Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking into the magic ball, does anyone think masks outside will be lifted by the first week of September?

Disagree. They don't need to know exactly how many CM's will come back. They only need to have enough come back to staff the parks at reduced capacity.

No, I don't think that's quite right either. Some worker skills are directly transferable from one place to another with minimal additional training. A custodial CM who normally works in the MK could just as easily work in Epcot. A culinary CM who normally works at Flame Tree BBQ can just as easily work in DHS.
hhmmm
think of it this way
in a normal disney operational day they have F/T P/T seasonal and CP. I know they will open with reduced capacity so they won't need all the CM
Seasonal and CP are not coming back at all right now, probably not through the end of the year
Disney is now recalling all of their F/T back by seniority. The CM can deny to go back due to health concerns for them or if they live with someone who has underlying conditions or are elderly, they will not loose unemployment and they will not loose their job
So that's a good chunk of CM that MIGHT not come back
There are all CMs that have left the company because of the horrid unemployment system (by the way after 5 weeks my DD finally got her first check from them)
so that's another number of CM not available
When they call the F/T back if their original positions are all filled they are asked if they want to go to another position and train there in the meantime. The CM can refuse and still be allowed to keep their job and stay in unemployment, another chunk
They then go down the line with all F/T and then move to P/T and do the same

So no, I think DIsney needs to know the number of CM coming back before they can effectively and truthfully know what they can staff

Last edited:
Disagree. They don't need to know exactly how many CM's will come back. They only need to have enough come back to staff the parks at reduced capacity.

No, I don't think that's quite right either. Some worker skills are directly transferable from one place to another with minimal additional training. A custodial CM who normally works in the MK could just as easily work in Epcot. A culinary CM who normally works at Flame Tree BBQ can just as easily work in DHS.

Right now, many CMs normally used are not available. No college program, no international, no CMs who are in a high risk populations.

Not an easy task to ensure and unless you know how many CMs have accepted to come back...only then can they decide where and what can be operational.

Why does everyone keep thinking the values wont open right away?
I think it boils down to this:
1) They are going to need to consolidate resorts since the levels of on site guests are going to be really low relative to a normal summer. It doesn't make sense to open a bunch of different resorts at very low occupancy. They also probably won't have the staffing from Cast Members available to open all the resorts.
2) The easiest way to make sure most people who are moved from a value or moderate is to move them to a Deluxe resort. People are more likely to be upset if they are just moved to a different resort at the same level.
3) Most of the Deluxes are close to at least one park. A significant amount are walkable to at least one park. This will cut down on the demand for Disney transportation. Lowering the demand on transportation would allow them to run buses at lower occupancy and higher frequency to accommodate some sort of distancing.

Looking into the magic ball, does anyone think masks outside will be lifted by the first week of September?
I think it's really going to depend on what the situation for the virus is by that point. I would be surprised if the mask requirement is removed that soon. I don't think it's likely to happen.

obviously hard to tell but I wouldn't expect it - I think places, especially Disney, will want to err on the side of caution ....and unless there is really clear evidence that a 2nd wave won't come I think restrictions will be around for a while

But it is possible - especially if the social distancing goes really well, then maybe they can lift them being required outdoors. I wouldn't expect it but if it happens then that is an added bonus

The thinking is that the All-Stars wouldn't open since they are so far away and only accessible to parks via buses. Disney is probably trying to severely limit the amount of bus transportation they need to use. They probably will run buses, half-full. Between that and limited capacity, they would have to probably run way too many buses to the "far out" resorts like the All-Stars .. OR else the guests would have to wait WAY too long to be convenient for the next bus.

I can't see them lasting more than a month or two. People are going to get more and more comfortable with being out and about locally, and if masks aren't required "back home" then there will be resistance/annoyance/non-compliance at the parks and it will just be too hard to manage without upsetting your paying guests.

If anything they may drop the silliness of requiring them outside.

It will be interesting to see how things transpire once the park opens. You know there will be tons of people pushing the limits, removing masks or pushing them down off the nose/mouth for a while, scolded by CMs or other guests for not wearing it or wearing it correctly, leading to arguments, etc. It won't be pretty. I could see some changes if the pushback becomes intense. Perhaps modifying it to only requiring it in queues and stores/indoors. Or eventually flipping to recommending it rather than requiring it, like how Legoland is approaching it.

Does anyone happen to know when we should be seeing refunds for prepaid, cancelled reservations? Has anyone seen refunds yet?
I have a cabana rental I paid upfront for, it's gone in MDE but I haven't seen a refund show up yet.

Our pirates dessert voyage disappeared a few days ago but no refund on our card yet. I imagine the credit might be slow to show up but who knows....

Our refund posted this morning. Pleased by how quickly it came.

In the immediate future, because they don’t need to have them open. They can move them to other resorts and reduce costs. Personally, I think any closure of every resort in each level is going to be very short term, if at all. I think they’re going to open 1 resort on each level and fully opening resorts where they have DVC attached.

At least I hope. If they don’t open values and mods quickly, it’s not going to be much fun booking a resort when all you have to choose from are DVC rack rates.

That said, the idea they’re only opening DVC in the beginning is based on rumor, 3rd hand information and speculation right now.

I called on Sunday for a refund on my park tickets and it was posted this morning.

I can't see them lasting more than a month or two. People are going to get more and more comfortable with being out and about locally, and if masks aren't required "back home" then there will be resistance/annoyance/non-compliance at the parks and it will just be too hard to manage without upsetting your paying guests.

If anything they may drop the silliness of requiring them outside.
I disagree. I think Disney and UO will be among the last in the nation to reduce the need for masks. I wouldn’t be surprised for the requirement to last through the end of the year, if not into 2021. They are always going to err on the extreme side of caution.

Just like with the cruise industry. I wouldn’t be surprised for the DCL to be the LAST cruise line to resume operations once cruises start to sail again. They’ll also be the most restrictive once they do resume.

It will be interesting to see how things transpire once the park opens. You know there will be tons of people pushing the limits, removing masks or pushing them down off the nose/mouth for a while, scolded by CMs or other guests for not wearing it or wearing it correctly, leading to arguments, etc. It won't be pretty. I could see some changes if the pushback becomes intense. Perhaps modifying it to only requiring it in queues and stores/indoors. Or eventually flipping to recommending it rather than requiring it, like how Legoland is approaching it.
@Jrb1979 curious what was funny about my above post? Its naïve to think people aren't going to become combative or push the limit when it comes to the masks. Its already happening elsewhere.

@Jrb1979 curious what was funny about my above post? Its naïve to think people aren't going to become combative or push the limit when it comes to the masks. Its already happening elsewhere.
My hope is we‘re finally going to see Disney have some backbone and stand up for their rules. Disney is a private company, can require whatever they like, and traveling to WDW right now is a choice and a privilege. If you don’t follow their rules, you should be removed from the property, simple as that.

Do people seriously not realize this has always gone on? DVC resorts in particular will have people have all sorts of different amounts.

Rack rate, discounted rack rate (sometimes very heavy discounts), point rentals, owners on their own points, and possibly even people being comped/upgraded. It can swing by hundreds and hundreds of dollars a night.

That's what I was thinking. People get walked to different resorts and surprise upgraded all year long for all sorts of reasons from overbooking to unexpected room maintenance. Excited recipients often make a thread about it in the Resorts forum. Not sure why people are so flabbergasted now.

I guess I don't think that. I know the assumption is dramatically reduced occupancy, but with Deluxes/DVC, it would have to be extremely reduced and I have yet to see anything confirming those are the goal numbers. Maybe they are, but If the resort goals were something like 40 or 50% occupancy, which is still very low, they'd have to have a value and moderate(s).

It feels like the ones that don't want to wear masks are the ones who keep saying it will end soon.

I don't think it's going to be gone by September just cause guests don't want to wear them. Its simple if you don't want to wear a mask then don't go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter