Decorating your resort room?

julsmom

DIS Veteran
For those of you who decorate your windows and doors while at Disney, what do you do? I read on disboards about someone who put a dry erase board on their door. Has anyone done that? Does it get good response? I wondered what was allowed and not allowed.

princess: DD (5)

Visiting in 24 days!!!

what i do is go to home depot and borrow a whole lot of lime green mickey heads.

i cut them out and tape them all over the door and the window to my room.

i staple twine to the pencil and tape it to the door.
i ask for sign ins on my mickey heads for any disers that pass by.

never had any issues with housekeeping or cm's at the resort on what i do with the decorating.

Cinderumbrella said:
too cute!!!!!!! How many do you usually get?

i swiped another 240 of them last weekend.

i wish the 2 home depots i go to will refill the colors soon.

i make either an X or a circle with the attached pencil in the middle on the door. for the windo i do an outline of mickey ears.

i had about 10 last year.

and then some stupid kid wrote profanity on one of my mickey heads....
grrrrrrr

i save the signed ones for my scrapebook, except the profane one.

Cute idea! We always go in October so we take our Disney Halloween Decorating Kit that we got from the Disney Catalog years ago and decorate the windows of our hotel rooms! I never thought of putting anything outside the door or window for people to sign! Its a great idea! I may have to do something similar this October if you don't mind. Thanks!

We were at POR last Halloween and there were a lot of rooms decorated! I never thought about it :blush:

This Christmas I am bringing a small Winnie the Pooh tree I got on clearance at Lowe's for $5 for inside our room. I also have a strand of lights to put around the window (from the inside), Pooh and Friends Window clings, red and green foil garland and a big red velvet bow (all clearance specials from last year!)

But I love the Mickey head idea... may need to borrow that idea too...:scratchin

i have decorated the door and window at my room at the resort.

i get a kick out of it.

some people write very nice greetings on my mickey heads.
i misspelled a word in my original posting.
i place the mickey heads in the shape of the ears, not eyes as i wrote.
silly me.

decorate the outside of your door. feel free to use the ideas that i have.
housekeeping and the cm's do not have a problem with it.
i checked with the front desk for clearance on it, and they said they didn't care what i did.

Oh, we love this!! We bring our 50 plush disney characters for our window.
-disney strand of lights around the window
-disney picture frames around the room
-disney kleenex
-disney plates and napkins on our food table with usually a disney tablecloth
-i bring my dd minnie purse and hang it over the lamp
-we go crazy with the decorating, our car has disney clings all over it.
Have fun decorating!!

I would love to decorate my room at AKL next weekend! It's our honeymoon and would like to get responses from other members of the dis. What are the mickey heads at home depot? There is a home depot 5 miles from the house and I want the green mickey heads to put on my door! Will someone please tell me how to get them?

I think the Mickey heads are the Disney paint samples that are in the shape of a Mickey head on a regular paint chip rectangle. (In the paint department.) My kids usually pick up a whole set to play with when we're at Home Depot. :wave2:

BridetobeDisney said:
I would love to decorate my room at AKL next weekend! It's our honeymoon and would like to get responses from other members of the dis. What are the mickey heads at home depot? There is a home depot 5 miles from the house and I want the green mickey heads to put on my door! Will someone please tell me how to get them?

Hi...

The DIS board standard is the "Alien Green" (Sort of a yellowish-green color) Mickey Ears paint sample from Home Depot's Disney paint department. You can pick up a bunch of them and use them to decorate your door or windows. Maybe make a sign saying "It's-Our Honeymoon!" on each Mickey and leave some blank ones and a pen for people to leave you little messages. Some people (like me!) take the Mickey ears and reinforce them on posterboard, laminate with clear contact paper, add a pin back and wear it to the parks. You can also tie a lime green ribbon to your purse, backpack, or luggage!

Hope your trip is wonderfully magical!
:cloud9: :wizard: :lovestruc

dreamsofdisney said:
Hi...

The DIS board standard is the "Alien Green" (Sort of a yellowish-green color) Mickey Ears paint sample from Home Depot's Disney paint department. You can pick up a bunch of them and use them to decorate your door or windows. Maybe make a sign saying "It's-Our Honeymoon!" on each Mickey and leave some blank ones and a pen for people to leave you little messages. Some people (like me!) take the Mickey ears and reinforce them on posterboard, laminate with clear contact paper, add a pin back and wear it to the parks. You can also tie a lime green ribbon to your purse, backpack, or luggage!

Hope your trip is wonderfully magical!
:cloud9: :wizard: :lovestruc

That's what I was going to suggest! :goodvibes

I laminate everything! I'm a teacher and I literally spent hundreds of dollars on posters only to have them graffitied. :furious: I started laminating and it's very difficult to do permanent damage. Even sharpie ink can be removed with nail polish remover.

You can also get magnetic paper at Walmart (or similar store) and make a custom sign with your names and the date on it and hang that on your door. I've seen some DISers make beautiful ones!

Love the Mickey head ideas. I already have a ton, saved over the years! I was going to use them for scrapbooking! :teeth:

One trip staying at ASMovies, Buzz section, we hung a Toy Story birthday party banner from the inside window, along with Toy Story beanies that Disney Store used to sell eons ago.

For Christmas 2003, we had 2 connecting rooms at POP. We put a fiber optic tree in one room, which was standing on our cooler with a tree skirt covering it. And in the other window there was lights and window stickies. Mousekeeping always turned our lights and tree on for us. And even took the drapes and placed them around the back of the tree, enclosing it, so it would ge all aglow in the the window....so pretty!! :goodvibes

Decorating is so fun!!

We're going for MNSSHP for the 1st time this year and I can't wait to decorate the windows for that!!!!

I think I'll bring that new huge size Post-It paper we have, I even saw a bigger size at Sam's Club this week....HUGE!!!!! That would be cool to hang on the door to sign. And you could put up a new sheet if it gets filled and be able to keep it!! :teeth: :thumbsup2

Hi all!!!! we did the Wip Board last year!! it was awesome, but tooooo small! we had to clear it out at ourlunch break every day!!! so this year we bought butcher block paper and are going to have it the length of the door so that we have a permanant keep-sake for our scrapbook!!! and this way people can leave messages and such!! each day we would write what park we are going to and such. On the day we went to MNSSHP i had a ghost cut out of paper and stuck him to the door with MNSSHP written on it! people even signed him! it was fabulous!!

Our windows had lights, disney window stickies, halloween decorations, pumpkins, plush and the like in it!! we are doing the same this year, but trying to make it better somehow! not sure how yet, but we're thinking!!!

If you are staying at POP 9/29-10/6 look for our room in the 70s section!!!!!! and click on the link in my siggie to sign up for the who's going thread!!!

I would have never even thought to "Disney-fy" my hotel room. I may have to "borrow" a few of these ideas.

Just a quick question: Does Home Depot give you the Mickey Heads or do you have to buy them?

Thanks razamataz

you just swipe em! they are paint samples, so they are free!!! i always take like 20 or so and then i make my DH take the rest ;) in fact i'm going today for more!!!!!

At Christmas we decorated our window and room. We put a 3 FT. Christmas tree on the table in front of the window. Throughout the week we would add what we got in the parks under the tree. i place a garland around the window and put a single battery operated candle in the sill. Also Mousekeeping added a few of their own creative features to it also. In the room I had disney window clings on the mirror, disney tissue boxes and candy dish. i loved sitting in the room at night with the Christmas tree lit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter