Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the biggest curiosities to me will be what the resorts look like after park closing. With all parks closing early, EVERYONE on property will have no option but to go to Disney Springs, or go hang at a resort (most frequently their own). If the limited open resorts are booked to nearly 100% capacity, that's a lot of people that are trying to access pools, restaurants and bars/lounges. If those limited locations are then limited in capacity for social distancing, I forsee a lot of people relegated to sitting in their rooms after park close.

For me, if we are able to rebook for July, I will go with a positive outlook and the trip will be what we make of it. Walk around, explore resorts, relax in a lounge when we can get it, etc. We can still have an amazing trip. Just sayin'... the resorts after park close could be a difficult place to find a place to exist.

My ONLY concern for potential upgrades is being crowded. I would personally be stressed if BLT and BRV were packed to the gills right now.

I don’t think they would crowd the resorts they’re filling, if this does happen. I think they would keep distancing in mind. Mind you, some resorts can absorb crowds better than others and it may go somewhat unnoticed.

They could probably fill BLT, for example, as the transportation and food location are built to accommodate people from both BLT and Contemporary. Pool would probably be the main concern. BWV could probably be filled, everything at that resort including the pool is meant to handle crowds from the inn side as well. I feel like elevators are the most crowded part of that resort 😂.

I think it’s the dedicated DVC resorts that could be more of an issue, but then again doesn’t DVC operate sold out year round?

My ONLY concern for potential upgrades is being crowded. I would personally be stressed if BLT and BRV were packed to the gills right now.
Yes I could see this as a potential problem given the reduced park hours. The evenings at the resorts will hectic with all the resorts closing between 6PM - 9PM. It will still be daylight and people will either go to DS or stay at resort and eat or swim. Going to be interesting social distancing at the resorts in the evening.

The thinking is that the All-Stars wouldn't open since they are so far away and only accessible to parks via buses. Disney is probably trying to severely limit the amount of bus transportation they need to use. They probably will run buses, half-full. Between that and limited capacity, they would have to probably run way too many buses to the "far out" resorts like the All-Stars .. OR else the guests would have to wait WAY too long to be convenient for the next bus.

Plus they have indicated in the information that resort closures remain a possibility and with the parks being limited in capacity, the number of on-site guests will need to be strategically placed to maximize the use of staff and operating costs, given that limits are in place,

So, having say a DVC resort like RIV...which is owned primarily by Disney still sit 50 to. 69% open while the same value sits that way, it makes sense to keep one closed and move guests,

Since DVC resorts have to open due to the nature of being a timeshare...there are certainly ones that lend themselves well to that type of plan

Of course, no one knows how long it will take for WDW to increase capacity in parks, but IMO, I think that will be the factor in when they begin to open up more than just DVC

Me either... but in all honesty I’ve never encountered anyone who has mentioned they were upgraded from another resort on any of my Disney trips.
I kept my upgrade from the AOA suites to a 2br villa at OKW on the quiet...I didn't want to be shunned by the big money players over there. :scared: Then there was that upgrade to CL at the Yacht Club...I may or may not have screamed when they told me about it, but once there, I just pretended I was rich too. :)

I don’t think they would crowd the resorts they’re filling, if this does happen. I think they would keep distancing in mind. Mind you, some resorts can absorb crowds better than others and it may go somewhat unnoticed.

They could probably fill BLT, for example, as the transportation and food location are built to accommodate people from both BLT and Contemporary. Pool would probably be the main concern. BWV could probably be filled, everything at that resort including the pool is meant to handle crowds from the inn side as well. I feel like elevators are the most crowded part of that resort 😂.

I think it’s the dedicated DVC resorts that could be more of an issue, but then again doesn’t DVC operate sold out year round?

Correct...but the thing we are to privy too is how many rooms are taken out of DVC inventory to use for other types of stays. We don’t know the breakage or trade inventory, as well as how.many points from ROFR contracts Disney has.

For example, if Disney owns say 100,000 points at SSR, they can pull 100,00 points worth of rooms for July and August and still be within the rules.

All that can be pulled from what owners can book, which gives Disney a lot of rooms to fill, if they decided to move guests from closed resorts to open resorts during a phased reopening

My hope is we‘re finally going to see Disney have some backbone and stand up for their rules. Disney is a private company, can require whatever they like, and traveling to WDW right now is a choice and a privilege. If you don’t follow their rules, you should be removed from the property, simple as that.
That's kind of my point - I would not be surprised if Disney caves to the pressure if intense pushback is received. But the Orlando theme parks will need to remain a united front. I feel like if retail stores and grocery stores start loosening their requirements around masks, Disney will either have to follow suit or face some controversy. And after the losses they've had this year, they'll need to weigh whether they can tolerate that. At the end of the day, they are still a for profit business and ALL for profit businesses are trying to find a balance between safety and staying afloat. Its a no win situation.

It feels like the ones that don't want to wear masks are the ones who keep saying it will end soon.

I don't think it's going to be gone by September just cause guests don't want to wear them. Its simple if you don't want to wear a mask then don't go.
That's an over generalization. Am I thrilled about wearing a mask in the summer heat? Not particularly, but its not a deal breaker for me. I will not be one of the ones pushing back or breaking the rules on it, and I'm in full agreement that one should follow the rules or not go/be removed. But looking at the bigger picture, my point is only that their decisions will depend on greater factors too, including what the majority of their customer base is demanding and whether its feasible depending on the status of things at that time. No one has any idea what that will be come September or the stance Disney will take at that time.

And one could argue that it’s naive to think Disney will not enforce the mask rule, especially when it’s a stipulation in the union agreement that guests must wear them. I don’t think they’re going to loosen mask restrictions just because people won’t comply. I think Disney is going to take mask enforcement seriously. It is true that in many past situations CMs do not enforce rules or challenge guests, but I think people are going to be surprised at how seriously Disney takes mask enforcement. They’re opening in the middle of a pandemic, after all.
I never said they wouldn't enforce the mask rule - my question is around how long will they. I think you may have missed some of my point. Its not about enforcement, its about taking their go forward approach month by month or even week by week. If their bottom line is significantly impacted because people aren't going with the restrictions in place, there will come a point when they need to re-think some of the restrictions. Which may actually be legitimate at some point depending on the current factors and climate at that time.

In other words, no one in March would have predicted where we are today in June. To say this will be in place in through the end of the year is simply a matter of opinion. There's too many factors at play for anyone to say at this point.

Anyone still not gotten the email yet?
just wanted to let you know,I had booked the bounceback offer last Aug for my upcoming trip in September. I have two rooms at All-star Music and just checked this morning and my balance was adjusted to reflect the 35% off plus the cash portion of my dining plan upgrade. The saving was $1400 between both rooms with four adults. My tickets still show the parkhopper option at this time. I know there have been rumors of no parkhopping but there has been nothing official from Disney yet. I'm hopeful that parkhopping will be an option by September, but we will see. Just so you know, I never received ONE e-mail from Disney, it just updated automatically.

Why would some guests prefer not to be upgraded? As you go up in resort class QS tends to have fewer food options, or not even be available. Guests with 4 in a room might not consider a move to a DVC unit with a pull out couch as the second bed an upgrade.
I can give you a reason. If I were at AOA or maybe even Pop and was being moved to a Deluxe like Saratoga Springs, I'd be upset. AOA and Pop both have access to the Skyliner, which I think they'll utilize by going every other car. I could even see Caribbean being open for that reason.

One of the biggest curiosities to me will be what the resorts look like after park closing. With all parks closing early, EVERYONE on property will have no option but to go to Disney Springs, or go hang at a resort (most frequently their own). If the limited open resorts are booked to nearly 100% capacity, that's a lot of people that are trying to access pools, restaurants and bars/lounges. If those limited locations are then limited in capacity for social distancing, I forsee a lot of people relegated to sitting in their rooms after park close.

For me, if we are able to rebook for July, I will go with a positive outlook and the trip will be what we make of it. Walk around, explore resorts, relax in a lounge when we can get it, etc. We can still have an amazing trip. Just sayin'... the resorts after park close could be a difficult place to find a place to exist.

Good point - my thinking is there will still be limits to the capacity. Just that they would consolidate so the resorts used at at like 60% capacity each, vs opening all resorts and them each being at 30% capacity

Why would some guests prefer not to be upgraded? As you go up in resort class QS tends to have fewer food options, or not even be available. Guests with 4 in a room might not consider a move to a DVC unit with a pull out couch as the second bed an upgrade.

This is all very true and maybe in this instance...I think I am guilty of it...the word upgrade should not be being used,

IF this plan of moving guests to.open DVC resorts if the guests resort remains closed during the stay happens, it is not being done to upgrade a guest. It is being done due to phased reopening. It would be simply to give cash guests another option instead of out right cancel...assuming it does happen...and yes, I am putting these disclaimers in here on purpose.

If the Information that guests will not be given a choice if moved ends up as part of any move, then I agree, it is not going to be considered an upgrade,

It would simply give the guest an option other than canceling. Many guests could very well decide to cancel.

Apparently $135 is bit of a deal for an All Star Resort to begin with. I just checked rack rates 😳, when did that happen?? Maybe they shouldn’t be advertising that rate at any of the resorts.
We booked all star music and for three of the days we are there the price is $117! We have five in one room as our fifth is 2..... cramped I know but we don’t usually spend much time in our rooms...... it’s an even better deal when you book the free dining which we did....so bummed about that..... however if we get 35% off and the park hoppers portion is taken off we will be able to manage the food budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter