Dinner review of the Brown Derby

Thanks for the review, we've only gone to Brown Derby once a few years ago and we were pretty underwhelmed too. :rolleyes:

Lonegungirl:
Agree with with your comparison of a fancy restaurant to a nice eatery in a theme park.
You stated the essential difference between "then and now" much better than I did!!

Uncleromulus said:
As I said we've done the Brown Derby around 10 times now and frankly, I much prefer the "old " Derby. Back then you could get a drink at the Catwalk bar. They had a very good piano player entertaining most evenings. The place was not crowded at all--much slower paced meal and service. And once in awhile a "Street-mos-phere" character would wander in, sit down near (or even with) you and carry on a short conversation. But I think Fantasmic changed all that. The piano player is history, the Derby is almost always crowded, with a brisk --even frantic -pace--and there are lots of kids.

We have to agree. Unfortunately, we never took the opportunity to enjoy the Catwalk bar when it was open, but used to love the piano player.

If I remember correctly, the last trip we had the opportunity to enjoy the piano player was December 1999. That position was cut just prior to, or shortly after 9/11. The loss really did change the atmosphere of the restaurant.

However, we have found a way to "beat" the crowds. For a evening Fantasmic meal, as long as it is a cool day, we ask to be seated outside.

But usually it is our tradition to make it our last meal before we fly home. We find that a late afternoon meal, and a boat ride back to the Boardwalk, is the perfect way to end a WDW vacation!

Thanks for the review, especially on the beer! I didn't notice that when were there, I'll pay attention next time!

Uncleromulus said:
Summing things up--Brown Derby is still probably the best restaurant at MGM, but it isn't what it used to be. Crowded, lots of kids, with a "rushed" feeling to the whole experience. Food is good but not memorable. IF you are staying around for Fantasmic it's a good place to eat. For us (since we see Fantasmic only every 3 years or so) we will probably skip it for several years.
Gee, we were there in September and didn't find it *that* crowded and there wasn't a lot of kids the night we were there. We thought it was the best meal we had - Mom had the grouper and I had the filet - and we'll definitely go back next time. It's really interesting how many different opinions on restaurants there are :goodvibes

I ordered the grouper to.I was there in September also. It was full but i did not feel rushed at all. Matter of the fact, the waiter recommended the fish
and i am glad he did.

Thanks for another great review! I always enjoy reading your reviews.

UncleR, what's your favorite WDW restaurant? If it's V&A's, what's your second favorite?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter