Dinner review of San Angel Inn

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
I know that many folks consider this a romantic place to eat. I'd agree--if you had a table right next to the River of Time, and if the restaurant were mostly empty. As for us--if our table had been farther away from the River we'd have been in the lobby where they sell gifts and such!! And the place was absolutely full-those w/o ADR's were being turned away. But worst of all was how close the tables were!! Without (much) exaggeration, I was as close to the lady at the next table as I was to Mrs Uncleromulus!!! I feel somewhat sorry for the servers at san Angel--almost no room to move, and a "din" that makes it hard to hear anything the patrons are saying.

OK--that preamble sort of sets the stage for the meal we had that night. It had been over 10 years since we last ate at San Angel, and our so-so experience then kept us from going back. But this trip was with other couples, and one of them just HAD to eat at SanAngel. Since we wanted to see Illuminations anyway, we made our ADR's for 7:00 on a Monday night. It turned out to be barely enough time. We had a 15 minute wait for the table, and service was so slow that it was 8:55 before we were able to leave the restaurant. Fortunately, Epcot wasn't particlarly crowded, so we found a viewing spot quickly enough.

Our server was fashinably late in getting to our table to take our drink orders, but in his defense he seemed to have at least three other tables of multiple diners to serve, and really didn't dawdle--he was just too busy to do a good job. Mrs U had a frozen Margarita, while I opted for the Dos Equis Lager draft. I'd have preferred the Dos Equis Amber--but of course that's NOT what they have on draft, so I settled for the lager. Served with the usual lime it (and the Margarita) was pretty good. Trouble was--it took almost 15 minutes for us to get our drinks! I ordered a second one just as soon as the first one came out, and Mrs U did the same for her drinks. Don't like doing that, but the slow service handwriting was on the wall--.

Appetizers were pretty blah--Mrs U had Sopa Azteca (a tortilla soup)while I had the Sope Traditional (a soft corn shell, with chicken, refried beans, tomato sauce, cheese and onions). Both were perfectly ordinary in every way.

The entrees were a bit better--at least Mrs. U's was. She got the Mole Poblano, which is the chicken with some chile spices and a hint of chocolate. Was pretty good and the portion size just right for her. I fared less well with Pollo a las Rajas--described as chicken served over peppers, onions, chile, chorizo sausage and cheese, it really amounted to chicken with cheese sauce. I really couldn't find (or taste) any sausage at all. It wasn't as good as any similar chicken entree you'd find at your local Chilies.

For dessert we got the vanilla flan and the rice pudding--both OK, nothing really special. And coffee to finish off.

To sum things up--San Angel is noisy, tables way to close together, with "rushed" servers (who are trying but seem just too busy). And with very ordinary food. Our meal wasn't a disaster by any means--it just wasn't very enjoyable.

By the way--that lady at the table next to me had a margarita and Mole Poblano. No appetizer or dessert. :)

Sorry to hear about your experience. I used to love to go and get one of their appetizers (can't remember the name...........it was a cheese, pepper, and chorizo mix that they placed in tortillas........YUM!), but then went in 2003 for dinner before my Breathless cruise, I became very ill shortly after leaving the restaurant and the cruise ended up having to leave late. I know that it may have had nothing to do with the restaurant, but that's all that I could think about from that moment on. :crazy2: :sick:

Thanks for the review, I pretty much feel the same way you do about the food. The last time I ate there was at lunch time and before the dining plan, but the tables were still very, very close together. :crowded:

Your review of San Angel Inn sounds just like one I could have written. We ate there for the first time during free dining last year. It was packed, noisy, and the tables were extremely close together. I also think they forgot about us and didn't seat us until after I complained a few times. Our server had almost no knowledge of the DP, and he was very hard to understand. As far as food, I ordered the same as you(the OP) and I totally agree with your review of it. The food wasn't horrible by any means, but it was just enough that we won't be going back for awhile. There are too many other places we like too much to eat at a so-so place, with so-so food and so-so service.

Thanx for the review ~ We tried San Angel twice, to give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt, after the first meal. If we are in Epcot and fancy Mexican food we eat at the CS place instead.

We really enjoyed it. We did have a table right by the river (it was ds' birthday and he requested it) and it was fairly crowded, but after dinner we went on the rio del tempo ride and when we floated past our table, it was cleared, but no one was sitting there yet, so it wasn't extremely crowded.

I got the Mole Poblano and loved it. Yum! I can't remember what anyone else got.

The only thing I didn't like was the Coke. It tasted really funny. Blech.

This was our least favorite meal on our last trip. I like their CS much better.

This is too bad that you didn't like it. :( My family is a huge fan of the tortilla soup :thumbsup2 and we looove the atmosphere. We always request a table by the water. Oh well, more room for us :)

mdhkitten said:
Sorry to hear about your experience. I used to love to go and get one of their appetizers (can't remember the name...........it was a cheese, pepper, and chorizo mix that they placed in tortillas........YUM!), but then went in 2003 for dinner before my Breathless cruise, I became very ill shortly after leaving the restaurant and the cruise ended up having to leave late. I know that it may have had nothing to do with the restaurant, but that's all that I could think about from that moment on. :crazy2: :sick:

Funny, I was very sick to my stomach the last two times we ate there. I used to like it, but the appeal waned after that...

Doesn't sound like we're missing an awful lot. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the review! I always get an anxious feeling when I enter the building- aside from a previous so-so meal I nearly got into a fight in the ladies room several years ago! :eek:

Sorry your dinner experience wasn't better. The mole poblano has been my choice there as well. The missing chorizo in your entree is just what happened with the Queso Fundido that used to be on the menu. Many years ago there used to be a fair amount of chorizo and peppers in the dish. As the years went by, less and less until it was pretty much cheese on soft tortillas. :lmao:

BCV23 said:
Sorry your dinner experience wasn't better. The mole poblano has been my choice there as well. The missing chorizo in your entree is just what happened with the Queso Fundido that used to be on the menu. Many years ago there used to be a fair amount of chorizo and peppers in the dish. As the years went by, less and less until it was pretty much cheese on soft tortillas. :lmao:

Thanks for posting this! It was driving me crazy trying to remember my favorite appetizer that I used to get. I agree..........it used to be REALLY good, but went downhill over the years.

Thank you, Uncle! Your review makes my wistfulness fade a bit.

I had never, prior to this trip, been to Mexico. I adored Rio Del Tiempo and when I saw San Angel, it took my breath away! It is exactly like the Blue Bayou restaurant in DL as you enter POC there. That was 8 years ago, and I still remember the feeling I got when I saw it. I had that feeling again when we loaded onto the boat ride last week.pixiedust:

So now that I have read you review, I won't expect more than a tasty Margarita when I get back to San Angel!!!

Glad to read another of your reviews. We have dined at San Angel Inn twice and both times had so so meals. The first time we dined there they put us in a side room that was in a terrible location. Last time we sat right next to the water. Ther Margarita's are very good though.....

I'm sad to hear your dinner was not a good one...I agree the tables are too close together and the noise level is too high. But I love the entree you had-mine always has lots of chorizo in it.
I make the recipe at home now..it's in the current Disney cookbook that is sold at the parks.

Hopefully you will never go to WDW again with someone who just has to eat there. :)

We went a few years ago and were underimpressed. My DH wants to go again and I am cringing. Sorry you did not enjoy your meal. The atmosphere is beautiful though.

I enjoyed your review. As I read about people's choices on these boards, I keep being surprised by people wanting to go there! We are from Texas where there is a plethora of Mexican restaurants - good, bad and middlin... we found San Angelo to be bad - not even middlin for the food. Bland velveeta kind of cheese and no spices. Mexican food is spicy! I won't be going back except maybe for a margarita.

Thanks for another great review. It's been more than 10 years since I've eaten there (and I don't remember liking it then) so it's good to know I'm not missing anything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter