• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Cruising the Dream on our 1st cruise ever!!! (5 Night Double Dip)

i'm just starting to read your trip report, but wanted to tell you already how much i'm enjoying it so far!!!!

thanks for taking the time to share it with us!!!! :goodvibes

Very enjoyable TR..thanks for writing it and all the wonderful photos! That's too bad you got so sick on the last day. Very cool that you have some great new trips in the works:thumbsup2

Thank you so much for following along :)

I'm a little unsure of how the upcoming trip will go. I had the 'brilliant' idea to invite my DB and SiL since they havnt been to WDW in over ten years. Well now I am feeling the pressure of making sure they have fun and get the most out of it. They wouldn't know where to start planning anyway. I know I need to just go with the flow and have fun myself. We'll see, I think I've changed my mind and will do a TR for that one also.

i'm just starting to read your trip report, but wanted to tell you already how much i'm enjoying it so far!!!!

thanks for taking the time to share it with us!!!! :goodvibes

Welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying it :) I was really surprised long it ended up being and how many links I got on that first page.

Please feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

I am so sorry that you got sick at the end of your vacation, but I am glad that it did not spoil your last day.

Thanks again for sharing your vacation with us. I enjoyed reading along and looking at all the photos.

Corinna

Just got caught up with your last two days of the trip.

I know you had said earlier you wished you had a better camera, but man, you got some REALLY great shots of flowers and animals. I think your camera is pretty darn good!

Ugh, that really stinks about your cold. And how crazy that it came on hard right as you were headed home. But i'm really happy that this did not happen during the middle of your trip.

Wow! Can't believe your TR is over :sad2: Soooo, will there be a PTR link here soon?? :)

I am so sorry that you got sick at the end of your vacation, but I am glad that it did not spoil your last day.

Thanks again for sharing your vacation with us. I enjoyed reading along and looking at all the photos.

Corinna

Thank you :) I really enjoyed sharing the adventure. I would chuckle at myself, because there were times on the trip I'd think 'I have to get a photo of this for my TR'.

I'm so glad it didn't ruin the last day, I was really lucky.

Just got caught up with your last two days of the trip.

I know you had said earlier you wished you had a better camera, but man, you got some REALLY great shots of flowers and animals. I think your camera is pretty darn good!

Ugh, that really stinks about your cold. And how crazy that it came on hard right as you were headed home. But i'm really happy that this did not happen during the middle of your trip.

Wow! Can't believe your TR is over :sad2: Soooo, will there be a PTR link here soon?? :)

Thank you! I think it did a great job, and am not getting rid of it, but I really would like a better zoom for the animals at the resort. I need to do a bit more research before I decide on something, but I'd love to have one for my next trip.

It was so bizarre, but I'm so glad it waited until that evening to get really bad. The scratchy throat was a warning, but I was hoping I was imagining it.

I don't know if I have enough to share to do a PTR for the September trip, but I do think I've decided to do a TR. Who knows what kind of trip I have in store for myself.

Thank you! I think it did a great job, and am not getting rid of it, but I really would like a better zoom for the animals at the resort. I need to do a bit more research before I decide on something, but I'd love to have one for my next trip.

It was so bizarre, but I'm so glad it waited until that evening to get really bad. The scratchy throat was a warning, but I was hoping I was imagining it.

I don't know if I have enough to share to do a PTR for the September trip, but I do think I've decided to do a TR. Who knows what kind of trip I have in store for myself.

Yay! I'm glad you'll be doing a TR for your Sept trip! :banana: You do such a great job at writing and taking pics. :thumbsup2

Thank you everyone for all your kinds words. This was definitely more work than I thought it would be, but I'm so glad I stuck with it and figured out photobucket, which was the hardest part for sure.

I wanted to share some thoughts and tips I came across while researching, and some I came up for myself.

First and foremost, if you're considering doing a Disney Cruise, DO IT! It was absolutely amazing. I know a lot of people have a thoroughly enjoyable time on other cruise lines, but I don't think I'm going to chance it since DCL was so fabulous. If it comes to a point where I would like to visit someplace that DCL doesn't go, I'll rethink the situation, but for now it's DCL all the way for me.

We never felt overwhelmed or annoyed by children, not once. Disney does an absolutely fabulous job of separating areas for everyone. We have nothing against children by any means, it was just nice to have some peace and quiet sometimes.

Take some refillable water bottles to be able to store some soda/juice in your stateroom. The cups provided are not very big and are paper. I don't like to store in paper cups because they tend to disintegrate after a while.

Make sure you go over the Daily Navigator so you don't miss a potential fun activity.

I really enjoyed all events on Pirate Night. The first one that is advertised for the younger folks was so much fun and the later ones also fabulous.

If it's your first cruise or first time on one of the ships I recommend doing the ship tour offered on the first day. You get to know the layout of the ship, and meet some of the CMs in a way you wouldn't unless they're on your team for the trip.

If you're in the mood for a larger serving of icecream you can always get a cup from the beverage station which is bigger than the icecream cups.

I'll be taking a pump soap dispenser in the future, because I do not like bar soap for hand washing.

One of the most excellent tips I discovered was to take one of those triangle like air fresheners for the bathroom. The kind that you open that has that gel like stuff inside. That will be an absolute must on every trip, very nice to have.

At least get a one day Rainforest Room pass to see how wonderful the place is. We'll definitely be getting a full length pass for the next trip so we will be able to pop in whenever we want.

I bought some used army duffle bags on EBay for only $12.50 each including shipping that I'll be packing inside my luggage in case I come back home with more than I went with. I'm going to throw all the dirty clothes in the duffle bag and have my suitcase for whatever extras I might have, purchases, FE gifts, that sort of thing. This has never been a problem on any of my other trips so have never had to have more luggage...

Take some blank notecards to write a nice thank you note to include with your tip envelopes. I thought this was a really nice thought and glad I came across that advice.

There's no need to line up early for your dinners, you have a pre-assigned table. It's almost better to go 5-10 minutes late so you miss the line completely.

Do not be afraid to ask for any special requests at dinner, your serving team wants you to be happy. If you don't like something please don't suffer with it, request something else.

Order as many items off the menu you want, this is the place to try new things. The servers do not even bat an eye if you request more than one dish.

If you don't feel like going to your assigned dinner you can always go to Cabanas, they transform into a sit down for dinner and you can walk in with no notice.

Do a sit down breakfast, it was a very nice way to start the day. We thoroughly enjoyed eating outside at Cabanas, but we'll be factoring in more sit down breakfasts for the next cruise.

If you can, don't leave Shutters until the last evening. Go the second to last night if you can, it was an absolute mad house on the last evening.

Definitely go to Serenity Bay. If you're traveling with kids you can leave them at either Scuttles Cove or Monstro's Point for a while and enjoy some tranquility.

Try a Konk Kooler on Castaway Cay.

But above and beyond everything, go with the flow and enjoy your vacation. If you don't get to an activity, there's always the next cruise :)

Thanks for all the amazing tips, you can be sure I will refer to this list many times before our cruise next year! Thanks for helping our decision along!:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Thanks for all the amazing tips, you can be sure I will refer to this list many times before our cruise next year! Thanks for helping our decision along!:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

I'm so glad you were able to convince DH :) please ask any questions if I didn't cover anything. I found the DCL Passporter a fabulous tool, and read as many TRs I could find.

This trip I was in hog heaven :cloud9: I couldn't have asked for anything more, and watched that beautiful hog until it was gone from view. I couldn't bear to leave until I couldn't see it any longer.

Would that be Red River Hog Heaven?

I wanted to share some exciting news. I just booked a cruise on the Magic this morning. :banana: It's the exact itinerary as the cruise we just did, and as far as I can tell, it's the only double dip in 2013. ( 10/20/13 ) I could be wrong, but even so, I decided to go for it. I'm really excited to see the differences between the newer and older ships.

Wonderful News :dance3::dance3::dance3:

Thank you for the beautiful update and all the wonderful information.

So sorry to hear that you got so sick in the end.

Here's to the next one...

Wonderful News :dance3::dance3::dance3:

I'm really excited! The only problem is I now have to push Hawaii back until 2014. I was planning on going for two weeks next Fall but alas, I have too many trips I want to do. I could still do a short trip but I'm figuring about $1000 to fly so I better make the most of it.

Thank you for the beautiful update and all the wonderful information.

So sorry to hear that you got so sick in the end.

Here's to the next one...

Thank you for following along, I really enjoyed sharing it.

Now if I get sick next trip I know I have some kind of curse :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter