Disney Career Start Parent Thread

The amount of bathrooms per apartment varies by complex, but in Chatham and Patterson it's a one bedroom to one bathroom set up. Like I'm planning on getting a 3 bedroom at Chatham, and it will have 3 bathrooms.

There are two people per room; no exceptions. So in the one bedroom apartment, there will be two people.

All of the complexes except The Commons (where the international kids stay) have laundry rooms. It's $1 per wash or dry. At Vista there are washers/dryers in each building, but at Chatham and Patterson there are laundry rooms located around the complex.

And if you want a list of things that are not allowed in the apartments, tell your daughter/son to check out the website after they log in. I'm not sure about Career Start, but the CP website has a list of things to bring/not to bring.

The amount of bathrooms per apartment varies by complex, but in Chatham and Patterson it's a one bedroom to one bathroom set up. Like I'm planning on getting a 3 bedroom at Chatham, and it will have 3 bathrooms.

There are two people per room; no exceptions. So in the one bedroom apartment, there will be two people.

All of the complexes except The Commons (where the international kids stay) have laundry rooms. It's $1 per wash or dry. At Vista there are washers/dryers in each building, but at Chatham and Patterson there are laundry rooms located around the complex.

And if you want a list of things that are not allowed in the apartments, tell your daughter/son to check out the website after they log in. I'm not sure about Career Start, but the CP website has a list of things to bring/not to bring.

Where is the site at to log in for the list? She goes on the Offical Site but there isnt a log in place there ...

My Daughter Megan just got in to the program for the Career Start she will be arriving 9-1-10 and departing 1-14-11. She was wondering why it was a short program and when she can extend it.

Lisa

thank you,

we have already did the registration online and got our dates which or 9-1-10 and ends on 1-14-11. She was wanted to extend the program, she wants to stay longer then 4 months and she was wondering how to go about that.

Lisa

We're trying to start.
We have a small flat panel TV he can bring. Do you know if there is cable in each of the bedrooms- or just in the living room? So, would multiple people bring TVs and have them in their rooms PLUS the living room? That's what he did last year at school- so I am assuming it's the same type of setup- cable hook-ups everywhere.

And laundry- I thought I read somewhere that only Chatham has free laundry? What do the kids at the other complexes do? Do they all have laundry and just some places have to pay? That sounds weird to me.

Unfortunately, not every room has cable. I think only Patterson has it in every room. I know Chatham only has it in the living room, so you would need to get a splitter.

It's a hassle, especially when you have the room farthest from the TV and across the hall. I would have had to buy a cord that just laid in the hallway all of the time. I had a TV, but never used it once because of this. So if he decides to live in Chatham, pick the room closest to the wall where the hookup is. My roommates who lived in the room next to that wall easily had the cord just go around the door frame and into their room.

The Commons has free laundry since those ICPs are there upwards of a year. It's a longer commitment.

I was wondering also about Steph bringing a small television. I don't remember reading if a tv is supplied or not. We have a small flat screen she could bring but not sure if she will need it. The website mentions bringing a small student desk but I am not sure how much space she will have for that. Should I just wait until we get there to see how much room there is?

Also, the girls on the CS thread have mentioned bringing a minifridge, are they allowed to bring one?

There really is not room for any kind of desk. It's very cramped the way it is, so unless she put it in the living room, I'm not exactly sure where it would go. I would definitely wait to purchase this.

I'm almost positive they aren't allowed, and they aren't really needed. The fridge space can work. I lived with seven people and we still were able to fit everything. Again, there is no space for one either.

thank you,

we have already did the registration online and got our dates which or 9-1-10 and ends on 1-14-11. She was wanted to extend the program, she wants to stay longer then 4 months and she was wondering how to go about that.

Lisa

She won't be able to do this before she gets down there. They have an option for extending (if your location will allow you to) at some point during the program. It is communicated well, so she won't miss it.

Sorry,

But what do you mean by location, does that mean where she will be living or working

Thanks again for all of the informaion that we have received so far.

Lisa

Sorry,

But what do you mean by location, does that mean where she will be living or working

Lisa

Has your daughter joined the thread for the Career Start Program? There is some information on there too and alot of the kids are talkin and getting to know one another be4 they get there :yay:

BTW congrads to your daughter for getting in ... what did she get?

Sorry,

Lisa

Wherever she is working. Chances are she will also have to change apartments if she extends, so she's living with other people also extending.

For those of you already starting your lists and getting things ready, here is a suggestion from my neice who worked at Blizzard Beach as a life guard:

Make sure if they are bringing an alarm clock, that it has a back up power source (battery backup)!!

On her first day of work over at Blizzard Beach, she was almost late arriving because during the night they had some really bad storms passing through and it knocked out the power for a few hours. Her alarm clock never went off and when she woke up she realized she had only about 10 minutes to get to work on time and almost didn't make it!!

Also, there are a lot of videos posted on youtube about the different complexes. It gives me a better idea of how much space they actually have. You can just type "vista way, chatham or Patterson" in the search box and you will get several results.

Another question: If they are doing the Fall 2010 CS program, are they also allowed to apply for the Spring/Spring Advantage 2011 CS program? Can they do back to back programs? I realize that their time during CS does not get applied to time accumulated if they end up working at the parks full time, but it would give us a bit more time to actually look for a permanent place for her to live if she decides to just stay there afterwards.

She got QSFB don't know where yet, We will be getting there a least a day or 2 earlier so that we can check in on time. She is hopeing that she is working at the animal kingdom becuase she wants to be a zoologist. Are there any hotels near Vista Way since that is were we will be checking in, and also are the parents at least able to be with her to help them get settled in on that first day.

Thanks again

Lisa

She got QSFB don't know where yet, We will be getting there a least a day or 2 earlier so that we can check in on time. She is hopeing that she is working at the animal kingdom becuase she wants to be a zoologist. Are there any hotels near Vista Way since that is were we will be checking in, and also are the parents at least able to be with her to help them get settled in on that first day.

Thanks again

Lisa

She won't know her location until check-in.

There is a Holiday Inn SunSpree pretty much down the street from Vista Way. That's where most people stay before check-in.

The parents can come and there is a tent with information (or table) for them and they are able to ask questions. However, you will not be permitted to go with her through the process. You can go with her to her apartment, however!

Thanks again

Lisa

There are several hotels near by:

Residence Inn on Meadow Creek
Holiday Inn Sun Spree Resort
Marriott Royal-Palms
Marriott World Center

Just to name a few.

The parents can come and there is a tent with information (or table) for them and they are able to ask questions. However, you will not be permitted to go with her through the process. You can go with her to her apartment, however!

That's good to know- I kind of figured they would have to check in on their own, and then need parents for actually moving into the apartment.

I'm just trying to figure out how much time I need to allow after he checks in that morning. I was going to fly back home on Thursday I think, unless there is a reason to stay longer.

What happens after that- will I see him again- or will he get swallowed up in activities, meetings, etc.? How soon does that start?

Oh- and how am I going to get back to Old Key West (which is where we are staying the night or 2 before check in)? If he is busy- I won't have a car. :confused3

I think I read that Traditions is on Day 3- so that must be Friday if check in day is Day 1. Do they have any committments on Day 2- or do they let them have that day to get comfortable, do some shopping and get to know their roommates and neighbors? I know the lifeguards have 3 days of training- which I assume will be right after Traditions.

For those of you already starting your lists and getting things ready, here is a suggestion from my neice who worked at Blizzard Beach as a life guard:

Make sure if they are bringing an alarm clock, that it has a back up power source (battery backup)!!

On her first day of work over at Blizzard Beach, she was almost late arriving because during the night they had some really bad storms passing through and it knocked out the power for a few hours. Her alarm clock never went off and when she woke up she realized she had only about 10 minutes to get to work on time and almost didn't make it!!

Also, there are a lot of videos posted on youtube about the different complexes. It gives me a better idea of how much space they actually have. You can just type "vista way, chatham or Patterson" in the search box and you will get several results.

Another question: If they are doing the Fall 2010 CS program, are they also allowed to apply for the Spring/Spring Advantage 2011 CS program? Can they do back to back programs? I realize that their time during CS does not get applied to time accumulated if they end up working at the parks full time, but it would give us a bit more time to actually look for a permanent place for her to live if she decides to just stay there afterwards.

I know Nichele is wanting to extend into Spring of 2011 ... then she wants to go to the community college for a semtester .. then apply for disney CP ... and work and live there again ...Nichele said she thinks there allowed to do back to back programs .. cuz that is what she wants to do..

We looked on YouTube ... and seen all the apartments .. they seem pretty nice .. it just made Nichele get more excited (although i am not sure how much more excited she can get ..lol)

We are goin shoppin this weekend for some things .. she can wait!

Sorry for Invading. lol

That's good to know- I kind of figured they would have to check in on their own, and then need parents for actually moving into the apartment.

I'm just trying to figure out how much time I need to allow after he checks in that morning. I was going to fly back home on Thursday I think, unless there is a reason to stay longer.

What happens after that- will I see him again- or will he get swallowed up in activities, meetings, etc.? How soon does that start?

Oh- and how am I going to get back to Old Key West (which is where we are staying the night or 2 before check in)? If he is busy- I won't have a car. :confused3

I think I read that Traditions is on Day 3- so that must be Friday if check in day is Day 1. Do they have any committments on Day 2- or do they let them have that day to get comfortable, do some shopping and get to know their roommates and neighbors? I know the lifeguards have 3 days of training- which I assume will be right after Traditions.

My family and I are staying at the Old Key West too! ^.^ but, Oh I don't think we're going to be THAT busy. usually check in day is just check in day and that's it.. (Well, from what I've read)

I know Nichele is wanting to extend into Spring of 2011 ... then she wants to go to the community college for a semtester .. then apply for disney CP ... and work and live there again ...Nichele said she thinks there allowed to do back to back programs .. cuz that is what she wants to do..

We looked on YouTube ... and seen all the apartments .. they seem pretty nice .. it just made Nichele get more excited (although i am not sure how much more excited she can get ..lol)

We are goin shoppin this weekend for some things .. she can wait!

That's what I'm hoping to do too! Hospitality Right? I hope to do a Professional Internship as well! :goodvibes

Tinkerbellegrrl, check-in day is pretty busy (they check-in, get settled in the apartments, go to casting, have a housing meeting, etc) but we have day 2 completely free!

And could you get a taxi back to OKW?

Sorry for Invading. lol

My family and I are staying at the Old Key West too! ^.^ but, Oh I don't think we're going to be THAT busy. usually check in day is just check in day and that's it.. (Well, from what I've read)

That's what I'm hoping to do too! Hospitality Right? I hope to do a Professional Internship as well! :goodvibes

Yes she is thinking about goin into that field ... She is pretty excited about all this and i am excited for her and everyone else that got into the program:yay:

We were arent sure where we are staying at right this moment. I think we need to figure it out so i can book it ...lol, but we are coming up Tuesday morning or afternoon and leaving Saturday ... :) I know we wonts see Nichele much ... so it will be just me and hubby for a few days:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter