Delta Airlines Service Dog Crackdown

Depends on the job the animal does. Certainly a guide dog shouldn't be handled, even though they love the affection. It may distract the dog from its primary duty. I have seen some handlers just shrug it off if they were sitting down, but they didn't want to seem to be rude.

I remember meeting a woman who said she had a condition where she'd suffer seizures and wouldn't necessarily know how to get home when she came to. Her dog was trained to recognize when she was in this condition and guide her home. She was perfectly OK with people playing with this dog, but let everyone know about her condition. I suppose that would let people know if she had a seizure that it was time to let it work.

My skepticism wasn't that there was a request not to pet the animal while working, that's a standard expectation. I call shenanigans on the idea that a support animal, let alone one trained to aid someone in need of controlling anxiety, cannot tolerate interaction with anyone other than their owner and would be a risk of snapping if approached.

I think it’s a nice start, but I don’t think it’ll really do much. Ppl aren’t afraid to go online & get the “certification” and/or there are plenty of drs/mental health professionals who would be willing to write ppl the required letter for $$.

I think it’s a nice start, but I don’t think it’ll really do much. Ppl aren’t afraid to go online & get the “certification” and/or there are plenty of drs/mental health professionals who would be willing to write ppl the required letter for $$.
I would imagine (hope) that if a doctor provides that letter for a poorly or untrained animal and the animal harms someone or damages property then the provider who certified that it was properly trained could be held legally liable. If so, after a few lawsuits providers are likely to become leery of providing the letters

I would imagine (hope) that if a doctor provides that letter for a poorly or untrained animal and the animal harms someone or damages property then the provider who certified that it was properly trained could be held legally liable. If so, after a few lawsuits providers are likely to become leery of providing the letters
Right but is the dr responsible for certifying that the animal is properly trained? I don’t see how he/she would be qualified to decide that. So the dr only certifies that the person “needs” the animal for whatever purpose which is often pretty easy to justify. The individual would be the one to assume liability/responsibility for the animal itself.

Right but is the dr responsible for certifying that the animal is properly trained? I don’t see how he/she would be qualified to decide that. So the dr only certifies that the person “needs” the animal for whatever purpose which is often pretty easy to justify. The individual would be the one to assume liability/responsibility for the animal itself.
Agreed. I don't see how it's feasible or fair to make a doctor liable for a service animal's actions. That's the kind of regulation that would backfire and end up hurting people who do have legitimate, well-trained service animals when doctors choose to refuse that liability risk across the board. The article mentioned something about having the passenger sign a form stating the animal can behave itself -- I assume that's the airline's attempt to shift the liability onto the passenger.

Thanks for the info @bcla! :thumbsup2 It looks like the airline is within its rights to deny mini horses, though I personally think that would be unfortunate for those people who have them for legitimate service needs.

Agreed. I don't see how it's feasible or fair to make a doctor liable for a service animal's actions. That's the kind of regulation that would backfire and end up hurting people who do have legitimate, well-trained service animals when doctors choose to refuse that liability risk across the board. The article mentioned something about having the passenger sign a form stating the animal can behave itself -- I assume that's the airline's attempt to shift the liability onto the passenger.

Thanks for the info @bcla! :thumbsup2 It looks like the airline is within its rights to deny mini horses, though I personally think that would be unfortunate for those people who have them for legitimate service needs.
Neither the doctor nor the vet certifies that the dog is trained. The OWNER signs the form.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/special-travel-needs/service-animals.html

I think the biggest mistake many people are making is that delta is targeting "comfort" pets... Im pretty sure service animals arent required anything...

def glad they are cracking down on this. I have a friend who does exactly that for her dog. i think its just rude. :\

I'm happy for a crackdown, but like others I don't think this will make much difference. If you're asinine enough to feel entitled to bring your misbehaving animal on a plane and let it bother other people, you're probably asinine enough to sign a form attesting that the animal is properly trained.

You mean I can't get a free First Class seat for my emotional support kangaroo anymore?

a99962_plane-animals_8.jpg

I hope it makes a difference. At the very least it clarifies that people can't claim that their spider or snake is a support animal any longer. The fact that people have done that in the past boggles the mind.

but just to need/want a small dog with you for comfort on a plane? No.
People with [legitimate] emotional support animals generally need the comfort full time. Not simply to fly.
I call shenanigans on the idea that a support animal, let alone one trained to aid someone in need of controlling anxiety, cannot tolerate interaction with anyone other than their owner and would be a risk of snapping if approached.
Wouldn't be surprised if the dog is fully trained, but she's saying it may snap in lieu of a long discussion.

I don't see a big change here except proving that owners need to prove that their animals are vaccinated and that they sign something that says their animals are trained. .
ESAs do not have to be trained in any way. They are just pets.

So, to me, having owners sign something stating the dog has been trained is the airline’s way of at least expressing that they expect a certain level of behavior from the dog.

The doctor has absolutely nothing to do with the service or emotional supposed animal. They state that the human needs one, not that this particular dog is qualified to be one.

People with [legitimate] emotional support animals generally need the comfort full time. Not simply to fly.

But ESAs are not allowed to accompany their owners full time. So, whether the person legitimately needs the comfort or not doesn’t mean they are allowed to bring the dog everywhere. ESAs are permitted on airplanes and in housing, but are prohibited anywhere else that pets are not welcome.

sorry---I misread that.

Thank goodness an airline is finally cracking down. I hope others follow suit

About a year ago I flew from FLL to PVR and there was a woman with TWO "service dogs" in vests. Small littlle terrier types. One was older, with a missing eye and she carried it everywhere, the other ran about tripping people up with the leash and yapping. She kept encouraging the dogs to "give sugar" to people waiting at the gate (lick our ankles) and at one point she sat behind me in the chair whose back as to mine and a dog licked my ear.

I was LIVID about the licking and so bothered that those clearly not trained service animals were allowed on the flight.

SERIOUSLY? Oh my gosh, I would have been furious! I cannot stand that type of entitlement 'pay attention to me' type of thinking... I live in N. Idaho and we have a TON of hiking trails here. It is amazing how many people take their dogs hiking off-leash and then think I should be so honored that their dogs run up to me, jump on me (getting my hiking pants all wet and muddy in the process), and get my (leashed) dog all riled up. I am always amazed at the attitudes of the owners if I express my displeasure at their dogs jumping on me... as if I am some sort of dog hater. I absolutely ADORE dogs but I do not want yours jumping all over me. If the trail states leashed animals only, keep them on a leash. You (generalized you) are no more special than anyone else. If the trails allow non-leashed animals, train them to not jump on others when they see them. Sorry about getting OT, this just REALLY irritates me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter