• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure that this has been shared already but if not, ebates has stopped giving cash back for gift cards purchased from BJ's. I always purchased mine there since it used to make more sense than purchasing it from target for me.

So I was at Best Buy this morning buying a Disney gift card with Best Buy gift cards and savings codes, and my cashier told me that FYI starting in February 2018, Best Buy will not allow Best Buy gift cards to be used to purchase third-party gift cards. I asked if it was just this store or a nationwide policy, and she believed it was all Best Buys citing high incidence of fraudulent transactions with gift cards.

Take it for what it’s worth, but my cashier advised if I had any more Best Buy gift cards that I wanted to spend on other gift cards, use them ASAP.

ETA: I think with all the direct deals for Best Buy from Chase Pay and Amex Offers, it’s not too big of a loss. Then there are warehouse clubs that offer upfront discounts on Disney gift cards, and credit cards that give additional cash back. But for those of you who do rewards apps and programs, you may want to reevaluate what gift card you want to pick to cash out.

Last edited:
I will say I’ll miss taking advantage of the volume and frequency of those Cashstar, PPDG, and Gyft deals for Best Buy gift cards and savings codes, earning 3x UR on my credit card for some of those transactions, and earning Best Buy reward certificates too.

So I was at Best Buy this morning buying a Disney gift card with Best Buy gift cards and savings codes, and my cashier told me that FYI starting in February 2018, Best Buy will not allow Best Buy gift cards to be used to purchase third-party gift cards. I asked if it was just this store or a nationwide policy, and she believed it was all Best Buys citing high incidence of fraudulent transactions with gift cards.

Take it for what it’s worth, but my cashier advised if I had any more Best Buy gift cards that I wanted to spend on other gift cards, use them ASAP.

ETA: I think with all the direct deals for Best Buy from Chase Pay and Amex Offers, it’s not too big of a loss. Then there are warehouse clubs that offer upfront discounts on Disney gift cards, and credit cards that give additional cash back. But for those of you who do rewards apps and programs, you may want to reevaluate what gift card you want to pick to cash out.

Bummer. I wonder if BB rewards certs will die the same death???

I’m not sure. I asked about savings codes and rewards certificates, but my cashier wasn’t sure either. Rewards certificates are tied to your account, so there’s little risk of fraud there. But they also behave like gift cards so I’m not sure if they hard code against GC>GC whether that’ll kill reward certificates too.

The cashiers can see the rewards certificates available on your account if you give them your phone number, and they even ask me if I’d like to apply them to my gift card purchases. If I have any reward certificates after this month, I’ll try them on a gift card.

I will say I’ll miss taking advantage of the volume and frequency of those Cashstar, PPDG, and Gyft deals for Best Buy gift cards and savings codes, earning 3x UR on my credit card for some of those transactions, and earning Best Buy reward certificates too.

Well, if I can't use BB Rewards certificates for Disney gift cards, I will get rid of my BB Visa card. It's the only reason I have that card. It gives me 3% on gas and 2% on dining and groceries and right now, those are the only things I use a credit card for. I only had the card in the first place when we purchased our washer and dryer 2 years ago and needed to do the 24-month financing option. I've accumulated over $500 in rewards outside of BB since getting the card but I won't hesitate to close it if I can't use the rewards towards the Disney gift cards. Looks like I will be cashing those in next week.

FYI starting in February 2018, Best Buy will not allow Best Buy gift cards to be used to purchase third-party gift cards.

WOW! Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely be making a trip to BB tomorrow!

Agreed.

I'm sure that this has been shared already but if not, ebates has stopped giving cash back for gift cards purchased from BJ's. I always purchased mine there since it used to make more sense than purchasing it from target for me.

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea. Ugh i feel like every hole is being closed.

Just today purchased $100 BB card from Rite Aid ($16 back in bucks)....so I decided I better take the $300 I have in BB cards to get my Disney. (Usually wait till I have $500 and get one card).
Had to check out at customer service since no one was maning the register (hardly anyone ever is...lol) and my cashier said nothing about the policy. He even said oh you’re using gift cards. I’m really hoping they don’t change this! I’m going to chance getting one more card from rite aid....

I did notice that you can no longer use a gift card online to purchase a Disney GC. Not sure if this has been posted before but I have done this on the past at BB.

It is kind of weird actually. I recently changed my email with Chase (changing from work email to personal). I have 3 cards that have the offer. 2 of the emails went to the newly changed personal and the other one went to my old work one. Maybe they are sending them out and it is going into a spam folder or something for you?

My Freedom charge posted this morning for the $300 worth of Disney Gift cards I got at Best Buy. 3000 UR points. Now I am thinking maybe I should go back and use it on my Reserve and FU.

My embarrassing question for the day if someone can make sure I am right: for once we are staying onsite at WDW. Since we are instead of carrying around gift cards like I usually do I thought I might as well take advantage of the room charging privileges. Am I right that how it will work is we just scan our band, enter our pin, and then before check out stop by the front desk and pay off the room bill with the gift cards? Is that right? Anything I should be aware of with that plan?
I charge everything to my magic band. On the day I checkout, I pay my bill with credit cards. I want Disney to charge my Barclay's Arrival card since I can later redeem my Arrival points towards the charge even though Disney credits my account. I've done this several times without problems.

So do we have any way of knowing for sure/verifying what the cashier said? So far we only have one report, right? I mean, just in case, I'm going to cash in everything I have, but I was just curious if there has been chatter on any of the big money saving websites or if we an corroborate this elsewhere.

So do we have any way of knowing for sure/verifying what the cashier said? So far we only have one report, right? I mean, just in case, I'm going to cash in everything I have, but I was just curious if there has been chatter on any of the big money saving websites or if we an corroborate this elsewhere.

I don't know if what my cashier said is true or not. I hope it's not true, because I much prefer buying my Disney gift cards from Best Buy than Target these days, and deals for Best Buy come a lot more frequently. But I tend to err on the side of caution and would not want to have too much money tied up in Best Buy in the event what she says will happen does happen. I thought this community would want to know what I heard. I haven't heard or read about this anywhere else. But I also didn't think the cashier had any reason to mislead me, and she seemed to know what she was talking about, e.g., she mentioned Best Buy has been tightening its gift card policies, like customers used to be able to return gift cards that didn't have the silver film scratched off, but they don't allow that anymore.

I don't know if what my cashier said is true or not. I hope it's not true, because I much prefer buying my Disney gift cards from Best Buy than Target these days, and deals for Best Buy come a lot more frequently. But I tend to err on the side of caution and would not want to have too much money tied up in Best Buy in the event what she says will happen does happen. I thought this community would want to know what I heard. I haven't heard or read about this anywhere else. But I also didn't think the cashier had any reason to mislead me, and she seemed to know what she was talking about, e.g., she mentioned Best Buy has been tightening its gift card policies, like customers used to be able to return gift cards that didn't have the silver film scratched off, but they don't allow that anymore.

I'm definitely glad you let us know. I think all data points are important and to err on the side of caution, I'm going to go flip everything I have this week. I'm just wondering if we have any other info on this.

Took advantage of the Chase 10x with Chase Pay at Best Buy last week on my Sapphire Reserve. Just noticed I didn't receive my bonus points, anybody else have any problems with bonus points not posting?

Took advantage of the Chase 10x with Chase Pay at Best Buy last week on my Sapphire Reserve. Just noticed I didn't receive my bonus points, anybody else have any problems with bonus points not posting?
Not a single person who used the CSR received their bonus points. Most were told to call/SM Chase in 1-2 billing cycles, some were told they should see the points within a week of the transaction posting in their activity. You can call or SM if you want but right now this is where we're all at, waiting.

Not a single person who used the CSR received their bonus points. Most were told to call/SM Chase in 1-2 billing cycles, some were told they should see the points within a week of the transaction posting in their activity. You can call or SM if you want but right now this is where we're all at, waiting.

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. Strange being I have the email from Chase telling me to use the Reserve. I am guessing others do as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter