extra revenue vs just pushing new resorts.

Help! I feel like I need an intervention here. Before I did enough research I made a resale offer that I ended up rescinding because the deal was not as attractive as I initially thought. Stripped contract- Then, I got caught up in the whole wanting it now and an easy process so I called my guide and set up a 150 point direct AKV purchase, use year October. Then I started thinking hard again and getting on a couple waitlists for stays early next year. I read some more of these threads and realized once again I could have a better deal if I bought one with a December UY and get the 2020 points banked. Now I’m having thoughts of backing out of this one too in order to do that. I recently got back from WDW and had the opportunity to walk through RIV and thought it was lovely enough. Honestly, I’ve only ever stayed at value and moderates but wanted to treat myself to future stays at all the deluxe resorts, making time to enjoy amenities I’ve always passed up because we’ve always just hit the parks so hard. Not sure what to do. Leaning towards canceling the direct as I’m still within the 10 days or trying to change it to RIV or just forgetting the whole thing and paying out of pocket for future stays. I realize this is probably more of a venting post you all see multiple times over… thanks for listening

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter