Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

oh-ohhh....David's emailed me this morning asking if I would change the guest's name on a reservation. There was no "we'll give you $2 per point for your troubles" so I replied they could send me the details and asked if the $2 per point compensation was still in place. I haven't heard back all day. For past reservation updates they emailed me with new guest's details as soon as I said yes.

I hope funds are not drying up. I hope I will still get my 30% at check in date 😟😟😟

oh-ohhh....David's emailed me this morning asking if I would change the guest's name on a reservation. There was no "we'll give you $2 per point for your troubles" so I replied they could send me the details and asked if the $2 per point compensation was still in place. I haven't heard back all day. For past reservation updates they emailed me with new guest's details as soon as I said yes.

I hope funds are not drying up. I hope I will still get my 30% at check in date 😟😟😟
You want $2 per point extra for a simple phone call which will help out your previous renters? Really?

You want $2 per point extra for a simple phone call which will help out your previous renters? Really?

Calling DVC member services right now is not simple. My last call (maybe 3 weeks ago) was approximately 3 hours of constant attempts and receiving a busy signal. As in I called, got a busy signal, and immediately redialed, and got a busy signal. Repeat literally hundreds of times. Then once I did get connected it was maybe 80-90 minutes of hold.

That is half a day I am not at work, not able to play with my kid, watch a movie etc.

First of all, the OP doesn't say that s/he wants 2$ before doing anything, but only inquired if it would be on the table. But I am sure all all informed owners would expect this payment, because we are aware that that is what David's has offered in the very recent past. So what! The change will more that double the work the owner has to go through, because instead of just making an online booking, you have to call MS and that is a nightmare right now.

Well, I've done it three times already. The first two did really did take a good portion of the day. Waiting on hold, disconnected, busy signals, repeat-for over 4 hours each time. Fortunately, I have a job that allows me to be tied up on the phone without a problem. I don't imagine everyone's workplace can allow it.

Since you bring it up, I stated first in my reply, "Yes, send me the new guest's info." I then asked in a second paragraph if they were still offering the $2. I will do it no matter their answer but given it was offered regularly in the past I thought it worth the inquiry. Who doesn't want a couple hundred bucks?

I think you may be suggesting I reside in a lower moral rung that you do...pretty judgmental and really such a useless comment. My concern in posting is not getting the 30% balance and I am looking to encourage anyone experiencing this to post. This, I think is coming at some point, dependent on David's revenue.

Last edited:
Well, I've done it three times already. The first two did really did take a good portion of the day. Waiting on hold, disconnected, busy signals, repeat-for over 4 hours each time. Fortunately, I have a job that allows me to be tied up on the phone without a problem. I don't imagine everyone's workplace can allow it.

Since you bring it up, I stated first in my reply, "Yes, send me the new guest's info." I then asked in a second paragraph if they were still offering the $2. I will do it no matter their answer but given it was offered regularly in the past I thought it worth the inquiry. Who doesn't want a couple hundred bucks?

I think you may be suggesting I reside in a lower moral rung that you do...pretty judgmental and really such a useless comment. My concern in posting is not getting the 30% balance and I am looking to encourage anyone experiencing this to post. This, I think is coming at some point, dependent on David's revenue.

My goodness! 3 times already? 😳 I hope you get the extra cash, you certainly deserve it.

If it was me, I’d want it as well. I am sorry, but it frustrates me that owners, now that resorts are open, are being made out to be the bad guys for expecting the contract to be honored Or given some incentive to revise the terms.

If David’s wants to give renters a chance to recoup by allowing the reservation to be rented to someone else, why should the only ones who get nothing out of the change be the owner?

Davids is keeping some of the funds from the renter for this option so it should be shared with the owner, YMMV.

To my surpise, David's informed me today they had a new renter for a stay due to commence in 9 days. I was slightly dismayed to realise they did not try to obtain payment from the new renter until after I'd made the change. I've had issues with David's not receiving payment before so if that happens in the current case after I've gone to the trouble of calling member services I'll be mightily p*ssed!

Yes, if you had held out for additional compensation I would indeed have judged you to reside on a lower moral rung.

This is a difficult time for everyone. DVC members, renters and David's business. Renters are screwed. They are stuck with reservations they cannot use and in contracts that do not allow for cancellations. The BEST they can do is take a loss and re-rent their reservations. The LEAST we can do is help them without demanding more money. As for your 30% balance, do you think there is a better or worse chance that it will be there is every owner bleeds David's dry with change fees?

If it was me, I’d want it as well. I am sorry, but it frustrates me that owners, now that resorts are open, are being made out to be the bad guys for expecting the contract to be honored Or given some incentive to revise the terms.

If David’s wants to give renters a chance to recoup by allowing the reservation to be rented to someone else, why should the only ones who get nothing out of the change be the owner?

Davids is keeping some of the funds from the renter for this option so it should be shared with the owner, YMMV.
I am frustrated that DVC members act like everything is like it used to be when they could rent their points through David's and then wash their hands of their renters. I know that was an advantage of David's that you didn't have to worry or think about your renters. I swear that some of this is about punishing David's, but the renters are real people who are in a bind.

I prefer to be kind to and look out for the renters rather than demanding more money to change a reservation, YYMV.

Is it possible this is just a regular name change at the renter’s request? The contract does say renters can request a name change up until 30 days out (IIRC). Maybe they decided to give their reservation to a friend etc? I thought the $2 per point deal was for rerenting the points and it sounds like they had to get permission from the owner in order to do that. If they never asked you, I don’t think they can re-rent them and that’s why they may not have offered the extra money.

Yes, if you had held out for additional compensation I would indeed have judged you to reside on a lower moral rung.

This is a difficult time for everyone. DVC members, renters and David's business. Renters are screwed. They are stuck with reservations they cannot use and in contracts that do not allow for cancellations. The BEST they can do is take a loss and re-rent their reservations. The LEAST we can do is help them without demanding more money. As for your 30% balance, do you think there is a better or worse chance that it will be there is every owner bleeds David's dry with change fees?

I am frustrated that DVC members act like everything is like it used to be when they could rent their points through David's and then wash their hands of their renters. I know that was an advantage of David's that you didn't have to worry or think about your renters. I swear that some of this is about punishing David's, but the renters are real people who are in a bind.

I prefer to be kind to and look out for the renters rather than demanding more money to change a reservation, YYMV.
Have a lovely day, Robinb. Honestly, life is too short!

David's is charging a the new renters a fee. If they are using a voucher, it is at least $1 per point (the difference between the old fee structure and new fee structure). If they are completely new, they're paying whatever the listed amount is ($9-11 per point for close reservations). The original renters are getting a voucher (for $3-10 less per point than what they paid), so no money going back to them.

The owner is NOT required to do anything under the contract. Doing nothing means that the owner still gets the 30% on check-in day. That this owner is even considering changing the names on the contract shows that they have empathy for the original renters (who would lose everything if the owner did nothing). Whether the owner is compensated for changing the reservation or not, they have stepped up and done something nice for the original renters.

So, get off your high horse and see what's really going on here!

The original renters are getting a voucher (for $3-10 less per point than what they paid), so no money going back to them.

I'm not sure if they're offering different things to different renters, but I asked to re-rent 2 different reservations in 2020 and was offered what I've seen everyone else get offered and it wasn't this. Renters who want to try to re-rent their points for reservations in 2020 are being offered either the full amount as a voucher or a cash refund less $3 per point.

Is it possible this is just a regular name change at the renter’s request? The contract does say renters can request a name change up until 30 days out (IIRC). Maybe they decided to give their reservation to a friend etc? I thought the $2 per point deal was for rerenting the points and it sounds like they had to get permission from the owner in order to do that. If they never asked you, I don’t think they can re-rent them and that’s why they may not have offered the extra money.
The renter can add or remove names prior to 30 days out, but not the lead guest’s name without re-renting the reservation. It’s a technicality but it comes down to the renter, not their surrogate, being the one with a contract with David’s. Subletting the reservation is not permitted. David’s wants to keep the original renter on the hook with a voucher while collecting a new rental fee from any lead name change.

I'm not sure if they're offering different things to different renters, but I asked to re-rent 2 different reservations in 2020 and was offered what I've seen everyone else get offered and it wasn't this. Renters who want to try to re-rent their points for reservations in 2020 are being offered either the full amount as a voucher or a cash refund less $3 per point.

This is what I was offered, however since their prices have gone up since I booked the voucher is no longer worth as much. In my case, I booked when Davids charged $2/pt less. While the voucher is dollar for dollar equivalent, on a point for point basis it is worth less than what I signed up for. Not saying this is fair/unfair, just a fact that the voucher is worth less than what it replaces for me.

David's is charging a the new renters a fee. If they are using a voucher, it is at least $1 per point (the difference between the old fee structure and new fee structure). If they are completely new, they're paying whatever the listed amount is ($9-11 per point for close reservations). The original renters are getting a voucher (for $3-10 less per point than what they paid), so no money going back to them.

The owner is NOT required to do anything under the contract. Doing nothing means that the owner still gets the 30% on check-in day. That this owner is even considering changing the names on the contract shows that they have empathy for the original renters (who would lose everything if the owner did nothing). Whether the owner is compensated for changing the reservation or not, they have stepped up and done something nice for the original renters.

I never said they would get a refund. If the reservation is re-rented the original renters are not completely left holding the bag for a reservation they will never use. If that's a voucher, it's absolutely better than nothing. It makes sense that it would be for whatever David's sells the reservation for so I guess I don't see your point about it being for less than they paid. They are the ones taking the loss, not the DVC member. The DVC member still gets paid the full amount for the original reservation.

Demanding to be paid extra to help out the renters in this unique pandemic situation is NOT "nice". Sitting back and saying "My contract doesn't require me to do Jack!" is NOT "nice". If that opinion means that I'm on a "high horse" then I guess I'll just enjoy the view.

Ditto on what CraiginPa said

This is what I was offered, however since their prices have gone up since I booked the voucher is no longer worth as much. In my case, I booked when Davids charged $2/pt less. While the voucher is dollar for dollar equivalent, on a point for point basis it is worth less than what I signed up for. Not saying this is fair/unfair, just a fact that the voucher is worth less than what it replaces for me.

You can look at it this way. That's still not what CraigInPA was suggesting was happening either though :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter