DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Hey, Dads! Happy Wednesday! Didn't get on yesterday as it was pretty busy at work. The end of the month is coming up and all kinds of work is being shipped out to customers, so lots to do. I actually wound up hurting my back because we were loading 22 large floats (data collecting device that you deploy from either boats or air drop) into 10 crates. Unfortunately the lead in the warehouse prefers to man handle the floats rather than use the overhead crane. Normally I don't mind as I get in a good whole body workout, but that one hurt. I came in early today to get some things done before everyone showed up and decided to stop by. Many of you may recall that I had mentioned I got caught online a while back while waiting for some labels to print. Well, it happened again....except this time wasn't doing any work. You see, my boss come up to me in the warehouse and told me to head back to the stockroom to help pull shop orders, which I did. When I go there, my lead/supervisor told me, "False alarm, I thought there was going to be a lot to pull, but I have nothing." "Ok" I said, "Can I help you finish up these orders here to get read to ship out to customers?" To which he replied, "No, I have nothing for you right now." "Ok, I'll just head over to my desk and have some water and wait." I said. So I headed over to my desk, grabbed some water and got online to the Dis. I was on for maybe 2 minutes when he said, right behind me (sneaking up behind me like that annoys the crap out of me), "Huh, what's ya doing?" "Waiting for you to give me work." I replied. I then turned, looked at him and waited for him to respond. I know I'm a temp, but if you tell me I have nothing for you to do, don't get mad at me while I get online to kill some time. Its not like I spend all day online. In fact, I prefer to be busy...it makes the day go by. I'm not worried about the fall out from it, I work my butt off and everyone knows it. My boss said the higher ups have mentioned my name a few times when speaking good about me...so I've got some cred. Well, everyone, have a good day.

Happy Tuesday. I don't make many of these requests, but if you can spare them, please pray for my oldest daughter. She turns 18 mid January, and just has put on her stubborn hat. She's a good kid, we don't have that many rules, and average expectations of a teenager. However, she is rebelling against me and the evil empire I have instilled at the house. She can't possibly be expected to go to school until 1:30 PM each day, work 20 hours a week, and do her laundry. Now that she has turned to profanity against my wife, I'm ready to knock her head off. Sadly, she's heading towards an eviction and at 18, and I don't know how to stop it. Feel free to share any advice as well.

I hope not either. Thanks.

Tried that with her paying me for her car insurance. She paid one month, and that was it. Took away the car, for that and other reasons, but she still doesn't want to change.

Had a friend at work tell me something similar. Their daughter moved out, got screwed over on bills with a roommate, moved back home with a completely different attitude. I was just hoping she didn't have to learn the hardway.

Sometimes people getting screwed is what it takes for someone to change, so maybe getting screwed over is what she needs. Really hate to mention it, but maybe that's what she needs. Either way, my friend, I'll say a pray for you and her.

Last edited:
Hey, Dads! Happy Wednesday! Didn't get on yesterday as it was pretty busy at work. The end of the month is coming up and all kinds of work is being shipped out to customers, so lots to do. I actually wound up hurting my back because we were loading 22 large floats (data collecting device that you deploy from either boats or air drop) into 10 crates. Unfortunately the lead in the warehouse prefers to man handle the floats rather than use the overhead crane. Normally I don't mind as I get in a good whole body workout, but that one hurt. I came in early today to get some things done before everyone showed up and decided to stop by. Many of you may recall that I had mentioned I got caught online a while back while waiting for some labels to print. Well, it happened again....except this time wasn't doing any work. You see, my boss come up to me in the warehouse and told me to head back to the stockroom to help pull shop orders, which I did. When I go there, my lead/supervisor told me, "False alarm, I thought there was going to be a lot to pull, but I have nothing." "Ok" I said, "Can I help you finish up these orders here to get read to ship out to customers?" To which he replied, "No, I have nothing for you right now." "Ok, I'll just head over to my desk and have some water and wait." I said. So I headed over to my desk, grabbed some water and got online to the Dis. I was on for maybe 2 minutes when he said, right behind me (sneaking up behind me like that annoys the crap out of me), "Huh, what's ya doing?" "Waiting for you to give me work." I replied. I then turned, looked at him and waited for him to respond. I know I'm a temp, but if you tell me I have nothing for you to do, don't get mad at me while I get online to kill some time. Its not like I spend all day online. In fact, I prefer to be busy...it makes the day go by. I'm not worried about the fall out from it, I work my butt off and everyone knows it. My boss said the higher ups have mentioned my name a few times when speaking good about me...so I've got some cred. Well, everyone, have a good day.

Sorry to hear about your back and sorry to hear about the garbage with work. Not that it will win you the how to make friends or influence people award, but if this happens again, you could say
"You have nothing for me to do...would you rather me surf the web or stick my thumb up my butt? I could do that, but this smells a lot better, is more socially acceptable and is more sanitary".

It was mostly posts saying "Where's Pkondz? Is he OK? Doesn't he love us anymore?"
I'm right here! I'm OK! (Hurt my back... but that's not so uncommon, unfortunately.) And... no.
Don't go back and check though, just trust that they are there.
Okay! I totally trust you!!!!!
Who are you again? I think Randall will be along shortly to give you a number. Welcome to the club.
:laughing: I wasn't AWOL that long!

I actually wound up hurting my back because we were loading 22 large floats (data collecting device that you deploy from either boats or air drop) into 10 crates. Unfortunately the lead in the warehouse prefers to man handle the floats rather than use the overhead crane.
Ouch. Take care of that back. It's the only one you got. Trust me on this...
Many of you may recall that I had mentioned I got caught online a while back while waiting for some labels to print. Well, it happened again....except this time wasn't doing any work. You see, my boss come up to me in the warehouse and told me to head back to the stockroom to help pull shop orders, which I did. When I go there, my lead/supervisor told me, "False alarm, I thought there was going to be a lot to pull, but I have nothing." "Ok" I said, "Can I help you finish up these orders here to get read to ship out to customers?" To which he replied, "No, I have nothing for you right now." "Ok, I'll just head over to my desk and have some water and wait." I said. So I headed over to my desk, grabbed some water and got online to the Dis. I was on for maybe 2 minutes when he said, right behind me (sneaking up behind me like that annoys the crap out of me), "Huh, what's ya doing?" "Waiting for you to give me work." I replied. I then turned, looked at him and waited for him to respond. I know I'm a temp, but if you tell me I have nothing for you to do, don't get mad at me while I get online to kill some time.
I gotta know... did he say anything in response?

My fave is "If you can't find something to do, I'll find something for you."
Um... yeah? That's your job? It's why I'm here?
But... "No worries. I'll rearrange the files in your office. Instead of alphabetical, I'm going to use my own dating system."

Morning all. I have the rest of the week off with the Thanksgiving holidays. Went outside and mulched up the rest of the leaves that finally fell. I might be done for the day.

Time for an early dinner...

Sanaa over at Kadani

This was carved into the table top
View attachment 455064

and this is what we covered that up with right off the bat...

View attachment 455065

View attachment 455066

Mmmmmmm...

Next up...
the infamous "Bread Service"

View attachment 455067
Paid extra for that and it was worth every last penny.

I'd go back just for drinks and that "little" appetizer.
Actually, I guarantee I'll go back for that.

Main course: "Mishkaki"...

View attachment 455068

One of the best meals I've had on property.

The Missus had the "Potjie" with the Butter Chicken and a couple or most excellent sides (but the pictures of that didn't turn out so...)

Dessert...

View attachment 455069

That was also right tasty.

We also tried the "Serradura" which I liked even better
(but again no good pics... what ya' gonn'a do)

This place is now among your favs for WDW dinning.

Sounds like a full day and good dinner. DW prefers Sanaa and I prefer Jiko, but neither of us liked Boma. Sadly, AK is just SO FAR AWAY that we rarely ever go over there to eat. We liked AKV, but you have to ride a bus everywhere.

Sometimes people getting screwed is what it takes for someone to change, so maybe getting screwed over is what she needs. Really hate to mention it, but maybe that's what she needs. Either way, my friend, I'll say a pray for you and her.

I know, but like all of us, we want better for our children. I got some terrible parenting advice - save money in CDs, go to college to get a $1 million a year job, and take a government job - are the highlights. I also got the if you don't like my rules, then get out. I did get out, and was lucky enough to find a good $225 1 bedroom apartment and no roommate. And, I worked 2 jobs to pay for college and my own household. I've tried to balance teaching responsibilities with having fun. My younger daughter is thriving with the same set-up, so I just don't get it.

Sorry to hear about the back and the bad boss. Well, at least they still like you there.

:laughing: I wasn't AWOL that long!

You don't have to worry until Randall gives as you the membership # again.

Morning all. I have the rest of the week off with the Thanksgiving holidays. Went outside and mulched up the rest of the leaves that finally fell. I might be done for the day.
I got to spend an hour yesterday scraping ice off the driveway.

I'll take mulching instead...
You don't have to worry until Randall gives as you the membership # again.
::yes::

Sounds like a full day and good dinner. DW prefers Sanaa and I prefer Jiko, but neither of us liked Boma. Sadly, AK is just SO FAR AWAY that we rarely ever go over there to eat. We liked AKV, but you have to ride a bus everywhere.
It was a good day.
Of course, any day at Disney beats a day at work, so...

We haven't tried Jiko yet, but we'll get around to it if possible.
Boma was hit-n-miss for us.
First time we went it was great.
The next time... meh...

Granted that the whole of AKL is a long way from everything, but we generally try to get there via bus from AK to break up the day. We also stayed at ASMu this time around and if you're doing the driving (which I prefer to do anyway) it's not that far.

OK gents...
Time for me to wast more of your time with pics from the last trip.
(it's as close as I'll be getting to writing a TR on this one.)
Feel free to ignore them...

Last Tuesday.

After taking it "somewhat" easier the day before it was time to actually get you rumps up and do rope-drop.

At DHS this time...

And we all know exactly why any one would be doing rope drop as DHS...

Except we were among the about 20% of the folks there that morning who turned right rather then left (which is very un-normal for me) and we ended up here...

This it the thing we most wanted to try out
(and bloody well couldn't get a Fast-Pass for)

Excellent coaster.
I'll rank it fourth overall (of the ones currently open, that is).

Next up...

The ***
(dang Dis-Board censors)

Yeah, we road it.
Checked that box off.
likely won't do it again.

Unless...
I go back there with grand-young'ens in tow.
(which won't be happening any time too soon)

Next up...
Well, you gott'a finish off this whole part of the park before moving on...

Yeah, that's a fairly crappy picture, but I was more focused on other things at the time.

Like what to have for breakfast...

Believe it of not...
That was well worth the snack-credit it cost me.

OK, enough of the kiddie rides it time for some outer space type adventure...

Hummmm...
Something's not quite right here.

There...
That's better.

They were even offering classes on how to properly salute members of the First Order when you encounter them.

But we were there looking for work.
And work we found.

Piloting this piece of junk...

I was surprised that we got on this one with only about a forty minute wait.
Not bad for mid day and no fast-pass.
If you have any say in the matter, try to be one of the pilots.
Definitely the best seat from which to experience this one.

Last edited:
Time for a change in venue...

And time for a spot of tea...

Err...
I mean lunch

The opening Appetizer...

Irish Cheddar Cheese and Stout Dip with Irish Brown Bread

Not enough bread, but we just drank the leftover "dip"
Not wasting anything that tasty.

Next up was drinks at the Cava del Tequila
(But y'all saw pics of those a few days ago and I only get 10 per post so...

We'll skip back to the food.

Raclette
(Swiss Cheese with Baby Potatoes, Cornichons and Baguette)

Also tasty.
We had to keep the marauders at bay while polishing that one off...

After that is was more booze over in China
But again y'all saw those earlier so it's on to the main course...

Kenyan Coffee Barbecue Beef Tenderloin
(with Sweet Potato and Corn Mealie Pap and Kachumbari Slaw )

Very good stuff, there.

I followed that up with a bit of Paella from the Spanish booth...

But my Missus was saving room for dessert...

Because you just have to stop in Belgium for the waffles if you have the chance.
(that's the version with the Berry Compote and Whipped Cream, by the way)

So how do you follow up desert?
Second Lunch, of course...

Brazil was the only stop where we got two things...

Crispy Pork Belly with Black Beans, Tomato and Onions
and Pão de Queijo (that's Cheese bread to the rest of us)

That may have seemed like a lot of food, but we split all of it and it wasn't as debilitating as it would seem. Not to say that we weren't quite full and needed to rest out feet for a bit.

So what else to do but head for a good bar...

I really wanted to order the prime rib sliders while we were here, but w'd just finished up lunch and had dinner to get to in a few hours, so

more booze instead seemed to be the right call...

And it was.

We actually lingered here for quite some time.
The Crew's Cup is an excellent lounge and a great place to kick up the feet for a while.

After that we strolled around the the Yacht & Beach Clubs and then slowly worked you way back over to the WS. Needing a bit more of a break after the walk we decided to take in It's A Small Mexico...

The music here is much better then at the "original", I'll tell you that much...

Believe it or not, it's been several hours and we have a late dinner reservation...

Hacienda de San Angel...

And of course...
MORE BOOZE!!

Oh, and dinner too...

Alambre de Res
(Flank steak, bacon, poblano and bell peppers with Monterey Jack cheese, lime, and salsa verde )

and

Costillas en Salsa de Chile
(Braised Short Rib with Potato Puree and Cilantro Chimichurri )

That...
That stuff back there...
That was some seriously good eats.

And since we were there rather late in the day, we got to see the fireworks...

Well...
Some what.
I asked for a window table but there are only so many, so what'ch gonn'a do.

It's all good though.
We'll get a better look at that show later on in the trip.

Merry Thanksgivings!!!

Image result for merry thanksgiving gif

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Remember, no Politics, Religion or BBQ discussion at the table, no-one likes a trip to the Emergency Room at this time of year.

Not much going on in London, going to see Death of a Salesman tonight with the good Lady Katharine. Wendall Pierce is starring (as long as he hasn't taken Thanksgiving off)

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving guys, even though it actually happened over a month ago.
My VP is Canadian, she has been giving the stink eye to anyone who has wished her Happy Thanksgiving today. Thanks to you, Jeff and Rob I got a Gold Star on Canadian Thanksgiving. Apparently I was the only one who "remembered".

A happy Thanksgiving to all the US folks 'round here.
And may Thursday treat the rest of you well

I for one am thankful to have all of y'all here.

I hear this is the place for a Thanksgiving picture blast. Is that true?

;)
... and that's when the fight started...
I go off with the young'ens school band to perform in the Macy's Parade and when I get back DDC-XIII was gone.

What say we don't do that again.

Soo.... hey, Rob... I commented the other day how I still lament missing meeting you?
I have the DIS open and am looking at your photos and DD18 wanders over and sees I'm on the DIS.
"Have you ever heard from that guy you missed seeing on your trip?"

I kid you not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter