DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Ditto. Except I miscalculated my vacation days. I had planned on taking from Dec 22nd to Jan 1st off. I have 3 vacation days left. I completely missed counting Dec 31st as a vacation day. So now I have to chop up my nice long break and come into work on 31st. But at least I will be able to get all the end of month stuff done, which I probably would have had to do some at home even if I took the day off. I still get the whole of Christmas week off, so I can't complain.

We close the office for the same two week period that the school uses. This year I will be back for two days before heading to DDCC!!

Entering into 'heck week' at work for me. Christmas time is super nice, everyone else is on PTO and most of our clients are closed, so I can just wiggle my mouse every few minutes and hang out with family. But I'm gonna be pulling all nighters all this week finishing the project I let slide while I was in Orlando last week!
Another one that didn't tell me they were in town...I'm starting to see a trend here...y'all are going to give me a complex.

Evening gents.
Managed to get the tree up... and noticed a swath of lights ain't lit. Hoping that I can find the right bulbs and replace the right ones so they come on. Maybe.

Mine was Saturday night too. I skipped it. It's not really my thing. I am pretty sure prizes at our party got cut years ago, sadly.

We had prizes, but I came home empty handed. I think there were something like... a dozen prizes? But when there's 200 people, the odds dwindle.
Still... nice that they have them.
The buffet wasn't bad. Not great, not bad.

Back to Monday morning. It's cold outside, my back hurts, and I'm not at WDW. Get off my lawn. That is the Grumpy report for the day.

Go back to bed and don't come out until spring!

I did the outside decorations in the freezing cold on Saturday. Put on the tree and strung the lights yesterday afternoon. That fulfilled my tree decorating obligations.

I managed to do the outside lights when it was still relatively warm.

Have a Snicker Norm; you're not yourself when you're hungry.

:lmao:

Most folks forget that it ain't actually winter yet.
What we've seen so far is likely nothing more then the previews.

Reminds me of Groundhog Day.
"Think it'll be an early spring?"
"I predict March 21st."

Have a Snicker Norm; you're not yourself when you're hungry.

I went with Basil Hayden bourbon with a Corona chaser. I'm the Mr. Drinking Worldwide.

I approve of the Grumpy Report.
Heck, I pretty much resemble the Grumpy Report.

I reckon we've been writing them for years now.

Hey guys, Happy Monday. I've been laid out all week with what turned out to be a really bad sinus infection. I don't have time to catch up on reading so I'll just assume everyone is making do. Or making doo-doo. One of those.

Feel better soon.

Go back to bed and don't come out until spring!
."

I'm neither a bear nor a groundhog. However, if you cover the bills, then I'm happy to hibernate. Heck, make it the following Spring.

Morning all. Just curious - decorating the Christmas tree, is that something everyone does together a s a family? I'm asking because we're really struggling this year finding a time when all 4 of us are in the house and have the time to do it. I put the tree up Saturday but it's been sitting bare ever since. Oldest DD had university exams up to yesterday and was full on studying the last 2 weeks. Youngest DD has dance class every evening and Sunday afternoons. I'm working all week. And to further complicate things this year, DW picked up that part time job at the Hallmark store, so she's working at least a few hours every day and/or evening. I guess most busy families struggle with time management a lot, but we're finding it harder than usual this year. We've penciled in tonight to decorate, providing we just get a take out pizza and don't bother cooking/cleaning up from supper. Otherwise we won't be able to do it until Sunday night.

Hey guys, Happy Monday. I've been laid out all week with what turned out to be a really bad sinus infection. I don't have time to catch up on reading so I'll just assume everyone is making do. Or making doo-doo. One of those.
Sounds nasty. I hope you're on the mend.

Managed to get the tree up... and noticed a swath of lights ain't lit. Hoping that I can find the right bulbs and replace the right ones so they come on. Maybe.
I lucked into finding the right light one time. I was very close to pitching out on the curb. Hopefully you get lucky. And find the light bulb too.

That game last night probably didn't help the sinus infection.

I was just getting over the headache, and then the game gave me a new one.

I just love that. The box always promises that if a bulb goes out, the strand will stay lit. And then I'm stuck with a bunch of light strands that are half out.

Reminds me of Groundhog Day.
"Think it'll be an early spring?"
"I predict March 21st."

:rotfl2:

Feel better soon.

Thanks!

orning all. Just curious - decorating the Christmas tree, is that something everyone does together a s a family? I'm asking because we're really struggling this year finding a time when all 4 of us are in the house and have the time to do it.

Yeah, we always do it as a family. The kids look forward to it and would be upset if they didn't get to participate. We usually avoid putting up Christmas decorations until the day after Thanksgiving. But on that day, we put up as much as we can. Makes it easier to do it together since everyone is home and off from school/work. I imagine that's not much help for you, though, since the day after Thanksgiving for us is just another Friday for you.

Hopefully you get lucky. And find the light bulb too.

:lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

I imagine that's not much help for you, though, since the day after Thanksgiving for us is just another Friday for you.
Yep, we don't have any public holiday between Remembrance (Veteran's) Day and Christmas Day. I do know a couple families who decorate their tree on Remembrance day, but to me it's A. too early and B. a little disrespectful to the day. We've always been able to find a weekend early in December, but this is the latest we've gone without a decorated tree.

I was hoping somebody would catch that :p

Morning all. Just curious - decorating the Christmas tree, is that something everyone does together a s a family? I'm asking because we're really struggling this year finding a time when all 4 of us are in the house and have the time to do it. I put the tree up Saturday but it's been sitting bare ever since. Oldest DD had university exams up to yesterday and was full on studying the last 2 weeks. Youngest DD has dance class every evening and Sunday afternoons. I'm working all week. And to further complicate things this year, DW picked up that part time job at the Hallmark store, so she's working at least a few hours every day and/or evening. I guess most busy families struggle with time management a lot, but we're finding it harder than usual this year. We've penciled in tonight to decorate, providing we just get a take out pizza and don't bother cooking/cleaning up from supper. Otherwise we won't be able to do it until Sunday night.

We have encountered that some this year, as it even took a whole week after Thanksgiving to have a few hours free to drive out and get the live tree and at least get it stood up inside and strung with lights. Only one of the DDs came with to pick the tree, which is usually a whole-family affair, and then they did a lot of the ornaments themselves while the wife and I ran around doing other stuff. So everyone helped, but it was kind of in shifts and took a couple days. Of course I have everything perfectly stored from the previous year so it's like a little factory assembly line by now. :santa:

This is our first year with both DDs in full-day school (younger is in 1st grade), which also comes with all those activities: we also have several dance nights a week, and I'm learning that swim team is a real time commitment too. I usually end up with swim meet duty, so for a few hours each weekend we're packed into some HS gymnasium like a refugee camp, trying to squeeze into the standing-room-only natatorium to catch a 60-second race every so often. (But it's awesome to see all that hard work and gradual progress.) So anyway, I hear ya TNG.

Also.... 24 hours to WDW! :smickey: I should be standing in the Grand Floridian lobby right about this time tomorrow. :cool1:

I just love that. The box always promises that if a bulb goes out, the strand will stay lit. And then I'm stuck with a bunch of light strands that are half out.

I would say I'm at about 60% retention of light strands from year to year: for every 5 boxes I buy each Christmas, 2 are inevitably going to be dead (or worse, half-dead) when I pull them out the next year.

It varies. Some years it's me. Some years it's DW. Some years it's DDs. Or any combination of those.
Last year I came home from work and DW had bought all new ornaments and they'd not put up a single one of the other ones. I hated it with a passion. I didn't say anything, but it sure put me in a funk for a while.

I lucked into finding the right light one time. I was very close to pitching out on the curb.

I think a few have to be out before the strand goes. But... I don't have any spares, I'm not sure if I can even find any of them without ordering (which means delivery in January.)

Hopefully you get lucky. And find the light bulb too.

Dude. I've been married for almost 30 years. The chances of me getting lucky... well... I'm guessing in 6 months...

My joy is that it's a pre-lit tree. So if the strand is out... I have to go around the tree... which is in a corner... until I find it.

Also.... 24 hours to WDW! :smickey: I should be standing in the Grand Floridian lobby right about this time tomorrow. :cool1:

Have a great trip!

Holy Freaking Beverley!!! Why is it so bloody cold!!! This is not right and needs to stop.

Sorry just another -22 Fall morning.

Good news for DS this morning, he has to have his wisdom teeth taken out, I guess his mouth isn't that big after all. ;)

For us, I put it up and string the lights. DS, DW and MIL typically do the rest. This year, because everyone is busy, DW did the decorating.

Of course I have everything perfectly stored from the previous year so it's like a little factory assembly line by now. :santa:

Nice work! I am all about low-maintenance decorations. We have an artifical tree and I just leave the lights on it and store it fully constructed in the basement. If I could rig an automatic lift that raised and lowered it through a trap door at the touch of a button every year, I'd be all over that.

I would say I'm at about 60% retention of light strands from year to year: for every 5 boxes I buy each Christmas, 2 are inevitably going to be dead (or worse, half-dead) when I pull them out the next year.

Sounds about right. I'm sure it's done on purpose, to make you give up and buy new lights every year.

Last year I came home from work and DW had bought all new ornaments and they'd not put up a single one of the other ones. I hated it with a passion. I didn't say anything, but it sure put me in a funk for a while.

Ouch. That's a bummer.

My joy is that it's a pre-lit tree. So if the strand is out... I have to go around the tree... which is in a corner... until I find it.

:faint:

Good news for DS this morning, he has to have his wisdom teeth taken out, I guess his mouth isn't that big after all. ;)

Oh, man. Good luck! I remember eating nothing but applesauce and milkshakes for a week after mine were removed. Finally, I was sick of liquid diets and determined to get a big juicy cheeseburger. So I went to a McDonalds (I was in college, no money at the time) and got a giant double quarter pounder with cheese. Only my gums weren't healed yet. It was a true case of agony and ecstasy.

Holy Freaking Beverley!!! Why is it so bloody cold!!! This is not right and needs to stop.

Sorry just another -22 Fall morning.
Hah! We warmed up. It's a very pleasant -8. In your face!!!

And this is how cold wars begin.

Make sure you video him after he comes out of it. But not all the way out.

Nice work! I am all about low-maintenance decorations. We have an artifical tree and I just leave the lights on it and store it fully constructed in the basement. If I could rig an automatic lift that raised and lowered it through a trap door at the touch of a button every year, I'd be all over that.

57237974.jpg

Hah! We warmed up. It's a very pleasant -8. In your face!!!

And this is how cold wars begin.

Make sure you video him after he comes out of it. But not all the way out.

LOL

Morning all. Just curious - decorating the Christmas tree, is that something everyone does together a s a family? I'm asking because we're really struggling this year finding a time when all 4 of us are in the house and have the time to do it. I
With the "young'en" off at school there is no good time for everyone to participate.
I'm responsible for setting it up and stringing the lights and any garland.
(which must then meet the approval of the boss before anything else can happen)
After that, the ornaments go up kinda over the next few days as we start going through and the rest of boxes-o-decor. I may do all of it, she may do a lot of it, but it's no longer a specific "family time" ritual. We've replaced it with other things specifically to be done as a family.

Been there...
Ours goes in a corner as well so I set it up in the middle of the room until all the lights are up and verified operational. Then it gets slid back into the corner and the rest if the decor can be applied.

Really?
Wow...

All new is something that probably wouldn't happen in our house.
The tree is somewhat of a story book where the vast majority of the ornaments have significance and backstories.
We purposely want folks to ask us things like: "why the heck do you have that one up there"
The reminiscing is part of the attraction so replacing all of them on mass is not a likely scenario.

While I won't be disagreeing with you...
it's little like me complaining about the heat and humidity in the high summer.

Excellent ideas both...
Too bad I sold our basement off to subsidies the tuition.
If I had the room to leave it assembled, I'd probably do it.

A lie I can live with.
We did live trees for a long while and especially when the boy was small.
way too much fuss and bother these days.

And it's paid for itself several times over!
Yep...
Yes is has.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter