DIS Fit 2020: New Hopes and Goals

Anyone still reading? I hope everyone is doing well. I know lots of you must be making the difficult decision of whether to send your kiddos back to in class learning. You have my sympathies. I'm glad I don't have to think about that.

I'm looking for some support/advice. I just cancelled my January 2021 trip. I don't know why I held on so long, it was really a no brainer. So now I'm thinking it's at least a year until I visit again. Probably next fall. I started trying to lose weight at the beginning of the summer and I'm down about 10 pounds but I'm stuck. I could stand to lose at least another 50. It's been a challenge though, since I have arthritis pain in my hips and one knee, and now plantar fasciitis in my foot. I just can't win here. Walking is the exercise I always did before I started to get arthritis. The pool and gym in my building are closed for the foreseeable future. I do some hand weights to build muscle, and my physio showed me 2 core exercises I can do. Do any of you have suggestions for getting moving? I believe my pain would be less if I could lose enough weight.
As I write this I can imagine you all thinking I'm crazy for wanting to spend my vacation time in a place that requires so much walking. :confused3 I love the place, and as a woman mostly travelling solo, I feel safe there.

I'm still around, plodding along. The weather has cooled so walking should be easier, but it's been a busy week before kiddo goes back to school next week so I haven't been able to be consistent, hopefully next week once he's off at school. At least temporarily.

From what I understand, weight loss is 80%+ what you eat. However, for myself, if I don't walk at least 17K steps a day, I barely lose anything. And if I do it's because I am eating extremely healthy and small. I have heard good things about intermittent fasting, but have a hard time with that myself since I also have to feed my son. Perhaps once he's back at school I would find it easier, only eat when he is home from school and dinner. I'm supposed to be doing WW but have been rather bad at actually tracking what I am eating and eating well. I think if you lose weight it is a much bigger difference to your joints, so perhaps losing even 5 lbs would make walking and such easier. I know with Plantar Fascitis (I had that 3 summers ago right before my Disney trip... that was hard!) Rest and stretches are the best for healing it. There are inserts you can get as well but they didn't fit in many of my shoes. I wish our pools were open for the "fun" stuff so kiddo would go and I can swim some laps. But that won't happen for awhile. Walking will be it and I need to step it up.

Ohh plantar fascitis can be so hard to get rid of. It hits me on and off. It came back in the summer of 2012 a couple of weeks before my husband & I were going to Boston. I could barely walk. It was more like hobbling really. I was searching store-to-store trying to find a pair of runners and came across the most fantastic pair. They cushioned my heels and let me walk. $200! :scared: After 3 days of searching they were the only ones I found that helped so I plunked down my debit card... Best decision I ever made! Those shoes helped so much! I wouldn't have been able to tour Boston without them. By the end of 212, my feet were fine again. After that, every year until late 2018 I would buy a new pair. These are the ASICS Gel-Kayano. The new model every year cost $200-$225. The previous year models are cheaper. BEST. RUNNER. EVER! The only one I have found that supports my feet and keeps away plantar fascitis.

Late 2018 it started coming back. For the first 4 months of the year I had been using the treadmill for an hour every day and wore them out. Asics changed their sizing that year or the year before so I couldn't find a size 10 that fit properly. I bought a different type of Asics and regretted it. The pain got worse. All through 2019. I gave up on the treadmill. By the time we went to Universal in August, my feet were in agony every evening. I was so looking forward to walking from Cabana Bay to the parks but we did it our first day there and I couldn't handle it. We'd walk across the street and take the boat instead. I also then found out my son started having the same issue while we were on vacation. Turns out he started having foot pain a couple months ago or more and just never mentioned it.

Earlier this year (late January?) I looked up Asics gel-kayano online and found the sizing went back to normal with their next model. I bought two pairs (one for the treadmill). I also made my son choose that particular model (his choice of color) and bought it. The foot pain slowly went away again! In July I started walking 6 KM a day (yeah, that only lasted 3 weeks) I discovered I had no more foot pain! We are getting a treadmill delivered at the end of the month so my goal is to get back into 1 hour a day on the treadmill again.

My daughter has had the same issue for a few years as well. I made her buy these shoes a couple of years ago and the pain went away. She no longer needs her shoe orthodics. Every time she needs a new pair, I tell her she has to get the gel-kayano.

Everyone finds different shoes work best for them but I wanted to tell you about this in case it helps you. These shoes enable me to walk! Maybe they'll work for you.

Anyone still reading? I hope everyone is doing well. I know lots of you must be making the difficult decision of whether to send your kiddos back to in class learning. You have my sympathies. I'm glad I don't have to think about that.

I'm looking for some support/advice. I just cancelled my January 2021 trip. I don't know why I held on so long, it was really a no brainer. So now I'm thinking it's at least a year until I visit again. Probably next fall. I started trying to lose weight at the beginning of the summer and I'm down about 10 pounds but I'm stuck. I could stand to lose at least another 50. It's been a challenge though, since I have arthritis pain in my hips and one knee, and now plantar fasciitis in my foot. I just can't win here. Walking is the exercise I always did before I started to get arthritis. The pool and gym in my building are closed for the foreseeable future. I do some hand weights to build muscle, and my physio showed me 2 core exercises I can do. Do any of you have suggestions for getting moving? I believe my pain would be less if I could lose enough weight.
As I write this I can imagine you all thinking I'm crazy for wanting to spend my vacation time in a place that requires so much walking. I love the place, and as a woman mostly travelling solo, I feel safe there.
Hi AdamsMum! Something that DH and I are using is Grow Young Fitness It is an exercise program that is done from the chair and standing. It has foundation exercises and then there are some extra workouts-cardio, strength, core, yoga, chair boxing and some for therapy-knee, hips, arthritis, and more. If you go to the website, they have some sample exercises. They have more intense (and floor) exercises with Bloom Young Fitness. I'm paying $20US a month, but we find it a good variety of workouts and it includes balance with DH needs due to an accident decades ago-and I'm glad to do them, too.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to look in to the shoes and the grow young fitness. I've been on vacation this week, at home of course. Trying to rest up my foot, and doing the stretches recommended by my physio. I guess this is something that can take a few months to go away.

arlier this year (late January?) I looked up Asics gel-kayano online and found the sizing went back to normal with their next model. I bought two pairs (one for the treadmill). I also made my son choose that particular model (his choice of color) and bought it. The foot pain slowly went away again! In July I started walking 6 KM a day (yeah, that only lasted 3 weeks) I discovered I had no more foot pain! We are getting a treadmill delivered at the end of the month so my goal is to get back into 1 hour a day on the treadmill again.

My daughter has had the same issue for a few years as well. I made her buy these shoes a couple of years ago and the pain went away. She no longer needs her shoe orthodics. Every time she needs a new pair, I tell her she has to get the gel-kayano.

Everyone finds different shoes work best for them but I wanted to tell you about this in case it helps you. These shoes enable me to walk! Maybe they'll work for you.
They have so many different versions of the shoe so which one did you buy?

I'm glad you guys reactivated this thread. I've been meaning to get back to walking each morning. It was a really hot summer here in Ottawa but that excuse is gone now.

I will bite the bullet and put it out into the world that I will start up again tomorrow. Anyone else going to join the virtual morning (or afternoon) walk? No specific distance required just get out and get moving. After a week or two add another 5 or 10 minutes to your walk time.

I'm glad you guys reactivated this thread. I've been meaning to get back to walking each morning. It was a really hot summer here in Ottawa but that excuse is gone now.

I will bite the bullet and put it out into the world that I will start up again tomorrow. Anyone else going to join the virtual morning (or afternoon) walk? No specific distance required just get out and get moving. After a week or two add another 5 or 10 minutes to your walk time.

I'd like to. I really need to start up. Tomorrow for me!

As I write this I can imagine you all thinking I'm crazy for wanting to spend my vacation time in a place that requires so much walking. :confused3 I love the place, and as a woman mostly travelling solo, I feel safe there.

Hi Hon

I have been looking for something to get me through the Fall and Winter and
maybe just become part of my life routine.

I have hip & knee issues also. (Arthritis and recurrent popliteal cyst ).
I can walk but keeping myself motivated to do this is my issue.

I am fairly short 4 foot 11 inches and have recently found putting a small stool,,foot rest under my computer takes the strain off my hips when sitting at the computer.

I was looking at getting a exercise ball and finding some good online exercises.
I do like dancing in the privacy of my own home.(sons think I'm nuts).

No you are not crazy at all,,my favorite holiday is doing the GREAT Disney walks and Universal Orlando walks. I just need to stay motivated enough to stay in somewhat half decent shape so I can continue to do them.I am also a mostly solo traveler and I agree I feel safe in the Disney bubble.

So I guess it's now up to us....time to use it & lose it right?

I commit to one walk a day,,,,as far as I can.

Next step choosing the right size exercise ball
https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/choosing-right-exercise-ball
Hugs to you
Mel

Last edited:
So I'm off the Pandemic school thread,,sometimes for your own emotional health/wellbeing you have to make these decisions.

So Gang I have been accepted to do online distance learning this year and I must tell you I am excited & also a bit nervous.
I will be giving up many things I value that are part of my everyday life.
I am struggling a bit emotionally with family/friends that are going back and I am worried for them.

I know I am going to need to work very hard to keep myself *FIT* this year, both physically and mentally.

Hope some of you are coming along for the ride!

Big Hugs To You All
Mel

Last edited:
So I'm off the Pandemic school thread,,sometimes for your own emotional health/wellbeing you have to make these decisions.

So Gang I have been accepted to do online distance learning this year and I must tell you I am excited & also a bit nervous.
View attachment 523812
I will be giving up many things I value that are part of my everyday life.
I am struggling a bit emotionally with family/friends that are going back and I am worried for them.

I know I am going to need to work very hard to keep myself *FIT* this year, both physically and mentally.

Hope some of you are coming along for the ride!

Big Hugs To You All
Mel
Hugs, Mel. I know how hard it must have been to make that decision. I know that you love working with the kids. You're right though, it will take some effort to stay on top of the fitness thing. I know that that is an issue that I have, having been retired now for 5 years. I understand the worry for family and friends, but I am praying that this will actually work out, with some minor blips. While Dougie says he'll "shut 'er down", I have no faith that that will happen, so hopefully, all of us doing the right thing will prevent a major blowout down the line. Good for you for stepping up to provide the online learning for those who can't go back just yet. ((((hugs))))

I took the dog for a walk this afternoon, it was nice and the weather was good. My legs are still sore from all the walking at the zoo though, so it was a little rough! But nice to get outside in the fresh air.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter