Crazy direct incentives at BWV

Help! I feel like I need an intervention here. Before I did enough research I made a resale offer that I ended up rescinding because the deal was not as attractive as I initially thought. Stripped contract- Then, I got caught up in the whole wanting it now and an easy process so I called my guide and set up a 150 point direct AKV purchase, use year October. Then I started thinking hard again and getting on a couple waitlists for stays early next year. I read some more of these threads and realized once again I could have a better deal if I bought one with a December UY and get the 2020 points banked. Now I’m having thoughts of backing out of this one too in order to do that. I recently got back from WDW and had the opportunity to walk through RIV and thought it was lovely enough. Honestly, I’ve only ever stayed at value and moderates but wanted to treat myself to future stays at all the deluxe resorts, making time to enjoy amenities I’ve always passed up because we’ve always just hit the parks so hard. Not sure what to do. Leaning towards canceling the direct as I’m still within the 10 days or trying to change it to RIV or just forgetting the whole thing and paying out of pocket for future stays. I realize this is probably more of a venting post you all see multiple times over… thanks for listening
Umm, frankly, I agree that you should take advantage of the 10 day cooling off period, rescind now, go home and research, consider, research, contemplate, ask questions, think about it! We thought about it for 3 1/2 years before the time was right for us to buy. This is too expensive a purchase to rush into, and the AKV price will be available for a while. Also, don't think December UY so you can get 2020 points - if you ever have to cancel a trip, you'll find out whether your UY is the right one for you or not. You're visiting in November right now - a December UY would be the worst one for trips that are routinely in October or November!

So take advantage of this opportunity to rescind, go home, and think about this carefully.

So a 2042 OKW owner is now locked in at 2042? No options to purchase the extension?

Anyone who bought a 2042 contract on the resale market bought it with the original owners having already signed the deed back to DVD in 2042.

No original owner can sell it without that. So, DVD already owns it for free and thus no need to offer any extension.

It is really only those who bought OKW direct while it was still a 2042 contract but have never signed the quitclaim who are an issue for DVD.

It will be interesting to see what happens then because when the ground lease was extended it extended it for all.

Help! I feel like I need an intervention here. Before I did enough research I made a resale offer that I ended up rescinding because the deal was not as attractive as I initially thought. Stripped contract- Then, I got caught up in the whole wanting it now and an easy process so I called my guide and set up a 150 point direct AKV purchase, use year October. Then I started thinking hard again and getting on a couple waitlists for stays early next year. I read some more of these threads and realized once again I could have a better deal if I bought one with a December UY and get the 2020 points banked. Now I’m having thoughts of backing out of this one too in order to do that. I recently got back from WDW and had the opportunity to walk through RIV and thought it was lovely enough. Honestly, I’ve only ever stayed at value and moderates but wanted to treat myself to future stays at all the deluxe resorts, making time to enjoy amenities I’ve always passed up because we’ve always just hit the parks so hard. Not sure what to do. Leaning towards canceling the direct as I’m still within the 10 days or trying to change it to RIV or just forgetting the whole thing and paying out of pocket for future stays. I realize this is probably more of a venting post you all see multiple times over… thanks for listening

A wise poster here on the Dis gave the advice if you are considering buying DVC, there are two rules:

#1. Read and research as much as you can for at least 6 months before you buy.
#2. Don't buy until you follow rule #1

I agree you should cancel. Please take a look at the point chart for RIV and the maintenance fees over the lifetime of the contract. I also agree December UY is not good for November travel.

Last edited:

Rescind and think. While it’s nice getting some extra points to use right away, your UY needs to fit your travel. The worst thing you can do is get a UY that does not.

Dec UY is not ideal for fall travel and this is about the long game and not the short one.

It’s too much money. Just tell your guide you now need to consider home resort and such and don’t want to make the wrong decision

Umm, frankly, I agree that you should take advantage of the 10 day cooling off period, rescind now, go home and research, consider, research, contemplate, ask questions, think about it! We thought about it for 3 1/2 years before the time was right for us to buy. This is too expensive a purchase to rush into, and the AKV price will be available for a while. Also, don't think December UY so you can get 2020 points - if you ever have to cancel a trip, you'll find out whether your UY is the right one for you or not. You're visiting in November right now - a December UY would be the worst one for trips that are routinely in October or November!

So take advantage of this opportunity to rescind, go home, and think about this carefully.
Thank you for the reply. Along the lines of use year, we also like to get out of the cold of our home state during late winter/early spring . I mostly go to Disney for Food and Wine Fest on Oct. sometimes December as well as Jan,Feb, April breaks but tend to avoid summers. Any advice on use years for those times of year visits?

Thank you for the reply. Along the lines of use year, we also like to get out of the cold of our home state during late winter/early spring . I mostly go to Disney for Food and Wine Fest on Oct. sometimes December as well as Jan,Feb, April breaks but tend to avoid summers. Any advice on use years for those times of year visits?
With your travel pattern, I think September or October UY would work. You would need to bank any points by the end of April or May.

August or September would work well for that travel pattern. I do not recommend October because you may have to walk a reservation for an October F&W reservation or you may want to begin a stay during the last few days of September. August works because you have to cancel at least 31 days in advance to avoid the holding account.

Understanding Use Year

I agree with everyone above - August or September UY would be good for your travel pattern. We don't travel in the summer either (we live where it's just as hot and steamy as in Orlando, so we stay home in the AC) and our September UY has been just right for us.

PS When we bought, we believed we'd travel every year during Thanksgiving week. We did that exactly once, the first year of ownership. After that we've gone mostly during March while we had kids in school, now our empty nest allows us to travel in January and February with occasional big family trips during school breaks. So be prepared for your travel patterns to change over the years, too. Tending to avoid summers is a pattern that's less likely to change than one that's based on Disney's schedule of festivals or races!

It just goes to show that everyone really needs to take the time to contemplate their own travel plans and goals.

We like splitting our stays up, with our longer trips typically in February or March. Being in So Cal, we don't "need" to get away from the cold and don't really like Florida summers. Late winter or early spring is our Goldilocks travel period, and we avoid too many crowds. Ironically, we can always come "home" (to our real home) for warm weather. LOL. Having said that, we actually have all of our points in February UY contracts, which on its face, makes the worst sense. However...

We also like to do a second trip just for F&W, and we do have family and friends who just can't get away because of work or school at any other time other than summer, which "forces" us to schedule a second shorter trip during that period. Because we are in a good travel place financially and flexibility-wise, the likelihood that we'll need to miss that Feb or March trip is much smaller than the summer trip, where we're working around Disney's festival schedules, and family travel availability, etc. If the second trip falls apart, which is more likely due to the extra moving parts, we can always bank our points before the end of September.

We did think about splitting our UY's up, but I like everything in one membership and all the logistical benefits that provides.

I have never once had addonitis in over 10 years of ownership, until now. And it's 100% impossible. Sigh.

Help! I feel like I need an intervention here.

What do you want? To me it feels like you're chasing a deal, but maybe aren't clear on what you want. What do you want? Where do you want to be? How many times do you want to be there? What is your budget for this?

We thought about buying for a decent amount of time, jumped in with what they were selling at the time, and didn't even go to my home resort for 7 years. I travel in February for Princess now, and I have a February UY. If I knew I'd be traveling in that pattern I would have been concerned, but it's just how the chips have fallen.

Oct. sometimes December as well as Jan,Feb, April

It seems that others say a summer UY is good, but to me your travel patterns are all over the place so I personally wouldn't worry about it. But...see above for my way of doing DVC LOL.

Last edited:
realize this is probably more of a venting post you all see multiple times over… thanks for listening

Rescind. If you change your mind, DVC will still be there. This is too big a purchase to not understand and really be comfortable with, ESPECIALLY DIRECT!!!

I don’t view resale as that big of a commitment. If you change your mind in a few years, you sell and no big deal. You bought it resale market value, you sell it resale market value. I only plan to hold a few years, so that matters to me.

You have to decide what matters to you. Maybe you really love riviera or beach club. Maybe you book last minute anyway, so it doesn’t really matter what resort you buy. Maybe you really want the OKW grand villas.

Help! I feel like I need an intervention here.
Good for you for coming to ask! I'll start with the punch line:

Not sure what to do.
If you have any hesitation at all, rescind. Then, take your time to take a breath, slow down, and do your due diligence. If you decide this was the right purchase, you can make it again. It might cost you a few extra dollars, but those dollars might be worth the peace of mind of knowing you made the right decision for you.

read some more of these threads and realized once again I could have a better deal if I bought one with a December UY and get the 2020 points banked.
Honestly? I wouldn't get too worked up about this. Even for a 2042 resort, this is only 5% of the total points in the contract. Yes, it's a nice bonus, but don't let that bonus drive your decision. If October works better for you, get that one.

I recently got back from WDW and had the opportunity to walk through RIV and thought it was lovely enough.
Maybe it's just me, but "lovely enough" doesn't seem like a good reason for a five-figure purchase. I'd rather it be "Wow, I really liked that!"

Honestly, I’ve only ever stayed at value and moderates but wanted to treat myself to future stays at all the deluxe resorts
In my opinion---and reasonable people can disagree about this---you don't yet know you are a good candidate for DVC. I usually recommend three questions for people to ask themselves when they are considering a purchase:

1: Are you confident that you will return to WDW at least every other year for at least the next ten years?
2: When you go, do you mostly stay in Deluxe resorts, sometimes Moderates, but never Value or offsite?
3: Do you have discretionary resources to pay for this without having to finance it, cut into your 3-6 month emergency fund, or cut back on your retirement savings?

If the answer is yes to all three, you are a great candidate for DVC. Otherwise? Maybe, but maybe not. I don't think you can answer yes to #2 yet, so maybe it would be good to try a few Deluxe stays on cash to make sure that you're happy to commit to it long term.

Pick a UY that is the month or two before you would typically travel. So for October travel I would recommend August or Sept UY.

I just thought of this. Last year they brought out a great black Friday sale on top of the ongoing discount. With the great direct sale they brought out already so we think they would add a bonus, and if that happens how many people will be buying Aulani?

I just thought of this. Last year they brought out a great black Friday sale on top of the ongoing discount. With the great direct sale they brought out already so we think they would add a bonus, and if that happens how many people will be buying Aulani?

Do you recall what the Black Friday sale was and was it offered for only one day?

I have a December UY. If they allow a courtesy bank, then I would get 2020 UY points (banked to 2021), 2021 UY points while only paying around 1/12 of maintenance fee (since it’s already November 6). If this works the way I think it does, then the deal is pretty insane.
It does. I just bought 200 BWV 2 days ago with Dec UY. Called member service today and they banked 2020 pts to my 2021 bucket. I am only paying one month due for 2020 use year also but have all of the points. So yes the deal is sweet and I literally saw 400 pts in my account within 48 hours.

Ok, I've been an owner for going on a decade now, and I have never really understood why one use year month is better than any others. Can anyone explain? We typically vacation Oct-Dec, but have also done spring (F&G).

I currently have two contracts, use year Oct has 100 points and Dec has 50. I'm currently contemplating, selling both of those and getting one 150 point contract. I too was going to get a Dec use year so I could get 2020 points. :)

Thanks.

Ok, I've been an owner for going on a decade now, and I have never really understood why one use year month is better than any others. Can anyone explain? We typically vacation Oct-Dec, but have also done spring (F&G).

I currently have two contracts, use year Oct has 100 points and Dec has 50. I'm currently contemplating, selling both of those and getting one 150 point contract. I too was going to get a Dec use year so I could get 2020 points. :)

Thanks.

If you typically vacation in October and November, then October is a much better use year for you than December. You want to be using points in the first 8 months of your use year if you can. This allows you to bank points if your trip gets cancelled. It also allows you more time to use them to rebook before your points expire.

Traveling at the end of your use year just adds more risk, especially in the fall season; availability is very poor to nonexistent for any last minute changes. Additionally, if you were traveling at the end of November and into December, you'd be crossing over use years if you had December. This would complicate booking, and during peak season at that.

For you, October sounds ideal as long as you don't travel in September. It would allow for those fall trips as well as the Flower and Garden trips to all fall before your banking deadline of 5/31.

Edited to add: If your contracts are resale from a decade ago, they have fewer restrictions than points bought today will have. You'll also be almost certainly buying in at a higher rate than what you paid before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter