Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I think it's definitely not a surprise to Riviera owners, but I remember when I first starting researching WDW, Pop lovers mentioned its bus service (because it doesn't share) more than anything else. I imagine there are some angry Pop lovers.
Wouldn't those have to be Guests who seldom or never visit Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Disney Springs...?

I think it's definitely not a surprise to Riviera owners, but I remember when I first starting researching WDW, Pop lovers mentioned its bus service (because it doesn't share) more than anything else. I imagine there are some angry Pop lovers.

Well, definitely POP fans who are also not fans of the Skyliner

But you would still need buses to AK and MK and this doesn't reduce the number to those locations so still get that benefit vs other "values"

I think there are many more POP guests who consider the Skyliner as a huge upgrade. For years posters have been complaining about Disney buses. Hoping for monorail expansion or some other form of upgraded transportation.

Right?

It’s generally accepted than when it comes to solely transportation, the resorts that have more than just buses have a leg up on those that are bus only. It’s one of the main cons people have with an otherwise amazing resort, AKL. I think when people talk about how good the Pop buses are, most don’t mean they’re better than other transportation options, rather they’re better than buses at other resorts because at least it’s just one stop. I don’t think people are referring to them being that much more efficient than other resorts (that’s hit or miss no matter where you are IMO), or you get a seat more often, they come more often, etc.

I think the majority probably do consider it an upgrade.

I am a "Pop lover" and I think the Skyliner is a game changer. I went from being excited, to being worried, to actually riding it and loving it. I hate the buses.

Now with that being said, I do not believe Pop rooms are worth $200 a night. Yes the Skyliner is an upgrade, but not if it isn't running as early as the buses have always run.

We aren't going back to WDW for 2 years, but we already plan to stay at the Swan or Dolphin unless some crazy deal is going on or we drive and stay offsite. Many things can happen in 2 years at Disney!

I am a "Pop lover" and I think the Skyliner is a game changer. I went from being excited, to being worried, to actually riding it and loving it. I hate the buses.

Now with that being said, I do not believe Pop rooms are worth $200 a night. Yes the Skyliner is an upgrade, but not if it isn't running as early as the buses have always run.

We aren't going back to WDW for 2 years, but we already plan to stay at the Swan or Dolphin unless some crazy deal is going on or we drive and stay offsite. Many things can happen in 2 years at Disney!

That price is crazy. As are the rack rates for most of the resorts, IMO. I guess $200 a night at Pop makes sense when you turn around and charge over $300 for a moderate 😬.

That price is crazy. As are the rack rates for most of the resorts, IMO. I guess $200 a night at Pop makes sense when you turn around and charge over $300 for a moderate 😬.

Compared to what I have paid in the past it’s just too much. Especially with the downgrade of the menu at the food court.

I don't think this is a huge surprise to anyone that has followed the skyliner build for any length of time.
I think some may be surprised that it took this long.
Operationally they'll figure out a way to cut the bus service back as far as they can.
They can dispatch a bus as needed if their is a break down.
Aside from the first week, the skyliner has been mechanically sound. Stoppages of late have been to guest emergencies or failure to load/unload guests in the window of time needed.
I'd say the pop line, and the cbr-dhs line are unquestionable successes. The epcot line also a success, but lower. I think the the combo turn/load station is the thing that lowers it's ratings. I would think it's a given that more lines are in disney's future, but I'd be surprised if there was another turn/load station like at the Riviera. I don't think it's a failure, but I think the turn station just can't load as efficiently with ECV's etc.

I think there are many more POP guests who consider the Skyliner as a huge upgrade. For years posters have been complaining about Disney buses. Hoping for monorail expansion or some other form of upgraded transportation.
I've heard quite the opposite from Pop guests in that their bus transportation has been amazing!! I've stayed at Pop 30+ times and the buses were great! Yes, we often need to walk further to a stop but that was the only small negative I've experienced.

On the contrary I've been at the bus stops at some of the moderate and deluxe resorts that are more 'free for all' loading and have found that stressful. We were at AKL waiting for a bus for DS and when one finally arrived, people all just pushed in due to having no actual queue and we had to wait for another bus.

I'll take Pop/AoA buses with their park queues any day over other resorts where it's each person for themself.
Wouldn't those have to be Guests who seldom or never visit Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Disney Springs...?
I think regardless of where people stay they still visit all 4 parks and DS. We stay at Pop which is close to Epcot and DHS but it in no way hinders me from going to MK, AK or DS. I just plan more travel time for those resorts.

I've found it interesting when I hear people rave about the monorail being so close to the MK! Yes, they are and that's a huge bonus but other resorts are closer to other parks so that works for them.

I've found it interesting when I hear people rave about the monorail being so close to the MK! Yes, they are and that's a huge bonus but other resorts are closer to other parks so that works for them.

Very true. Everyone's got a preference but I think all of the Skyliner (& also the Epcot walkable) resorts have a great sweet spot. You're a very short bus ride to MK or AK from Pop/AoA. If the bus is there when you walk up to the stop, you're about 15mins ride for either of them. Compared to driving, parking, taking a tram, and then Monorail/Ferry to MK, you're probably on Main Street with a Pop bus before you're on the monorail or ferry if you drove.

Monorail resorts get you nightly fireworks views and the water pageant. Skyliner resorts get you ~20min transportation to any park, as long as the Skyliner's going.

I would agree that the Epcot area resorts are the sweet spot in most cases.

Sometimes the MK resorts work better for us though, because so much of our dining is clustered in the MK/MK resort area, we are more likely to leave MK than the other 3 parks for a midday break, and MK often has the latest hours and latest nighttime entertainment, cutting down that evening travel time with small kids. They definitely leave something to be desired for the other 3 parks though. Although Epcot is not too bad from the Poly (especially now they they’ve fixed the security situation at Epcot!).

I think the under appreciated perk of some of the resorts is the walking distance to the park.
Contemporary/bay lake and soon Floridian and to an extent Poly have that benefit. For epcot, board walk, beach and yacht club and even swan and dolphin.
I was very surprised that the next DVC was at the old river country site. I would think the front of epcot would be the ideal next spot.
While the perk of a boat, monorail or skyliner is very real, there is something to be said for just walking out your door and to the park.

I have to wonder if the Riviera was envisioned before or after the skyliner was envisioned?

Hi there, I am sorry if this has already been talked about, I tried to find any information on it and did not so I apologize if this is repetitive but I'm going to HS on the 19th and am staying at Caribbean beach. I am attempting to arrive early enough to be in a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance so my question is, does the skyliner open early enough to make this a possibility and if not, would the buses run early enough for this to be an option? Thank you in advance!

Hi there, I am sorry if this has already been talked about, I tried to find any information on it and did not so I apologize if this is repetitive but I'm going to HS on the 19th and am staying at Caribbean beach. I am attempting to arrive early enough to be in a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance so my question is, does the skyliner open early enough to make this a possibility and if not, would the buses run early enough for this to be an option? Thank you in advance!
A bus or an Uber/Lyft/taxi is your best option. The Skyliner, so far, hasn't been running early enough to insure you get to DHS with plenty of time to get through the mob and get ready to get a BG. The buses have been running early enough, just be sure to be at the bus stop with spare time as you want to catch a bus and not have to wait for the next one.

No, the skyliner has not been running early enough but the busses have. I would get to the stop no later than 6 to be on the safeside, 545 is better though. Edited to add for a 7 am opening. So at least an hour before the park opens.

What about using the Skyliner to get to Epcot for EMH? Does it start up before 8 a.m.?

Does anyone else find it strange that they don’t start earlier in the morning. With all the people wanting to get to the Studio and EPCOT for EMH’s

Does anyone else find it strange that they don’t start earlier in the morning. With all the people wanting to get to the Studio and EPCOT for EMH’s

They were running at 6am Thanksgiving week for 7am EMH. I am not sure why they aren't being consistent with that.

Epcot does not have 7am EMH.

What is the typical start up time for the Skyliner? And is it running at park closing for Epcot and HS?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter