Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took advantage of the Chase 10x with Chase Pay at Best Buy last week on my Sapphire Reserve. Just noticed I didn't receive my bonus points, anybody else have any problems with bonus points not posting?

Yikes! I just bought yesterday. I hope it works. My transaction is still pending.

Ugh. I just noticed that it's now only for up to $300. I didn't realize it had changed and bought $400. *sigh* Oh well, I guess at least I get 5% back on that extra $100? It could be worse. Still annoying.

I don't know if what my cashier said is true or not. I hope it's not true, because I much prefer buying my Disney gift cards from Best Buy than Target these days, and deals for Best Buy come a lot more frequently. But I tend to err on the side of caution and would not want to have too much money tied up in Best Buy in the event what she says will happen does happen. I thought this community would want to know what I heard. I haven't heard or read about this anywhere else. But I also didn't think the cashier had any reason to mislead me, and she seemed to know what she was talking about, e.g., she mentioned Best Buy has been tightening its gift card policies, like customers used to be able to return gift cards that didn't have the silver film scratched off, but they don't allow that anymore.

I'm definitely glad you let us know. I think all data points are important and to err on the side of caution, I'm going to go flip everything I have this week. I'm just wondering if we have any other info on this.

I agree...I can cash out Swagbucks for Target or BB. I like the fact that I can redeem at BB for a variable load card so if I have a $25 card and (3) $5 cards, I can get $40 on a Disney card. I don't have to redeem in $25 increments at BB. The risk is that I have ZERO use for BB gift cards other than to buy Disney gift cards. If I were to get "stuck" with Target gift cards, I can always use them for our groceries and household purchases and just shift that money into my Disney funds. Right now, I have $40 in BB points that I need to convert into rewards certificates. I am waiting for my most recent CC statement to close so that I can get those points to post and hopefully I will have enough for a $50 rewards certificate. Then, I will cash them all out and buy a final Disney gift card and call it quits on that card until I hear confirmation one way or the other. Like I said, I really have no use for BB rewards except for the Disney conversion aspect so there is no need for me to keep that credit card if I can't use those rewards anymore.

Ugh. I just noticed that it's now only for up to $300. I didn't realize it had changed and bought $400. *sigh* Oh well, I guess at least I get 5% back on that extra $100? It could be worse. Still annoying.

If you have a screenshot of an email or webpage with the original offer terms of $400, you may be able to get Chase to honor it by sending a secure message. I've seen success stories, but those were from people who spent the $400 before Chase changed the terms.

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. Strange being I have the email from Chase telling me to use the Reserve. I am guessing others do as well.
Fam member did too, I'm confident Chase will eventually fix it but it just might take time. I even got confirmation from their Twitter team that the Best Buy promo is good on my CSR (I didn't get an email) so I'm going to charge on my CSR too before the promo is over but I know it might take awhile for the point issues to straighten out.

So I was at Best Buy this morning buying a Disney gift card with Best Buy gift cards and savings codes, and my cashier told me that FYI starting in February 2018, Best Buy will not allow Best Buy gift cards to be used to purchase third-party gift cards. I asked if it was just this store or a nationwide policy, and she believed it was all Best Buys citing high incidence of fraudulent transactions with gift cards.

Take it for what it’s worth, but my cashier advised if I had any more Best Buy gift cards that I wanted to spend on other gift cards, use them ASAP.

ETA: I think with all the direct deals for Best Buy from Chase Pay and Amex Offers, it’s not too big of a loss. Then there are warehouse clubs that offer upfront discounts on Disney gift cards, and credit cards that give additional cash back. But for those of you who do rewards apps and programs, you may want to reevaluate what gift card you want to pick to cash out.
I called my local Best Buy to check on a change in policy. After being told that there is no upcoming change, the person at Best Buy checked with a supervisor to confirm, and was told they will continue to accept BB gift cards to purchase third party gift cards; the only exception is for cards like Visa gift cards.

I called my local Best Buy to check on a change in policy. After being told that there is no upcoming change, the person at Best Buy checked with a supervisor to confirm, and was told they will continue to accept BB gift cards to purchase third party gift cards; the only exception is for cards like Visa gift cards.

Fingers crossed! If it's just a change in policy at my local store, I don't mind as there are 3 other Best Buys near me and we can all keep humming along. Thanks for doing some legwork on this. We'll see in a few weeks.

So just to confirm, I can use my Best Buy Gift Cards on Visa or Mastercard right now? What is the fee on a $100 vs $50?

So just to confirm, I can use my Best Buy Gift Cards on Visa or Mastercard right now? What is the fee on a $100 vs $50?

Nooo... I don't think Best Buy ever allowed its gift cards to be used to buy Visa, Mastercard or Amex prepaid cards. These prepaid cards are known as open loop cards in Best Buy's fine print. You can't use a BBY GC to buy Visa/MC/Amex cards.

Some stores, some times, sell Visa gift cards in up to $200. YMMV whether your local stores carry them or have them in stock. I believe the fee is $5.95 if you can find them. With the current Chase Pay 10x UR promo, VGCs are a popular way to lock in the savings.

Last edited:
Nooo... I don't think Best Buy ever allowed its gift cards to be used to buy Visa, Mastercard or Amex prepaid cards. These prepaid cards are known as open loop cards in Best Buy's fine print. You can't use a BBY GC to buy Visa/MC/Amex cards.

Some stores, some times, sell Visa gift cards in up to $200. YMMV whether your local stores carry them or have them in stock. I believe the fee is $5.95 if you can find them. With the current Chase Pay 10x UR promo, VGCs are a popular way to lock in the savings.

:sad2: I'm so lost! I get it it now. Hmmm, don't have Chase Pay.

Not a single person who used the CSR received their bonus points. Most were told to call/SM Chase in 1-2 billing cycles, some were told they should see the points within a week of the transaction posting in their activity. You can call or SM if you want but right now this is where we're all at, waiting.

Guess I got lucky with whoever worked my SM. I had the extra points within a few hours of sending my message. I did make sure I said that I received their offer in my email on X date. Seems like everything requires jumping through hoops lately!

This wouldn't be the first time that a cashier made stuff up...I was highly doubtful that they would stop accepting gift card to gift card without any advance notice - we all saw what happened when ebay tried that. Also, the language in the gift card terms and conditions is very clear that they allow it.

I ordered a disney gift card from Sam's club to take advantage of my new Discover It bonus category and got an
email from Sam's club today with free 10 dollars off anything coupon. I just turned around and ordered another
card using it.

I saw on another site where this was offered for NEW online orders but i ordered online last year and got it extra 10 dollars
then and now. Maybe they don't keep track?:o

Please forgive my probably really outdated question: can Target gift cards be used online to purchase Disney gift cards?

Yikes! I just bought yesterday. I hope it works. My transaction is still pending.

I want to take advantage of the Best Buy 10% with my Chase Sapphire. Any updates if your transaction went through and got the points back on the Gift Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter