Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a pandemic before where they closed off all the resorts and had NBA players stay where they wanted on property? That’s news to me
9-11 and downturn. I said situation "like" this.. not same situation

The players in every league are being forced to live in a bubble for the remainder of their season. Just because they’d be staying on Disney property doesn’t mean they’re being given free reign of the entire propert. You’re not going to see NBA players going to Magic Kingdom after their games. The reason Disney, and Vegas are being discussed is because they can house the players due to the resort space while having usable courts nearby

I'm a person who is planning to NOT visit a theme park this summer, due to the coronavirus. That said I don't think Universal opening now is wrong, per se, or that Disney waiting is wrong. This is such a complicated situation. People's jobs and livelihoods are on the line. People need to work, we simply can't just close up everything forever. That said, as a person with the privilege of being able to socially distance and still earn an income, in a household full of such people, I'm also acutely aware that opening up isn't being done because it is safe. If I have the luxury of avoiding this illness for now, I'm not going to go out of my way to expose myself to risk and then perhaps spread it to people who are vulnerable, or risk having an adverse reaction myself.

I am comfortable with some level of risk, but I won't be going to a theme park at all this summer. But I might be an anomaly as a Universal fan. I think the average Universal guest is pretty different from the average Disney guest, in age demographics, tolerance to wearing a face mask, etc. It makes a lot of sense that Universal would open sooner, while Disney would rather wait. There isn't a right or wrong or bad or good in my view, they each have to operate according to their own risk levels.

I am going to contact Universal on Monday and see what can be done about my annual pass, but I have every reason to believe that they will absolutely work something out for me. They are AMAZING to their annual passholders, they have always gone above and beyond with their customer service.

My hesitation about traveling in general this summer has a lot to do with what happens with these reopening phases. Most of us know what our own states are planning (and probably what FL is planning as well.)

What we don’t know is what happens if #s increase/hot spots emerge and what the plan is then...

Being that I’m from CT and am currently urged to self quarantine for 14 days if I travel to FL (as well as residents from NY,NJ,&LA) perhaps makes me more aware that moving forward there must be a plan in place to identify quickly and to restrict movement from any location of worry. Also to ease/change those restrictions as needed.

Right now it appears Phase 2 allows non-essential travel to resume but in CT that is likely around 6/20. What about other states?

Disney has got to see this as a problem especially since international travel will be nill to none. First and foremost people need to be unrestricted to head to the parks. But then what happens if

1. FL becomes a hotspot and they have to close. Do they kick you out? Offer refunds?
  2. Any number of states close travel down to essential travel only again? Perhaps mine or yours....
  3. “You” arrive at WDW and the next day your state of residence is identified as a hotspot.Do they restrict you from their property/parks? Refund you? What portion?
This is only a few of the scenarios I have thought of when considering whether or not to proceed with our vacation in August (reserved last Sept-DVC).

It comes before the “what are the modifications questions” we all have. And I’m sure it plays a huge role in WDW considerations of reopening and when.
At the end of the day only travel this summer if you can roll with those punches, if that’s not practical for you stay in your home state. (Not being rude, just practical, there’s nothing wrong with a home state vacay!)

The players in every league are being forced to live in a bubble for the remainder of their season. Just because they’d be staying on Disney property doesn’t mean they’re being given free reign of the entire propert. You’re not going to see NBA players going to Magic Kingdom after their games. The reason Disney, and Vegas are being discussed is because they can house the players due to the resort space while having usable courts nearby
If NBA resumes at WDW (and I think it will.)
I agree players and regular guests won't be visiting the parks together.

I can certainly see WDW hosting after hour parties for the players in the parks.

I can certainly see WDW hosting an after hour parties for the players in the parks.

Sure, that could absolutely happen, especially if Disney follows Universal with shorter opening hours. But anyone that thinks only one of the two (NBA OR normal guests) can occur, hasn’t really been paying attention to the goings on with the major sports planning on resuming play. If NBA players were being given free reign of anything and anywhere they wanted, then they would have just continued their seasons being able to play from their home states

The NBA and Disney aren’t worried about someone sneezing from allergies in Adventureland and those droplets flying 10+ miles and hitting Lebron James all the way over in the WWoS and making him sick

I can certainly see WDW hosting after hour parties for the players in the parks.
That’s still not a true bubble though, and the NBA isn’t taking risks with so many highly paid players. If they let them in a park that has not been quarantined itself they still risk coming in contact with germs they otherwise wouldn’t if they stayed in their bubble. Besides, the players are there to work not go out and have a vacation.

That’s still not a true bubble though, and the NBA isn’t taking risks with so many highly paid players. If they let them in a park that has not been quarantined itself they still risk coming in contact with germs they otherwise wouldn’t if they stayed in their bubble. Besides, the players are there to work not go out and have a vacation.

If the NBA plays at WDW they will most definitely be granted access to the parks.

Its been a rough few months for me. I'm physically and mentally drained I'm sorry I come off harsh. I had have to work around people through this and seeing so many just not care to follow physical distancing upsets me. When I see the few on here mentioning ways to get around social distancing rules at Disney it saddens me.

Like I said I had planned to take my 7 month old to Disney in the next year before this all started. I joined this site cause I love amusement parks Disney included. Lately seeing how some of you act on here it's taken some of that away.
Hang in there. WDW will be there for your baby in the future and will probably be better to go later. My daughter went at 10 months for the first time. We had to cancel her Sweet 16 trip in April. We are rescheduled to end of August but we all agree we might just be better off waiting a while
I’ve lurked on this board for years and it has been an invaluable resource. So many people sharing so much helpful info. People are not at their most rational right now (me included) so I’m trying not to take any of the bluster I see too seriously. We’ve all just had enough. Be well

Associated Press is saying (within the last hour or so) the NBA is in final discussions for a late July start for the resumption of their season at WDW.

Longish article.. will link if anyone wants it. Not allot that hasn’t already been revealed, just a timeframe for the start and a bit about testing for covid19 which seems to be a bit of a sticking point...

so what is the time frame for retraining and the tournament? if we are talking 45 to 60 days is it really practical to have families in hotel rooms for that period of time?

Associated Press is saying (within the last hour or so) the NBA is in final discussions for a late July start for the resumption of their season at WDW.

Longish article.. will link if anyone wants it. Not allot that hasn’t already been revealed, just a timeframe for the start and a bit about testing for covid19 which seems to be a bit of a sticking point...
Late July - when did we see those gran destino tower reservations get cancelled?

If the NBA plays at WDW they will most definitely be granted access to the parks.

If there’s continuous cleaning, and they close the parks at 6pm to normal guests, turn around and open the parks at 10pm to a couple of teams, giving a few CMs more hours, I could definitely see that happening. But if it’s an either or situation, then they’d have to close Disney Springs to guests too since if you’re giving free reign to the players, you can’t have them interacting with guests at DS

It's Disney. JMO-- Disney and the NBA would work pretty hard to find a restricted middle ground (small area, limited rides) that would be acceptable for a few hours of private event fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter