Disney Career Start Parent Thread

Iris

Not-so-secretly wishing to own the Disney Wonder
Hello to all,

With the letters beginning to arrive, I thought it would be nice to have our own parent thread where we can ask questions and find out as much information before they check in.

I am CrazySteph's mom and she was accepted into QSFB. I was not aware until today that QSFB gets a pay premium which is nice. I think we plan to arrive around August 30th and we will be driving down so that Steph can have her car there.

She has started getting her packing list together and I know the next few months will fly by.

Hello to all,

With the letters beginning to arrive, I thought it would be nice to have our own parent thread where we can ask questions and find out as much information before they check in.

I am CrazySteph's mom and she was accepted into QSFB. I was not aware until today that QSFB gets a pay premium which is nice. I think we plan to arrive around August 30th and we will be driving down so that Steph can have her car there.

She has started getting her packing list together and I know the next few months will fly by.

Hello everyone ...

Im Lisa .. Nichele's mom ... she was accepted into Merch. I know she is very excited to get into this program. We live only 2 hours away but we will be arriving the day be4 .. just to spend some one on one time with our daughter be4 she leaves .:sad1: .... im just really happy she has made
some friends on here and there all starting this journey together!

I want to thank Steph's mom for starting this thread for us parents .... I know we all have alot of questions and wondering where do we start and what we need to do be4 our kids leave ... so its great to have other parents in the same boat as me!

I know Nichele is starting her list on what to bring .. but i am not sure what all she should bring ... any suggestion? ...

Stephanie has already pulled the "what to bring" list from the website. I was suprised about the wireless router. I am wondering now what type of router to bring. I thought I had read something about wireless and cable connection so I am really wondering if it is necessary to have the router at all.

I have already seen some very small student desks so I think we will bring one that can be assembled there.

I would like Steph to have an account over at Partners Credit Union so it will be easier to access her funds rather than keeping an account back home. I am already a member of Partners (former castmember) so I think this is the best solution for us.

I am trying to figure out how much money she will need to bring with her initially since their rent will be taken out of their pay.

Ahhh, so many questions......

Stephanie has already pulled the "what to bring" list from the website. I was suprised about the wireless router. I am wondering now what type of router to bring. I thought I had read something about wireless and cable connection so I am really wondering if it is necessary to have the router at all.

I have already seen some very small student desks so I think we will bring one that can be assembled there.

I would like Steph to have an account over at Partners Credit Union so it will be easier to access her funds rather than keeping an account back home. I am already a member of Partners (former castmember) so I think this is the best solution for us.

I am trying to figure out how much money she will need to bring with her initially since their rent will be taken out of their pay.

Ahhh, so many questions......

Is Partners Credit Union direct depost? .... Is that the only place its that disney allows direct deposit too? .. OR can you use any other bank? ..

We were wondering the same thing about the router too .. Nichele said she read on a post that the wireless is as slow as dial up .. but she wasnt sure... maybe that is why they want u to bring a router..

We are tryin to figure out how much she needs to bring to start off with .. i have read in some places ppl were bring around 200 dollars but that sounds low to me ... cuz they dont get paided for the first 2 wks right? .. and u also get 2 wks worth of rent taken out too ...

Your right ... soooo many questions so far ..lol .. and this is just the beginning ..lol

I am not a mom but with wireless routers if they decide to bring one, I would suggest one with a password protection. The reason why they get so slow is because people try to piggyback off of them so they should get one that has a password so only them and anyone else they want to be able to use it. I don't know if they all are password protected because the one I have here at home is. Just a suggestion!

I am not a mom but with wireless routers if they decide to bring one, I would suggest one with a password protection. The reason why they get so slow is because people try to piggyback off of them so they should get one that has a password so only them and anyone else they want to be able to use it. I don't know if they all are password protected because the one I have here at home is. Just a suggestion!

Thank you!!:) ... thats a great idea ..

Hi everyone! I'm Linda.
My son is Nick- but he doesn't have a DIS name yet- he's going to sign up tomorrow. He just got his acceptance today and will be a life guard. That was his first choice and he is THRILLED! (and I am almost as thrilled as he is ;))

Nick has a car- but it's ancient (1992 Toyota). It's great for driving around here, but we are concerned about a long distance drive from New Jersey. Most likely we will be coming down on the auto-train (save putting those miles on the car) and hope to arrive a day or 2 before he has to check in. DH & I will most likely fly home. I don't know- so much to decide!

I think it's a terrific idea to have a place for us parents to come and chat and share ideas about sending our kids off to have the best time they could ever imagine!!

Is Partners Credit Union direct depost? .... Is that the only place its that disney allows direct deposit too? .. OR can you use any other bank? ..

We were wondering the same thing about the router too .. Nichele said she read on a post that the wireless is as slow as dial up .. but she wasnt sure... maybe that is why they want u to bring a router..

We are tryin to figure out how much she needs to bring to start off with .. i have read in some places ppl were bring around 200 dollars but that sounds low to me ... cuz they dont get paided for the first 2 wks right? .. and u also get 2 wks worth of rent taken out too ...

Your right ... soooo many questions so far ..lol .. and this is just the beginning ..lol

I am sure they could have direct deposit with any bank in the country. Our banks here however are locally owned so for her to access funds through an ATM, she would be paying ATM fees right and left. Last time I spoke with Partners, they told me they even have an ATM in the Utilidor under Magic Kindgom so it would be easy for her to access funds if she needs them. I have been pretty happy with Partners, they do offer extremely low rates for things like auto loans, we are on our second car loan through them. Also, once a member of Partners, always a member. I haven't worked for Disney since 2004 and I am able to continue with Partners.

I have read some of the boards about starting funds and one person said they went down with $300 and it went really fast. Stephanie will be working all summer so hopefully she will have a good amount to start with.

Good suggestion for the router...ours in our home is also password protected and it is always a great idea. We also read that they must have an up to date antivirus program and firewall to access the internet, I imagine it has similar security systems as universities - my older daughter must keep her software protection programs current in order to access the university internet.

Hi Linda, happy for your son Nick. I had a niece that worked over at Blizzard Beach as a lifeguard and she really enjoyed it.

I am sure they could have direct deposit with any bank in the country. Our banks here however are locally owned so for her to access funds through an ATM, she would be paying ATM fees right and left. Last time I spoke with Partners, they told me they even have an ATM in the Utilidor under Magic Kindgom so it would be easy for her to access funds if she needs them. I have been pretty happy with Partners, they do offer extremely low rates for things like auto loans, we are on our second car loan through them. Also, once a member of Partners, always a member. I haven't worked for Disney since 2004 and I am able to continue with Partners.

I have read some of the boards about starting funds and one person said they went down with $300 and it went really fast. Stephanie will be working all summer so hopefully she will have a good amount to start with.

Good suggestion for the router...ours in our home is also password protected and it is always a great idea. We also read that they must have an up to date antivirus program and firewall to access the internet, I imagine it has similar security systems as universities - my older daughter must keep her software protection programs current in order to access the university internet.

Hi Linda, happy for your son Nick. I had a niece that worked over at Blizzard Beach as a lifeguard and she really enjoyed it.

Hi Linda...congrats to your son. Im sure that he is very excited, as is my daughter. I just have a quick question. If we used the partner's bank, will I be able to add more money to it in case of emergency?

I agree that $300 would not be enough money to start off with. My daughter will be working through the summer, but we wanted to make sure that she has a good amount to begin with.

My daughter and I have been watching videos on youtube, and it has some really good suggestions about what to bring, such as hangers, and hooks for the closet doors. Stuff we didnt even think about! lol

I just have a quick question. If we used the partner's bank, will I be able to add more money to it in case of emergency?

Partners offers Shared Branch Services so you could check through this link:

http://www.partnersfcu.org/access/default.asp?content=shared

It will take you to a network and then you can enter your zip code to see if there are shared services. We have several credit unions that offer the services for another CU so for instance, if I do not want to mail my car payment to Partners in California, I can go to one of the shared branches with my payment slip and make the payment right there. Not all of them will offer deposits, you will have to look to see what is available in your area and then see what specific service they offer. Not all of them offer all services.

As for emergency funding, I can tell you that I had to send some money to my daughter at college and I needed to get it to her fast. She also has a credit union account at school but unfortunately I could not find any shared branches. I was however able to do a wire transfer to her bank account as long as I had her bank information. I contacted the credit union and they gave me the information I needed to make the transfer from our bank account to her credit union. There was a small fee for it, but it really saved the day.

Partners offers Shared Branch Services so you could check through this link:

http://www.partnersfcu.org/access/default.asp?content=shared

It will take you to a network and then you can enter your zip code to see if there are shared services. We have several credit unions that offer the services for another CU so for instance, if I do not want to mail my car payment to Partners in California, I can go to one of the shared branches with my payment slip and make the payment right there. Not all of them will offer deposits, you will have to look to see what is available in your area and then see what specific service they offer. Not all of them offer all services.

As for emergency funding, I can tell you that I had to send some money to my daughter at college and I needed to get it to her fast. She also has a credit union account at school but unfortunately I could not find any shared branches. I was however able to do a wire transfer to her bank account as long as I had her bank information. I contacted the credit union and they gave me the information I needed to make the transfer from our bank account to her credit union. There was a small fee for it, but it really saved the day.

Thank you .. I checked and the closest one to me is about an hour or so away, so that isnt goin to work for me. But lucky for us .. im only a few hours away, so if anything bad came up and she needed some money. I could drive up there and give it to her, but I was wondering about the parents who do live out of state. What would they do ?...

LOL .. Sorry, Nichele was using my computer to chat on the other threads ...

My daughter did the Fall 2009 CP and is waiting to hear if she got in for the summer alum program.

Heres what we learned from the last program. You will need a router but it's best to wait until you meet your roommates before you buy one. If everyone shows up with one it would be a waste of money to have 5 more sitting around.

$300 bucks wont cut it for someone setting up house from a different state. We're three thousand miles from DW so all she could take is what fit in two bags. It's also hard to travel these days with hair and skin products so we shipped them UPS. UPS will deliver right to your door, US Mail does not.

In our case she stayed with her bank here at home. She left with over $500 in cash and ran out before she got a REAL check (at three weeks) so for us it was easy to make a deposit for her. IMO they need to be able to go out and meet the people they are working with and not sit home because they have no funds.

And last but not least ..... $60 will save you an early plane ticket home. That will buy you two web cams so your homesick child can see your face. They will get homesick ... trust me on this one. The web service at Disney is fast enough to use Skype. It's a free service you should learn how to use before they go.

Good luck :thumbsup2

OP, I've seen your daughter over on the Teen Board some, so tell her congrats!

And obviously I'm not a mom, but I can help you with some of your questions. There is no wireless internet, but they do provide internet. You need the wireless router if you'll be using a laptop.

You can keep your local bank, get direct deposit, and just get cash back at the grocery store if you need cash. This is my plan. That way if my mom ever needed to give me money, she can easily transfer money into my account. I rarely use cash anyway, for for things like laundry, I just plan to get some cash back when I go grocery shopping.

The paychecks come on Thursday, so if their check in date is on a Monday (for example) they won't get a paycheck until the second Thursday they are there. Then their NEXT paycheck will have 2 weeks of rent taken out. It's not until about their third paycheck that they'll actually get fully paid. So I agree that $300 might not be enough (especially because there's usually meet and greet dinners to attend and all kinds of apartment things to buy that first week).

My daughter did the Fall 2009 CP and is waiting to hear if she got in for the summer alum program.

Heres what we learned from the last program. You will need a router but it's best to wait until you meet your roommates before you buy one. If everyone shows up with one it would be a waste of money to have 5 more sitting around.

$300 bucks wont cut it for someone setting up house from a different state. We're three thousand miles from DW so all she could take is what fit in two bags. It's also hard to travel these days with hair and skin products so we shipped them UPS. UPS will deliver right to your door, US Mail does not.

In our case she stayed with her bank here at home. She left with over $500 in cash and ran out before she got a REAL check (at three weeks) so for us it was easy to make a deposit for her. IMO they need to be able to go out and meet the people they are working with and not sit home because they have no funds.

And last but not least ..... $60 will save you an early plane ticket home. That will buy you two web cams so your homesick child can see your face. They will get homesick ... trust me on this one. The web service at Disney is fast enough to use Skype. It's a free service you should learn how to use before they go.

Good luck :thumbsup2

Thank you for the info. It will come in handy when the time comes for her to leave. I love Skype, we use it ALL the time here to talk to my brother and sister.

Thanks for the hints and tips!
I love the Skype idea. We both already have built in webcams on our laptops- so we just need to learn how to use them (well... at least I do, he probably already knows ;))

Nick was away at college last school year ('08-'09)- so we already have all the stuff he bought for his dorm room- bedding, bathroom stuff, router, etc. I feel like we have a good head start in that arena.
He did come home just about every weekend though- so not have any home breaks will take some getting used to.

He already has his banking set up wit USAA- so it's easy for us to get money to him if necessary and they do not charge ATM fees. He will use direct deposit. And the idea of using your debit card at the supermarket and getting extra cash is terrific. :thumbsup2 That will save ATM fees for most kids.

Nick accepted his offer today online. He starts 9/1 also. I hate that it's a Wednesday. Takes up too many work days. Now we just have to figure out the logisitics of getting him down there. DH has very little available vacation time- we've already allotted that to 2 Disney vacations this year! (no kids) :rotfl:

Oh Skype, I hadn't thought of that at all. I have installed Skype on my computer except that I currently do not have a working microphone. But that is a great suggestion to keep in touch.

I think that we will be there long enough to wait on the router and if others show up with it, I agree, it would be a waste to purchase one in advance.

I am hoping Stephanie saves enough during the summer to have a good amount of funds when she checks in. Her sister worked a great deal the summer before her first year of college and had enough to never run out of funds. Now granted she is in college and is different, but it gives me an idea of what she may need.

I think the most difficult thing for us will be that she is not in driving distance. Her sister is able to jump in her car and visit on an occasional weekend. It is nice knowing she is so close. This will not be the case with Steph but I guess we will all survive. I can at least take comfort that three of my best friends work at Disney. One of them is area manager for entertainment, atmosphere entertainers and photopass photographers for Animal Kingdom. Another works landscaping over at Epcot and the third one works over at the Wilderness Lodge gift shop. This makes it easier for me to have her so far.

I was wondering also about Steph bringing a small television. I don't remember reading if a tv is supplied or not. We have a small flat screen she could bring but not sure if she will need it. The website mentions bringing a small student desk but I am not sure how much space she will have for that. Should I just wait until we get there to see how much room there is?

Also, the girls on the CS thread have mentioned bringing a minifridge, are they allowed to bring one?

Sorry, minifridges aren't allowed. And the apartments don't come with TVs, so if you have an extra one, she should bring it!

I'm not really sure why she'd need a desk. There's a desk near the internet hookup (to put desk tops on) that she could us, and there's always the dining room table. I would save that money and put it towards other things. :)

Oh Skype, I hadn't thought of that at all. I have installed Skype on my computer except that I currently do not have a working microphone. But that is a great suggestion to keep in touch.

I think that we will be there long enough to wait on the router and if others show up with it, I agree, it would be a waste to purchase one in advance.

I am hoping Stephanie saves enough during the summer to have a good amount of funds when she checks in. Her sister worked a great deal the summer before her first year of college and had enough to never run out of funds. Now granted she is in college and is different, but it gives me an idea of what she may need.

I think the most difficult thing for us will be that she is not in driving distance. Her sister is able to jump in her car and visit on an occasional weekend. It is nice knowing she is so close. This will not be the case with Steph but I guess we will all survive. I can at least take comfort that three of my best friends work at Disney. One of them is area manager for entertainment, atmosphere entertainers and photopass photographers for Animal Kingdom. Another works landscaping over at Epcot and the third one works over at the Wilderness Lodge gift shop. This makes it easier for me to have her so far.

I was wondering also about Steph bringing a small television. I don't remember reading if a tv is supplied or not. We have a small flat screen she could bring but not sure if she will need it. The website mentions bringing a small student desk but I am not sure how much space she will have for that. Should I just wait until we get there to see how much room there is?

Also, the girls on the CS thread have mentioned bringing a minifridge, are they allowed to bring one?

I know you need to bring a TV, cuz the apartments dont supply one.. As for the mini-fridge im not sure .. i was planning on calling up there and asking them ...

I think if your coming from out of town maybe you should wait until you get there so you all can see the apartments and see how big the place is and what all you need ...

Nichele is planning on working all summer and hopefully will have enough .. we told her she needed to save everything so she will have enough money ..

Has anyone started there liste yet?

We're trying to start.
We have a small flat panel TV he can bring. Do you know if there is cable in each of the bedrooms- or just in the living room? So, would multiple people bring TVs and have them in their rooms PLUS the living room? That's what he did last year at school- so I am assuming it's the same type of setup- cable hook-ups everywhere. (Plus the guys really like their video games- so multiple TV are almost required ;))

Does anyone know if there is only one bathroom per apartment? Or one per bedroom? How many kids will they have to share with?

And laundry- I thought I read somewhere that only Chatham has free laundry? What do the kids at the other complexes do? Do they all have laundry and just some places have to pay? That sounds weird to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter